Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wyoming Post-Game

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wyoming Post-Game

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:52 am

You cant pick much....Our game plan was solid and the guys executed it well and except for failing to block ( or a Hughes low kick) on that BFT we were winning that game.
We arent the only team that has miracle finishes. Show me a coach that gets everything right during a game and I'll buy you a Booneshine!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:00 am

The thing I cannot get past is the complete domination. If the game was statistically even and had been evenly matched on the field then yeah, I can see saying a couple of fluke plays turned the tide. But you absolutely cannot lose a game where you were so completely dominant on both sides of the ball. We should have never been in a place where a fluke could decide that game.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:13 am

appst89 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:00 am
The thing I cannot get past is the complete domination. If the game was statistically even and had been evenly matched on the field then yeah, I can see saying a couple of fluke plays turned the tide. But you absolutely cannot lose a game where you were so completely dominant on both sides of the ball. We should have never been in a place where a fluke could decide that game.
It's not the domination of stats that matters in a game like this - It's the score - In a low scoring game - a defensive battle - one or two plays can absolutely make the difference. Their punter kept us in the hole most of the game - when you have to go 98 yards to score instead of 60, stats can be accumulated but the extra yardage makes it substantially harder to score.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:17 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:13 am
appst89 wrote:
It's not the domination of stats that matters in a game like this - It's the score - In a low scoring game - a defensive battle - one or two plays can absolutely make the difference. Their punter kept us in the hole most of the game - when you have to go 98 yards to score instead of 60, stats can be accumulated but the extra yardage makes it substantially harder to score.
It shouldn't have been low scoring. There are no excuses for this game being a loss. A fluke play should have been irrelevant to the outcome.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:24 am

Maybe it "shouldn't have been low scoring" - True- but is was and to go back and say things should/shouldn't happen is easy after the fact.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:27 am

Also, as I haven't watched the replay yet, my initial view was that Horn was interfered with in the end zone right before the last play
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:29 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:27 am
Also, as I haven't watched the replay yet, my initial view was that Horn was interfered with in the end zone right before the last play
On this, we agree!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:31 am

appst89 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:17 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:13 am
appst89 wrote:
It shouldn't have been low scoring. There are no excuses for this game being a loss. A fluke play should have been irrelevant to the outcome.
You are assuming Wyoming didn't do anything to make plays, they did. I went back and rewatched some of game to refresh my perspective.

I hated to take field goals but the logic wasn't bad in the moment and also after rewatching.
The first one, we marched down field and then SC decided to take points as mostly sure thing vs 4th and goal on 3 which ISN'T sure thing. Logic put something on scoreboard and hope to get TD next time.
2nd one was 4th and longer so FG made sense.
3rd one, we were DOWN 7-6 so FG puts us ahead 9-7.

At every step there was reasonable logic.
On the blocked FG FOR A TD, that is a very very slim chance outcome, even Coach Bohl said he now has seen everything. If we miss, or get it blocked and they get it at 40 with 60 yards to score TD I like our chances. The absolute worst case scenario played out.

We all know that in a close game something can go wrong. Last year we were the recipients at A&M and Troy. This year Wyoming was against us. It sucks but happens. We did a lot of good in that game.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:31 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:24 am
Maybe it "shouldn't have been low scoring" - True- but is was and to go back and say things should/shouldn't happen is easy after the fact.
It felt that way half way through the second quarter, I couldn't have been the only one.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:33 am

Another thing I saw which I'm not sure if it was on TV...

After the last play, every captain came up to JA and talked to him. They all kept his chin up. That's the on field leadership we didn't have last year. We are getting it back. Still room to improve, but this team is almost back to App State football ways. Play for the brother next to you -- not for yourself.

Another big moment was Ryan Burger went and sat with JA for an extended period after as well. No idea what was discussed between those two, but seeing their body language and emotion, they have a special bond too.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:33 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:27 am
Sure looked like it. Punch one ot two in the end zone earlier in the game and its a non issue, but being where we were at the time it would have been nice for the ref not to swallow his whistle.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:34 am

Also, I don't remember anyone crediting Coach Clark for his use of time-outs in the first half when he set us up for a 50 yard FG.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:38 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:34 am
Also, I don't remember anyone crediting Coach Clark for his use of time-outs in the first half when he set us up for a 50 yard FG.
The one that allowed us to steal 3 points back? And most people are complaining about the FGs and thought we should go for it on one of those... so, if we go for it and get it, that's an extra 4 points...

We got an extra 3. So, not going for it on one of those FGs in the first half only netted them a 1 point difference?

Be careful with all those excuses though! If Clark was any good, he would have been able to score a TD at the end of the first half. FIRE HIM NOW!!!!
tAPPedInSports.net

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:42 am

Just curious, what do the statistics say probability of making a TD on 4th and 3 from the 3 yard line? Not 4th and 3 from anywhere ...but 4th and 3 with 3yards to get into the end zone. I have no clue.
However, I would like to know since many here seem to think we should have went for it at that point.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:43 am

I keep forgetting the unwashed masses know nothing about football and should keep their mouths shut until the experts tell them what they are allowed to think.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:47 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:38 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:34 am
The one that allowed us to steal 3 points back? And most people are complaining about the FGs and thought we should go for it on one of those... so, if we go for it and get it, that's an extra 4 points...

We got an extra 3. So, not going for it on one of those FGs in the first half only netted them a 1 point difference?

Be careful with all those excuses though! If Clark was any good, he would have been able to score a TD at the end of the first half. FIRE HIM NOW!!!!
My issue was not that we kicked field goals on 4th down. It was the play calling that got us to 4th down. In particular on the next to last drive. It simply looked like we decided to play for the field goal. And yes, what Coach did at the end of the first half was awesome. My biggest problem was the drive that ended in the blocked field goal and having to basically waste 2 time outs. We have to start beating teams with wining records!!!

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:48 am

Coaching staffs mouthpiece working overtime, I see

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:48 am

appst89 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:43 am
I keep forgetting the unwashed masses know nothing about football and should keep their mouths shut until the experts tell them what they are allowed to think.
Likewise, I keep forgetting people that think they know everything about football, coaching, xs and os, but they can't tell you the difference between an inside and outside zone should should be the only ones that are allowed to voice their opinions without ridicule.

My bad. Thought it was a two way street and everyone was allowed to express how they feel. Guess only the negative posters (a lot of which can't even tell you the difference between an offensive tackle and a defensive tackle other than the side of the ball they line up on) are allowed to do that.
tAPPedInSports.net

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:48 am

My two cents:

We came into this season having to break in a new QB, rebuild the OL, tons of youth on defense, two new coordinators (yes they were both familiar with our program but they were new with our players)...and a tough OOC schedule to start the season. From what I've seen, the coaches had us in position to win all 4 games and the team came within inches of being undefeated and ranked at this point. If the team continues to mature, we're going to do fine in the SBC East. We might drop another game or two, but the others most likely will too.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:49 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:48 am
appst89 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:43 am
Likewise, I keep forgetting people that think they know everything about football, coaching, xs and os, but they can't tell you the difference between an inside and outside zone should should be the only ones that are allowed to voice their opinions without ridicule.

My bad. Thought it was a two way street and everyone was allowed to express how they feel. Guess only the negative posters (a lot of which can't even tell you the difference between an offensive tackle and a defensive tackle other than the side of the ball they line up on) are allowed to do that.
Show me where you were prevented from expressing your opinion, or from expressing your ridicule.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”