Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Next year starters??

Bigdaddyg1
School: Appalachian State

Next year starters??

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:49 pm

A whole lot can change with transfers and roster turnover but if nothing crazy changes shouldn't we have a pretty decent 2 deep next season? We know that if they return we have all of the backs, receivers, QB's and most of the TE's. Who do we lose on the offensive and defensive lines? How about the backers and secondary? What young guys do we anticipate taking spots or at least significant snaps? Never too early to get an idea.

ASUTodd

Re: Next year starters??

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:41 pm

I'm curious if Burger and Joey both stay. Right now it may not be the talk of the players or locker room but they are both starters just about any G5 school.... And if a P5 wants to take someone like Joey.... What's preventing a nice NIL from luring him away. I know there was discussion about whether he would even be eligible to transfer again or not. I don't remember if there was a definitive answer on his status.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:55 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:41 pm
I'm curious if Burger and Joey both stay. Right now it may not be the talk of the players or locker room but they are both starters just about any G5 school.... And if a P5 wants to take someone like Joey.... What's preventing a nice NIL from luring him away. I know there was discussion about whether he would even be eligible to transfer again or not. I don't remember if there was a definitive answer on his status.
With Joey, I just see it different. We gave him a nod out of the JuCo ranks and the coaching staff has developed him. He’s surrounded by talent at the skill positions. Why would he want to leave.

Burger will likely take a medical redshirt. If he’s willing to hang around he’s the solid #2 and can take over in 2025. His position is definitely a little more fluid. But, I don’t think we’re at a place where every young man is going to leave the program if they are not a guaranteed starter.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:30 pm

Interior oline depth will be the biggest need.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:34 pm

On the OL we lose Helms, Daley and Bucky. The likely first ups will be Gentry and Scroggs at the guards and either Sweat or Seth Williams at Center. Defense loses Parker Funderburke and possibly Ross.

I don’t worry about the possibility of transfers.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:35 pm

We need OL from portal. Period. IMHO
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:35 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:30 pm
Interior oline depth will be the biggest need.
Agree. If we were ever going to hit the portal it would be when it immediately opens and get 3-4 big experienced linemen. Next year could be really special and we don't need a patchwork line.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:40 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:35 pm
Any particular position? Are you looking for depth or starters?

Here is what is coming back. (Off the top of my head)
Samual
Ramsey
Gentry
Scroggs
Murphy
Seth Williams
Stevens
All of the above played this year

Soloman
Ridolph
Sweatt
and as of today you have 5 Freshman coming in next year.

That’s 15 guys and you typically settle in on 8 guys.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:45 pm

I think we already addressed our guards this year with Gentry and Scroggs. I would say we add a center or another tackle depending on the development of Sweatt. 2, maybe 3 depth pieces max.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:10 pm

I hadn't looked and didn't really know the deal on offensive line. On paper doesn't look terrible. We just don't need any drop off.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:35 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:40 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:

Samual
Ramsey
Gentry
Scroggs
Murphy
Seth Williams
Hertz

Soloman
Ridolph
Sweatt

I do not care about any particular position. My personal opinion is that, to be elite on offense, we need to average 200+ yards a game. If we are able to do that with Joey Dimes and receiving corp, we are difficult to stop and games may not be taking years off my life expectancy with each week of close games🤣.. I discount the Ga St game to a certain degree as I believe their tean has given up a bit given results over the past 4 weeks. If you take out that game, not sure we are averaging 150 yards in conference. I also believe this is why we are throwing the ball more. I like that we are.
If the guys above are that talented...then maybe the portal is not needed. A very good offensive lineman can be elite at the run game and good at pass protection....or be elite at pass protection and good in run game or elite at both..I just do not see that with the entire group. Sone individual players yes...some not so much.
If all offense and defense returning players come back, we have the potential to be very good... however I am not sure if OL will be our strength which I would like it to be.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:03 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:35 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Samual
Ramsey
Gentry
Scroggs
Murphy
Seth Williams
Hertz

Soloman
Ridolph
Sweatt

I do not care about any particular position. My personal opinion is that, to be elite on offense, we need to average 200+ yards a game. If we are able to do that with Joey Dimes and receiving corp, we are difficult to stop and games may not be taking years off my life expectancy with each week of close games🤣.. I discount the Ga St game to a certain degree as I believe their tean has given up a bit given results over the past 4 weeks. If you take out that game, not sure we are averaging 150 yards in conference. I also believe this is why we are throwing the ball more. I like that we are.
If the guys above are that talented...then maybe the portal is not needed. A very good offensive lineman can be elite at the run game and good at pass protection....or be elite at pass protection and good in run game or elite at both..I just do not see that with the entire group. Sone individual players yes...some not so much.
If all offense and defense returning players come back, we have the potential to be very good... however I am not sure if OL will be our strength which I would like it to be.
I feel you on the taking time off of life. I lost 5 years yesterday alone. I think any activity or no activity in the off-season in this position will tell you what they think of what they have. So you have 14 above that are scholarships. Hertz is a walk on. But how many OL guys can occupy your 85 allotment?

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:52 pm

Will Brendan Harrington stay for one last year?

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:28 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:35 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Samual
Ramsey
Gentry
Scroggs
Murphy
Seth Williams
Hertz

Soloman
Ridolph
Sweatt

It's a good goal, there are 15 of the 130 teams averaging over 200 yards per game rushing. Three of them Army, Navy and Air Force. We are currently at 171.5, which is 48th. That is third in the Sun Belt. Louisiana is 34th and GaSt is 38th
We average 152 .1 yards per game in conference/135 without the GaSt game
But we are averaging 297.9 yards per game passing in conference and Joey has had four 300+ yards passing in conference.

But, last year many complained because teams were loading the box and we were still running into it. If teams are still scheming to stop the run, that could affect things (last year we averaged almost 39 rushing attempts per game in conference, this year we average 34 in conference). So, maybe the play calling is better and we are taking what the defense it giving us.

If we have 10 returning OL, plus the 5 Freshman (as AppSt94 mentioned), we may not be in bad shape

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:06 pm

Just projecting what it could look like after Spring ball. Starter first and the backup

LT Samuel -Gentry
LG Gentry - Seth Williams - Scroggs
C Caden Sweatt - Seth Williams - Scroggs
RG Scroggs - Seth Williams - Stevens
RT Murphy - Ramsey

So you have a two deep and some 3 deep with 8 guys. Add second year guys Rudolf and Soloman and the five recruits and you have some depth if needed.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:01 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:55 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:41 pm
With Joey, I just see it different. We gave him a nod out of the JuCo ranks and the coaching staff has developed him. He’s surrounded by talent at the skill positions. Why would he want to leave.

Burger will likely take a medical redshirt. If he’s willing to hang around he’s the solid #2 and can take over in 2025. His position is definitely a little more fluid. But, I don’t think we’re at a place where every young man is going to leave the program if they are not a guaranteed starter.
100% He's SR next year. Why try to learn a new system when this one is working? Don't understand why people are so worried about the TP.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:17 am

Good breakdown on the O line. We have to feel good about those prospects. Losing Parker on D will sting but we seem to have a good grasp on linebacker development. Overall how many current starters will graduate? We seem to be doing pretty well with finding that 2-3 or so players who come in for the one year of graduate status.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:47 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:17 am
Good breakdown on the O line. We have to feel good about those prospects. Losing Parker on D will sting but we seem to have a good grasp on linebacker development. Overall how many current starters will graduate? We seem to be doing pretty well with finding that 2-3 or so players who come in for the one year of graduate status.
On offense: Daley, Bucky, Helms and Gibbs graduate. I think that Helms has another year available if he wants. There are a couple of things that I am aware of that factor in on both sides so I don’t know which way he is leaning.

Defense: Parker and Funderburke are done. Ross, like Helms, has another year if he desires.

There are some guys classified as Juniors that could be done as well.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:44 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:47 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:17 am
On offense: Daley, Bucky, Helms and Gibbs graduate. I think that Helms has another year available if he wants. There are a couple of things that I am aware of that factor in on both sides so I don’t know which way he is leaning.

Defense: Parker and Funderburke are done. Ross, like Helms, has another year if he desires.

There are some guys classified as Juniors that could be done as well.
Do you think EJ Jackson will decide to use his extra year? A month ago, the answer would have been no probably.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:00 pm

We've got some young stars on the DL. Most eligible to return, just have to hold off other suitors.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”