Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Can we fix this

School: Appalachian State

Re: Can we fix this

Unread post by 8993 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:34 am

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:26 am
ah59396 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:33 am
UCF went 0-12 then 13-0 two seasons later. Of course it’s fixable. We are App State.
Again, I point to our rivals, GA Southern. They went 3-9 in Chad Lunsford’s last year, and he was fired mid season. Last year, they brought in Clay Helton. He went 6-7 with a loss in the Camellia Bowl (and beat App, if y’all somehow don’t remember). Southern is 5-2 currently. If those idiots can do it, App can do it. Firing Clark isn’t going to send App State football into the wilderness unless they make another bad hire.
And Doug hasn't made bad hires. He knows that his career and standing is on the line with this next move and hire, so he will do everything he can to get it right. I still fully trust Doug, even with this Shawn Clark mess.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:48 am

8993 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:34 am
MrCraig wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
UCF went 0-12 then 13-0 two seasons later. Of course it’s fixable. We are App State.
Again, I point to our rivals, GA Southern. They went 3-9 in Chad Lunsford’s last year, and he was fired mid season. Last year, they brought in Clay Helton. He went 6-7 with a loss in the Camellia Bowl (and beat App, if y’all somehow don’t remember). Southern is 5-2 currently. If those idiots can do it, App can do it. Firing Clark isn’t going to send App State football into the wilderness unless they make another bad hire.
And Doug hasn't made bad hires. He knows that his career and standing is on the line with this next move and hire, so he will do everything he can to get it right. I still fully trust Doug, even with this Shawn Clark mess.
How can you say that? He hired Clark. We were an absolute top G5 program coming off '17, '18, and '19. I have been saying this since December of 2019: Clark was not qualified. To say he was the best we could do is nonsense. Who turned us down? Then, Gillin extended him. What exactly merited that extension? Some rumor that Georgia Tech was sniffing around him. And ummm, what's our record against FBS opponents since that extension? Gillin had meaningfully improved our fundraising. And has done a good job with facilities improvements. But water fountains weren't turned on for the season opener. No more "in DG I trust". It's time for him to prove he's the man. It's time for him to prove he's worth the half mil he's paid.

Unread post by 8993 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:50 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:48 am
8993 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:34 am
MrCraig wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
How can you say that? He hired Clark. We were an absolute top G5 program coming off '17, '18, and '19. I have been saying this since December of 2019: Clark was not qualified. To say he was the best we could do is nonsense. Who turned us down? Then, Gillin extended him. What exactly merited that extension? Some rumor that Georgia Tech was sniffing around him. And ummm, what's our record against FBS opponents since that extension? Gillin had meaningfully improved our fundraising. And has done a good job with facilities improvements. But water fountains weren't turned on for the season opener. No more "in DG I trust". It's time for him to prove he's the man. It's time for him to prove he's worth the half mil he's paid.
Just pointing out here that I didn't include Shawn Clark as one of Doug's successes or good hires.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:56 am

DG played a hunch and it hasn’t worked. He knows it and I’m sure he has a plan to make a change which will result in a brutal pportal exodus.

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:00 am

CoachRob wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:26 pm
There's no studs on this team, maybe some young talent, but other than Nate Noel and maybe Robinson, there's no dominate talent, no alpha males, on this team and it shows. Won't be fixed until this young talent grows up to be playmakers.
Exactly - PLUS - no true leaders on the team. I am not saying we don't have any leaders - just not the caliber we had in the past. And... that started a year or so ago when we had players going back and forth on the sidelines. That is not new to the this team.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:15 am

Yosef1986 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:00 am
CoachRob wrote:
There's no studs on this team, maybe some young talent, but other than Nate Noel and maybe Robinson, there's no dominate talent, no alpha males, on this team and it shows. Won't be fixed until this young talent grows up to be playmakers.
Exactly - PLUS - no true leaders on the team. I am not saying we don't have any leaders - just not the caliber we had in the past. And... that started a year or so ago when we had players going back and forth on the sidelines. That is not new to the this team.
Lack of defensive playmakers is glaring. No Ducks, Hayes, Stouts, ADGs, SJCs, Simms, & Jackson's on this Defense that just flat out make plays and elevated the rest of the defense. Same on Offense, other than Noel, no Coxs, Moores, Evans, Suttons, or Hennigans to go to when you HAVE to have a play. Don't see a dominate Lineman on this team getting an NFL look either like your Gossetts, Nunns, & Neuzils, but I could be wrong.
We whiffed so bad on recruiting from Coaching changes through covid and I'm afraid it has cost Clark his job.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:23 am

If we missed that bad on recruiting why is every game a one score game?

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:36 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:23 am
If we missed that bad on recruiting why is every game a one score game?
Or how did we go toe-to-toe with UNC? Or how did our garbage defense hold Wyoming to 200 total yards and 7 1st down? Wyoming got 320 and 24 v. Texas Tech and 291 anf 17 v. a pretty good Texas team.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:45 am

Of our 4 losses this season, not only have they all been by 1 score or less, but our opponents have all scored with 2 minutes or less left in the game to beat us. The failure to execute at the end of the game is a glaring issue. It doesn’t appear to be a conditioning issue, but I guess it could be. It seems more that we just can’t make the plays in crunch time when we have to.
Give 'em hell!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:56 am

app_gorilla wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:12 am
CoachRob wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:03 am
app_gorilla wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:36 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:28 pm
app_gorilla wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:14 pm

Ok. I just have a sneaking suspicion you wouldn't tell the players I mentioned they are not "alpha males" to their face.
Aren't you cute ... would like to provide proof otherwise? Or just use sarcasm instead of provide any logical argument.
Maybe you can prove your point to me by you expressing to Coach Clark how you feel about his job? Maybe?
Only you can provide proof you'll walk up to Isiah Helms and call him a beta male.

I eagerly await such proof and will gladly donate the specified sum when it is provided.
1st, You assumed an insult.
2nd, You named players.
Seem like proof is on you.

So tell me, why did you name the players that you did, and what is it about them that make them the "alpha males" that I "insulted"? I'd love to hear since you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject. I'm sure you can enlighten us all. Please share.
Hey, maybe they're not. But they'd kick your ass.

So for the folks at home:

Alpha males > our senior players >>> you.

Have a good evening.
Do your parents know you are using the computer?

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:57 am

Agree. If we were getting blown out and looking like ECU then you can say it's a lack of talent or recruiting issue. I can't recall so many games with so many crucial mistakes. Last night before we got that last punt I predicted 3 runs and a punt. Wow we threw 9 yards to a tight end. Ok now 2 plays for a yard and burn clock. Nope we did an RPO and Joey dropped the ball and it's 3rd and 5. Against Wyoming our receiver gets stripped. Then a blocked kick. Play after play going south. Defense out of position or taking bad angles has led to too many big plays by opponents. Overall our secondary just looks slow. Last night they played 15 yards off of the receivers. Brutal

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:01 am

CoachRob wrote:
I think we are in a phase where the game has evolved quickly because of the money grab, and we didn't stay in step and are stuck in the past of the way we did/do things. The portal is the new way to be competitive. Our level mostly can't recruit guys ready to contribute and make differences like bringing in better and ready talent than we could initially recruit, sign and develop. If we do have exceptionally good players, they will likely get poached. It is almost always mentioned on a broadcast that 30 players were brought in to xyz team, and they seem to be the ones kicking ass. What our culture is, will need to evolve quickly or the last 2 years are the norm.
BLACK SATURDAY

teller

Unread post by teller » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:02 am

CoachRob wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:18 am
ASUTed wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:40 am
CoachRob wrote:
Wrong, Nate Johnson #90 will have hundreds of thousands of dollars thrown at him this off-season to transfer, we lost but it wasn’t because of #90. He was a beast out there. Go watch it again.
I partially agree with you. Nate is a true freshman ... I agree he shows promise and can be very dominate, maybe play in the league, if he continues the growth. But he isn't there yet. There were several plays where he hurt us in the run last night. I noticed coaches having to explain some things with him when he came off the sideline after their 2nd TD.
He played very well, but didn't just take over the game ala ADG or Marco Jackson. Although, I think he will eventually get to that level.
He definitely crashed down the line on the RPO and grabbed RB, but there were multiple times the QB pulled and ran for 10+, so this assessment is 100% accurate. Had there been better eye discipline, we might be 4-3/2-1 this morning vs 3-4/1-2. I know game speed is extremely fast so while
I’m disappointed, he’s 1 guy and it takes 11 on both sides to win.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:16 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:45 am
Of our 4 losses this season, not only have they all been by 1 score or less, but our opponents have all scored with 2 minutes or less left in the game to beat us. The failure to execute at the end of the game is a glaring issue. It doesn’t appear to be a conditioning issue, but I guess it could be. It seems more that we just can’t make the plays in crunch time when we have to.
Along with the middle 8 minutes being a priority, the last 8 need to be examined. While they are at it how about the other 34 minutes?
BLACK SATURDAY

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:20 am

yosef69 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:49 pm
app_gorilla wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
app_gorilla wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:04 pm

To say there is no dominate talent on this team is not an insult, it's truth. True, those are all good players.
But the problem is we have decent number of good players, yet not enough dominate players.
Ok. I just have a sneaking suspicion you wouldn't tell the players I mentioned they are not "alpha males" to their face.
Aren't you cute ... would like to provide proof otherwise? Or just use sarcasm instead of provide any logical argument.
Maybe you can prove your point to me by you expressing to Coach Clark how you feel about his job? Maybe?
Only you can provide proof you'll walk up to Isiah Helms and call him a beta male.

I eagerly await such proof and will gladly donate the specified sum when it is provided.
This is dumb. It’s a fan forum, he can say anything he wants. Just like none of us walk up to Clark and tell him he’s fired.
I have fired more managers in my career than I would have liked to but every single one deserved it. I would gladly volunteer to go fire him personally and face to face. It isn't anything personal. It's just business. A failure to sustain and succeed

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:26 am

Yosefus wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:20 am
yosef69 wrote:
app_gorilla wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
app_gorilla wrote:

This is dumb. It’s a fan forum, he can say anything he wants. Just like none of us walk up to Clark and tell him he’s fired.
I have fired more managers in my career than I would have liked to but every single one deserved it. I would gladly volunteer to go fire him personally and face to face. It isn't anything personal. It's just business. A failure to sustain and succeed
My point was it’s none of our jobs to tell the players or coaches they are bad to their face. Doesn’t mean we can’t say it here

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:31 am

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:26 am
Yosefus wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
app_gorilla wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

My point was it’s none of our jobs to tell the players or coaches they are bad to their face. Doesn’t mean we can’t say it here
I think a fan bad mouthing a player in college is wrong even on a message board. Most are still kids technically. Coaches are grown men and the one on particular needs some constructive criticism face to face from several folks. Or be handled a pink slip

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:37 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:16 am
BeauFoster wrote:
Along with the middle 8 minutes being a priority, the last 8 need to be examined. While they are at it how about the other 34 minutes?
Analytics can be a good thing, but if you rely on them too much, you miss the rest of the story. This “middle 8” bullshit isn’t winning games for App, I don’t care what the binder says.
Give 'em hell!

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:39 am

Yosefus wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:31 am
yosef69 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:26 am
Yosefus wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
app_gorilla wrote:

I think a fan bad mouthing a player in college is wrong even on a message board. Most are still kids technically. Coaches are grown men and the one on particular needs some constructive criticism face to face from several folks. Or be handled a pink slip
If you look back, the argument started when someone said we don’t have top tier talent. That is not bad mouthing a player. No players were named until Gorilla decided to name players.

MDaniels

Unread post by MDaniels » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:40 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:16 am
BeauFoster wrote:
By my calculations, we're still missing 10 minutes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”