Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Tampering Article in The Athletic

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Tampering Article in The Athletic

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri May 12, 2023 4:30 pm

There is some enlightening stuff in here.

https://theathletic.com/4512028/2023/05 ... tampering/

goapps93

Re: Tampering Article in The Athletic

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri May 12, 2023 4:57 pm

It was interesting until the gate on the paywall closed.
WE ARE YOSEF!

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Fri May 12, 2023 6:59 pm

Darn pay walls. You'd think one free article would be allowed. Interested in know what G5 was being referenced at beginning If anyone read full article.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sat May 13, 2023 9:10 am

That was a great article and very discouraging at the same time.

The Athletic does have a special deal for d as one thing like $5.99 for a year for any interested.

If this continues G5 and lower P5s will be a joke for competition.

Don’t have answers however based on what they have allowed to happen though.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat May 13, 2023 9:22 am

We all watched the upward progression for App football over the years. We had our share of wins over Wake but honestly for the most part they were a glorified G5 team most years back in the day. I remember going to a game at SC in the 80's. If I recall we played them tough but lost. Those close but no cigar money games were nice but that got tiring. Obviously we "shocked the world " in 2007 and kind of got over the hump after beating the Carolinas a few years back. The A&M win was cool but that shine wore off. It's looking like the good to really solid G5's will have to find magic in a bottle now if they want to beat the big boys. It's gonna be basically a league of about 16 schools who can pay for the best players and the good G5's will have to hope they don't become the feeder schools.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun May 14, 2023 7:37 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:22 am
We all watched the upward progression for App football over the years. We had our share of wins over Wake but honestly for the most part they were a glorified G5 team most years back in the day. I remember going to a game at SC in the 80's. If I recall we played them tough but lost. Those close but no cigar money games were nice but that got tiring. Obviously we "shocked the world " in 2007 and kind of got over the hump after beating the Carolinas a few years back. The A&M win was cool but that shine wore off. It's looking like the good to really solid G5's will have to find magic in a bottle now if they want to beat the big boys. It's gonna be basically a league of about 16 schools who can pay for the best players and the good G5's will have to hope they don't become the feeder schools.
Goodbye college football, it was a good run.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun May 14, 2023 8:27 am

fjblair wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 7:37 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:22 am
Goodbye college football, it was a good run.
One of those wins over Wake knocked them out of the Independence Bowl. They were having a pretty solid year. We also had a game in 1999 when Auburn had to intercept a pass in the end zone to salvage a 22-15 win over App. There have always been the haves and have nots. There always will be. They tried to level the field by lowering the number of scholarships. There was still a gap. Yes, the portal and NIL will widen the gap but I'm not convinced that trend is permanent. There are still only so many opportunities to showcase talent in those elite P5 programs and once these guys realize that too many are transferring up only to kill any NFL hopes, I think the trend might slow down. That's really the only card we have to keep elite players, but it's not exactly a small thing. I have little hope that the NCAA will fix anything, but I do think the market (NFL draft) might be the ultimate control over this crazy roster movement.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun May 14, 2023 9:50 am

I was curious and went through the entire draft. I counted 34 players drafted from non P5 conferences. I included any Cincinnati players with the P5 side. Basically about 15% of the drafted players are non P5. I'd suspect that percentage is roughly the same every season. Is that high enough to use as a selling point for players? I look at a few of these guys and wonder had they left their G5 (or lower) ranked schools and gone to a strong P5 would they have played the same amount? Does Hodges and Hampton play the same amount at Georgia? Extremely doubtful. Do either of them get drafted after being backups or with limited roles? Does the punter from Wingate get drafted? Who knows. Personally I think if more of the better players recruited at solid G5 schools actually stay there we would see the number of drafted players increase each year no matter what the schedules look like.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun May 14, 2023 10:34 am

Interesting article. Seems the P5’s poach as many P5 players as they do G5’s. I love that the Pitt coach calls out those that do this. Staff to perpetually evaluate players for “drafting” is amazing. Still makes me want to slap a suit against The P5’s for racketeering.😡

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun May 14, 2023 11:06 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:34 am
Interesting article. Seems the P5’s poach as many P5 players as they do G5’s. I love that the Pitt coach calls out those that do this. Staff to perpetually evaluate players for “drafting” is amazing. Still makes me want to slap a suit against The P5’s for racketeering.😡
At this moment, basically everything in article such was legal except for “pre-communication” . All of the resources to watch, observe, compiling draft list from the the whole of college football is allowed IF you have the resources. Well as said about 10-20 schools have those resources and they will poach ANY deceit talent from the lower echelon schools.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun May 14, 2023 11:10 am

My suit wouldn’t be about the poaching. The P5 as a group controlling college football

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun May 14, 2023 11:33 am

If we can weather the storm for 3-5 seasons (and I think we will), NIL may become a strength for us.

Only concern within the staff right now is the unknown for conference members NIL power. We have an idea what everyone has, but you never know when a random booster comes forward with even more money.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Sun May 14, 2023 12:40 pm

I’m afraid that college football is becoming like the NFL. Who can assemble the best group of mercenaries every year. Most P5’s will not be able to hang with the top 15 teams.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun May 14, 2023 12:52 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 11:10 am
My suit wouldn’t be about the poaching. The P5 as a group controlling college football
I've been whining about our level not being part of the country club for years. It's a football cartel as far as I'm concerned. Play for conference championsip and the Myrtle Beach Bowl* can we sell that on the recruiting trail...Is that attractive still...Is there a market for that type of recruiting anymore?

The SEC and B1G are on the road to ruining my small way of enjoying college football the last 40 years.
Last edited by Black Saturday on Mon May 15, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLACK SATURDAY

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun May 14, 2023 2:51 pm

There are , perhaps , some conversations regarding "what comes after the NCAA", on going among our Conference mates.Haven't been able to second source it , but I don't doubt it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”