Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Let's talk about Clark

yosef69
School: Appalachian State

Re: Let's talk about Clark

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:43 pm

Do our coordinators have buyouts?

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:44 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:38 pm
If Clark is fired, it will suck. Because it's an admission of failure. There's no celebration in that. Even when App fired Capel, Jones and Fox, it didn't feel good in the end. It's sad and depressing, even if it's the right thing to do.

Just keep that in mind. No need for celebrations.
100% Agree. Terrible situation. Lots of families involved.

GO APPS!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:44 pm

Losing Stinks.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:46 pm

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:42 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:37 pm
asu7 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:33 pm
Clark was the best option at the time of Drink’s departure. However, he has proved he can’t be head guy. I don’t think any of us hate him we just want him gone as HC. Heck he’s a great oline coach.
Really?!?
Agreed. There was ZERO competition for him in 2019, and ZERO 3.5 years later. He had no experience, and DG and the administration panicked and made a poor choice. DG doubled down and got him paid after performing well with other coaches’ players. Honestly DG deserves a ton of heat if he waits until 12/2 to make a decision, because he struck out hard here.
He let Fox stay beyond when he probably should have so it would not surprise me if he let Clark stay longer.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:47 pm

yosef69 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:35 pm
asu7 wrote:
Clark was the best option at the time of Drink’s departure. However, he has proved he can’t be head guy. I don’t think any of us hate him we just want him gone as HC. Heck he’s a great oline coach.
Due to egos it won't happen but I would still love for him to stick around as OL coach for the next head coach. Shawn is a really good line coach but just not head coach material.
Can’t happen. There would be a loyalty problem in the locker room
Agreed. Some players would want to listen to Shawn over the next coach. Honestly, a full house cleaning is likely to happen if we made a change. We will see if Shawn can turn it around.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtrain4prez

Unread post by dtrain4prez » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:53 pm

Yep, he's definitely gone after this season. Tonight sealed the deal. We have no identity or creativity and can't close out football games.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:23 pm

Not happy.
Not happy Clark needs to be fired but he does. Sucks, he's App family and I was hoping we had another 25+year coach.
Painful but it needs to happen, this is the worst App State football team in at least 20 years. Yes, it's worse than the transition prep team.
Far too predictable on offense and defense. Would it kill us to go under center on short yardage? Defense out of position and Dbacks 20 yards off the ball.Can't make plays on defense when it matters.We coast on offense when we need to pour it on
I could go on for a while but we are used to winning and it sucks being this bad.

Unread post by 8993 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:32 pm

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH...

I have it on good authority from multiple friends and colleagues who have spent time with Sheri that she is a massive App State football fan and that she has made it clear to Doug that losing isn't really an option... as in, when App loses, her temper rivals that of those of us on Yosef's Cabin. I mean, let's be real here: App State winning has made us a household name and that helps Sheri look good in the eyes of the UNC BOG, so she needs them to win so she can win.

If that's the case, I don't think she would hesitate to get the right donor on the phone to move some money around and make room for a new staff to come on board.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:35 pm

8993 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:32 pm
FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH...

I have it on good authority from multiple friends and colleagues who have spent time with Sheri that she is a massive App State football fan and that she has made it clear to Doug that losing isn't really an option... as in, when App loses, her temper rivals that of those of us on Yosef's Cabin. I mean, let's be real here: App State winning has made us a household name and that helps Sheri look good in the eyes of the UNC BOG, so she needs them to win so she can win.

If that's the case, I don't think she would hesitate to get the right donor on the phone to move some money around and make room for a new staff to come on board.
Knew I liked her.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:36 pm

Apptiger wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:23 pm
Not happy.
Not happy Clark needs to be fired but he does. Sucks, he's App family and I was hoping we had another 25+year coach.
Painful but it needs to happen, this is the worst App State football team in at least 20 years. Yes, it's worse than the transition prep team.
Far too predictable on offense and defense. Would it kill us to go under center on short yardage? Defense out of position and Dbacks 20 yards off the ball.Can't make plays on defense when it matters.We coast on offense when we need to pour it on
I could go on for a while but we are used to winning and it sucks being this bad.
TBH, I don't think we have the studs on D to make plays when it matters most and don't think we have the consistent playmaker (other than Nate Noel) to pour it on when it matters most. I'm not sold that we have the talent.
Is that Clark's fault? Argument can be made, but we're relying on some FCS talent & Portal guys in areas where we use to have studs and it's lead to this medicorce play.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:37 pm

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:42 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
asu7 wrote:
Really?!?
Agreed. There was ZERO competition for him in 2019, and ZERO 3.5 years later. He had no experience, and DG and the administration panicked and made a poor choice. DG doubled down and got him paid after performing well with other coaches’ players. Honestly DG deserves a ton of heat if he waits until 12/2 to make a decision, because he struck out hard here.
Idk

I feel like ADs have a more difficult/ dynamic way to measure success. They are essentially non profit ceos and not sports experts. They have to develop and balance books while hiring people whose jobs they have no idea how to do. I actually don’t know how to approach hiring a coach in a sport I have a shallow knowledge of compared to a professional.

IDK how an AD who’s never played a down of D1 football or any other sport, hires a coach. DG is a lot like Everts, they are both successful professionals in their field. She was hired buy the state to take app from a smallish - medium sized university to a major regional sized university. She had added dorms, developed a new health sciences and satellite campus and done most of what was needed. While many don’t like the way it was done, it was done none the less with less resources from the state than was needed.

DG has grown the booster base, increased the budget by millions without a significant impact to fees, built an enzone/ multi use facility, a new field hockey facility, and entirely new Olympic sports facility at 105. All of this was accomplished with one of the weaker booster programs in the conference. I don’t think his seat is hot because of a coaching hire.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:39 pm

8993 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:32 pm
FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH...

I will imagine Chancellor Everts destroying her tv after watching us lose now.

It feels like half this forum does that already.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:47 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:36 pm
Apptiger wrote:
Not happy.
TBH, I don't think we have the studs on D to make plays when it matters most and don't think we have the consistent playmaker (other than Nate Noel) to pour it on when it matters most. I'm not sold that we have the talent.
Is that Clark's fault? Argument can be made, but we're relying on some FCS talent & Portal guys in areas where we use to have studs and it's lead to this medicorce play.
Would agree, but I do look at that as coaching. Recruiting or development? maybe both

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:53 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:44 pm
T-Dog wrote:
If Clark is fired, it will suck. Because it's an admission of failure. There's no celebration in that. Even when App fired Capel, Jones and Fox, it didn't feel good in the end. It's sad and depressing, even if it's the right thing to do.

GO APPS!!
I would honestly and truly love for my dad to get fired from his job and paid $1 million on December 1st. Like, that would be the best thing that ever happened to my family.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:54 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:53 pm
appstate24 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

GO APPS!!
I would honestly and truly love for my dad to get fired from his job and paid $1 million on December 1st. Like, that would be the best thing that ever happened to my family.
True, but position coaches are not so fortunate

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:09 pm

MrCraig wrote:
appstate24 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

GO APPS!!
Pretty douchey comment. It won’t be just Clark’s family that has the head of the house losing their job.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:11 pm

Apptiger wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:47 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:36 pm
Apptiger wrote:
Not happy.
Would agree, but I do look at that as coaching. Recruiting or development? maybe both
Absolutely blame needs to be shared with the Head Coach for this. However, he made the staff changes this offseason, strength coach being key to development, and feel there's some young talent in these past couple classes. I'm not sure there has been enough time to development these young guys to know it's all on Clark.

falcoapp

Unread post by falcoapp » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:19 pm

Clark could probably use that buyout.

He will probably just fade away and be a career position coach in FCS at this point.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:41 pm

MrCraig wrote:
appstate24 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

GO APPS!!
Agreed. I would love for someone to please pay me 1M to not do a job anymore.

njcarr

Unread post by njcarr » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:02 am

My opinion of what I've been reading on Most of these posts (not everyone) --- What a bunch of crybabies, "football" ignorant losers -- no clue to the reality of football. Yes, losing the close ones is awful. However, takeaway 12 plays in the season and a few questionable calls, what a difference -- possibly 7-0 or 6-1. EXECUTION of the plays called is the difference, not coaching!! I see several positive changes since the season began: young players learning how to be team players, adjustments in dealing with injuries to key players even before the season started.
The season can still be "salvaged" and with some help from other SBC teams, as well as App winning out, a division championship could happen. Mediocre teams are those that give up when times are rough; I don't see the players giving up.
I do see many of the posters on this board being mediocre - already given up before it's all over. I've heard about such folks talking like this in earlier years, Coach Moore and Coach Satterfield come to mind. I'm very glad they were wrong.
As to comments about the Chancellor's thoughts -- suggesting a coaching change at this time -- she doesn't understand the dynamics of football either. If this mentality is really based on her image with how she fits with the other college "big wigs," than she really needs to go. I would rather have someone interested in the students, community, and school.
As for me, I say Go ASU!! Keep improving, win the rest of the games, avoid the portal, have fun!! This year will remain a good season, and next year has the potential to be a great season!!!
As long as I am able, I will be in the stands with full support!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”