Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

#TeamClark

RaleighApp27609
School: Appalachian State

Re: #TeamClark

Unread post by RaleighApp27609 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:47 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:41 am
500+ yards from Southern Miss should answer the above.....Our defense is as bad as i've seen and that goes back to the year 1970. Hall kept asking why we were giving so much cushion in the secondary...i'd agree if it werent for the number of times we got beat deep....
That's unreal. Can't look it up at the moment but does anyone know what the average total yardage the defense is giving up a game?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:52 am

Rekdiver wrote:
500+ yards from Southern Miss should answer the above.....Our defense is as bad as i've seen and that goes back to the year 1970. Hall kept asking why we were giving so much cushion in the secondary...i'd agree if it werent for the number of times we got beat deep....
The problem is that we get beat deep whether we give 15 yard cushions or not. At least playing press takes the slants and underneath stuff away. If you're going to get beat, get beat trying.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:53 am

RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:47 am
Rekdiver wrote:
That's unreal. Can't look it up at the moment but does anyone know what the average total yardage the defense is giving up a game?
Somewhere out in Watauga County, a man named Dale Jones is laughing his ass off!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:59 am

RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
We are allowing 424 yards per game. We are gaining 461 yards per game. We seem equally as bad against the run (206 per game) as passing (218).
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:00 am

App91 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:53 am
RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Somewhere out in Watauga County, a man named Dale Jones is laughing his ass off!
I know you are making a joke, pretty good one too, but Dale was actually at the game supporting. Gotta be tough to do and speaks to the man. Respect.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:12 am

If I were to attempt to isolate the reasons why we don't have a better record this year I'd say it is basically 2 things- our inability to stop the run (is that talent, personnel, coaching?) and playing way too soft in the secondary. I don't know crap about coaching (as do almost every guy on this board) but I've said the said thing Avery repeated several times Saturday. I simply don't understand playing so far off of receivers to basically allow catches.

Our QB has been great, receivers are solid (forget a few drops everyone does that), our running game has been fine. Even our offensive line has been ok- not great but good enough to win. I can't recall a game where our offense really cost us, except for the bad fumble.

We are definitely not the first team who obviously practiced and prepared for games then screwed it up on game day. Have we simply had way too many unfortunate mistakes that we didn't see years ago? It's got to kill the coaches to see missed assignments, bad turnovers and terrible penalties. Perhaps some would be happier if Clark threw his players under the bus in press conferences like Prime does. Basically said his offensive line is trash. That's probably true but damn don't say it out loud.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:37 am

mike87 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:00 am
App91 wrote:
RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
I know you are making a joke, pretty good one too, but Dale was actually at the game supporting. Gotta be tough to do and speaks to the man. Respect.
He was in Watauga County. The somewhere was Kidd Brewer Stadium, and I thought I saw him, but it was like, “Wait, that looked like Dale Jones.”

I guess it was. Glad to see that. It says a lot about the kind of person he is.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:43 am

Dale Jones is a good man. He gave his All and still LOVES APP..... nothing but good thoughts for him.

Thank you for your service Dale.

AppState80

Unread post by AppState80 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:56 am

Common opponents outside conference all lost Saturday. Carolina to jekyll and hyde yellow jacket team. Wyoming bullied by Boise State. Pirates lose again, their only win against runnin bulldogs who have turned it around and won 2 in a row in the Big South. Gardner Webb currently in 2nd place in the 4 member football conference. We are so close to having a great record, yet it could be worse. Our schedule which is made years in advance is in no way shape or form of being strong. I see no reason we still can't run the table though as none of the teams we play are unbeatable. If can't win the east, bowl eligible and a win would make for a nice ending considering how the ball has bounced for us this year. Go App.

RaleighApp27609

Unread post by RaleighApp27609 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:09 am

AppState80 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:56 am
Common opponents outside conference all lost Saturday. Carolina to jekyll and hyde yellow jacket team. Wyoming bullied by Boise State. Pirates lose again, their only win against runnin bulldogs who have turned it around and won 2 in a row in the Big South. Gardner Webb currently in 2nd place in the 4 member football conference. We are so close to having a great record, yet it could be worse. Our schedule which is made years in advance is in no way shape or form of being strong. I see no reason we still can't run the table though as none of the teams we play are unbeatable. If can't win the east, bowl eligible and a win would make for a nice ending considering how the ball has bounced for us this year. Go App.
What would need to happen for this season to qualify as the greatest in-season turn around in App football history?

Get to 6 wins and receive and win bowl game?
Win out the remaining four games and win the bowl invite that is received?
Win out the remaining four games and get some outside help to win the East?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:23 am

RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:09 am
AppState80 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:56 am
What would need to happen for this season to qualify as the greatest in-season turn around in App football history?

Get to 6 wins and receive and win bowl game?
Win out the remaining four games and win the bowl invite that is received?
Win out the remaining four games and get some outside help to win the East?
Both of these!
Win out the remaining four games and win the bowl invite that is received
Win out the remaining four games and get some outside help to win the East

AppState80

Unread post by AppState80 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:31 am

No doubt win out and with outside help win East and to add icing on cake win Sunbelt title. A true worst to first story. Will it happen, probably not, could it. Well, let's beat Marshall and start the ball rolling.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:20 pm

mike87 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:00 am
App91 wrote:
RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
It was funny but his wife's dad is a major booster so I am not shocked he would be at games cheering. I believe he can chuckle a little bit at the coaches but still want the program to do well. App in general has been good to him. He made good money, employed for a long time, met his wife, a lot of friends, had kids, etc. I firmly expect him to be pulling for App in general.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:22 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:12 am
If I were to attempt to isolate the reasons why we don't have a better record this year I'd say it is basically 2 things- our inability to stop the run (is that talent, personnel, coaching?) and playing way too soft in the secondary. I don't know crap about coaching (as do almost every guy on this board) but I've said the said thing Avery repeated several times Saturday. I simply don't understand playing so far off of receivers to basically allow catches.

Our QB has been great, receivers are solid (forget a few drops everyone does that), our running game has been fine. Even our offensive line has been ok- not great but good enough to win. I can't recall a game where our offense really cost us, except for the bad fumble.

We are definitely not the first team who obviously practiced and prepared for games then screwed it up on game day. Have we simply had way too many unfortunate mistakes that we didn't see years ago? It's got to kill the coaches to see missed assignments, bad turnovers and terrible penalties. Perhaps some would be happier if Clark threw his players under the bus in press conferences like Prime does. Basically said his offensive line is trash. That's probably true but damn don't say it out loud.
A lot of boring play calling and things with player placement in the scheme have baffled me at times but I wonder if they are due to the fact they feel they have to because of personnel or what. I am glad Clark does not throw players under the bus but I have seen flashes of a lot of players to feel like we are just not getting the most out of them. I do commend Sloan for the adjustments he is making. The staff knows they are coaching for their jobs so I am hopeful we see some unseen stuff in play calls and scheme over the next 4 weeks.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:25 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:22 pm
The staff knows they are coaching for their jobs so I am hopeful we see some unseen stuff in play calls and scheme over the next 4 weeks.
If those arrows are in the quiver, then I would have to ask why did the staff wait until they were coaching for their jobs to use them?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:32 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:35 am
I'm not a fire Clark guy. I'm 50/50 at the moment.

My question is this... Is poor coaching keeping us from holding onto the football? I'm shooting from the hip here so forgive me if the below is wrong but...

L) Didn't UNC score 2 or so plays after a pick?

W) ECU had a pick 6 and a scoop and score to keep it close.

L) Wyoming the blocked field goal return for a TD, threw a pick and lost a fumble.

W) ULM we threw 2 picks and lost a fumble.

L) Coastal the big fumble very late in the 4th that led to the GW field goal.

L) ODU no turnovers but the fumbled exchange on 2nd and 1 (with a chance to ice the game) got us behind the chains, we punted, they scored, we lost.

W) Southern Miss threw pick and then picked them off, fumbled late in the 2nd and thankfully they missed a field goal to go into the half.

I know defense, especially the secondary has been an issue but were it not for the turnovers (or near turnovers see ODU) this could be a different season. I get the sluggish starts are an issue but we've been in a position to win every game.
Ever notice how teams and people that work hard and pay attention to detail get lucky more than others. We used to get more than our fair share of favorable bounces, those just aren't happening as frequently. It's hard to pinpoint why that is, but it isn't hard to see a trend.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:52 pm

appst89 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:25 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:22 pm
The staff knows they are coaching for their jobs so I am hopeful we see some unseen stuff in play calls and scheme over the next 4 weeks.
If those arrows are in the quiver, then I would have to ask why did the staff wait until they were coaching for their jobs to use them?
I would imagine ego. People can be hardheaded and feel like if they just keep plugging away things will open up. That is just a guess. I think it is stupid but I did find it interesting they waited until the Southern Miss game to make some adjustments on defense.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:09 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:32 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:35 am
I'm not a fire Clark guy. I'm 50/50 at the moment.

My question is this... Is poor coaching keeping us from holding onto the football? I'm shooting from the hip here so forgive me if the below is wrong but...

L) Didn't UNC score 2 or so plays after a pick?

W) ECU had a pick 6 and a scoop and score to keep it close.

L) Wyoming the blocked field goal return for a TD, threw a pick and lost a fumble.

W) ULM we threw 2 picks and lost a fumble.

L) Coastal the big fumble very late in the 4th that led to the GW field goal.

L) ODU no turnovers but the fumbled exchange on 2nd and 1 (with a chance to ice the game) got us behind the chains, we punted, they scored, we lost.

W) Southern Miss threw pick and then picked them off, fumbled late in the 2nd and thankfully they missed a field goal to go into the half.

I know defense, especially the secondary has been an issue but were it not for the turnovers (or near turnovers see ODU) this could be a different season. I get the sluggish starts are an issue but we've been in a position to win every game.
Ever notice how teams and people that work hard and pay attention to detail get lucky more than others. We used to get more than our fair share of favorable bounces, those just aren't happening as frequently. It's hard to pinpoint why that is, but it isn't hard to see a trend.
Joey is 19th in the country in total yardage, 19th!!! only 6 int's.

Last 3 games basically a freshman running back, until Noel decides to lace em up and give his all again, we been using a freshman running back. Noel was leading the country in rushing going into Coastal game.

Rookie QB that was #2 starting the season and true freshman RB put up 48 points on Saturday at homecoming.

If Fire #TeamClark is an option, these two will walk.

I am sure the coaches talk ball security, I even coach it in flag football and im a volunteer. Players need to carryover the attention to details.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:14 pm

So we've now reached the part of this guys program where the tactic has turned to threaten players leaving to retain a coach?

Beat Marshall and avoid this type of crap.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:35 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:07 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:48 pm
appfanjj wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:14 pm
IF we go 6-6 and play in a bowl game Clark will not be fired. Especially if we win a bowl game. Maybe if we lose a bowl game. Less than 6 wins and he is gone.
Just my opinion.
I think we will go 5-7 but I think we have to go 7-5 for him to be retained. The losses to CCU and ODU back to back really have him on the hot seat. We need to go 3-1 to close the year to cool that seat off. If there is a change they won't wait for the bowl game. I think you make the move and have an interim coach for the bowl. Can't leave the status in limbo for signing day. Need a firm head coach in place or risk losing even more commits.
If it gets that far, whoever it is will need to live in the portal to shore up our glaring deficiencies so we can get out of the cellar.....
A lot of the players hit the portal not because they are not getting playing time, but to get a better NIL deal. App does not have the NIL resources that some schools have that these players expect. Hitting the portal is not as easy as some people believe. Actually, if Shawn Clark's coaching is that bad, we would have had a mass exodus to the portal, since we have not, he must be an awesome coach.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”