Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

#TeamClark

DenverOfTheEast
School: Appalachian State

Re: #TeamClark

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:37 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:25 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:11 pm
Actually Coach Brakefield beat South Carolina in 1975, not sure what conference everyone was in back then.
I believe they were independent , a few years out of the ACC.
General Stonewall to the rescue... 👍🏼

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:00 pm

Ever miss a sales quota? Had a bad business year? I think you catch my drift….Even Belechek has a rough patch. Dabo? Mac?
Jerry Moore? 2 years is not a trend. 3 will show the big cracks and double secret probation is invoked.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:29 pm

I started to post this in another thread but we need to give a shout out to some of our neighbors, and a beautiful "fall" in North Carolina.
This weeks bottom 10!
UNC "tarholes"
EC-YEW
Charlotte 2 and 5ers
We all need to give them a big shout out for making the bottom 10 and taking up so many spots

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:43 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:00 pm
Ever miss a sales quota? Had a bad business year? I think you catch my drift….Even Belechek has a rough patch. Dabo? Mac?
Jerry Moore? 2 years is not a trend. 3 will show the big cracks and double secret probation is invoked.
Belechek has coached 10 seasons without Brady and had 2 winning seasons. He isn't crap without Brady.

Dabo has been the main HC at Clemson since 09. (08 he stepped in as interim halfway through) In his first 4 seasons he won 2 bowl games with one bad season and a 36-18 record. Then he went on an 11 season streak with only two seasons with 2 conference losses, the other 9 were 1 or 0. He also grabbed two chips. This year they are 4-3 (2-3) they will probably go 3-2 to finish 7-5 (6-5) and get a bowl.

Mac Brown is overrated as hell. Mediocre year at App, Garbage at Tulane, 10 seasons at UNC only 5 were 8-4 or better and never won the conference. Goes to Texas where money and recruits were growing on trees and doesn't get more than 10 wins until his 4th year. He has a chip because what Vince Young did that year is like nothing I've ever seen before or since. After Mac crapped the bed and put Texas back so badly they still haven't recovered to national prominence. Then UNC got desperate enough to grab him back and he hasn't hit 10 wins as of yet in his second stint. Mac is not a bad coach, but very overrated.

Jerry Moore was mediocre at N Tx St. Was a hot mess at Texas Tech. He had to essentially drop down to a lower level to find success and never went back up. In his first 16 seasons he only won the conference 3 times. He got lucky in 2005 that he went along with the new wave of offense being the spread and it caught the socon off guard and we had the right players to run it that first year. Chip. Then Trey Elder has shoulder surgery in June which probably impacted his ability to throw and gets him yanked after 2 games. We all know what Armanti did after that and the recruiting frenzy it caused.

Its not a great comparison with these coaches to our current position. 3/4 of these guys got lucky as hell to have recruited/drafted generational players that forever changed their coaching legacies. Dabo is a good coach. I don't particularly like him, but he is good.

For our situation the trend is that we have added more losses each season that Clark has been the head coach. That is actually a trend. We are currently heading for a 4th season of increasing losses. That is a trend. SC has to hit the recruiting trail and find his Armanti, Brady, Watson, Young to get his own generational player, or he's probably not going to make the cut. This leads me to the true point for all these guys. It takes a hell of a lot of luck to get the right players at the right time with the right chemistry etc to win it all or run the train on the regular season and get a big bowl. There are a ton of great X's and O's coaches that get fired because they don't find that one player or that core of players that perfectly run their system. It took Jerry 24 seasons to finally find that core with the right schemes to take it to the next level. Some coaches never find that.

Good luck SC, truly, you're gonna need it.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:07 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:43 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Belechek has coached 10 seasons without Brady and had 2 winning seasons. He isn't crap without Brady.

Dabo has been the main HC at Clemson since 09. (08 he stepped in as interim halfway through) In his first 4 seasons he won 2 bowl games with one bad season and a 36-18 record. Then he went on an 11 season streak with only two seasons with 2 conference losses, the other 9 were 1 or 0. He also grabbed two chips. This year they are 4-3 (2-3) they will probably go 3-2 to finish 7-5 (6-5) and get a bowl.

Mac Brown is overrated as hell. Mediocre year at App, Garbage at Tulane, 10 seasons at UNC only 5 were 8-4 or better and never won the conference. Goes to Texas where money and recruits were growing on trees and doesn't get more than 10 wins until his 4th year. He has a chip because what Vince Young did that year is like nothing I've ever seen before or since. After Mac crapped the bed and put Texas back so badly they still haven't recovered to national prominence. Then UNC got desperate enough to grab him back and he hasn't hit 10 wins as of yet in his second stint. Mac is not a bad coach, but very overrated.

Jerry Moore was mediocre at N Tx St. Was a hot mess at Texas Tech. He had to essentially drop down to a lower level to find success and never went back up. In his first 16 seasons he only won the conference 3 times. He got lucky in 2005 that he went along with the new wave of offense being the spread and it caught the socon off guard and we had the right players to run it that first year. Chip. Then Trey Elder has shoulder surgery in June which probably impacted his ability to throw and gets him yanked after 2 games. We all know what Armanti did after that and the recruiting frenzy it caused.

Its not a great comparison with these coaches to our current position. 3/4 of these guys got lucky as hell to have recruited/drafted generational players that forever changed their coaching legacies. Dabo is a good coach. I don't particularly like him, but he is good.

For our situation the trend is that we have added more losses each season that Clark has been the head coach. That is actually a trend. We are currently heading for a 4th season of increasing losses. That is a trend. SC has to hit the recruiting trail and find his Armanti, Brady, Watson, Young to get his own generational player, or he's probably not going to make the cut. This leads me to the true point for all these guys. It takes a hell of a lot of luck to get the right players at the right time with the right chemistry etc to win it all or run the train on the regular season and get a big bowl. There are a ton of great X's and O's coaches that get fired because they don't find that one player or that core of players that perfectly run their system. It took Jerry 24 seasons to finally find that core with the right schemes to take it to the next level. Some coaches never find that.

The good news is when we get to 0 wins the trendline will start to be less negative after that!

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:13 am

appdaze wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Let's work on our spell check boys....

Mack Brown is the best recruiter in college football not named Nick Saban,
Dabo is a big time lead recruiter, small time football mind --

They both are big time CEO's of World Class football programs, now neither could out coach me in my flag football league, but they know how to run a program and butter up those donors and HS coaches.

Belicheck is a football mind, but with no Tom Brady he can't out perform Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh.

I think #TeamClark reminds me of Mike Tomlin a little bit. Just a good tough dude the players like and respect.

Coach Moore landed the ASU job at the right time, moved it forward and it became more popular over the decade of the 1990's.. had some good luck happen in the 2000's for him. ASU football got better in the 2000's when many teams started to jump up to FBS and leave 1-AA (example Marshall).

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:32 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:13 am
appdaze wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

They both are big time CEO's of World Class football programs, now neither could out coach me in my flag football league, but they know how to run a program and butter up those donors and HS coaches.

Belicheck is a football mind, but with no Tom Brady he can't out perform Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh.

I think #TeamClark reminds me of Mike Tomlin a little bit. Just a good tough dude the players like and respect.

Coach Moore landed the ASU job at the right time, moved it forward and it became more popular over the decade of the 1990's.. had some good luck happen in the 2000's for him. ASU football got better in the 2000's when many teams started to jump up to FBS and leave 1-AA (example Marshall).
Did Kirby Smart die?

I like the Tomlin comparison, but he's a winner or very close to being one. Clark has yet to prove that outside of his 60% win clip. It's way harder to win in the NFL.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:04 am

311neers wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:32 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Did Kirby Smart die?

I like the Tomlin comparison, but he's a winner or very close to being one. Clark has yet to prove that outside of his 60% win clip. It's way harder to win in the NFL.
Who's Kirby Smart???? ---- 3, 2, 1.....

It's hard winning anywhere big guy, SEC West = SBC East = AFC North.

All the same.... 3, 2, 1.....

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:21 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:07 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:50 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:44 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:22 pm
Honestly, what did y'all think was going to happen? In December of 2019 I said that Clark was a lazy hire. He's a good man, an App man, but it was a lazy hire. I was on an island. It should never have taken this long for you to see it. At this point it is what it is. But Gillin made a lazy hire.
2019 was before COVID, before the Portal, before the 'era' SBC east teams, and definitely before aliens landing in Deep Gap on the parkway.

Gillin been turned down in coaching hires more than you at senior prom!
My point remains the same, we are where we are because Gillin made a lazy hire. COVID hit the world. NIL and the portal hit every school in the country. Aliens in Deep Gap, whatever. But Doug Gillin mad a lazy hire.
well what ar you going to do about it, it ain't his last lazy hire I can promise you that.
What is your point here? Do you agree that Clark was a lazy hire?

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:01 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Did you really just call UNC's football program world class? That is laughable. What universe are you living in?
Mack Brown is a good salesman / recruiter but not a big time CEO. Really?

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:52 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:21 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:22 pm
Honestly, what did y'all think was going to happen? In December of 2019 I said that Clark was a lazy hire. He's a good man, an App man, but it was a lazy hire. I was on an island. It should never have taken this long for you to see it. At this point it is what it is. But Gillin made a lazy hire.
2019 was before COVID, before the Portal, before the 'era' SBC east teams, and definitely before aliens landing in Deep Gap on the parkway.

My point remains the same, we are where we are because Gillin made a lazy hire. COVID hit the world. NIL and the portal hit every school in the country. Aliens in Deep Gap, whatever. But Doug Gillin mad a lazy hire.
well what ar you going to do about it, it ain't his last lazy hire I can promise you that.
No I have disagreed with you on this multiple times -- I don't think he liked any of the candidates that were out there when Drink left.... I believe Clark was correct choice, pre portal, pre Covid, pre NIL, Jerry Moore's blessing, called plays and won the Bowl game as interim coach. It was at the time a good call.

But not saying Gillin hasn't made lazy hires in other sports, that's what happens when you give him a unearned at the time fat contract in Dec/Janu 2019/2020.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:06 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:52 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

No I have disagreed with you on this multiple times -- I don't think he liked any of the candidates that were out there when Drink left.... I believe Clark was correct choice, pre portal, pre Covid, pre NIL, Jerry Moore's blessing, called plays and won the Bowl game as interim coach. It was at the time a good call.

But not saying Gillin hasn't made lazy hires in other sports, that's what happens when you give him a unearned at the time fat contract in Dec/Janu 2019/2020.
Quit drinking lake water dude, my problem has always been with Gillin. I've called the Clark hire lazy. I've said the extension made zero sense. I've consistently said I didn't think he'd be here at this point. I've never one time been in the "in DG I trust" crowd.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:28 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:06 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

Quit drinking lake water dude, my problem has always been with Gillin. I've called the Clark hire lazy. I've said the extension made zero sense. I've consistently said I didn't think he'd be here at this point. I've never one time been in the "in DG I trust" crowd.
Im use this to name our new seltzer drink 'lake water'

95/97 calories per container in honor of you!

Thanks. And I am with you on DG

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:24 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:06 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

I was under the same impression as you about the extension, at first, thinking that it was way too early but I was told that it was simply to get Clark to agree to lower the buyout so we could move on after the 2023 season if we needed to. When I heard it was financially motivated that part made sense. If that is not true though then I would 100% agree the extension was way too early.

I will say that I trust DG when it comes to conference realignment but he has made some coaching hires that I question. I think DG is the best AD we have had in a long time but you can argue we have had awful ones before him and he is just a good, solid AD but not great.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:38 pm

I think DG does the best with what limited financial resources he has..... he is a numbers guy trying to also play a culture strategy.... He has had a LOT of tough decisions and he would probably admit his mistakes.... if he had a 50-75 million dollar budget I think he would have better results..... money talks, we would all be better at our jobs if we had more staff and budget

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:41 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:38 pm
I think DG does the best with what limited financial resources he has..... he is a numbers guy trying to also play a culture strategy.... He has had a LOT of tough decisions and he would probably admit his mistakes.... if he had a 50-75 million dollar budget I think he would have better results..... money talks, we would all be better at our jobs if we had more staff and budget
#1 mistake..... men's soccer. Yeah I know, I can't let it go.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:25 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:41 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
#1 mistake..... men's soccer. Yeah I know, I can't let it go.
Nor should you. That is just another thing he did to show he was able to get a better job.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:45 pm

If Clark is around after this season his success answers lie in the portal if he is able to persuade the talent to bolster a waning defense and fill an offensive line. He'll have to find really good plug-in players. High School projects aint gonna save him in time. These P5 portal players looking for playing time are likely better than he could interest in our program to begin with. Others have winning records this way, it is his only option. He in on the gallows or sitting on the electric chair or in front of the firing squad next season for sure.
Last edited by Black Saturday on Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BLACK SATURDAY

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:42 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
I wouldn't....I would sleep more!!!

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:53 pm

This might be a question for a completely different thread but I was just wondering about our entire roster as a whole. Of the 85 players how many are (right now) legit G5 level and can/could start at either App or another quality G5 school? Surely right now it's got to be maybe a third who could not (maybe more?). If this is even a viable question and can be answered how would our total stack up against other teams in the Belt?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”