Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another Portal Loss and Portal Discussion

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Another Portal Loss

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:37 am

The Rock wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:20 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:30 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:00 pm
hapapp wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:57 pm

I would imagine NIL played a role.
We have to stop using that term. This is not NIL. NIL is getting paid for your name, image, likeness and you don't have a guaranteed amount because revenue for it can vary. He is being offered guaranteed money simply for his services on the field and nothing to do with his names or for marketing. These teams just want to upgrade the starting lineup or depth and they are willing to give out guaranteed money for it.
Everyone knew what was coming with it, and there is a reason why I was opposed to it. College Football should be an unpaid internship. Their payment is their education. Only way it would work ethically. That ship has sailed
100%. I was against it as well but the rules have changed and Shawn better adapt or he will die. The only way to survive is do to other G5, FCS, and D2 what is going to be done to us by P5s.
How can he adapt? He fully understands what is going on but the only thing he can do is offer as much money, but where is that coming from? Its not that Clark isn't adapting, its trying to squeeze more blood from the stone that was pretty dry already
Bingo. As much as some in this crowd hate it, money makes the world go round and we need more of it. We need it to grow the athletic department as a whole, compete with NIL, and to hopefully remove the burden from the students through fees. But we keep going back to the same ole wells time and again.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:55 am

I'm in the minority but I have no problem sending some of my donation to fund the NIL. APP will have to use it going forward.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:00 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:50 pm
Does anyone have any context on the reason for McLeod's decision? I understand that a new Defensive Coaching staff this year so some of it may be a byproduct of gaining alignment from the entire defensive players that this is how we are going to run the defense this year. Maybe that is part of issue, maybe something totally different.
We have to stop using that term. This is not NIL. NIL is getting paid for your name, image, likeness and you don't have a guaranteed amount because revenue for it can vary. He is being offered guaranteed money simply for his services on the field and nothing to do with his names or for marketing. These teams just want to upgrade the starting lineup or depth and they are willing to give out guaranteed money for it.
We are witnessing the beginning of the end of legitimate college football. It's going to be very hard for teams like ASU to build teams because once we recruit and develop a player who has some shine, he's taking the money and running. It is soul crushing.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:12 am

fjblair wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:00 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Does anyone have any context on the reason for McLeod's decision? I understand that a new Defensive Coaching staff this year so some of it may be a byproduct of gaining alignment from the entire defensive players that this is how we are going to run the defense this year. Maybe that is part of issue, maybe something totally different.
We are witnessing the beginning of the end of legitimate college football. It's going to be very hard for teams like ASU to build teams because once we recruit and develop a player who has some shine, he's taking the money and running. It is soul crushing.
It is absolutely soul crushing for us and there is no way we can compete. USC just took a very promising defensive lineman from Georgia because they offered him more money. When it's a bidding war at the top, there is no chance for those of us further down the line to survive this.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:13 am

The good G5 programs are basically going to now be the minor/developmental league for the big P5's. We will land that in between guy who comes to App, puts on some muscle and have a good year then will bolt for some quick cash even if it means a backup role. Hard to blame a kid for wanting to get paid but it's going to stink either way.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:18 am

I promise if I win the $1B+ lottery to move to Boone and be able to set some NIL stuff up. Delusions of Grandeur are fun.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:22 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:13 am
The good G5 programs are basically going to now be the minor/developmental league for the big P5's. We will land that in between guy who comes to App, puts on some muscle and have a good year then will bolt for some quick cash even if it means a backup role. Hard to blame a kid for wanting to get paid but it's going to stink either way.
Yup. G5=G-League

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:25 am

fjblair wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:00 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
It does stink but all G5 schools are dealing with this so it is not like we are the only one. It is not an excuse if we end up 7-5 or worse again. Im not optimistic for the G5 level in general for sure.

I do agree this is the beginning of the end of college football as we know it. Just a matter of time. I wonder if we are going to be the developmental leagues for the P5s essentially.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:26 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:55 am
I'm in the minority but I have no problem sending some of my donation to fund the NIL. APP will have to use it going forward.
It’s your money and your decision. I’m not sure that solves any of the issues. If every YC member split their donation in half, as an example, sure it creates a $3M coffer for NIL but also depletes the money available for scholarships by the same which has to be picked up somewhere.

Football and to a lesser extent basketball, drive the majority of the emotions around this issue as it pertains to App. The bottom line is there needs to be more money. Both for the AD and NIL.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:01 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:13 am
We need to sell ourselves as that team for kids to come play/start for a year or two and then make that big time jump. Similar to how our coaching carousel has been for the last 10 years. Sell our player development, winning tradition and culture to some of the stud backups on big time rosters. Only problem is, some of those P5 backups are making more being 2nd and 3rd string than they would starting at App. Definitely a tough situation to be in.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:50 am

appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Everyone knew what was coming with it, and there is a reason why I was opposed to it. College Football should be an unpaid internship. Their payment is their education. Only way it would work ethically. That ship has sailed
I would be fine with this if we capped coaches/administrators contracts at $200k/yr

How can we justify paying the players nothing but coaches $5 or $10MM ?

Doesn’t really make sense to me.

Sucks that we’re on the losing end. Maybe we can get a hedge fund manager who wants to break into coaching to come here.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:51 am

The only way stuff like this cools down is if the G5 studs getting NIL to leave their school end up sitting and cost themselves a shot at the NFL. I don't think that will happen with Jalen as I expect he starts wherever he goes, but it will happen with others. Once that trend happens enough, things will calm down. It won't go away, but hopefully in 5 years or so (when there is a large sample to evaluate) it will slow.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:54 am

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:51 am
The only way stuff like this cools down is if the G5 studs getting NIL to leave their school end up sitting and cost themselves a shot at the NFL. I don't think that will happen with Jalen as I expect he starts wherever he goes, but it will happen with others. Once that trend happens enough, things will calm down. It won't go away, but hopefully in 5 years or so (when there is a large sample to evaluate) it will slow.
So did the kid that left JMU for Texas last year. I’m not rooting for failure for anyone, but the grass isn’t always greener.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:58 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:33 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:23 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:15 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:17 pm
And so the NIL killing the development of G5 players begins.

Some of you wanted this, congrats.
I think all of this will pretty much even out - do we feel bad that we grabbed a Fr. AA WR or that 2 of our starting OL are from FCS? No --- do we want to reject the DEs from Michigan St and Rutgers? No
At worst, we have time to fill McLeod's spot unlike losing Harrington in the first half of the first game.
The big difference is we aren't going out and contacting players through back channels to talk them into leaving and offering money if they do.
I would hope not - however that has been happening (of course not to this degree) long before NIL
I would seriously doubt that someone hasn't made us aware of what might happen with certain guys
Let’s not be naive. And while it happened previously we’ve made it a lot easier now.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:01 am

Also to pretend the answer is more money for us is a farce. When it comes to NIL that is an uphill battle with no top.

The power schools wrapped up a shit sandwich in roses and said they were doing this for the student athlete. Everyone went along with no regulations in place.

When those that are losing power get to make the rules guess who will win.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:02 am

Just hope we can keep our RB during the spring/summer. Maybe it was smart that he didn't get a chance to showcase his talent last year. Kept the future tampering/free agency to a minimum as others school didnt get to see him play. Smart play by SC.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:18 am

311neers wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:02 am
Just hope we can keep our RB during the spring/summer. Maybe it was smart that he didn't get a chance to showcase his talent last year. Kept the future tampering/free agency to a minimum so others school didnt see him. Smart play by SC.
I don’t think that Clark is making decisions on reps and pt on the need to hide talent. You play the guys that earn the reps.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:21 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:37 am
The Rock wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:20 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:30 pm
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

100%. I was against it as well but the rules have changed and Shawn better adapt or he will die. The only way to survive is do to other G5, FCS, and D2 what is going to be done to us by P5s.
How can he adapt? He fully understands what is going on but the only thing he can do is offer as much money, but where is that coming from? Its not that Clark isn't adapting, its trying to squeeze more blood from the stone that was pretty dry already
Bingo. As much as some in this crowd hate it, money makes the world go round and we need more of it. We need it to grow the athletic department as a whole, compete with NIL, and to hopefully remove the burden from the students through fees. But we keep going back to the same ole wells time and again.
Many players will take the P5 offer regardless of money so I don't think it is just simply more money for us but where is the additional money gonna come from? I can't do it. Can you give another 10K a year? We don't have a law school, med school, or a bunch of rich alumni. We have a few big money alumni but most of them just want to give money to get their name on buildings instead of using it to keep or sign players.

We just have to accept what it is because we will never have the money to prevent players from being poached. We have to hope our players are love App and stay. The hypocrisy by those complaining is that they all would have taken the very offer that Jalen is getting and transferred as well if they had that chance. I don't blame these players one bit.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:38 am

We are either going to have to be happy competing in and wining the belt or be unhappy. The big boys aren’t going to allow us to threaten their programs.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:48 am

The end of college football "as we know it" - I guess one would have to define his/her definition of "as we know it" - College football will continue to be college football
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”