Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Early, but let's do it now

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: Early, but let's do it now

Unread post by 311neers » Wed May 31, 2023 7:54 am

7-5 minimum (I want to say 8-4, but will give us the inexperienced qb excuse, even though we could have avoided that) and improved coaching from SC.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 31, 2023 7:56 am

How could we have avoided the inexperienced QB?

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:01 am

Beat ECU.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:16 am

Since when does the App State program accept being average and make ourselves feel better by saying the SBC is a strong conference?

App, more than anyone else since 2014 has made this a stronger conference. My goodness spring is a time for optimism, not excuse making.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed May 31, 2023 8:24 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:56 am
Sorry, just saw your message. Transfer Portal.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:33 am

311neers wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:24 am
AppSt94 wrote:
I would equate Joey Aguilar as an equivalent, if not better than anyone that we could have gotten from the portal. He has played two years of college ball with a significantly greater amount of reps than what we could likely get in the portal. Additionally, Ponce recruited Burger as the future guy, so bringing in someone else could likely push him out the door.

I get what your thought process is, but from a different point of view, the lack of portal activity at the QB spot tells me that Ponce and Clark like what they have.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:35 am

311neers wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Just playing devils advocate. How many “experienced” QBs were in the TP and the way the NIL is the chance of landing one would have been slim to none (look how we struggled with OL). Plus the staff feels confident in the players here. If they didn’t they would have picked someone else up after spring ball.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed May 31, 2023 9:13 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:35 am
311neers wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Just playing devils advocate. How many “experienced” QBs were in the TP and the way the NIL is the chance of landing one would have been slim to none (look how we struggled with OL). Plus the staff feels confident in the players here. If they didn’t they would have picked someone else up after spring ball.
Plenty were in the portal- Texas State landed 2 P5 SEC QB transfers. I believe Troy landed a big name as well. I am not saying it was the wrong decision, just saying, we had a chance to go get an experienced one and chose to go with youth and grow Burger or Aguilar. So we can't use "well we have a young QB" as an excuse if we don't have a good year. Shoot, we had an experienced QB last year and went 6-6 (even though it wasn't his fault) so anything can happen.
Last edited by 311neers on Wed May 31, 2023 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed May 31, 2023 9:15 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:33 am
311neers wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
I would equate Joey Aguilar as an equivalent, if not better than anyone that we could have gotten from the portal. He has played two years of college ball with a significantly greater amount of reps than what we could likely get in the portal. Additionally, Ponce recruited Burger as the future guy, so bringing in someone else could likely push him out the door.

I get what your thought process is, but from a different point of view, the lack of portal activity at the QB spot tells me that Ponce and Clark like what they have.
That's great! Excited to see him play, and if he's that good, give him the keys! I agree, they liked what they saw and shut the QB portal down. Here's to hoping they found a stud!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:31 am

311neers wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:13 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:35 am
311neers wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Plenty were in the portal- Texas State landed 2 P5 SEC QB transfers. I believe Troy landed a big name as well. I am not saying it was the wrong decision, just saying, we had a chance to go get an experienced one and chose to go with youth and grow Burger or Aguilar. So we can't use "well we have a young QB" as an excuse if we don't have a good year. Shoot, we had an experienced QB last year and went 6-6 (even though it wasn't his fault) so anything can happen.
I’m not sure you and I agree on what qualifies as “experienced”. I personally don’t get hung up on if they come from a P5 or how many stars they had. Did they play at their last school? If so, how much and how well did they perform? If not, why?

Like I said, Ponce hand picked Burger and wanted Aguilar at Miami but was told no. So he turned Barbay onto him and then Frank got his job back and the guy he wanted.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed May 31, 2023 11:07 am

I am not going to pick an overall season record. I pick us to go 1-0 every week no matter who App. St. is playing and will do this year and every year we have it on the YC board.
We will have young QB and some replacements on the OL. I think our RB room is stacked and WR room will be good as well. If the offense can overcome the amount of defenders at the line daring us to throw, we will be pretty good by end of season on offense. To me, defense is a question mark for several positions. Hopefully the young guys coming up and transfers will be a pleasant surprise. We have had some good recruiting classes by grade,for App. St., over the past 3 years.. hopefully, the S&C program helps them all take next step. Our season will be dependent on several new names having an impact on offense and defense. It should be an interesting season. I hope to see a better product by end of season as compared to beginning of the season.....and hope that means we also are in the running for the conference title game.
And an additional positive would be to own the NC schools we play. I hate EasyU with a passion unlike many others....goes back to my undergrad days at U-Dub.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed May 31, 2023 11:51 am

Last year was a huge disappointment but not altogether unpredicted based on not being able to fill voids through the TP after spring practice. It was pretty clear going into the season that we had issues on the DL and with the DB's, add in the injury factor that always appears and we have a terrible season. We only return 12 starters but I feel very comfortable that we have upgraded significantly on the DL which should lay the foundation for our entire defense. I also think our DBs will be much improved. LBs are the biggest concern to me which is strange to say given that our LBs have been the strength of our defense for many years. If the guys we have can step up, then our entire defense should be very stout. I am less worried about our offensive skill players than I am our Oline. We are very thin in the trenches on offense. We did well in the TP and if one of those guys can step up, we should be just fine, if not then it may be a long year. We simply can't have another 6-6 season. To me, 8-4 is the minimum but I expect 9-3 or better. We honestly should be 4-1 when Coastal comes to town. I expect a victory so 5-1 and then we have ODU and Southern Miss before our Marshall game. So I say 7-1 when Marshall comes to the Rock, we win so 8-1 then it is down to Atlanta for the annual beating of Georgia State 9-1. We next go to JMU and finish with the stink. Now I think we split those last two for a 10-2 season but even if we lose both it is 9-3. So after all that, I am calling for 10-2 with an east title.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed May 31, 2023 12:09 pm

Basically, if we’re 2-2 after game 4 we should be okay going forward. However, anything less and we’re in “trouble”, in theory that is. With that said, 6-6 at worse and 9-3 at best.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 31, 2023 12:15 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:51 am
Last year was a huge disappointment but not altogether unpredicted based on not being able to fill voids through the TP after spring practice. It was pretty clear going into the season that we had issues on the DL and with the DB's, add in the injury factor that always appears and we have a terrible season. We only return 12 starters but I feel very comfortable that we have upgraded significantly on the DL which should lay the foundation for our entire defense. I also think our DBs will be much improved. LBs are the biggest concern to me which is strange to say given that our LBs have been the strength of our defense for many years. If the guys we have can step up, then our entire defense should be very stout. I am less worried about our offensive skill players than I am our Oline. We are very thin in the trenches on offense. We did well in the TP and if one of those guys can step up, we should be just fine, if not then it may be a long year. We simply can't have another 6-6 season. To me, 8-4 is the minimum but I expect 9-3 or better. We honestly should be 4-1 when Coastal comes to town. I expect a victory so 5-1 and then we have ODU and Southern Miss before our Marshall game. So I say 7-1 when Marshall comes to the Rock, we win so 8-1 then it is down to Atlanta for the annual beating of Georgia State 9-1. We next go to JMU and finish with the stink. Now I think we split those last two for a 10-2 season but even if we lose both it is 9-3. So after all that, I am calling for 10-2 with an east title.
Not a bad take at all. This question isn’t addressed to you but in general to all based on your comments. But who amongst our conference foes on our schedule looks unbeatable?

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed May 31, 2023 2:44 pm

30k every home game, staying until the end. Cheering on the team and supporting the coaches, band, and everything Appalachian. This is what we, as fans, can control. When it's all over and done, we'll see what our record says, and proceed accordingly.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 31, 2023 2:54 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:44 pm
30k every home game, staying until the end. Cheering on the team and supporting the coaches, band, and everything Appalachian. This is what we, as fans, can control. When it's all over and done, we'll see what our record says, and proceed accordingly.
Attachments
91E92EDF-2D56-4405-8ADF-C912A42AD530.jpeg
91E92EDF-2D56-4405-8ADF-C912A42AD530.jpeg (21.19 KiB) Viewed 857 times

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Wed May 31, 2023 3:22 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:09 pm
Basically, if we’re 2-2 after game 4 we should be okay going forward. However, anything less and we’re in “trouble”, in theory that is. With that said, 6-6 at worse and 9-3 at best.
I think the ECU and Wyoming games will give us a clear picture of how good we can be (same for our QB). Will have played two games by then and they (ECU and Wyoming) are both winnable games against G5 competition. I feel pretty confident. We will see what happens.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed May 31, 2023 4:03 pm

I think we can and should expect to improve on our record from last year.

Prediction: 8-4 regular season overall. Throw in a little mountain magic we will be in the conference championship hunt.

Other than winning, I wish to see improvement every week in all 3 phases (Offense, Defense, Special Teams) throughout the season. Must see visible improvement or next man up especially during OOC games. I also want to see all ticket holders commit to the team and stay until the end of the game as we only get 6 guaranteed opportunities to watch at the Rock.

Here's the "if" statements for me this year. Do these and we'll be in the hunt for another championship.
if we ball control the offense, win TOP,
If we win turnover margin,
if we win the middle 8 Minutes,
if we demonstrate good clock management during critical points in game,
if we are first to recognize vulnerabilities and make necessary in game adjustments,
if we limit season ending injuries,
If we don't ask the new QBs to do more than they are capable of,
if we leverage our stable of backs,
if we use TEs and slot receivers more for quick easy throws,
If we tweak the offense scheme and add just enough defense wrinkles each week to keep the other teams we are yet to play guessing,
If we play defense fast, gap sound and make sure tackles,
If we dominate our bread and butter (Inside & outside zone),
If we leverage the young QB legs and add the run pass option back with in the offense scheme,
If we kick everything high and deep to limit returns,
If everyone (Fans, Coaches, Staff and Players) understands, accepts their App State Football role and and does their responsibilities consistently to their best ability (Do Your Job).
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Wed May 31, 2023 4:55 pm

appst89 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:17 am
If we have indeed fallen to the point that we can't even realistically talk about winning the division, then it's probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

I think we need, at minimum, 8-4 and a bowl win. Anything less than that might not be good enough.
Exactly. Whether we'll win the SB not idk, but anything less than competing for championships is unacceptable for App imo. Anything other than competing for championships is a failed season.

I get what people are trying to say, and are trying to be positive and supportive, and there are legit reasons like a new QB etc...but the tone of the thread is concerning to me as it's already showing me the slow erosion and lowering of standards for the program. Just being competitive? Showing growth? Come on. That's just a small step away from a participation trophy. Programs don't fall off a cliff into mediocrity, they just steadily keep heading downhill, and people just accept it as it happens.

Having said that, prediction wise I think we are looking at somewhere around 8-4 at best vs a total disaster 2 or 3 win season at worst. I guess that's a way of saying something similar to this season, around .500

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed May 31, 2023 6:20 pm

I think we compete for the championship - with the RBs and WRs I don't think we need an All-Conf type QB - remember the first years of our earlier QBs and they didn't light it up but they did not make many mistakes either - the running ability of the QB will be important. I think some might be undervaluing the OL as well as having Coach Ponce running the offense and calling the plays - Defense will be fine.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”