Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New NCAA anti trust challenge

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

New NCAA anti trust challenge

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:55 pm

Looks like the NCAA is going to get tested again. At first look, this has legs and could change the entire landscape very quickly (well as quickly as it makes it through the courts). I have to believe the NCAA had some news of this coming down the pike and that is why they released their proposal to add a new subdivision where the schools pay athletes directly through a trust.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... tting-paid

ASUTodd

Re: New NCAA anti trust challenge

Unread post by ASUTodd » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:03 pm

It's ridiculous now. Just shut down the sports for colleges and let them be about learning. If some folks want to get together and give athletes a place to play their sports...so be it. I'm over all of this junk.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:12 pm

God I love Div 3

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:23 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:03 pm
It's ridiculous now. Just shut down the sports for colleges and let them be about learning. If some folks want to get together and give athletes a place to play their sports...so be it. I'm over all of this junk.
Club sports for all!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:32 pm

After the Alston case got decided, my thinking was that things had to get really bad in order for the NCAA to get themselves an anti trust exemption which would enable them to be able to have the power to regulate the system. So, the NCAA shows that they have no power by doing nothing for several years and we all see what has come of that. Things have gotten really bad. Apparently, Congress wasn't willing to grant an anti trust exemption until they saw the NCAA trying to solve it's own problems. My best guess is that the latest suggestions by the NCAA are designed to show Congress that they can more fairly legislate (and allow athletes to be compensated without direct pay) and it is being done for the sole reason to get the anti trust exemption. Once the anti trust exemption is granted (may take some time still) the NCAA will be able to have meaningful governance of the vast majority of participant schools, I expect all but the very largest and wealthiest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”