Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coastal discussion

ASUTodd
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coastal discussion

Unread post by ASUTodd » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:03 am

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:33 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:23 am
Bootsy wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:57 am
ASUTodd wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:12 pm
I love App State so much... and these losses really hurt.... but I have to try and put it all in perspective. I'm not living in a country with rockets coming down on me, I'm not being kidnapped, and I'm not being hunted down and shot. I get so wound up but I have to say ..it's just football. My life is good and I'll appreciate what I have. Life could be a lot worse.
Thanks, Todd. As rough as this loss is, I have work colleagues in Israel and their current reality is very different from ours.

Take heart, friends! The sun will rise today and God is still on His throne.
All true but I still like winning football games.
I agree completely with Todd and Bootsy, but that's what entertainment is for. To take us away from the harsh light of reality. When your chosen form of entertainment, sports, is more painful than pleasurable to watch, it just makes cold, cruel reality that much worse.

I praise God that I was privileged enough to be born in America to a loving and financially stable family. I am completely blessed by my own family that I am raising. I also hope that Shawn Clark's family is blessed with $1 million on December 1st, and Clark takes his family on a really nice vacation for Christmas.
You hit the nail on the head. :)

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:17 am

What exactly is his definition of an explosive play? Are the 15 yard runs that include 5 extra yards with a back carrying 3-4 tacklers explosive? How about the many plays where we bite on a run and get burned by an option pass to a wide open receiver 20 yards downfield? Seems like they were just faster. Our safeties were constantly out of position and on several plays I saw a slower DB chasing a bigger receiver.

I'm sure it's been said but Coastal gave us opportunity after opportunity with PI's. That stuff evened out against the horrible blocking penalty we received.

I stopped watching the press conference as it's a repeat of what is said after every loss. I am not a huge fan of the lunatic type coach or the stoic type who stares into space but I'd like to see a little more coaching from Sean. Every time the camera shows him he's talking to one coach beside him, flips up the microphone and just stands there.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:18 am

It's true. Clark did not fumble that ball and we probably win that game without Tucker's fumble.

We also came out looking like a group of zombies in front of a great atmosphere against a conference rival. When we were dominant it used to be funny when we went down 7-0. We knew we would make adjustments on the fly and end up being fine. None of us have that feeling anymore. Going down 14-0 is a massive deal. How did you not know Grayson McCall was going to look to push the ball deep? We have watched him play for like four years now and know that he's a great passer. And our defense looked woefully unprepared.

Sure, we controlled the game after we went down 14-0 and we cleaned a lot of things up but that deficit is why we lost. That made the difference. And it happens week after week, we never look ready to play from the first snap and our margin for error isn't what it used to be.

I've tried to be patient with this regime and just hope that things get better but we're just an average football team now and it is what it is. I don't think Clark is surviving this because we make too many mistakes to beat teams like JMU, Marshall, Georgia Southern, even away to Georgia State and Old Dominion I'll be floored if we win both those games.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:20 am

We know we are going to do stupid crap at the end of the game. Have been during the 4 years. Which is why you can’t get down 14-0 if you know an ill timed turnover or pick 6 is coming down the line. Not sure why he likes playing 1 possession games.

checkyosefb4uwreckyosef

Unread post by checkyosefb4uwreckyosef » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:24 am

This is what we signed up for when we moved to FBS - hope all the folks crowing about it at the time are happy with the results.

Unread post by 8993 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:31 am

One thing that’s becoming a major concern for me is how dead this team feels. I know that these kids care and that they give it their all, but they seem so unmotivated every single game, as if they know that they aren’t getting what they need in practice or in the locker room.

Even when the stadium is packed on a Tuesday night game, the team looks uninterested and lost. Once again, that’s on coaching. We’re in trouble.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:43 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:18 am
It's true. Clark did not fumble that ball and we probably win that game without Tucker's fumble.

We also came out looking like a group of zombies in front of a great atmosphere against a conference rival. When we were dominant it used to be funny when we went down 7-0. We knew we would make adjustments on the fly and end up being fine. None of us have that feeling anymore. Going down 14-0 is a massive deal. How did you not know Grayson McCall was going to look to push the ball deep? We have watched him play for like four years now and know that he's a great passer. And our defense looked woefully unprepared.

Sure, we controlled the game after we went down 14-0 and we cleaned a lot of things up but that deficit is why we lost. That made the difference. And it happens week after week, we never look ready to play from the first snap and our margin for error isn't what it used to be.

I've tried to be patient with this regime and just hope that things get better but we're just an average football team now and it is what it is. I don't think Clark is surviving this because we make too many mistakes to beat teams like JMU, Marshall, Georgia Southern, even away to Georgia State and Old Dominion I'll be floored if we win both those games.
especially a week after ULM torched us over the top. I know we come out in base the 1st series for whatever reason, but I mean how could we not expect Coastal to try to go over the top on us early??

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:46 am

8993 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:31 am
One thing that’s becoming a major concern for me is how dead this team feels. I know that these kids care and that they give it their all, but they seem so unmotivated every single game, as if they know that they aren’t getting what they need in practice or in the locker room.

Even when the stadium is packed on a Tuesday night game, the team looks uninterested and lost. Once again, that’s on coaching. We’re in trouble.
It's felt that way from the very beginning 9/17/20. The kids get up to play UNC, A&M... But there is no evidence the Coachs get the motivated for normal games.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:47 am

Arms always crossed, microphone always up on the head set, hardly ever seen saying much to anyone other than what appears to be his yes men by his side, shows very little emotion. Then gets at the podium and recycles the same words in just about every press conference in a super fast either I don't want to answer these, or I don't know the right things to say manner.

Those are just the visuals, the decision making examples are a longer list.

He's a great guy, a great husband and father to his kids I'm sure, but those things a long with giving your all as an offensive lineman in the 90s doesn't necessarily mean you're cut out to be a head coach at App State. I wish him well, and nothing but the best in his future, but I just don't think long term he's what's needed for this program.

Until that day is announced, I will continue to pull for App State football team, which includes him as the coach, and wish for nothing but the best.
Last edited by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 on Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:47 am

We are easy to prepare for. All a staff has to do is watch the film of or safeties in particular. They get confused, are too slow and don't play their assignments- and get burned over and over. They do a great job of flexing and doing the arm wave if a receiver happens to drop a ball or a pass is off target.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:48 am

8993 wrote:

Just no swagger AT ALL. That comes from coaching. Shawn Elliot may not be a great coach, and I don't think App should hire him, but even his worst years with GA State they've had an identity, a swagger, and a nastiness about them.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:50 am

Specifically with the defense… you can blame it on the players being misaligned or missing assignments since they are the ones on the field BUT when that continues to happen over multiple games and multiple times each game without it getting corrected you have a coaching problem.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:01 am

One comment made earlier is a bit far fetched. Someone said we gave up 28 plays over 20 yards. That's ridiculous. Those plays alone would add up to over 560 yards.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:27 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:01 am
One comment made earlier is a bit far fetched. Someone said we gave up 28 plays over 20 yards. That's ridiculous. Those plays alone would add up to over 560 yards.
I think explosive counts as 15+ yards. They might have had 20 of those.

Unread post by 8993 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:34 am

checkyosefb4uwreckyosef wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:24 am
This is what we signed up for when we moved to FBS - hope all the folks crowing about it at the time are happy with the results.
So we should’ve stayed FCS and been complacent with being just average at an even lower level?

For context, if we weren’t FBS right now, our attendance wouldn’t be what it is, our enrollment wouldn’t be what it is, our donation levels wouldn’t be what it is, and our success level wouldn’t be what it is. Complacency gets you nowhere in life. I’ll take playing Coastal, Marshall, GS, and Louisiana any day over playing UTC, Furman, Campbell, and ETSU.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:35 am

We got beat in every statistical category. They even overcame over 100 yards in penalties. This game shouldn't have been this close and if Coastal were a really good team, they would have destroyed us. We made Grayson McCall look like his old self.

Offense was disjointed or hit and miss. Lots of dropped passes and the chunk play fumble killed whatever momentum we had.

Defense is a head scratcher. Playing out of position, safeties are lost, poor tackling.

Slow start. Ends up putting a tremendous amount of pressure on us.

This team will live and die with trying to overcome mistakes. Similar to last year.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:37 am

We just need a competent coach. Talent is there. Coaching is not.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:42 am

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:48 am
8993 wrote:

Just no swagger AT ALL. That comes from coaching. Shawn Elliot may not be a great coach, and I don't think App should hire him, but even his worst years with GA State they've had an identity, a swagger, and a nastiness about them.
I want to see anybody get mad. I want to see an O lineman push somebody out of bounds and through the bench. I watched one of our guys get curb stomped by 2 CCU guys on a kick off and not a single App guy came to help. I watch our O line become nothing more than spectators on several plays. I watch it take 5 or 6 guys to bring down CCUs backs, time after time. Forget about the coaching staff for now. Do we have any players who can’t stand losing? Any guys who really want to compete? Do we have any true leaders out on the field? We have always had those guys. I don’t see them now.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:49 am

8993 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:34 am
So we should’ve stayed FCS and been complacent with being just average at an even lower level?

For context, if we weren’t FBS right now, our attendance wouldn’t be what it is, our enrollment wouldn’t be what it is, our donation levels wouldn’t be what it is, and our success level wouldn’t be what it is. Complacency gets you nowhere in life. I’ll take playing Coastal, Marshall, GS, and Louisiana any day over playing UTC, Furman, Campbell, and ETSU.
We might also be losing to western. I’m not saying go after that guy, but he’s winning at western. It might be worth a look-see.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:55 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:42 am
MrCraig wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:48 am
8993 wrote:

I want to see anybody get mad. I want to see an O lineman push somebody out of bounds and through the bench. I watched one of our guys get curb stomped by 2 CCU guys on a kick off and not a single App guy came to help. I watch our O line become nothing more than spectators on several plays. I watch it take 5 or 6 guys to bring down CCUs backs, time after time. Forget about the coaching staff for now. Do we have any players who can’t stand losing? Any guys who really want to compete? Do we have any true leaders out on the field? We have always had those guys. I don’t see them now.
I don't think any of our guys go out on the field wanting to lose. No one does. But, do they have the skill or knowledge to carry it out to victory. If they don't have skill that's poor recruiting. If they don't have knowledge that's coaching. It's not the players fault if they are in a league they can't compete in and it's not the players fault if not prepared for gametime specific situations. That's Coaching responsibility!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”