Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ULM

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Re: ULM

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:17 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:28 am
If 7-5 or 8-4 is now the new acceptable for App, that's horrible, is not the App I've followed for 35 years, and is not our standards. Like many said, expectations and acceptance of mediocrity have crept in. We didn't fall off a cliff, just a slooooow erosion of standards. And who do we beat/lose to, HOW do we win/lose? We beat the bad teams (barely..how many still end up being 1 score games? remember when App used to blow teams out?..and thank goodness for fcs wins)...we lose convincingly to the top tier teams, we're 2nd tier in the Sunbelt now.

Mediocrity is the WORST place to be in sports, not good enough to win titles, not bad enough to make changes, people learn to accept it, and before you know it we've wasted 10-15 years. Go back and read the thread about "what do you hope to see from the 2023 season"....i see "just want a team that competes/makes me proud/shows improvement....etc etc"....page after page of comments with people not even using the word "championship."....that's not a goal anymore? it's not achievable to the point we don't even discuss titles as realistic possibilities...we went from multiple consecutive SB titles, culminating in 2019 with one of the best teams in schools history that was some wind/weather and a few bounce away from a NY6 bowl, and in 3 short seasons the program has declined to where championships aren't even mentioned or discussed by the majority of people on this board in a thread about season goals...and people are ok with that?
This is so true. And THIS is Clark. In my opinion, he has not grown into the job. He's a good guy, but he doesn't inspire confidence. He kind of reminds me of Les Miles (who won championship and a bunch of games), but he didn't inspire confidence, and made a bunch of head-scratching in game calls. Steve Spurrier (who also won a title), just inspired confidence.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:36 pm

Back to ULM.

I like the way this is looking on paper. I think the team comes out hungry and ready to play a complete game. I think the offense comes up with another 400 plus yard game, we score touchdowns, and the defense locks down ULM.

I feel inspired confidence ;)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:52 pm

canes_mj wrote:
If 7-5 or 8-4 is now the new acceptable for App, that's horrible, is not the App I've followed for 35 years, and is not our standards. Like many said, expectations and acceptance of mediocrity have crept in. We didn't fall off a cliff, just a slooooow erosion of standards. And who do we beat/lose to, HOW do we win/lose? We beat the bad teams (barely..how many still end up being 1 score games? remember when App used to blow teams out?..and thank goodness for fcs wins)...we lose convincingly to the top tier teams, we're 2nd tier in the Sunbelt now.

Mediocrity is the WORST place to be in sports, not good enough to win titles, not bad enough to make changes, people learn to accept it, and before you know it we've wasted 10-15 years. Go back and read the thread about "what do you hope to see from the 2023 season"....i see "just want a team that competes/makes me proud/shows improvement....etc etc"....page after page of comments with people not even using the word "championship."....that's not a goal anymore? it's not achievable to the point we don't even discuss titles as realistic possibilities...we went from multiple consecutive SB titles, culminating in 2019 with one of the best teams in schools history that was some wind/weather and a few bounce away from a NY6 bowl, and in 3 short seasons the program has declined to where championships aren't even mentioned or discussed by the majority of people on this board in a thread about season goals...and people are ok with that?
Where are you getting 7-5 or 8-4 being the new acceptable?

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:42 pm

canes_mj wrote:

How many wins would you like to see every year? And before you answer that please tell me if you'd prefer a Sun Belt full of crap teams, our non-conference schedule be against Meredith College and when do you expect young players to develop while the Thomas Henegans, Zach Thomas, Nick Hamptons and Noah Hannons hog all the playing time for 4 years?

If you've been watching App for as long as you have then you know that teams go through peaks and valleys and that given all the success we've had since 2017 that a year like last year was bound to happen. It was and you know it.

Now before you go off on the "Clark and Co can coach better" remember that Clark was delt a pretty raw hand with the recruiting misses that Drink had and then he had COVID. For someone who had no HC experience I'd say he did a pretty damn good job keeping things together.

And if you want someone else as HC I want you to think abou this...If he's let go who do we get to replace him? Better yet who can we afford? Its either an long time or young assistant or an over the hill HC who was fired...Take a look at ArkSt and GS and tell me thats what you want...and if its an assistant and they do well, like Kinne at TxSt, they're gone and this process starts all over.

I really hate your take and I'd hate sitting next to you at game b/c anything that isn't perfect is grounds for a firing. Enjoy how good we have it and cheer these kids on. The grass is pretty green right now are you sure its greener?

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:18 pm

I should try to find my post I did probably a couple of years ago that asked- what will happen if by some chance App doesn't win 10 games for a couple of seasons? The reactions were predictable. The unrealistic or delusional segment of the "fan base" will go nuts. The calm and rational folks won't scream for coaching changes every week. There were some who wanted us to leave the Belt and go to the AAC because clearly we are superior with our Lamborghini roster. While we were handling the Idahos and New Mexico States and the Monroe's of the old Belt people got absolutely spoiled. Some standard was established in some minds and the thought of a .500 season became unthinkable. We are using the portal now and our young roster looks strong. Barring a rash of injuries we should do well in conference play. People need to just relax.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:24 pm

Here is huge point about the level of our SBC competition.

Does anyone believe that the SBC teams in 2014-2019 is anywhere near what we have in last 3 years? Especially the last two years with newest additions?

The SBC is absolutely much stronger top to bottom than when Satt and Drink coached here. As such, an equivalent W/L record would be a bigger accomplishment today. We have to be fair and acknowledge that reality. That doesn't mean I don't expect a lot out of our program but I also have to be fair and factual in any comparison of those two periods in FBS.

The reality is SC does have a bigger task than the two before him. It's like we moved up to the AAC from a few years ago, would we expect to rule the conference right away. As such, winning the SBC today is a bigger accomplishment then when we came into the conference. I do want to rule the conference but that will mean a lot more now than the SBC of 10 yrs ago.
Last edited by AtlAppMan on Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:26 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:42 pm
canes_mj wrote:

How many wins would you like to see every year? And before you answer that please tell me if you'd prefer a Sun Belt full of crap teams, our non-conference schedule be against Meredith College and when do you expect young players to develop while the Thomas Henegans, Zach Thomas, Nick Hamptons and Noah Hannons hog all the playing time for 4 years?

If you've been watching App for as long as you have then you know that teams go through peaks and valleys and that given all the success we've had since 2017 that a year like last year was bound to happen. It was and you know it.

Now before you go off on the "Clark and Co can coach better" remember that Clark was delt a pretty raw hand with the recruiting misses that Drink had and then he had COVID. For someone who had no HC experience I'd say he did a pretty damn good job keeping things together.

And if you want someone else as HC I want you to think abou this...If he's let go who do we get to replace him? Better yet who can we afford? Its either an long time or young assistant or an over the hill HC who was fired...Take a look at ArkSt and GS and tell me thats what you want...and if its an assistant and they do well, like Kinne at TxSt, they're gone and this process starts all over.

I really hate your take and I'd hate sitting next to you at game b/c anything that isn't perfect is grounds for a firing. Enjoy how good we have it and cheer these kids on. The grass is pretty green right now are you sure its greener?
In total agreement. If any of the folks wanting staff gone would look they would know our team truly looks much better than a year ago-- that's what we want. Clark has brought in 2 coordinators that know App. The biggest thing is as long as we're moving forward, we will be good for a long time due to being able to have continuity with big pieces of staff-- Sloan and Ponce WANT to be here now, Clark WANTS to be here. Its a process and, yes, improvement HAS to show but the thing is, as you stated, WHO do we get that we can afford that can meet some of our folks expectations? What would any stability look like? This program cannot afford to continue going through new coordinators every year. I suggest some of our folks take a step back. Let's see where we are at seasons end-- If we finish bad and you feel better, I'll eat crow and you can go with the "I told ya so"... Until then, let's see the improvement from last year and support ALL of this team.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:41 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:24 pm

Does anyone believe that the SBC teams in 2014-2019 is anywhere near what we have in last 3 years? Especially the last two years with newest additions?

The SBC is absolutely much stronger top to bottom than when Satt and Drink coached here. As such, an equivalent W/L record would be a bigger accomplishment today. We have to be fair and acknowledge that reality. That doesn't mean I don't expect a lot out of our program but I also have to be fair and factual in any comparison of those two periods in FBS.

The reality is SC does have a bigger task than the two before him. It's like we moved up to the AAC from a few years ago, would we expect to rule the conference right away. As such, winning the SBC today is a bigger accomplishment then when we came into the conference. I do want to rule the conference but that will mean a lot more now than the SBC of 10 yrs ago.
This is such a great point. We moved up in conference prestige and most of our fans don't even realize it

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:46 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:42 pm
canes_mj wrote:

Don't be going all logical on us. They'll call you names.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:50 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:

I stole this from Yosef181 on the Sun Belt Message board which supports your view:

“Post: #1Massey Conference Rank - Sun Belt History
According to the Massey Composite Ratings, the Sun Belt widened its lead over the rest fo the G5 yesterday:

1. SEC (8.25)
2. Pac-12 (8.24)
3. Big Ten (8.09)
4. Big 12 (8.03)
5. ACC (7.90)
--------------------------------
6. Sun Belt (7.31)
7. Mountain West (7.19)
8. AAC (7.12)
9. Conference USA (6.93)
10. MAC (6.89)

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fbs/ratings?c=1

Looking back, here's how the Sun Belt has risen through the Massey Composite conference ranking over the last 15 years:

2008: 11th - Worst conference in FBS
2009: 11th
2010: 11th
2011: 11th
2012: 11th
2013: 9th - SBC rises above the MAC. First year without the WAC.
2014: 10th - SBC falls below the MAC.
2015: 10th
2016: 9th - SBC rises above CUSA.
2017: 9th
2018: 9th
2019: 8th - SBC rises above the MAC.
2020: 8th
2021: 8th
2022: 7th - SBC rises above the Mountain West.
2023: 6th (so far) - SBC rises above the AAC.“

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:01 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:46 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:32 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:18 am
I don't care if it's Burger, Aguilar, or Noel throwing the ball. Just be smart.
I’m guessing you might be referencing those throws out the the flats. In particular the turn over on the backwards pass. I hope we don’t give up on that play. I have been wanting us to get our athletes in space with the ball and that’s exactly what that play can do. In short, love the idea, hate the execution.
Yes, it's a brilliant play design. And if Davis catches it, he's in the end zone easily.

I don't think it'll be removed from the playbook or anything. But, it very clearly needs more preparation.
Don’t see how he would have scored easily. If iirc, The guy that recovered the lateral was close enough to make a tackle if it had been caught.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:04 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:50 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

I stole this from Yosef181 on the Sun Belt Message board which supports your view:

“Post: #1Massey Conference Rank - Sun Belt History
According to the Massey Composite Ratings, the Sun Belt widened its lead over the rest fo the G5 yesterday:

1. SEC (8.25)
2. Pac-12 (8.24)
3. Big Ten (8.09)
4. Big 12 (8.03)
5. ACC (7.90)
--------------------------------
6. Sun Belt (7.31)
7. Mountain West (7.19)
8. AAC (7.12)
9. Conference USA (6.93)
10. MAC (6.89)

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fbs/ratings?c=1

Looking back, here's how the Sun Belt has risen through the Massey Composite conference ranking over the last 15 years:

2008: 11th - Worst conference in FBS
2009: 11th
2010: 11th
2011: 11th
2012: 11th
2013: 9th - SBC rises above the MAC. First year without the WAC.
2014: 10th - SBC falls below the MAC.
2015: 10th
2016: 9th - SBC rises above CUSA.
2017: 9th
2018: 9th
2019: 8th - SBC rises above the MAC.
2020: 8th
2021: 8th
2022: 7th - SBC rises above the Mountain West.
2023: 6th (so far) - SBC rises above the AAC.“
Sagarin Ratings:

CONFERENCE CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS WIN50%

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 82.46 82.36 ( 1) 7 82.34 ( 1)
2 BIG TEN-EAST (A) = 80.44 80.20 ( 2) 7 80.27 ( 2)
3 PAC-12 (A) = 78.02 77.57 ( 5) 12 77.75 ( 5)
4 SEC-EAST (A) = 77.85 77.71 ( 4) 7 77.90 ( 4)
5 BIG 12 (A) = 77.34 78.22 ( 3) 14 77.96 ( 3)
6 ACC (A) = 74.53 74.32 ( 6) 14 74.38 ( 6)
7 BIG TEN-WEST (A) = 73.35 73.91 ( 7) 7 73.81 ( 7)
8 SUN BELT EAST (A) = 68.28 67.80 ( 8) 7 67.97 ( 8)
9 MOUNTAIN WEST (A) = 64.95 64.86 ( 9) 12 64.90 ( 9)
10 AMERICAN ATHLETIC (A) = 63.46 63.99 ( 10) 14 63.85 ( 10)
11 I-A IND. (A) = 62.09 63.15 ( 11) 4 61.86 ( 11)
12 MAC-WEST (A) = 60.40 61.20 ( 12) 6 61.01 ( 12)
13 SUN BELT WEST (A) = 59.68 59.69 ( 13) 7 59.70 ( 13)
14 MAC-EAST (A) = 58.52 58.98 ( 14) 6 58.82 ( 14)
15 CONF-USA (A) = 57.45 58.11 ( 15) 9 57.91 ( 15)

8 SUN BELT EAST (A) = 68.28 67.80 ( 8) TEAMS= 7 67.97 ( 8)
College Football 2023 through games of September 23 Saturday - Week #4
RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | PREDICTOR | GOLDEN_MEAN | RECENT
HOME ADVANTAGE=[ 2.46] [ 2.44] [ 2.49] [ 2.45]
56 Appalachian State A = 72.83 2 2 66.88( 66) 0 0 | 0 1 | 73.94 49 | 73.19 53 | 71.77 58 SUN BELT EAST
65 Marshall A = 70.95 3 0 60.83( 117) 0 0 | 0 0 | 70.92 63 | 72.81 57 | 69.53 69 SUN BELT EAST
71 James Madison A = 70.00 4 0 60.72( 118) 0 0 | 0 0 | 69.33 76 | 71.73 64 | 68.87 72 SUN BELT EAST
79 Georgia State A = 67.97 4 0 56.28( 157) 0 0 | 0 0 | 67.55 81 | 68.12 81 | 67.34 79 SUN BELT EAST
80 Georgia Southern A = 67.78 3 1 58.76( 137) 0 0 | 0 1 | 65.60 91 | 66.25 88 | 69.14 70 SUN BELT EAST
81 Coastal Carolina A = 67.57 2 2 59.30( 133) 0 0 | 0 1 | 68.77 77 | 67.01 84 | 66.42 83 SUN BELT EAST
125 Old Dominion A = 57.48 2 2 60.34( 123) 0 0 | 0 0 | 55.72 136 | 57.68 124 | 56.53 127 SUN BELT EAST

Our schedule is rated as the 66th toughest year to date. Marshall is at 117, JMU at 118, GaSt. at 157.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:15 pm

I refuse to lower our expectations due to the SBC getting better. We were the catalyst for that improvement and should continue to step up.

We should be leading the way not just be one of the top five programs in a G5 conference.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:44 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:15 pm
I refuse to lower our expectations due to the SBC getting better. We were the catalyst for that improvement and should continue to step up.

We should be leading the way not just be one of the top five programs in a G5 conference.
Shocking to me that people think this is an option. We’re ok with 7-5 as long as we win 9 every once in a while? We could be the premier G5 school in the country with our fan support and brand for gods sake!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:15 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:

100% agreed. The Sun Belt went from being the biggest joke and not only worst among FBS but pretty much was behind 2 FCS leagues. The SBC passed the MAC, then CUSA, then MWC, and now the AAC. I would say going 9-3 this year is comparable to 11-1 or 12-0 in 2018 or 2019 and 7-5 now would be like 9-3 then. If a team can go 10-2 or 9-3 with just 1 SBC loss then I feel like that is a really good year.

It will take more but I think our best bet is a money ball type approach. We have to get the P5 players that are overlooked, lure in some good small school transfers, and hit in HS recruiting big time with our sleepers and projects. I would hope our goal is to prevent as many future NFL players and top tier college players from falling to small schools in the VA, NC, SC, and GA area as we can. We have to be really accurate with evals for sure because we are definitely not going to outbid P5 schools and some G5 schools for players who are looking for money.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:22 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:44 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Shocking to me that people think this is an option. We’re ok with 7-5 as long as we win 9 every once in a while? We could be the premier G5 school in the country with our fan support and brand for gods sake!
For the MILLIONTH time, no one is saying we are okay with 7-5. We have literally won 9 or more games the past 7 out of 8 years lol. One year we have an off year, follow it up with a double OT loss to a top 15 team and a tough 3 point loss to a team that beat Texas Tech; was tied with Texas through 3 quarters and everyone is freaking out.

No one and I mean absolutely no one is changing the expectations of our program as a whole. We are just trying to offer people with explanations to why the sky is not actually falling. Let this year play out.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:42 am

Longrifle28 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:36 pm
Back to ULM.

I like the way this is looking on paper. I think the team comes out hungry and ready to play a complete game. I think the offense comes up with another 400 plus yard game, we score touchdowns, and the defense locks down ULM.

I feel inspired confidence ;)
I’m tired of every thread getting derailed to talk about the same thing over and over.

I agree. Nothing I’ve seen makes ULM look particularly threatening. Obviously, they’ll give App their best shot, but it won’t be enough.

I think some are giving ULM credit because their record isn’t bad, but they haven’t really played anyone. A close loss to Wyoming is more impressive than a close win over Army.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:10 am

Behavior changes are often slow and hard to notice. My posts are meant to deter that creep over time.

When you set goals discussion of mediocrity is is a cancer.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:55 am

asumba95 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:01 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:46 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:32 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:18 am
I don't care if it's Burger, Aguilar, or Noel throwing the ball. Just be smart.
I’m guessing you might be referencing those throws out the the flats. In particular the turn over on the backwards pass. I hope we don’t give up on that play. I have been wanting us to get our athletes in space with the ball and that’s exactly what that play can do. In short, love the idea, hate the execution.
Yes, it's a brilliant play design. And if Davis catches it, he's in the end zone easily.

I don't think it'll be removed from the playbook or anything. But, it very clearly needs more preparation.
Don’t see how he would have scored easily. If iirc, The guy that recovered the lateral was close enough to make a tackle if it had been caught.
Correct. It seems like we had a puppet on here spewing nonsense for a while.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:00 am

Saint3333 wrote:

I agree, but it’s important to point out factual information when comparing current coach vs previous coaches (which I know you are not doing with your comment). In 5 years. Satterfield’s best non-conference wins were against average conference USA, MWC and MAC teams. His best wins overall would probably be Toledo and Arkansas State. There was not really any good teams in the Sun Belt when he was coaching. And he had atrocious clock management. And he was not successful, immediately. Clark has struggled early but I’ve seen signs of improvement and he’s been competitive against much better teams with several top 25 wins. 6-6, 7-5 on a regular basis is absolutely not acceptable. My floor is 8-4 but I expect to go undefeated. But even the best coaches of the best programs have a WTF season every now and then. Clark has had one WTF season. Let’s give him some grace and see how this season plays out. 6-6 again with what he’s got this season and you’re not going to have many defending him still. But yes, we should be leading the way. That doesn’t mean you have to win the championship every year. No one does that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”