Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Where are we at as Appalachian football?

appdaze

Re: Where are we at as Appalachian football?

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:45 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:15 am
appdaze wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:51 pm
I mentioned before that I hope we start churning out more pros. It's one of the few ways we can compete with NIL if we become the go to G5 to develop for the NFL. This is a list I hope we rise a lot on.

How do you track this going forward? Is it the school they finish at? If Sam Hartman makes the NFL, Wake should get to claim him vs. ND....
I would say it's one of two options. Where they were drafted from because it will be on their sports cards and other memorabilia forever, or where they had the most impact thay got them tv time and notoriety.

Bootsy
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:50 pm

Re: winning/losing in the trenches, Matt Greenhalgh's S&C program made a massive difference this season.

Example:

We've witnessed two consistent OL-related themes in the recent past: a lack of durability and late-game endurance. This wasn't the case in 2023 as the App OL stayed healthy and appeared to get stronger as the season progressed (the one exception being the Troy game).

Greenhalgh has been a massive upgrade in S&C and the kids have bought into his program 100%. We talk a lot about retaining players, but we're gonna want to hang on to Greenhalgh for as long as we can.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:00 pm

I think there was improvement in S and C . The failures we had running the ball in the games we lost weren’t the fault of our backs though. A lot of work to get done before we win the conference.

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:06 am

It’s a talent issue not S&C although time in the weight room goes hand in hand if you have what it takes to be an above average lineman.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:21 pm

Pikapp79 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:06 am
It’s a talent issue not S&C although time in the weight room goes hand in hand if you have what it takes to be an above average lineman.
Sure, there were some question marks where the talent was concerned. But if everything was hunky dory with S&C, why did Clark bring in Greenhalgh?

It was common knowledge up here that S&C was clearly NOT where it needed to be and Clark was determined to change that.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:55 pm

A lot of portal talent committing , ready to see us land some difference makers , especially in the trenches.

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:29 am

Bootsy wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:21 pm
Pikapp79 wrote:
Sure, there were some question marks where the talent was concerned. But if everything was hunky dory with S&C, why did Clark bring in Greenhalgh?

It was common knowledge up here that S&C was clearly NOT where it needed to be and Clark was determined to change that.
Didn’t say S&C was the issue. The opposite.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:04 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:50 pm
Re: winning/losing in the trenches, Matt Greenhalgh's S&C program made a massive difference this season.

Example:

We've witnessed two consistent OL-related themes in the recent past: a lack of durability and late-game endurance. This wasn't the case in 2023 as the App OL stayed healthy and appeared to get stronger as the season progressed (the one exception being the Troy game).

Greenhalgh has been a massive upgrade in S&C and the kids have bought into his program 100%. We talk a lot about retaining players, but we're gonna want to hang on to Greenhalgh for as long as we can.
People are defending the stretch much better since it's basically become a staple all across college football and the NFL now. When App began running it, you didn't see it nearly as often as you see it now. Frank and Shawn are going to have to come up with some tweaks to either run off of it or they need to design something new. 9 years of running the same offense doesn't usually pan out very well. I think that's part of why Joey took off down the stretch; Clark finally ceded the "run at all costs" mantra and they went with "you gotta do what you gotta do".

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:53 pm

Pikapp79 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:29 am
Bootsy wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:21 pm
Pikapp79 wrote:

Didn’t say S&C was the issue. The opposite.
Except S&C WAS an issue beyond all doubt. One little noticed fact also was much less cramping this year and S&C also has an impact in that area.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:58 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:50 pm

Example:

100% agree. Before I say my point I do want to thank Watts for his contributions and wish him luck. With that said, as long we keep Matt we should not be hurt too much by the loss of Watts. I would rather have to replace a solid coordinator than replace a really good strength coach.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:42 pm

Our stretch definitely needs to be visited now in the off season as it has become apparent over the last few seasons that it is known how to defend it successfully. our best runs we’re counter to the direction of the stretch either by design or improvisation of the back. Lots of 4th and shorts we could have made had we not telegraphed the way we are headed, especially since outsized as we are by design. Once the stretch is motioning in its direction, the defense loads the area with more bodies to stop it since we almost never run any new wrinkle off of it.
BLACK SATURDAY

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:02 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:42 pm
Our stretch definitely needs to be visited now in the off season as it has become apparent over the last few seasons that it is known how to defend it successfully. our best runs we’re counter to the direction of the stretch either by design or improvisation of the back. Lots of 4th and shorts we could have made had we not telegraphed the way we are headed, especially since outsized as we are by design. Once the stretch is motioning in its direction, the defense loads the area with more bodies to stop it since we almost never run any new wrinkle off of it.
AMEN, AMEN and AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:35 pm

I was thinking over the season that it might be time for an offensive scheme change. App has done the stretch runs since 2014. The spread option lasted about a decade starting in 2004. Maybe continue the tradition of implementing a new offense in a year ending in 4?

704App

Unread post by 704App » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:38 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:35 pm
I was thinking over the season that it might be time for an offensive scheme change. App has done the stretch runs since 2014. The spread option lasted about a decade starting in 2004. Maybe continue the tradition of implementing a new offense in a year ending in 4?
I would love to see some more concepts from the go go offense currently team at UNLV.

I was reading up on him last night. He created this offense to basically have a triple option attack plus a vertical pass game with extremely off balanced sets and ends up making the defense defend an ineligible receiver leaving it 10 v 11.

It's a really cool concept.

The guys name is Brennan Marion. He created it as a need to compete as a high school coach at a school with significantly less talent.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:26 pm

I don’t believe we have the type of innovative staff for a drastic offensive scheme change.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:33 pm

Block better. Tackle better. Don’t turn the ball over. Limit penalties.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:55 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:26 pm
I don’t believe we have the type of innovative staff for a drastic offensive scheme change.
BINGO

However it would be nice to have a new scheme to go to Clemson with......
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:56 pm

704App wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:38 am
T-Dog wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:35 pm
I would love to see some more concepts from the go go offense currently team at UNLV.

I was reading up on him last night. He created this offense to basically have a triple option attack plus a vertical pass game with extremely off balanced sets and ends up making the defense defend an ineligible receiver leaving it 10 v 11.

It's a really cool concept.

The guys name is Brennan Marion. He created it as a need to compete as a high school coach at a school with significantly less talent.
I'm game
BLACK SATURDAY

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:04 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:26 pm
I wouldn't characterize Jerry Moore as "innovative" but he did it. That said, I'm really not sure that we need a whole new system. We do need to add some wrinkles and figure out how to use misdirection. Mix in some beef and execution and I think we're fine.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:43 pm

Maybe folks were taking notes during the OSU/Mizzou game tonight. The Tigers converted critical late-game 4th & shorts with some really cool plays.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”