Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Early, but let's do it now

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Early, but let's do it now

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed May 31, 2023 8:50 pm

We will be as good as our line plays and everyone limits "mistakes" -penalties , missed assignments and turnovers .September will be difficult .If we can somehow start 3-1 or at least 2-2 ,we could get rolling in October .Hopefully one of the three QBs takes off like ZT did in State College.Again , behind a stout OL .As to wins and losses , it depends on the above and the competition .Anything less than six wins and we are very likely looking at wholesale personnel changes.

teller

Unread post by teller » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:59 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:06 am
huskie3 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:57 am
Be competitive every game.
This. Being competitive in each game is a great indicator of promise, potential, and talent.
We were competitive in most losses last year….

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:13 am

teller wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:59 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:06 am
huskie3 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:57 am
Be competitive every game.
This. Being competitive in each game is a great indicator of promise, potential, and talent.
We were competitive in most losses last year….
Yes we were. Last year was last year though. We are breaking in a new QB, two new OTs and some new pieces to the DL. I expect some growing pains. Being competitive and staying competitive is a good sign of things to come.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:43 am

So how many games in before we start hearing from the "fire the coach" crowd again? IMO, he won the offseason again which quieted things down for now. But I'm already sniffing it in this thread.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:46 am

mike87 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:43 am
So how many games in before we start hearing from the "fire the coach" crowd again? IMO, he won the offseason again which quieted things down for now. But I'm already sniffing it in this thread.
We were up 35 and a older blonde lady who sits toward the top of 206 was screaming, what are you doing? Totally clueless every game. Acts like she knows foosball......sounds like the water boys momma. I hope one day she sees this board!

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:47 am

mike87 wrote:
U/O 3.5 games before the chirping begins

My bet after ECU (depending on how it goes)
Last edited by Appmountaineers19 on Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:04 am

It's going to be an interesting year. The conference as a whole has so many question marks, part of me think it's gonna be a bloodbath.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:09 am

Vegas has our O/U at 6.5 wins. Let's make them feel dumb again and go win 10.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:13 am

311neers wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:09 am
Vegas has our O/U at 6.5 wins. Let's make them feel dumb again and go win 10.
Let’s make them feel real dumb and win 15

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:18 am

mike87 wrote:
If we aren’t up by 35 by half against GW and the backup QB isn’t playing.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:24 am

mike87 wrote:
It does appear Shawn has made the moves we needed with staff and player changes but we don’t know if we won the off-season until we see our performance in the fall. We don’t truly know yet but I am optimistic we are going to be better though.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:26 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:18 am
mike87 wrote:
If we aren’t up by 35 by half against GW and the backup QB isn’t playing.
I don’t the exact margin but for sure if we are just up by 3-7 at the half fans will be unhappy. It is usually a good sign if you are up big early or at least win big against a FCS. If you can’t win with a good margin in that type of game then the odds you win your league or compete for the title at our level are not very good.

KentHogan

Unread post by KentHogan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:47 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:54 am
9-3
10-4
6-6

I'll throw some pepper on this topic. If we go 6-6 or less does Clark keep his job?

As for the OP I think we need to get 8-4 or we are in some doodoo. Losses to UNC, ECU, Marshall, and one more, maybe stink or JMU.
I think Clark is in deep trouble with anything less than a winning season. He’s entering his 4th season, hasn’t won the Sun Belt, and last year was especially bad with a 6-6 record and no bowl eligibility. We would have been 5-7 if not for a Hail Mary miracle.
Things aren’t exactly heading in the right direction. I hope the best for Clark, but I’m not sure you can stick with him if the upcoming season results in a non-winning season.
As for this season, I’ll be disappointed with less than 8 wins, and would strongly prefer at least an appearance in the Sun Belt title game.
Our new QB will matter greatly.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:01 am

I actually don't think "inexperienced QB" is this automatic death knell some of y'all seem to think it is. The days of grooming a young QB for 3-4 years and hoping he thrives by the time he's a junior are long gone. You see freshman QBs excelling all over the country at every level, from national title contenders to that guy in Conway.

Ryan Burger has been in our program for a year and a half. By all accounts, the coaches love him. Absolutely no reason, if their assessment is correct, that he can't play great THIS year.

If it's Aguilar, well, he will have won the job, and he's a juco. That's the whole reason you bring in a juco - because he's game-ready.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the safeties and offensive tackles than I am about QB.

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:17 am

I agree with EastHall on the QB situation nowadays compared to in the past. I'm not worried about Burger or Aguilar. They'll have plenty of weapons in the backfield and WR's to get the ball to along with their added ability to scramble.

The line play on both sides is where we need to see a difference. So many times on third downs last year the Dline was getting no push whatsoever. We have to get more pressure situations in the backfield. The Oline has to get a push as well for Nate and the RB's. The 3rd and 4th down plays near midfield during the Coastal game come to my mind immediately where we got stuffed up the middle. We have to have the ability to extend drives on the short yardage downs without holding our breath and praying. Time and time again if we had less than 3 yrds to go I knew exactly what the play was going to be and it rarely ended up going in our direction. This is where I'm anxious to see the S&C progress along with Ponce calling the plays and how that translates to our success this year.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:32 am

QueencityApp wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:17 am
I agree with EastHall on the QB situation nowadays compared to in the past. I'm not worried about Burger or Aguilar. They'll have plenty of weapons in the backfield and WR's to get the ball to along with their added ability to scramble.

The line play on both sides is where we need to see a difference. So many times on third downs last year the Dline was getting no push whatsoever. We have to get more pressure situations in the backfield. The Oline has to get a push as well for Nate and the RB's. The 3rd and 4th down plays near midfield during the Coastal game come to my mind immediately where we got stuffed up the middle. We have to have the ability to extend drives on the short yardage downs without holding our breath and praying. Time and time again if we had less than 3 yrds to go I knew exactly what the play was going to be and it rarely ended up going in our direction. This is where I'm anxious to see the S&C progress along with Ponce calling the plays and how that translates to our success this year.
I hope it is Ponce and not Clark calling plays. We will know the first 3rd and 2 we get hahaha

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:35 am

Everyone focuses on QB and OL (rightfully so) but we have made A LOT of GOOD moves on the defensive side of the ball. We brought in two game-ready P5 DL, added an ACC OLB (albeit inexperienced), and 4 experienced secondary guys. Funderburk will be solid from Richmond. Trenton Allen Yowe might have the most potential. He is from JUCO but was highly recruited out of high school originally. Idk what exactly got in the way, but he was a 4 star. New but familiar coordinators will make a huge impact also. I think we will win 8 games with losses to UNC, Wyoming, JMU and Marshall.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:13 am

Ponce making the calls on 3rd-4th and short will be the difference
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:29 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:13 am
Ponce making the calls on 3rd-4th and short will be the difference
We were 38% on third down last year.
36% in 2021 with Ponce calling the plays.
51% in 2020 with the guy no one liked.

Maybe the drop off can be attributed to the QB. We shall see.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:36 am

QueencityApp wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:17 am

I'm with you. Based on what I've read of the new DE transfers, I'm cautiously optimistic we'll be improved there. Fingers crossed for the other side of the line. Hopefully the coaching change will make a difference there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”