Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

HOW?

teller
School: Appalachian State

HOW?

Unread post by teller » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:25 pm

How can this team take #12 Unc to 2OT then lose to unranked CCU 2.5 weeks later?????? Mind absolutely fucking blown 😱🤯🤯🤯

t4pizza

Re: HOW?

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:27 pm

We seem to play to our competition. We are in every game until a bad mistake cost us and we lose a close one, or we don't make the mistake and win a close one. I expect the rest of the season to be a string of one score games, how many of them we win remains to be seen. We simply can't turn the ball over with less than 5 to play in a tie game. Can't happen.

Snaggy

Unread post by Snaggy » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:50 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:27 pm
We seem to play to our competition. We are in every game until a bad mistake cost us and we lose a close one, or we don't make the mistake and win a close one. I expect the rest of the season to be a string of one score games, how many of them we win remains to be seen. We simply can't turn the ball over with less than 5 to play in a tie game. Can't happen.
Nor can we just not play defense. Gave up a ton of chunk plays tonight (28 to be exact) and couldn’t tackle

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:03 pm

Because we have an FCS OL coach as our head coach.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:07 am

ExLax Defense
BLACK SATURDAY

Parks&RecAPP

Unread post by Parks&RecAPP » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:58 am

How do we go from being one of the top teams in the sunbelt and G5, to being mediocre? We are quickly becoming Boise State.

RunawayJM

Unread post by RunawayJM » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:02 am

teller wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:25 pm
How can this team take #12 Unc to 2OT then lose to unranked CCU 2.5 weeks later?????? Mind absolutely fucking blown 😱🤯🤯🤯
1. We have talent
2. We are poorly coached.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:54 am

It does seem that we are regressing .The opposite of what we were sold.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:13 pm

RunawayJM wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:02 am
teller wrote:
1. We have talent
Really not sure the talent is what many on here seem to think it is. We have a transfer from Marshall that was a walk on and never saw the field STARTING at tackle, just let that sink in for a second. Dude was like 3rd string or lower and he comes here and starts (credit does go to him for working hard and cracking the lineup but still). We get run down from behind but rarely run others down from behind. We can't ever seem to get real separation on our routes but opposing receivers have no issue getting separation. We all like to assume we are uber talented but when we play others, I just don't see it.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:13 pm

Recruiting the undersized guys with a high motor has seemed to have bit us in the butt. This is big boy ball now, that doesn't work anymore. Other schools are loading up with P5 transfers, yet were still hell bent on converting small DLineman to the OL and they are starting 25 lbs undersized. Or turning already slow safeties into linebackers.
Recruit positions and keep them at that position when they get here.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:38 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:13 pm
RunawayJM wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:02 am
teller wrote:
1. We have talent
Really not sure the talent is what many on here seem to think it is. We have a transfer from Marshall that was a walk on and never saw the field STARTING at tackle, just let that sink in for a second. Dude was like 3rd string or lower and he comes here and starts (credit does go to him for working hard and cracking the lineup but still). We get run down from behind but rarely run others down from behind. We can't ever seem to get real separation on our routes but opposing receivers have no issue getting separation. We all like to assume we are uber talented but when we play others, I just don't see it.
I pointed to the same some months back after we struck out on last seasons OLine recruits . It's not like he was third team at UGa or Bama ...

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:50 pm

I’ve said for a few weeks now too. Talent is not what we thought it was. But to me it is clear we are not getting the most out of the talent either. Basic film study shows our lbs (at least in weeks 1-5) consistently were out of position. Other teams purposefully run plays that draw the LB out of contain and it opens gaps. Over and over. And then have to try to arm tackle, which they don’t. So either coaches aren’t able to coach it, or players can’t do it. D line has seemed to have fallen off a cliff. I still think secondary is playing better this year. Others have said WRs aren’t getting separation, but to me some of that it playcalling. Run different stuff. Where is out jet sweep we ran with Virgil? Where is RPO or bootlegs to keep defenses honest? And then the turnovers. We have more this year than I can remember. Seems to be at least 3 a game. Tough to say if it is coaching or what, but if you want to blame the season on 1 thing it is turnovers.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:41 pm

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:50 pm
I’ve said for a few weeks now too. Talent is not what we thought it was. But to me it is clear we are not getting the most out of the talent either. Basic film study shows our lbs (at least in weeks 1-5) consistently were out of position. Other teams purposefully run plays that draw the LB out of contain and it opens gaps. Over and over. And then have to try to arm tackle, which they don’t. So either coaches aren’t able to coach it, or players can’t do it. D line has seemed to have fallen off a cliff. I still think secondary is playing better this year. Others have said WRs aren’t getting separation, but to me some of that it playcalling. Run different stuff. Where is out jet sweep we ran with Virgil? Where is RPO or bootlegs to keep defenses honest? And then the turnovers. We have more this year than I can remember. Seems to be at least 3 a game. Tough to say if it is coaching or what, but if you want to blame the season on 1 thing it is turnovers.
How does 1 WR have more catches and yards in 1 game than they’ve had in the other 5 combined? (or it feels that way without looking) That’s coaching. Davis v UNC. It seems that we can only scheme open a tight end in the flat. We need to get way more creative.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:00 pm

311neers wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:41 pm
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:50 pm
How does 1 WR have more catches and yards in 1 game than they’ve had in the other 5 combined? (or it feels that way without looking) That’s coaching. Davis v UNC. It seems that we can only scheme open a tight end in the flat. We need to get way more creative.
Maybe it's coaching. But, it also could be that receiver has had some drops, a costly error in the Wyoming game and that others have grabbed some playing time.

We have six capable receivers. Now, I'm beginning to question, if we'd be better giving all of the snaps to 4 receivers. Last night was a tough one for our receivers between the drops, fumbles and two consecutive plays early in the red zone where they were not on the same page as our QB. (Joey threw a fade and the receiver ran a quick out, then the receiver wasn't even looking for the ball on the next pass).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us use motion, reverses, jet sweeps (it's been gone for three years), etc. Basically,, a lot of what Coastal was doing. However, we schemed Tucker open on his big reception, Horn open on 4th down, and drew a number of PI's that would have added to the passing stats.

I'd also love to see some shifts on defense (D-Line, safeties and backers in and out of gaps). We don't do anything on either side of the ball to cause confusion to our opposition.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:03 pm

DEFENSE period.

The last few years our defense has been very BAD. We are averaging over 30 pts per game ranking 90 in FBS and over 90 in total defense. They have been the worst since we moved to FBS. Satt’s last year was the best and Roof’s was close but that year Drink’s offense was the best so our margin of error was much bigger.

None of the teams that low are winning consistently. Our offense is top 30 but can’t overcome such a poor defense. That’s why we are in so many close games and 50/50 outcomes are the result.

If I am looking for a glaring sign there it is. I thought we were making progress in first few games and then BOOM the teams saw our weaknesses and have been exploiting them.

We will never have a good W/L record with a bad defense.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:52 am

I agree with the comment on pre snap confusion and motions. Not only do they add another layer for the other team to have to process, they are also beneficial because we get to see how the other team reacts, I don't understand not using it. So back to my point, is it coaches not calling it because that is not what they do, or is it because our guys can't even process the play and can't handle another assignment? And I am really asking...I do not know. But everyone from pee wee to NFL is using pre snap calls and we aren't so something is wrong.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”