Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another Portal Loss and Portal Discussion

Wally
School: Appalachian State

Re: Another Portal Loss

Unread post by Wally » Wed May 03, 2023 7:26 am

We are not dealing with NIL here (which I totally support). A guy should be able to profit from his name in a video game or on YouTube, whatever. This is pay for play and the inequity is staggering. It will probably take legislation to undo the mess the NCAA created.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 03, 2023 7:41 am

I'm amazed at the anger at these athletes having a freer job market like the vast majority of citizen get to have. Y'all bought in hook line and sinker to the bs farce that was amateurism originally created by rich people to not have to pay college athletes so schools could freely profit on their work. There is nothing wrong with NIL. Everyone else has rights to their name, image, and likeness, so should these adults. I can understand your anger at being left behind on resource access but that is how the free market works. Some have greater access than others. We just happen to go to a regional school versus one with a larger footprint. It seems like y'all are more worried about having a good team that brings you personal entertainment and the school money than you are about what's right and just for these adult students. Bolting for 10k more? And your scoffing at that idea? Gtfo. There are tens of millions of adults that would bolt their current job if another was offered for 10k more a year. Ridiculous elitist views. I want all of y'all complaining to go into a meeting with these adults and say the same things to them that you say on here. Tell them they are dumb for leaving if it's only 10k more. Tell them they are making dumb choices. Tell them they don't know how to handle their lives. Tell them they are there to entertain you and bring the school money and they should be happy to do so. Man, some of y'all are unreal. I also doubt many of you will ever be convinced otherwise and that's a shame. Oh well. Carry on with your crying. The world will adjust and move on like always.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 03, 2023 7:44 am

What type of legislation is going to control this? We are a free market economy. Unless something is happening that is in violation of the RICO Act, I don’t know what can be done.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed May 03, 2023 7:47 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:44 am
What type of legislation is going to control this? We are a free market economy. Unless something is happening that is in violation of the RICO Act, I don’t know what can be done.
Easiest fix would be Congress granting NCAA an antitrust exception. That would be the only way (that I can think of) that the NCAA could have teeth again. But I doubt there is much interest in that idea on Capital Hill currently.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed May 03, 2023 7:51 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:41 am
I'm amazed at the anger at these athletes having a freer job market like the vast majority of citizen get to have. Y'all bought in hook line and sinker to the bs farce that was amateurism originally created by rich people to not have to pay college athletes so schools could freely profit on their work. There is nothing wrong with NIL. Everyone else has rights to their name, image, and likeness, so should these adults. I can understand your anger at being left behind on resource access but that is how the free market works. Some have greater access than others. We just happen to go to a regional school versus one with a larger footprint. It seems like y'all are more worried about having a good team that brings you personal entertainment and the school money than you are about what's right and just for these adult students. Bolting for 10k more? And your scoffing at that idea? Gtfo. There are tens of millions of adults that would bolt their current job if another was offered for 10k more a year. Ridiculous elitist views. I want all of y'all complaining to go into a meeting with these adults and say the same things to them that you say on here. Tell them they are dumb for leaving if it's only 10k more. Tell them they are making dumb choices. Tell them they don't know how to handle their lives. Tell them they are there to entertain you and bring the school money and they should be happy to do so. Man, some of y'all are unreal. I also doubt many of you will ever be convinced otherwise and that's a shame. Oh well. Carry on with your crying. The world will adjust and move on like always.
You seem really angry.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 03, 2023 7:58 am

appst89 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:51 am
appdaze wrote:
You seem really angry.
Not really. Just tired of seeing people cry about these athletes getting opportunities like everyone else and watching those same people try to think about ways to limit these athletes abilities to make money just so they have better personal entertainment. So in other words I'm an advocate for these athletes against those that would try to take away what they should rightfully have. I'm more disappointed in my fellow Apps who seem to care more about having a good product that entertains them instead of what is best and right for our student athletes.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:19 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:58 am
appst89 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
You seem really angry.
Not really. Just tired of seeing people cry about these athletes getting opportunities like everyone else and watching those same people try to think about ways to limit these athletes abilities to make money just so they have better personal entertainment. So in other words I'm an advocate for these athletes against those that would try to take away what they should rightfully have. I'm more disappointed in my fellow Apps who seem to care more about having a good product that entertains them instead of what is best and right for our student athletes.
Auctioning them to the highest bidder like cattle may not be in their best interest. I'm 100% in favor of NIL. I'm 100% opposed to pay-for-play, but that train has left the station. Eventually, there will be some sort of order brought to the Wild West that we have right now. By the time that order is achieved there will be a lot of carcasses left in the dust of schools who lack the ability to participate in the cattle market, and we're very likely to be one of them. Ultimately, I think it's likely that schools like us end up with no athletic program at all, so we won't have to worry about student athletes.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:24 am

appdaze wrote:
appst89 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
You seem really angry.
It’s not about denying the kid(s). It’s the lawlessness to which the mechanism is allowed to operate. Social media has created an enormous opportunity for people to make money. Everyone has a valuation number based off following. Chase Brice’s sister makes a good living off of her social media. But let’s be honest, if the Auburn collective sat up a table at the local mall for a Jaylen McLeod autograph session, how much would you pay for Jaylen McLeod’s autograph? How much would you have paid Armanti for his autograph? My point is that I don’t have a problem with these kids making money off their NIL, but there seems to be an over valuation for these kids.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 03, 2023 8:31 am

Lawlessness? What laws have been broken? As far as valuation goes that will be decided by the free market like the salaries are for the rest of the workforce. If one school or NIL offer values an athlete at a certain level then so be it. Who are we to tell these adults they are less valuable than the money they are getting?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 03, 2023 8:37 am

appst89 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:19 am
appdaze wrote:
appst89 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
You seem really angry.
Auctioning them to the highest bidder like cattle may not be in their best interest. I'm 100% in favor of NIL. I'm 100% opposed to pay-for-play, but that train has left the station. Eventually, there will be some sort of order brought to the Wild West that we have right now. By the time that order is achieved there will be a lot of carcasses left in the dust of schools who lack the ability to participate in the cattle market, and we're very likely to be one of them. Ultimately, I think it's likely that schools like us end up with no athletic program at all, so we won't have to worry about student athletes.
Please show me where the auction house is? You can't because this isn't an auction. It's people with money making offers to these athletes to play at certain schools. Notice it's to the athletes. Not an owner. This is not a slave auction. I'm 100% ok with athletes getting paid like all their peers get for the jobs they work and all the other adults in America for the jobs they work. This was inevitable from the inception of the farce of amateurism. The other issue is the attachment of athletics to schools. Almost no one else in the world does that but us. Club sports and semi pro leagues are what 16+ teens get into so that their school is about academics.

As far as schools losing athletics, there are hundreds that need to ditch them anyway as they can't properly afford them as is. App is on the edge. We could go either way in the long run. It really depends on how we can develop our non football sports, what alumni are willing to support, and making us a national brand instead of a regional brand that gets a shot at a big school once in a while.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Wed May 03, 2023 8:41 am

NIL has been going on forever especially with the big schools. It was “Pay to play” under the table. Now it’s all public knowledge (especially with social media).

“Immediate Eligibility” has contributed a lot to encouraging athletes to “jump ship”.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:50 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:31 am
Lawlessness? What laws have been broken? As far as valuation goes that will be decided by the free market like the salaries are for the rest of the workforce. If one school or NIL offer values an athlete at a certain level then so be it. Who are we to tell these adults they are less valuable than the money they are getting?
Whoa! Ease up there Trigger. It’s a turn of phrase in regards to the lack of regulation and oversight to the process. Clearly, you read my comments with fire in your eyes because my remarks were toward the system and not the player. Yes, you are correct, it is a free market system and yes, if a collective representing school A thinks that player X is worth $30k and the collective at school B feels he is worth $120k, then there isn’t much to decide upon.

But there are rules in regards to tampering and collusion regarding players receiving monetary offers and transfer opportunities from suitors prior to entering free agency. It happens and I have the evidence to support it.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:58 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:37 am
appst89 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:19 am
appdaze wrote:
appst89 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
You seem really angry.
Please show me where the auction house is? You can't because this isn't an auction. It's people with money making offers to these athletes to play at certain schools. Notice it's to the athletes. Not an owner. This is not a slave auction. I'm 100% ok with athletes getting paid like all their peers get for the jobs they work and all the other adults in America for the jobs they work. This was inevitable from the inception of the farce of amateurism. The other issue is the attachment of athletics to schools. Almost no one else in the world does that but us. Club sports and semi pro leagues are what 16+ teens get into so that their school is about academics.

As far as schools losing athletics, there are hundreds that need to ditch them anyway as they can't properly afford them as is. App is on the edge. We could go either way in the long run. It really depends on how we can develop our non football sports, what alumni are willing to support, and making us a national brand instead of a regional brand that gets a shot at a big school once in a while.
The auction house is the transfer portal. It's very much an auction.

Blow the whole thing up. At this point, I am fine with there being no affiliation between a school and athletics. There will be a lot more losers than winners, but this is what they wanted. Let them live with what they created.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed May 03, 2023 9:09 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:48 am
What I hate about NIL (among other things) is that it puts some young people in difficult situations. Some of these young people who don't have much money will make a dumb decision and switch schools for probably a small amount of money relatively speaking. How much is he actually getting? If he genuinely has a chance to play and that can springboard him to the NFL then good luck. If he's bolting for $10k or so and will remain a backup and doesn't do well academically then good luck as well. I really hate that now coaches have to coddle the stars for fear that they will leave.
Not only does he have a great shot at the NFL (and is going to be able to showcase it more at Auburn) he is also making 6 figures to play his final season against the best of the best in college. And from what I heard, that 6 figures doesn't start with a 1 or 2....
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Wed May 03, 2023 9:10 am

My only glimmer of hope is that with a guaranteed upfront income (no clue what the requirements are to actually receive that money besides remain on the team), they won't have as much fire to compete. We beat Michigan with FCS players. Granted, we had a championship FCS team, but we still had FCS players. There are still players out there that will run through a brick wall to prove themselves. Will they get poached from now on after one season? Probably, but we can still catch lightening in a bottle I hope, and I hope we can catch lightening in a bottle just long enough for them to put some sort of regulation on this before we become completely irrelevant. If I'm being honest, the whole thing just makes me more sad than anything else. I'm all for these players getting paid, but App State won't be App State (to me, personally) without a powerhouse football team. It's all we've known. There was a different feeling at games in the 2011-2014 era when we were just a very average football team. I don't want to go back to that.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 03, 2023 9:16 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:50 am
appdaze wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:31 am
Whoa! Ease up there Trigger. It’s a turn of phrase in regards to the lack of regulation and oversight to the process. Clearly, you read my comments with fire in your eyes because my remarks were toward the system and not the player. Yes, you are correct, it is a free market system and yes, if a collective representing school A thinks that player X is worth $30k and the collective at school B feels he is worth $120k, then there isn’t much to decide upon.

But there are rules in regards to tampering and collusion regarding players receiving monetary offers and transfer opportunities from suitors prior to entering free agency. It happens and I have the evidence to support it.
You should probably turn that evidence in so the parties can be properly punished. No fire in my eyes. The lack of regulation and oversight is because we are in a transition point between the farce of American and players signing with agents and create contracts or representing themselves. Eventually the system will get to a place where it falls under the same contract laws that pro sports have which will bring in the regulation that is desired including stricter tampering rules etc...

ASUTed

Unread post by ASUTed » Wed May 03, 2023 9:31 am

appdaze wrote:
This absolutely nails it, free market for the players. They no longer have to sit by while the schools take in millions on their backs. I hate losing Jalen but good for him. IF you really care about the players this is a good thing for them. Period.

Wally

Unread post by Wally » Wed May 03, 2023 9:45 am

appdaze wrote:
I still look at college athletics as amateurism, these kids are there to develop their body and skills and learn to become a professional athlete. No real difference from the rest of the university and all of the majors offered. If you are ready to skip college and go straight to the pros (or whatever your professional career will be), then so be it.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed May 03, 2023 9:54 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:09 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:48 am
What I hate about NIL (among other things) is that it puts some young people in difficult situations. Some of these young people who don't have much money will make a dumb decision and switch schools for probably a small amount of money relatively speaking. How much is he actually getting? If he genuinely has a chance to play and that can springboard him to the NFL then good luck. If he's bolting for $10k or so and will remain a backup and doesn't do well academically then good luck as well. I really hate that now coaches have to coddle the stars for fear that they will leave.
Not only does he have a great shot at the NFL (and is going to be able to showcase it more at Auburn) he is also making 6 figures to play his final season against the best of the best in college. And from what I heard, that 6 figures doesn't start with a 1 or 2....
100% hit it on the head. Some of the decisions are brilliant. This is the big bad SEC...some backups get a couple hundred grand per year. Props to McLeod for being confident in himself and knowing he can play at a higher level. Hope he makes it big and then donates some of that money back to App!!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 03, 2023 9:54 am

Wally wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:45 am
appdaze wrote:
I still look at college athletics as amateurism, these kids are there to develop their body and skills and learn to become a professional athlete. No real difference from the rest of the university and all of the majors offered. If you are ready to skip college and go straight to the pros (or whatever your professional career will be), then so be it.
They aren't kids. They are adults. Football isn't a major. The other students aren't getting used to make millions of dollars off the farce of amateurism. But I'm just gonna stop there because if after all that has happened you still see things that way then there is nothing that will change your mind.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”