Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2024 Football Looking Ahead

appdaze

2024 Football Looking Ahead

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:56 pm

Now that it's over and our guys pulled this season out of the pig pile we can look to the future. Coach and players earned the early season criticism just as much as they have earned the second half praise. The one point I'll make about Clark is his ego. Many coaches out there (I'm looking at you Jimbo) are too arrogant to make the right changes, but Clark was humble enough to do what was best for the team.

So we have Joey giving his word he's coming back.

Important players coming back but some big holes to fill.

Coaching staff should remain intact unless someone leaves.

So we have ETSU, Clemson, ECU, Liberty in that order. Throw in conference schedule.

What will our record be?

What are the top 3 positions to fill? Be specific, don't just say Oline.

How would you like our offense/defense schemes to change?

How much would you pay for a single season ticket? Ignore current prices.

Is tailgating still worth the price to you?

How do you see the portal affecting us over the next 5 years?

If we can't compete with the NIL, how can we overcome this to the best of our resources?

What should we do with the GameDay experience?

Whats a change you would like to see with interactions between fans and athletic admin?

Just some questions to chew on. I'm not going to ask the wildly theoretical ones like conference realignment etc...because it's just not worth it. Lets keep it App focused and things within our powers to actually do something.

appdaze

Re: 2024 Football Looking Ahead

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:12 pm

What will our record be?

9 regular season wins. Fingers crossed a bowl win for #10.

What are the top 3 positions to fill? Be specific, don't just say Oline.

CB, safety, QB depth.

How would you like our offense/defense schemes to change?

I would love to see more TE work.

How much would you pay for a single season ticket? Ignore current prices.

In my position $80 per seat per game.

Is tailgating still worth the price to you?

Nope.

How do you see the portal affecting us over the next 5 years?

Badly for losing our diamonds in thr rough that we develop into stars. Good for higher tier players looking for playtime and success.

If we can't compete with the NIL, how can we overcome this to the best of our resources?

We have to put more players in the NFL. If we become known as pro talent developers then we will get more players that keep their future in mind instead of what they can get right now.

What should we do with the GameDay experience?

Do better with the music and let our Band do more.

Whats a change you would like to see with interactions between fans and athletic admin?

More incentives for fans to come to non football sports events. Some more events for non yosef club members.

BUTCH1991
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:24 pm

Beat ETSU!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:44 pm

I would like 10 wins.
We need more Tackles for oline
Run counters in short yardage
More Corner blitz with Olb covering
More interaction: get my lazy butt up to volleyball match
Bring Your A Game!

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:06 pm

These are 5 things I want, listed by importance. If we get 3 of these or more, I think a 10 win season is a reasonable expectation.

1. Coaching staff stay intact. We need a full offseason of no turnover at coordinator, S&C and key position groups.

2. Address holes in the secondary. This will be through the portal and just our younger guys improving with a full offseason.

3. Add trench monsters. OT and interior DL.

4. Add a playmaker or two to WR room. We have quite a few guys who make good plays but aren’t consistent each week. This is also necessary because we still aren’t sure who is coming back in this group. Robinson and Horn can both leave if they choose.

5. Give Kanye Roberts the appropriate coaching to improve into a reliable every down back. He has the tools but just needs a bit more consistency in certain areas.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:26 pm

We can win with what we are doing, but if we want to take the next step the offense has to evolve. It seems like we have become a one dimensional passing team with a lot of 50/50 passes that are well covered.

Under Saterfield and Drink we may only have 1 or 2 routes running pass routes but the plays were so well disguised they would be wide open high percentage passes. When Chase got here it seems we went to a pro style offense with out pro players. I don't like it and I don't get it. I do think coaching is VERY important at the college level and the coaches need to help the players get open. Passing or running, we seem to have the notion we are going to line up and force our will on other teams. As someone on here says often....the other teams practice and play hard as well.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:33 pm

To win the League we have to get better in the trenches. Everything else is in place ( as of this writing).

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:34 pm

I’d love to see App win 3/4 of the nonconference games. Clemson and Liberty will both be tough, but I think App can win at least one of those.

I’m looking forward to seeing a very young defense have another offseason to work together, learn, and get stronger.

It’s hard to nit pick an offense that was pretty consistently great all year. However, I would like to see more diversity in run plays. Read option, pitch options, counters, etc. Obviously, we don’t want Joey getting hurt, but I’d like to see some designed runs for him as well- not too many, but enough that the defense has to worry about it.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:05 pm

Someone went through our offensive line depth and initially we look ok next season.
I'm sure we grab some legit depth in the portal. How does our defensive line look assuming all return? Assuming Joey does indeed return he can make any new receivers look great. He spreads the love. Would like to see him tuck and run on that triple RPO play that can be impossible to stop. I don't want to even guess on the record but if the pieces return the sky is the limit.

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:34 pm

Find nastiness for both lines in the portal. Shore up the secondary thru portal. Someone on current roster ramps up performance in critical position.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:28 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:05 pm
Someone went through our offensive line depth and initially we look ok next season.
I'm sure we grab some legit depth in the portal. How does our defensive line look assuming all return? Assuming Joey does indeed return he can make any new receivers look great. He spreads the love. Would like to see him tuck and run on that triple RPO play that can be impossible to stop. I don't want to even guess on the record but if the pieces return the sky is the limit.
We lose the three anchors of the O line in the middle and our tackles were at best inconsistent.Are there five championship level starters on the roster ? Are there five that can take us there as a unit?

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:37 pm

We seem to get whipped in predictable short yardage situations, whether it's the obligatory up the gut or our stretch run is too slow in developing, our conference opponents know how to stop it it's not an anomaly anymore. Lots of our best running plays this season were the backs taking counter moves against the flow of our stretch whether it's by design or their own choreography, not because we were great at run blocking. Our running philosophy may need to be taken a look at like our defense was mid-season.

Pass blocking this season was excellent.

Our passing game was excellent.

We need to get bigger on the D Line. We did a lot undersized however during the second half of the season.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:30 pm

I was encouraged to see more “read and react” type running plays late in the Cure Bowl. Castle appeared to hesitate an instant before deciding on which hole to run through, much like Wake Forest did during the successful Sam Hartman days. Maybe it was the weather or maybe Miami was just worn out, but it worked well and seemed like a new wrinkle to our offense.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:54 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:30 pm
I was encouraged to see more “read and react” type running plays late in the Cure Bowl. Castle appeared to hesitate an instant before deciding on which hole to run through, much like Wake Forest did during the successful Sam Hartman days. Maybe it was the weather or maybe Miami was just worn out, but it worked well and seemed like a new wrinkle to our offense.
And that seemed to be where we were exposed defensively in the run game. Backs would hide between a big OL and then find the seam. On Miami’s long TD run, our outside guy slid inside anticipating a run to the offense’s left and there was no containment around the right side.
Vidal for Troy did the same thing and then just gashed us when we were exhausted.
Also, the off tackle run to the offenses right has yielded tons of chunk plays the last two years.
If we can make teams one-dimensional, our defense tended to be solid with the pass rush and in the secondary during the 7-1 portion of the season.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:58 pm

Conference play is between Louisiana and Arkansas State as well. With the East and having Louisiana and Arkansas State, even a one or two loss App State team should get the CFP bid over an equal loss AAC team and less loss C-USA team.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:20 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:58 pm
Conference play is between Louisiana and Arkansas State as well. With the East and having Louisiana and Arkansas State, even a one or two loss App State team should get the CFP bid over an equal loss AAC team and less loss C-USA team.
Is Ark St and UL confirmed? How did I miss this?

GO APPS!!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:40 am

appstate24 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:20 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:58 pm
Is Ark St and UL confirmed? How did I miss this?

GO APPS!!
That's the Rotation. By my count App has played Southern Miss, ULM, Texas State, South Alabama, and Troy. That leaves only Arkansas State and Louisiana.

I'm not sure if Louisiana is improving or not but it's quite easy to see that Arkansas State has.

So App's schedule includes the always Uber talented Clemson teams, an ECU team that has no where to go but up and just got a former 4 star QB in the portal who looks pretty good to go along with their new coordinator who came from Ole Miss, Liberty Bibberty, and an FCS squad.

That's 10 teams who went bowling in the 2024 schedule. It's going to be hard, and that's why I've said that if App has one or two losses, consideration for the CFP should be easy.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:44 am

One loss , possibly. Two, doubtful. Santa bring linemen that can play at a championship level!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:59 am

Although I love some App. St. football, I do not see a G5 team getting into the playoffs with two losses unless their entire no conference schedule is 4 P5 teams and that G5 team wins all of them or 3 out of 4 of them...and two of the opponents will need to finish is upper part of their conference. IMHO.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:12 am

We haven't played USA the past two years which is when everything reset. So Ark. State, UL, and USA are all options for next year.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”