Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another Portal Loss and Portal Discussion

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Another Portal Loss

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 24, 2023 11:48 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:09 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:06 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:46 am
Can someone start a thread on Portal Gains, if we have any, I'd really like to see some positive news.
Thomas Davis - Edge from Miami
Thornton Gentry - O Tackle from NC State
EJ Jackson - DB from Marshall
Jack Murphy - O Tackle from Marshall
Maquel Haywood - RB from Navy (had a great spring)
Tyrek Funderburk - DB from Richmond (was recruited heavily by Coach West at Richmond. Had a great spring)
Christian Ford - WR from Miss State
Michael Fletcher - Edge from Michigan State (had a great spring)
Makai Jackson - WR from Saint Francis (FCS Freshman All American)
Shawn Collins - Edge from Rutgers
Jarrett Paul - Safety from Kansas
How many of these will start this year? My guess would be 4 or 5 at least.
Starter is just a term for first one on the field. As a true #1, my feeling is that Funderburke is the only one that fits that mold after Spring. Fletcher and Collins are likely to get significant time, as well as Jackson at WR.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 24, 2023 8:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:48 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:09 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:06 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:46 am
Can someone start a thread on Portal Gains, if we have any, I'd really like to see some positive news.
Tyrek Funderburk - DB from Richmond (was recruited heavily by Coach West at Richmond. Had a great spring)
How many of these will start this year? My guess would be 4 or 5 at least.
Starter is just a term for first one on the field. As a true #1, my feeling is that Funderburke is the only one that fits that mold after Spring. Fletcher and Collins are likely to get significant time, as well as Jackson at WR.
I saw the projected spring depth chart but I am hopeful more start by mid-season. Fletcher and Collins were among those I had in mind. Jackson should get on the field for sure. Tyrek is actually going to get NFL looks. He had a good season last year.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed May 24, 2023 8:29 pm

Coaches seem to be very high of Fletcher. I have heard them continuously praise him.

GO APPS!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu May 25, 2023 10:21 am

appstate24 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:29 pm
Coaches seem to be very high of Fletcher. I have heard them continuously praise him.

GO APPS!!
Big Mike will see a lot of playing time.

If he can learn the scheme and realize this scheme is more about doing your job and trusting others to do theirs as well (all schemes are that way, but this one is more than others), he will be an all conference player.

As a DE in this system, your main role may not be just to pass rush/run stop. Your role could be contain, take away a pitch, coverage against motion, take a double team, jam the middle, etc. Every scheme has those nuances, but this scheme is more so -- which is why it took a few years to implement under Woody.

I'd wager Big Mike will be in the field a lot early in the season during situations where has the green light to just rush the passer and not have to worry about anything else. As he matures in the system, you'll see his role expand and likely break in to the starting role.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Rollneers30

Unread post by Rollneers30 » Thu May 25, 2023 8:39 pm

Can add two to the portal gain list. Griffin Scroggs, OL from Georgia. Rated as 3 star guy out of high school. Has 4 years of eligibility remaining. His brother Jack Scroggs, LB from Wofford, grad transfer.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri May 26, 2023 7:36 am

I just scrolled through the current roster and if I counted correctly we have 24 players listed who transferred in. There might be 6 or so listed above not yet added. That would have us close to 30 next season who didn't sign here as freshmen. Kind of crazy but free agency is probably here to stay.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri May 26, 2023 7:41 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:36 am
I just scrolled through the current roster and if I counted correctly we have 24 players listed who transferred in. There might be 6 or so listed above not yet added. That would have us close to 30 next season who didn't sign here as freshmen. Kind of crazy but free agency is probably here to stay.
The list above was just this year's confirmed transfers at that time...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:03 pm

A good article on player tampering. At some point this has to be fixed. It will take some big time coaches and programs to get burnt to make it happen. I know this article is behind a paywall but if you can read it you should.

You can see the pressure building so at some point something has to give. CFB is not sustainable on this track, IMO.

If anyone wants an obvious confirmation with any of our players the statement was made, "players inform coaches they're entering the portal one day and announce a destination the next". From these coaches' statements it becomes clear what happened.

https://theathletic.com/4569533/2023/06 ... tampering/

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:00 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:03 pm
A good article on player tampering. At some point this has to be fixed. It will take some big time coaches and programs to get burnt to make it happen. I know this article is behind a paywall but if you can read it you should.

You can see the pressure building so at some point something has to give. CFB is not sustainable on this track, IMO.

If anyone wants an obvious confirmation with any of our players the statement was made, "players inform coaches they're entering the portal one day and announce a destination the next". From these coaches' statements it becomes clear what happened.

Player’s parents and high school coaches shoulder some of the blame for this. Johnny Sr. is dissatisfied with JR’s playing time or demotion and starts talking to folks that can help find his kid a new home where he can become the “All-American” that pops thinks he deserves. High school coaches using back channel connections to put out feelers. It’s shady stuff that I don’t know how a competent governing body can control. Much less the NCAA.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:26 pm

Every time I see this thread has a new post, I get scared :lol: :lol:

GO APPS!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:17 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:00 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

Player’s parents and high school coaches shoulder some of the blame for this. Johnny Sr. is dissatisfied with JR’s playing time or demotion and starts talking to folks that can help find his kid a new home where he can become the “All-American” that pops thinks he deserves. High school coaches using back channel connections to put out feelers. It’s shady stuff that I don’t know how a competent governing body can control. Much less the NCAA.
That was one of the points made in the article (by Kirby Smart) that players were a part of the problem instigating back room conversations.

asueddie

Unread post by asueddie » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:31 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:26 pm

GO APPS!!
Too funny. Same here!

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:23 am

asueddie wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:31 pm
appstate24 wrote:

GO APPS!!
Too funny. Same here!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the portal is closed for the time being at least so nothing else to worry about for now!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:30 am

NeersBy90 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:23 am
asueddie wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:31 pm
appstate24 wrote:

GO APPS!!
Too funny. Same here!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the portal is closed for the time being at least so nothing else to worry about for now!
Correct. It is closed to all but Grad Transfers I believe.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:55 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:17 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

That was one of the points made in the article (by Kirby Smart) that players were a part of the problem instigating back room conversations.
They need to look at having contracts. It’s a profession now. The university can’t be completely invested in a player who can simply do whatever he wants to do. Everybody needs skin in the game.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:17 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:55 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

They need to look at having contracts. It’s a profession now. The university can’t be completely invested in a player who can simply do whatever he wants to do. Everybody needs skin in the game.
They do have contracts, that is what a national letter of intent is. The issue is that now they are allowed, by rule, to break their contract and immediately be eligible to play anywhere else the first time they break their contract. The schools have always been able to do this as the scholarships are only for 1 year. The new twist is that now if a school picks up a kid from the transfer portal, the school is on the hook until that player exhaust eligibility, graduates, or leaves the program on his/her own (whichever comes first). So yeah, there are contracts but they are pretty useless, except the new one that ties the school to the transfer portal kid.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:56 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:17 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

They do have contracts, that is what a national letter of intent is. The issue is that now they are allowed, by rule, to break their contract and immediately be eligible to play anywhere else the first time they break their contract. The schools have always been able to do this as the scholarships are only for 1 year. The new twist is that now if a school picks up a kid from the transfer portal, the school is on the hook until that player exhaust eligibility, graduates, or leaves the program on his/her own (whichever comes first). So yeah, there are contracts but they are pretty useless, except the new one that ties the school to the transfer portal kid.
Non-binding contracts are useless. I think you have a point here that at one point the school had all the advantage, now it is flipped on its head.

Maybe, following your logic, IF a school offered a multi-year contract (schlolarship) that the player signed then both parties are bound for the length of the contract. That would provide both parties with some protection for the duration. If a school makes an investment in a raw talent and develops that talent, they should have some reasonable expectation of reaping some benefits for the duration of the scholarship. The player must also be locked into that contract as they are getting the benefit of that investment in their career. There could be some "reasonable" out clauses in extreme circumstances.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:16 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:56 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Non-binding contracts are useless. I think you have a point here that at one point the school had all the advantage, now it is flipped on its head.

Maybe, following your logic, IF a school offered a multi-year contract (schlolarship) that the player signed then both parties are bound for the length of the contract. That would provide both parties with some protection for the duration. If a school makes an investment in a raw talent and develops that talent, they should have some reasonable expectation of reaping some benefits for the duration of the scholarship. The player must also be locked into that contract as they are getting the benefit of that investment in their career. There could be some "reasonable" out clauses in extreme circumstances.
The NFL realized that it would be impossible to build a competitive situation if unlimited money could be spent and if players could simply switch teams at will. I think some of the things the NFL does could be incorporated into the situation. For instance, when a player gets traded in the NFL the team tradings him away gets compensated in some way. So let’s say App recruits a guy and he plays at App for 2 years and gets poached via the portal by Auburn. Auburn would owe App an amount equivalent to half of said player’s NIL money per year. App invested in that player for half of his eligible playing time. If he only played at App for a year the amount owed would be 25%. The NCAA also needs to find some way to limit the total amount any one team can spend on NIL money per season.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:31 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:16 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

The NFL realized that it would be impossible to build a competitive situation if unlimited money could be spent and if players could simply switch teams at will. I think some of the things the NFL does could be incorporated into the situation. For instance, when a player gets traded in the NFL the team tradings him away gets compensated in some way. So let’s say App recruits a guy and he plays at App for 2 years and gets poached via the portal by Auburn. Auburn would owe App an amount equivalent to half of said player’s NIL money per year. App invested in that player for half of his eligible playing time. If he only played at App for a year the amount owed would be 25%. The NCAA also needs to find some way to limit the total amount any one team can spend on NIL money per season.
Like this in theory, but Auburn (in your example) isn't fronting the NIL money. It is people, businesses outside of university. Also, this would have to go both ways. Do we now owe Auburn if kid comes to App and the kid gets NIL money. Realize NIL money at App would be much less...but App would owe Auburn for a portion of NIL money the kid earned at App. We do not have funding to do that.
Although not popular I know and I do not like this as I am a free market economic guy in most situations, is the only possible deterrent now to not allow instant eligibility upon transfer (you have to sit a year). ..If not this, what other policies could be put in place to look limit free agency? Not sure there is or do I want to...This is tough as I know the kids work hard and deserve the compensation for their services. Maybe the only idea is that we need more NIL money flowing at App to limit the transfers out. We will never compete with NIL money at SEC. However, maybe we have players think twice if they were getting more from businesses for App related NIL.
From personal standpoint, hated to see 35 go to Auburn. However, he is getting paid for his services at a rate that App (or App NIL related) could not pay. So, glad he gets paid. The emotions go both ways.
And no, in today's world tte scholarship is not enough as the kid gets a scholarship at the new school just like at App.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:39 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:31 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:16 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Like this in theory, but Auburn (in your example) isn't fronting the NIL money. It is people, businesses outside of university. Also, this would have to go both ways. Do we now owe Auburn if kid comes to App and the kid gets NIL money. Realize NIL money at App would be much less...but App would owe Auburn for a portion of NIL money the kid earned at App. We do not have funding to do that.
Although not popular I know and I do not like this as I am a free market economic guy in most situations, is the only possible deterrent now to not allow instant eligibility upon transfer (you have to sit a year). ..If not this, what other policies could be put in place to look limit free agency? Not sure there is or do I want to...This is tough as I know the kids work hard and deserve the compensation for their services. Maybe the only idea is that we need more NIL money flowing at App to limit the transfers out. We will never compete with NIL money at SEC. However, maybe we have players think twice if they were getting more from businesses for App related NIL.
From personal standpoint, hated to see 35 go to Auburn. However, he is getting paid for his services at a rate that App (or App NIL related) could not pay. So, glad he gets paid. The emotions go both ways.
And no, in today's world tte scholarship is not enough as the kid gets a scholarship at the new school just like at App.
Why is sitting out a year fair to the kid? The problem or actions around transferring are multifaceted. Not all are transferring to get more money. Some are looking for a better situation. They aren’t unlike the regular student body in that sometimes, the school isn’t a fit. Point being is that there isn’t a perfect way to regulate it all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”