Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Depth chart surprises

AppYosef!
School: Appalachian State

Re: Depth chart surprises

Unread post by AppYosef! » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:01 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:40 am
asucrazy wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:32 am
What kind of injury did Castle sustain, a upper or lower body injury?
He was in a walking boot and had one of those scooter contraptions. So either an ankle or foot maybe?
I asked Castle about it at Fanfest and he just said he broke his foot. He said he stepped on someone else’s foot so he may have rolled it. I had a sprained ankle once and the Dr. told me I would have been better off if I had broken it.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:44 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:00 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:50 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:27 pm
with about 2 weeks to go I’m sure all the dudes who get inside info know who’s the surprises of camp.

Don’t be shy, spill the beans!
I think Scroggs and/or Gentry find their way into starting. Based on practice reports, the offense has been running the ball very well with them in the line-up while others were out.
Gentry could take over at tackle but Scroggs is an inside guy. He isn’t beating out any of the inside guys,
Love the depth and competition! Sounds like we have some big nasties that are getting after it. Of course, Scroggs has the “yosefness” to him that Hodges had, facial hair and flow. Ready to see the Bulls in action.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:58 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:44 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
with about 2 weeks to go I’m sure all the dudes who get inside info know who’s the surprises of camp.

I think Scroggs and/or Gentry find their way into starting. Based on practice reports, the offense has been running the ball very well with them in the line-up while others were out.
Gentry could take over at tackle but Scroggs is an inside guy. He isn’t beating out any of the inside guys,
Love the depth and competition! Sounds like we have some big nasties that are getting after it. Of course, Scroggs has the “yosefness” to him that Hodges had, facial hair and flow. Ready to see the Bulls in action.
If you like nastiness, keep your eyes on Caden Sweatt and Logan Ridolph. Those guys have that Parker Collins attitude.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:59 pm

AppYosef! wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:01 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:40 am
asucrazy wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:32 am
What kind of injury did Castle sustain, a upper or lower body injury?
He was in a walking boot and had one of those scooter contraptions. So either an ankle or foot maybe?
I asked Castle about it at Fanfest and he just said he broke his foot. He said he stepped on someone else’s foot so he may have rolled it. I had a sprained ankle once and the Dr. told me I would have been better off if I had broken it.
I didn’t ask him what he did but it makes sense.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:58 pm
311neers wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:

If you like nastiness, keep your eyes on Caden Sweatt and Logan Ridolph. Those guys have that Parker Collins attitude.
Both are mean but both are raw with footwork. Nobody is going to outwork them (great quality) and Cummings is a master at coaching fundamentals.

I think it may take two years for Sweat to be ready (hopefully I'm wrong).

Ridolph does have a year of college experience so maybe not a full two years for him, but he is still very raw. I don't know him personally, but from what I saw in one of the scrimmages, he made it to Missouri State out of high school based on his nastiness, frame, and potential. My guess is the one year with college coaching really helped with his fundamentals so he entered the portal.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:09 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
311neers wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Both are mean but both are raw with footwork. Nobody is going to outwork them (great quality) and Cummings is a master at coaching fundamentals.

I think it may take two years for Sweat to be ready (hopefully I'm wrong).

Ridolph does have a year of college experience so maybe not a full two years for him, but he is still very raw. I don't know him personally, but from what I saw in one of the scrimmages, he made it to Missouri State out of high school based on his nastiness, frame, and potential. My guess is the one year with college coaching really helped with his fundamentals so he entered the portal.
I agree with you. They aren’t likely solid contributors this year but I know the coaches, particularly Cummings, loves the nastiness in those two. Ridolph was coached in high school by former NFL TE Anthony Becht.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:51 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:55 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:36 pm
appstate77 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:57 am
HIPAA is a law with some serious teeth for violators. Im a Pastor and HIPAA affects my work. Any slip up due to negligence brings a $20k fine and potential prison time.
You all may remember years ago there was a severe outbreak of rhabdomyolysis at U of Iowa one summer. The players were on one floor, and some nurse Hawkeye fans on a different floor accessed the charts for the players. They were caught and immediately fired. As 77 stated, HIPAA has serious teeth and consequences for violators.
Rhabdomyolysis isn't contagious, it's really a symptom of other medical conditions. So how was there an "outbreak" other than perhaps over exertion? Players with sickle cell? What? Way off topic and off the point but that confuses me.
So, maybe "outbreak" was not a proper choice of words. The players were put through a ridiculous workout and a bunch of them were hospitalized with rhabdo. The gist of my post was that the nurses from another floor had no need to view their charts (need to know is part of HIPAA) so they were dismissed.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:35 am

311neers wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:

If he can be half as good as Hodges we will be in good shape there as well. I am really excited about the tackle spots because of the potential there with both of them. There is buzz both of them could get NFL looks and they certainly have the bodies and athletic background that scouts like.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:37 am

AppSt94 wrote:
311neers wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:

Sweatt really looked like it in his high school film so I am very excited about him. I was hoping he would be so good he gets on the field this year. I am hoping that we play about 10 OL every week this year. If we have that kind of depth we will be hard to beat up front with the skill guys we have.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:26 am

I imagine that there will be a rotation of 7-8 guys much like last year. I don’t see them burning the RS on Sweatt unless they have too but I’m don’t doubt that he gets his full 4 games plus the bowl game.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:18 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:26 am
I imagine that there will be a rotation of 7-8 guys much like last year. I don’t see them burning the RS on Sweatt unless they have too but I’m don’t doubt that he gets his full 4 games plus the bowl game.
I really hope we have even more than that. If you just have 7-8 regulars you are 2 injuries away from major issues. My hope is that we have 10 or so.

Here is a dilemma. If Sweatt is so good that he can help us now or Helms goes down would you be willing to burn the redshirt or try to redshirt him no matter what?

Since he was only OL we signed from HS but have so many coming in that will redshirt I lean towards being fine with it but I can see an argument for trying to redshirt either way. I just want the best we got on the field and I don’t care if they are a true freshman or 5th year senior.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:18 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:18 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I really hope we have even more than that. If you just have 7-8 regulars you are 2 injuries away from major issues. My hope is that we have 10 or so.

Here is a dilemma. If Sweatt is so good that he can help us now or Helms goes down would you be willing to burn the redshirt or try to redshirt him no matter what?

Since he was only OL we signed from HS but have so many coming in that will redshirt I lean towards being fine with it but I can see an argument for trying to redshirt either way. I just want the best we got on the field and I don’t care if they are a true freshman or 5th year senior.
My comment and assertion of 7-8 is based on what we used last year. I’m sure that he will play a role if he is one of the 8. I don’t think that he is starter ready so I don’t see him in the top 5. But the pieces are there to move around for need. For instance, If Helms either gets injured or needs to move to a guard slot then Bucky and Scroggs can both snap. If the plan is to R/S Sweatt there are a multitude of OL variations that we can use without burning a RS. Out of the top 7, and I will include Scroggs, you have 6 guys that can play tackle, 5 that can play guard and 3 that can play Center.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:51 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
What is the value in redshirting someone in the free-for-all transfer environment? In the past, it made sense to save someone and develop them but now, if a player is ready to go, play him. Otherwise, you're saving a year of eligibility for another team. The player's mindset is "If I ain't playin, I ain't stayin".

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:54 pm

Appst86 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:51 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
What is the value in redshirting someone in the free-for-all transfer environment? In the past, it made sense to save someone and develop them but now, if a player is ready to go, play him. Otherwise, you're saving a year of eligibility for another team. The player's mindset is "If I ain't playin, I ain't stayin".
Great point! "Smoke 'em if you got 'em" in this new crazy environment.
BLACK SATURDAY

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:16 pm

Appst86 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
In most cases, if they aren't playing as Freshman at App, they aren't bolting to the P5. We kept Kanye around and P5's that missed on him recruiting out of HS supposedly came sniffing around again after his Fr. year. Some kids still want to be developed and bleed black and gold! That's what sets us apart.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:25 pm

Appst86 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
So who do you sit in order to play him? If he is a Center, do you sit Helms? Do you move Helms to guard and then who sits, Daley or Bucky? I suppose you could move either one out to tackle and bench either Samual or Ramsey, but does that move make you a better team?

Red shirting still makes sense. This mentality scenario that you speak of is using a broad brush to paint a very small picture. If a coach is worried about guys leaving because they aren’t playing then he is coaching out of fear. And if he is thinking that a kid might leave because he isn’t playing then why play him at all versus working him into a few games his true freshman year? If there isn’t film for teams to see then he is going to be recruited blind.

You have 85 guys on a roster and only 22 starting spots. That means roughly 75% of your roster “isn’t playing.” If you aren’t willing to learn and wait your turn then does a team really need them?

The portal is what it is. It can take and it can give.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:10 am

There's no reason for a frosh to burn a "RS" unless they are fully ready to play or the depth chart indicates so. Looks like we solidified the O-line so no need to put Sweat into a position to struggle. Also frosh get 4 games before a RS. Of all the positions on the field, O-line is one that needs maturity and growth physically. Not worried about the TP that much anymore. I'm sure a lot of the parents and players are looking at the TP and seeing that 50% don't find a home (especially if they've gone to a college and have no tape on them to be evaluated). There's still something to be said about earning the privilege to get on the field.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:10 am

Totally agree with continuing with red shirts. That 4 game rule is great. You can give young players some game time especially if you are blowing out an opponent early. That is also a double edged sword. There aren't but so many games in a season. If the game is in hand after a quarter the starters still want to play. If a coach takes his foot off the gas in the 3rd quarter and the backups simply run it up the middle that's no fun either. I agree with the coach can't live in fear over the possibility that a good player might bolt.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:42 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:10 am
There's no reason for a frosh to burn a "RS" unless they are fully ready to play or the depth chart indicates so. Looks like we solidified the O-line so no need to put Sweat into a position to struggle. Also frosh get 4 games before a RS. Of all the positions on the field, O-line is one that needs maturity and growth physically. Not worried about the TP that much anymore. I'm sure a lot of the parents and players are looking at the TP and seeing that 50% don't find a home (especially if they've gone to a college and have no tape on them to be evaluated). There's still something to be said about earning the privilege to get on the field.
I believe he can play center as well. I'm not sure who else can slip into that position in the event of an injury.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:46 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:42 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:10 am
I believe he can play center as well. I'm not sure who else can slip into that position in the event of an injury.
Bucky and Scroggs can.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”