Wyoming Discussion

pop5app
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:02 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2272 times
Been thanked: 296 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:54 am

Team has played good so far. Even though we were behind at halftime we seemed like we were ready to play, finally! This will be, IMO, our toughest test. Feel good…. But as I said in an earlier post we felt like this exactly one year ago and then the wheels fell off.

Bigdaddyg1
Posts: 1386
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:51 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 741 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:08 am

pop5app wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:54 am
Team has played good so far. Even though we were behind at halftime we seemed like we were ready to play, finally! This will be, IMO, our toughest test. Feel good…. But as I said in an earlier post we felt like this exactly one year ago and then the wheels fell off.
Assume that you are looking at the Texas State game? Hopefully the first significant west trip doesn't happen again with a meltdown. Compare the main aspects of the team last year at this point versus this one. We obviously played UNC twice- this version of their team is better and we went toe to toe. I'd rate our team better right now (despite that A&M win). Is our coaching/play calling better? Our line and run game looks better to me. Our receivers are more experienced and overall look better. Is our defense better than this point last year?

Saint3333
Posts: 13141
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 3107 times
Been thanked: 4770 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:17 am

Overall record west of the Mississippi: 14-14

SBC: 13-5

Kansas 0-1
WYO, Hawaii, Boise 0-3
A&M 1-0
LSU 0-2
Montana 0-3
NMSU 1-0
Idaho 2-0
Texas St 3-1
ULM 2-1
ULL 3-2
Ark St 2-1

MrCraig
Posts: 1265
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 912 times
Been thanked: 1008 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:26 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:08 am
pop5app wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:54 am
Team has played good so far. Even though we were behind at halftime we seemed like we were ready to play, finally! This will be, IMO, our toughest test. Feel good…. But as I said in an earlier post we felt like this exactly one year ago and then the wheels fell off.
Assume that you are looking at the Texas State game? Hopefully the first significant west trip doesn't happen again with a meltdown. Compare the main aspects of the team last year at this point versus this one. We obviously played UNC twice- this version of their team is better and we went toe to toe. I'd rate our team better right now (despite that A&M win). Is our coaching/play calling better? Our line and run game looks better to me. Our receivers are more experienced and overall look better. Is our defense better than this point last year?
You can compare game logs here:
2022- https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... 2/gamelog/
2023- https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... 3/gamelog/

At a glance, through 3 games the offense is pretty comparable to last year. Defense is giving up more yards, but they are giving up fewer touchdowns and forcing more turnovers.
How crazy the UNC game was last year, and how putrid the Texas A&M offense was, really skews the data. I'd like to compare these stats again at the end of the month.

User avatar
ASUTodd
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 684 times
Been thanked: 750 times
Contact:

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:59 am

UNC was and is our toughest test. The pressure of the game. The ability of UNC's players. The hype of the game.... no other game will come close to that. Wyoming is nowhere near the team UNC is. Wyomings only chance of winning this game is to keep our offense off the field.....exactly what we did to Texas A&M. That's it. We will win this game.

Longrifle28
Posts: 1354
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1422 times
Been thanked: 583 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:16 pm

It will be interesting to see if we can run on Wyoming. Through 3 games our running game has been pretty good and I feel more confident in it than last year. UNC and ECU both were pretty good run defenses and it did not slow us down. Feel pretty good about our QB mobility and he has been able to put the ball where our receivers can make plays. Defense is still improving, but we have athletes and they will only continue to improve. Barring turnovers and injuries, I like our chances. Totally different feeling than last year....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Black Saturday
Posts: 10466
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 938 times
Been thanked: 1060 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:54 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:26 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:08 am
pop5app wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:54 am
Team has played good so far. Even though we were behind at halftime we seemed like we were ready to play, finally! This will be, IMO, our toughest test. Feel good…. But as I said in an earlier post we felt like this exactly one year ago and then the wheels fell off.
Assume that you are looking at the Texas State game? Hopefully the first significant west trip doesn't happen again with a meltdown. Compare the main aspects of the team last year at this point versus this one. We obviously played UNC twice- this version of their team is better and we went toe to toe. I'd rate our team better right now (despite that A&M win). Is our coaching/play calling better? Our line and run game looks better to me. Our receivers are more experienced and overall look better. Is our defense better than this point last year?
You can compare game logs here:
2022- https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... 2/gamelog/
2023- https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... 3/gamelog/

At a glance, through 3 games the offense is pretty comparable to last year. Defense is giving up more yards, but they are giving up fewer touchdowns and forcing more turnovers.
How crazy the UNC game was last year, and how putrid the Texas A&M offense was, really skews the data. I'd like to compare these stats again at the end of the month.
Nobody excepy APP fans may remembers us losing to Texas St last year but everybody remembers APP beating Texas A&M
BLACK SATURDAY

ericsaid
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 391 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:20 pm

biggie wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:51 am
ESPN has 59.9% for Wyoming.
No line out yet on there.
ESPN gave UNC at 92% chance to win. Ignore their garbage metrics.

ericsaid
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 391 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:22 pm

pop5app wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:54 am
Team has played good so far. Even though we were behind at halftime we seemed like we were ready to play, finally! This will be, IMO, our toughest test. Feel good…. But as I said in an earlier post we felt like this exactly one year ago and then the wheels fell off.
Last year App lost to UNC on a 2 point attempt, beat Texas A&M in a knock out drag out, skull dragging kind of way, then beats Troy on a hail mary, then gets up 28-3 on JMU and loses.

By that JMU game, App was playing a lot of young guys I don't think they had planned on playing. Nate and Cam were both hurt or hurting. Trey Cobb was out, Harrington was gone, a lot of young guys on defense were playing and the defensive line depth was a fraction of what it is now.

User avatar
biggie
Site Admin
Posts: 7566
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Clemmons
Has thanked: 1413 times
Been thanked: 1768 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:47 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:20 pm
biggie wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:51 am
ESPN has 59.9% for Wyoming.
No line out yet on there.
ESPN gave UNC at 92% chance to win. Ignore their garbage metrics.
I do, just interesting to see what they estimate.

User avatar
NeersBy90
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:09 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:08 am
pop5app wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:54 am
Team has played good so far. Even though we were behind at halftime we seemed like we were ready to play, finally! This will be, IMO, our toughest test. Feel good…. But as I said in an earlier post we felt like this exactly one year ago and then the wheels fell off.
Assume that you are looking at the Texas State game? Hopefully the first significant west trip doesn't happen again with a meltdown. Compare the main aspects of the team last year at this point versus this one. We obviously played UNC twice- this version of their team is better and we went toe to toe. I'd rate our team better right now (despite that A&M win). Is our coaching/play calling better? Our line and run game looks better to me. Our receivers are more experienced and overall look better. Is our defense better than this point last year?
I feel like our play calling has definitely been better (except for throwing the ball on 3rd and 6 from our own 5 yard line)...

Black Saturday
Posts: 10466
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 938 times
Been thanked: 1060 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:17 pm

Better than a 4th and 3 on our own 30
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday
Posts: 10466
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 938 times
Been thanked: 1060 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:18 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:22 pm
pop5app wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:54 am
Team has played good so far. Even though we were behind at halftime we seemed like we were ready to play, finally! This will be, IMO, our toughest test. Feel good…. But as I said in an earlier post we felt like this exactly one year ago and then the wheels fell off.
Last year App lost to UNC on a 2 point attempt, beat Texas A&M in a knock out drag out, skull dragging kind of way, then beats Troy on a hail mary, then gets up 28-3 on JMU and loses.

By that JMU game, App was playing a lot of young guys I don't think they had planned on playing. Nate and Cam were both hurt or hurting. Trey Cobb was out, Harrington was gone, a lot of young guys on defense were playing and the defensive line depth was a fraction of what it is now.
Long as we pay them back in October
BLACK SATURDAY

Bigdaddyg1
Posts: 1386
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:51 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 741 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:22 pm

I think I recall that Saturday we had a 3rd and maybe 6ish around the ECU 35. I turned to a guy beside me and sarcastically said well here comes a run. If I recall we did run it and took the ball down inside the 5. I turned to that guy and said "what the hell do we know"?

User avatar
NeersBy90
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:33 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:22 pm
I think I recall that Saturday we had a 3rd and maybe 6ish around the ECU 35. I turned to a guy beside me and sarcastically said well here comes a run. If I recall we did run it and took the ball down inside the 5. I turned to that guy and said "what the hell do we know"?
I don't mind that so much in this scenario. You basically have 2 downs to get it. A run call in that scenario leads me to believe that you'd go for it on 4th unless you lose yardage. Kind of like if a pitcher will throw a breaking ball 3-1, he'll throw it 3-2.

I get that worst case scenario happened on the 3rd and 6 with the pick 6 but in the first quarter, it seems wise to run the ball and punt as opposed to risking things.

I'm sure there's a valid reason for the play call, I just don't know it. Like you said "what in the hell do we know", they thankfully have never asked what I think haha.

User avatar
AppYosef!
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:58 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by AppYosef! » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:52 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:14 am
Not excited at all about the forecast, and not that it could be in the upper 30's, but the 25mph winds will be a problem in the passing game. With our guys, I gave us the advantage on being more multi-dimensional. Time to heal up TE's and the lines are going to have to play great. Time to whip out the winter gear for this one.
With a forecast like that I guess Joey will get an introduction to what he can expect in Boone this winter. I think some of his teammates have been kidding him about the harsh weather in Boone.⛄️❄️

User avatar
biggie
Site Admin
Posts: 7566
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Clemmons
Has thanked: 1413 times
Been thanked: 1768 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:56 pm


User avatar
ASUTodd
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 684 times
Been thanked: 750 times
Contact:

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:58 pm

biggie wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:56 pm
Its a menu of players to be fed to our team! GO APP STATE!

Stonewall
Posts: 5658
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2859 times
Been thanked: 2847 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:34 pm

It seems to me that we have better quality depth for the most part , across the roster .We may not see a couple of the guys that can make a difference until conference play.

AppSt94
Posts: 9996
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6610 times
Been thanked: 4150 times

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:38 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:33 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:22 pm
I think I recall that Saturday we had a 3rd and maybe 6ish around the ECU 35. I turned to a guy beside me and sarcastically said well here comes a run. If I recall we did run it and took the ball down inside the 5. I turned to that guy and said "what the hell do we know"?
I don't mind that so much in this scenario. You basically have 2 downs to get it. A run call in that scenario leads me to believe that you'd go for it on 4th unless you lose yardage. Kind of like if a pitcher will throw a breaking ball 3-1, he'll throw it 3-2.

I get that worst case scenario happened on the 3rd and 6 with the pick 6 but in the first quarter, it seems wise to run the ball and punt as opposed to risking things.

I'm sure there's a valid reason for the play call, I just don't know it. Like you said "what in the hell do we know", they thankfully have never asked what I think haha.
I don’t think that the play was designed to go where it did. Once Joey got the call from the side, ECU rushed the box essentially creating no running lanes and no throwing lanes to the middle. He would have little to no time to do anything else but throw it away.

I agree with you about the two downs to get the 1st. Analytics tells you that you have a 44% chance of making a 1st down on 3rd and 6. However, if you can somehow pick up 4 yards to make it a 4th and 2, your odds of converting increase dramatically to 67%.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”