Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wyoming Post-Game

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wyoming Post-Game

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:30 pm

311neers wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:48 am
FWIW, most at the beginning of the year pegged us to lose the 2 games we have (even though we should have won both). Our expectations/standard have fallen in a short matter of time.

2-2 isn’t a bad position to be in after Wyoming, UNC, and EZU. But it doesn’t get any easier as after this. We better pony up and grow some kahonies and finish this slate off > .500.
You are right , of course .The sting perhaps results from the fact that we are a couple plays away from being 4-0 and ranked in the top 25?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:38 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:30 pm
311neers wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:48 am
FWIW, most at the beginning of the year pegged us to lose the 2 games we have (even though we should have won both). Our expectations/standard have fallen in a short matter of time.

2-2 isn’t a bad position to be in after Wyoming, UNC, and EZU. But it doesn’t get any easier as after this. We better pony up and grow some kahonies and finish this slate off > .500.
You are right , of course .The sting perhaps results from the fact that we are a couple plays away from being 4-0 and ranked in the top 25?
Technically, I believe it does get easier. ULM, Coastal, ODU and Southern Miss are our next 4 games. I’d say those are easier than UNC, ECU and Wyoming

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:49 pm

That's true about a true dual-threat QB - however I might be wrong but I think every time Joey has run the ball he got at least the yardage needed - Red Zone is no where close to being totally on the QB
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:53 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:13 pm
AppSt12 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:12 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:13 am
OK - I just don't want to go back through all the gameday posts - I never check-in nor post during a game -
1. Nobody reasonably thought we would playing in the NY6 game - Correct?
2. The realistic goal of conference championship is still 100% in front of us
3. Bowl game opportunities are going to be there
As for the Wyoming game I am sure many will have comments many possibly in the other threads but feel free to add here.
For me - It was a crushing defeat but, please, take my word for it, as a 70+ year fan of WVU, I and all WV fans have witnessed so many games ending like this - "the only way we are going to lose this game is this if ...................................."
Possibly because I have 70+ years experience with football - Also, I didn't see excuses - what your point?

- I thought we had a perfect game plan - beating them at their own game controlling the ball, working the clock, everything but we settled for FGs
- I'm sure some will have comments about coaching so go to it - personally, only a couple of play calls confused me
- The Defense was the best I have seen in some time - swarming to the ball, great coverage and solid tackling - Minus the 75 yd run (which we can't erase) they we held to 125 Total Yards - this team that the announcers continually reminded us could absolutely win the MW title ---

You do this every year. You sound like Shawn Clark. Making excuses like everything is ok. Its not buddy. We are average at best.
Sorry this got buried -

Possibly because I have 70+ years experience with football - Also, I didn't see excuses - what your point?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:58 pm

My opinion is we squandered away a win against Wyoming. That being said…when I step away from the disappointment of that game and look at our team these are my thoughts.

Our Defense continues to improve game by game. I really like the progress I see and could be the best product we have seen in many years. Sloan is doing great A+ so far.

Our Offense has a high ceiling and I really like the parts at this point. I have to remind myself that Joey has a lot of potential but has only played 4 fames at this level so he will make some mistakes as he progresses. The RBs look excellent and the WR room too. All appear to be improving. B rating but still needs improvement.

Special teams is doing well but made a grave mistake in this game.

I like SC’s moves with OC and DC and I like the direction. SC still has growing to do as an in game coach but I still believe he will get there. If he does it is the best route for App. I want a NY6 every year but have to remind myself of where we came from last year.

BTW I think we are a much better team this year than the last couple years.

And the SBC is much stronger now than 3-4 years ago so that also has to be factored into our evaluations.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:16 pm

If I noted the stat last night and if it is even correct as these networks seem to not have players and class correct...it appeared that most of our starting defense last night consisted of 6 or 7 sophomores, 1 Jr and a few seniors. If that is actually correct, the D has been even more impressive to me
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:22 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:16 pm
If I noted the stat last night and if it is even correct as these networks seem to not have players and class correct...it appeared that most of our starting defense last night consisted of 6 or 7 sophomores, 1 Jr and a few seniors. If that is actually correct, the D has been even more impressive to me
Yes, they've come together a lot quicker than expected. This scheme is hard to run but these young guns are learning it quick. What's stood out to me all season is when the game is on the line, we may have some 3rd stringers in still. That's going to pay HUGE dividends down the line. Being able to trust 3 deep across the board is tremendous.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:59 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:57 am
I am having a hard time understanding the negativity against Joey - I believe he has done a very good job - why would you want to go back to Ryan who has played one half of college football and has suffered with a broken finger for the last month - If Joey had really struggled it could be in the conversation - Joey has played very well in my opinion
well I don’t think it was a broken finger I had to move out of a parking place visiting my daughter at the Finnmore and shook his hand over two weeks ago. No wrap or cast. Just my observation.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:02 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:59 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:57 am
I am having a hard time understanding the negativity against Joey - I believe he has done a very good job - why would you want to go back to Ryan who has played one half of college football and has suffered with a broken finger for the last month - If Joey had really struggled it could be in the conversation - Joey has played very well in my opinion
well I don’t think it was a broken finger I had to move out of a parking place visiting my daughter at the Finnmore and shook his hand over two weeks ago. No wrap or cast. Just my observation.
He had surgery the next day. He had a compound fracture and a temporary rod inserted in the locker room day of....
tAPPedInSports.net

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:04 pm

Just telling you what I saw .

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:14 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:04 pm
Just telling you what I saw .
As am I. His bone was sticking out of his hand....
tAPPedInSports.net

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:17 pm

Well when I shook his hand over two weeks ago his right hand it wasn’t sorry I Dist take pictures

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:19 pm

So his bone was sticking out of his hand ? During the game? Wow

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:28 pm

Didn’t know it was that serious. That’s serious.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:29 pm

You can see during the 2nd quarter that Burger was bleeding through his bandages. That's a compound fracture.

Now why he was still playing at that point, I don't know.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:43 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:22 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
We were also making wholesale substitutions (5 players at a time) and the communication was solid. When Wyoming ran shifts or motion, we were talking and adjusting. Only two plays were chunk plays (going for more than 20 yards): the reverse to open the game and the back-breaking long TD run.

Yes, they've come together a lot quicker than expected. This scheme is hard to run but these young guns are learning it quick. What's stood out to me all season is when the game is on the line, we may have some 3rd stringers in still. That's going to pay HUGE dividends down the line. Being able to trust 3 deep across the board is tremendous.

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:26 am

QB is serviceable at best. No zip on the ball past 10 yards.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:50 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:43 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:22 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
We were also making wholesale substitutions (5 players at a time) and the communication was solid. When Wyoming ran shifts or motion, we were talking and adjusting. Only two plays were chunk plays (going for more than 20 yards): the reverse to open the game and the back-breaking long TD run.

They played their tales off. Shame how their last two plays ended in lack of execution, but they battled and were the only reason we were winning.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:43 am

I didn't get to watch the game live but watched a replay of it yesterday.

We're a good team that had every bad break imaginable go against us. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to win out or lose just one more going forward.

The timeout situation was the only inexcusable thing I saw from Clark and Co., and I'm sure he'll take full responsibility for that and be better next time.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:31 am

That was almost as gut wrenching a loss as some of the playoff games from our FCS days. Did plenty enough to win, but mistakes cost us in the end. It's still early in the year and lots of new faces and things still being worked out. To me, the difference for this years team opposed to last years is will we improve throughout the season. If we can button up our mental mistakes we will be dangerous. I'm actually feeling better about this years team, but I will reserve judgement until the end of the year.

Wyoming is a good team and played a tougher schedule than us. We knew going in that it would probably be a dog fight. Wyoming won because of turnovers and special team play. They were able to make one big play on offense, and kept us from making any really big plays on offense. I'm sure they are happy to have the win, but in their minds I am also sure they are trying to figure out how we put up over 400 yards and held them to around 200.

I don't get the negativism toward the QB. He's still learning, but he's a gamer. Regarding the last play it looked to me like he was trying to get the ball in a place for our players to make a play but couldn't step into it because of the blitz and underthrew it.

I know some are having problems with the field goals versus touchdowns, but that is kind of damned if you do/damned if you don't. I've always thought that when you were ahead you took the points. Anyway, that's kind of a judgement call and ended up not being enough.

Not an apologist, just thinking/hoping we can knock out the mistakes.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”