Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

What is new at The Rock

AppinATL
School: Appalachian State

Re: What is new at The Rock

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:14 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:44 pm
According to DG on nothing but an app state podcast, WI-FI now in stadium in addition to game day apparel, the same as the coaches wear that game. Also added metal detectors, which according to the ticket office, you can’t bring in a pocket knife, so plan accordingly and leave in the car or you may have to give it up

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:16 pm

Doug Gillin seems to get a lot of passes from fans but he deserves much more criticisms. I arrived early and bought my concessions then which helped but I saw the mess. I don’t think we need any more stadium expansion until we can figure out how to handle the amount of people we currently have.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:18 pm

Wi-fi still sucked. I noticed zero difference from years past which means zero wifi. Also didn't see the alleged new grab and go station on the east side and the merch tent was just sad.

Doug needs to come over yo the east side during half time next game and see for himself what a $#it show we have to endure over there every game. Maybe then we can see some improvement.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:19 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:16 pm
Doug Gillin seems to get a lot of passes from fans but he deserves much more criticisms. I arrived early and bought my concessions then which helped but I saw the mess. I don’t think we need any more stadium expansion until we can figure out how to handle the amount of people we currently have.
That’s the problem though. They are allowing 7,000 people in over Capacity.

37k of a 30k stadium. Infrastructure and staffing isn’t there to support the extra 20-25%. Build more concessions/infrastructure or cut back some capacity.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:23 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:10 pm
Oh2bonh20 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:44 am
Did anyone purchase the white hoodie "item of the game"? We intended to purchase one, but after seeing how thin they were and the price of $65, we didn't purchase. Has this replaced the old game day tees?
I got one but that price made my head spin. If thats going to be the price each time for the “item of the game” thats my last item of the game for this year.
I imagine they will try to push a new Nike item each week. Some weeks it may be a T-shirt hoodie, like yesterday, some weeks it may be a quarter zip pull over, and some weeks it may just be a ball cap. Either way, I think the price point will be on par with most of our Nike inventory on campus in the campus store and the team shop at the stadium.

Are the Gameday screen printed T-shirts no longer being sold on the west side? I bought one or two over the years but never been my thing, so I tend to not pay attention to that area, where they have historically sold them. Either way, I imagine the market is slowly shrinking for the Gameday T-shirts and the Nike team gear has a much better profit margin. As for the pricing yesterday, $65 really is in line with most T-shirt hoodies that Nike sells with a collegiate license. Overpriced? Sure, but isn’t everything these days. $2 dollar Gildan T-shirts at most concerts are going for $45 or $50 now. By that comparison, a Nike branded long sleeve T-shirt hoodie at $65 is a relative steal.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:02 pm

Only one way to get someone to notice is when cash flow is involved. Also, we have game ops people, but most of those are brand new. Wonder what happened to the old ones??

Oh2bonh20

Unread post by Oh2bonh20 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:15 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:23 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:10 pm
Oh2bonh20 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:44 am
Did anyone purchase the white hoodie "item of the game"? We intended to purchase one, but after seeing how thin they were and the price of $65, we didn't purchase. Has this replaced the old game day tees?
I got one but that price made my head spin. If thats going to be the price each time for the “item of the game” thats my last item of the game for this year.
I imagine they will try to push a new Nike item each week. Some weeks it may be a T-shirt hoodie, like yesterday, some weeks it may be a quarter zip pull over, and some weeks it may just be a ball cap. Either way, I think the price point will be on par with most of our Nike inventory on campus in the campus store and the team shop at the stadium.

Are the Gameday screen printed T-shirts no longer being sold on the west side? I bought one or two over the years but never been my thing, so I tend to not pay attention to that area, where they have historically sold them. Either way, I imagine the market is slowly shrinking for the Gameday T-shirts and the Nike team gear has a much better profit margin. As for the pricing yesterday, $65 really is in line with most T-shirt hoodies that Nike sells with a collegiate license. Overpriced? Sure, but isn’t everything these days. $2 dollar Gildan T-shirts at most concerts are going for $45 or $50 now. By that comparison, a Nike branded long sleeve T-shirt hoodie at $65 is a relative steal.
I agree that is in line with a lot of sport/concert merchandise, but the quality was so subpar I just couldn't do it. GameDay shirts last year were $10, and I didn't always get one, but was affordable and I have a few that I really like from over the years.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:20 pm

B&G pod is a good listen.

Raley/Peacock was tame, not many students went to Sanford. Yikes

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:35 pm

311neers wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:20 pm
B&G pod is a good listen.

Raley/Peacock was tame, not many students went to Sanford. Yikes
Yet the student section and miller hill were still packed. Those that wanted their beverages found a way and enjoyed them. Seems like a win-win?

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:45 pm

Do any of y’all have T-Mobile? I understand that is who added capacity. Was it better? It’s not Wi-Fi. I’m with Verizon and still could not access webpages or send photos.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:01 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:45 pm
Do any of y’all have T-Mobile? I understand that is who added capacity. Was it better? It’s not Wi-Fi. I’m with Verizon and still could not access webpages or send photos.
I have T-Mobile and still couldn’t even pull other scores up in my phone 30 minutes before kickoff.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:07 pm

The water situation is embarrassing. You cannot charge $5 college kids $5 for water. if for nothing else, the optics..,..but, the potential health concerns. If these kids are tailgating and drinking adult beverages...they are already dehydrated coming into the stadium...got to be better than this....maybe there is a story behind the story of why that I am not aware of..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:23 pm

I finally made the decision to ditch verizon. If I am not going to get better service on gamedays, I rather just spend less doing it. Going with TMobile for now just b/c they offered the prepaid cards to pay off your phone with no contract

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:26 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:23 pm
I finally made the decision to ditch verizon. If I am not going to get better service on gamedays, I rather just spend less doing it. Going with TMobile for now just b/c they offered the prepaid cards to pay off your phone with no contract
Look in to Google Fi. They use t Mobile towers but charge by the data used. I think it's something like $20 a month plus $10 per GB of data used. I have a friend that works from home, so he always uses WiFi and hardly ever any data. Because it this, his cell bill is typically $30-$40 a month for basically unlimited usage..
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppBox

Unread post by AppBox » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:08 pm

Be sure to check your mail and complete the gameday experience survey if you got it tonight.

ASUchipman

Unread post by ASUchipman » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:29 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:15 am
JTApps1 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:09 am
We really need to consider a 5pm start for the first game each year. It was brutally hot on the East Side and the concessions issues just compounded it. I thought we handled it much better last year, but this isn't the first time we've had these issues on a hot day. I think biggest issue is they underestimated the crowd size for this GW game.

Starting at 5pm would alleviate a lot of these issues and still allow people enough time to get home off the mountain.
My Sun burnt body agrees 100 percent.
Ditto. My scalp burned in the shower this morning.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:08 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:18 pm
Wi-fi still sucked. I noticed zero difference from years past which means zero wifi. Also didn't see the alleged new grab and go station on the east side and the merch tent was just sad.

Doug needs to come over yo the east side during half time next game and see for himself what a $#it show we have to endure over there every game. Maybe then we can see some improvement.
Wi-Fi worked for me. Was in the NZ bleachers. So not sure if that made a difference.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:13 pm

biggie wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:08 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:18 pm

Wi-Fi worked for me. Was in the NZ bleachers. So not sure if that made a difference.
I had zero problems with my Wi-Fi this time AT&T. Folks I was with had Verizon and couple of phone completely locked up. My only complaint I saw was they ran out of water on east side at halftime. There’s really no excuse for that.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:40 pm

It has amazed me for years now that we actually have a business school at our fingertips. When any manager of a 7 eleven could solve most of these problems in about an hour why would we not turn the business school lose on this.

ASUfan6971

Unread post by ASUfan6971 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:42 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:21 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:01 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:46 pm
$5 for a bottled water is just greedy. The Falcons charge $2 while the Panthers allow two 16oz water bottles in per person.
I noticed the A-Z Game Day Info made a point to mention there are water fountains in the stadium. So, bringing in empty bottles is an option. I can only imagine how many half-liter bottles of clear alcohol have been brought in since they've been allowing water bottles.
I don't know if this will apply to games, but that is how they managed the crowd during Fan Fest. We had to walk through the new metal detectors. We had to pour our any beverages, (my Chick Fil A cup and my son's water bottle). However, we were told we could refill the water bottle in the stadium (and that we could bring in empty ones).
I didn't check it out to see if it was a water fountain or a refilling station.
I will probably test it our on Saturday with an empty plastic water bottle.
I paid $5 plus tax at the cash line. Anyone else charged tax?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”