Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another Portal Loss and Portal Discussion

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: Another Portal Loss

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:48 pm

How many millions of people are in college football stadiums on a Saturday? Really think that is going to disappear? - I don't
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

pop5app
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:19 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:48 pm
How many millions of people are in college football stadiums on a Saturday? Really think that is going to disappear? - I don't
I hope not as well. BUT, we might ask NASCAR the same question.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:06 pm

We are facing the same problem many before us have faced…the P5 cartel driven by ESPN has unjustly conspired to control the market…..

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:11 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:02 pm
For one of you legal minds, if there is a coop that's paying the players to pay, is that employment? If it is, are they subject to labor laws, minimum wage, over-time and workers compensation?
mike87 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:11 pm
1099 guys are still subject to Workers Compensation laws.
I am currently both a w2 employee one place and get 1099s with another business I run with my wife. Some 1099 contractors may be subject to workers comp laws depending on the work environment (but never OT or minimum wage), however, it certainly is not across the board. In fact, I would guess it is the exception rather than the rule to be covered. Our business gets a dozen 1099s each year for commissions we earn from selling products for a variety of vendors. I would not have a workers comp claim against any of those vendors were I to be injured while selling their products. I of course am also not subject to minimum wages laws or overtime laws, or get any benefits, vacation, etc or any of the other things I do get through my w2 employment. To merely ask the question shows a lack of understanding of the very nature of what an independent contractor is all about. And I can guarantee, student athletes getting NIL money from a third party other than the university are, for tax purposes, considered independent contractors and get a 1099.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:03 pm

appdaze wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:46 pm
Imagine you decide to leave your job for a company that pays more. What kind of a crazy world would that be? It almost like we have a capitalist economy or something. The problem is that athletics are tied to academic institutions. We are one of, maybe the only one, in the world that ties athletics to academic institutions. It was never going to be successful in the long run with the ingenious farce of amateurism. I've said this a million times now that eventually athletics will have to break from the schools and become their own entities or die out. There is too much money involved and eventually the players will become employees as they should. They should get paid for their labor like any other labor force. We are just unlucky in that we are a middle sized sports program. It's no different than being a middle sized store chain competing with Walmart. I hate it for us I really do, but it's the nature of the beast. Enjoy the ride while we still have a wave.
I disagree with this completely....take away the school name and you just have a mini pro league. How many triple AAA baseball games have you watched this year or the Gleague basketball. The schools are what many tune in for. Now...if you get the price up too high people will substitute their entertainment.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:49 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:03 pm
appdaze wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:46 pm
Imagine you decide to leave your job for a company that pays more. What kind of a crazy world would that be? It almost like we have a capitalist economy or something. The problem is that athletics are tied to academic institutions. We are one of, maybe the only one, in the world that ties athletics to academic institutions. It was never going to be successful in the long run with the ingenious farce of amateurism. I've said this a million times now that eventually athletics will have to break from the schools and become their own entities or die out. There is too much money involved and eventually the players will become employees as they should. They should get paid for their labor like any other labor force. We are just unlucky in that we are a middle sized sports program. It's no different than being a middle sized store chain competing with Walmart. I hate it for us I really do, but it's the nature of the beast. Enjoy the ride while we still have a wave.
I disagree with this completely....take away the school name and you just have a mini pro league. How many triple AAA baseball games have you watched this year or the Gleague basketball. The schools are what many tune in for. Now...if you get the price up too high people will substitute their entertainment.
Part of what I've said before on here is that teams would be affiliated with a school name, thus keeping a similar fanbase in the same way that you have the Pittsburg Steelers, L. A. Lakers. The cities do not own the teams, but they are affiliates. College sports are already a minor league system. I'm not sure why people keep bringing that up as if it isn't already the case. I disagree that people tune in for the schools. Most college fans never attended college, and the school means little to them beyond the athletic program and if it is successful or they follow it because it is local.

To answer your question for minor leagues in general, Durham bulls, hickory crawdads, WS dash, and technically, it was 2022, but this season the charlotte checkers. I couldn't get around to a Hornets Gleague game this year.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:07 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Don’t worry WV will be fine.

Most of us here don’t care about the P2 and Mezz 3 conferences other than casual viewing.

We are however INVESTED in App athletics and that way of life is jeopardized under the under circumstances.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:10 am

pop5app wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:19 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
I hope not as well. BUT, we might ask NASCAR the same question.
I'd be willing to bet that over 90% of the average fan of an average G5 couldn't care less about getting to the CFP and most of that number doesn't even know how it works. The (mostly older) die hard fans live and die for this stuff. If you drop by the average FCS Saturday game day you would still see lots of people having fun and enjoying the game. Same for probably 75% of the rest of the college football world. That small group of teams who have a legit shot at the title are in a completely different mindset. It's all perspective. Many of us who have been around to see the glory days of the SOCON and our FCS run would agree that those years were great. I remember not too long ago actually having to listen to games on my radio. Listened to the Michigan game on the computer. It's a shame that the fun aspect has been replaced by the all of nothing deal and now we are consumed by NIL and worrying about whether our good players will bolt for a payday.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:36 am

Accept it and move on , be the best we can be and enjoy the ride , because it is all too brief.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:19 am

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:23 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:06 pm
We are facing the same problem many before us have faced…the P5 cartel driven by ESPN has unjustly conspired to control the market…..
Mid and lower-level P5s are not immune to getting hurt by the influence of NILs and the transfer portal; it flows downhill. It seems to do more damage further down since those teams and G5s don't have as much depth to withstand it. I still think it can be offset somewhat when we can get some P5 players who have not been satisfied with playing time (as we have done with the portal this year).

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:46 am

BayouApp wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:23 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:06 pm
Mid and lower-level P5s are not immune to getting hurt by the influence of NILs and the transfer portal; it flows downhill. It seems to do more damage further down since those teams and G5s don't have as much depth to withstand it. I still think it can be offset somewhat when we can get some P5 players who have not been satisfied with playing time (as we have done with the portal this year).
Definitely have to do that and go after FCS stars. A lot of FCS players would just love to play in FBS. I hope we are evaluating the FCS level heavily because there are many good players that could help us.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:56 am

Counted over a third of the guys drafted in the first 3 rounds were from the SEC.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon May 01, 2023 2:25 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:56 am
Counted over a third of the guys drafted in the first 3 rounds were from the SEC.
Commisioner Greg Sankey and The SEC decided to play Big Boy football a while back. The way I see it, the ACC decided to keep living the dying Basketball dream, ignoring football. College football ad/TV generates way more money than college basketball. The divide is only going to get bigger because of money. Recent article of the ACC splitting up or going away as we know may be more truth than specualtion. I look for more than 1/3 of the early rounds to be the norm from the SEC and from the Big Ten for the rest of my football viewing days with all the money that can be thrown at the elite football players to go entertain and perform at the top schools along with having NFL aspirations. This environment is going to make it tougher for mid majors to sign any recognized talent because of the skewed draft and money mid majors cant obtain or get sponsorship money.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/31/spor ... y-sec.html
BLACK SATURDAY

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon May 01, 2023 2:49 pm

The ACC will fall behind because they signed a Grant of Rights going through 2036. In one sense, it likely kept FSU and Clemson from leaving after Maryland's exit, but it might mean they go to the SEC eventually because of how the revenue will remain stagnant compared to the B1G, SEC and even the B12. The ACC knows members won't leave in just one fell swoop, it'll be multiple swoops in quick succession by the SEC, B1G and maybe even the B12 (depending on how this Pac-10 TV deal looks when it finally closes). Then all of a sudden, Boston College, Syracuse, Wake and Duke will be calling the Big East.

The divergent interests of the members, as previously mentioned, is another big negative. The Sun Belt molding the league from 10/12 to 14/14 football/full members was smart.

But yeah, you'll be seeing more SEC/B1G players in the early draft rounds going forward, me thinks.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon May 01, 2023 4:53 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:25 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Commisioner Greg Sankey and The SEC decided to play Big Boy football a while back. The way I see it, the ACC decided to keep living the dying Basketball dream, ignoring football. College football ad/TV generates way more money than college basketball. The divide is only going to get bigger because of money. Recent article of the ACC splitting up or going away as we know may be more truth than specualtion. I look for more than 1/3 of the early rounds to be the norm from the SEC and from the Big Ten for the rest of my football viewing days with all the money that can be thrown at the elite football players to go entertain and perform at the top schools along with having NFL aspirations. This environment is going to make it tougher for mid majors to sign any recognized talent because of the skewed draft and money mid majors cant obtain or get sponsorship money.

Gap has been getting larger for the better part of 20 years now. SEC is a farm system for the NFL. Yet, we can still hang tough with and or beat them!!! Go Apps

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Mon May 01, 2023 8:36 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 4:53 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Gap has been getting larger for the better part of 20 years now. SEC is a farm system for the NFL. Yet, we can still hang tough with and or beat them!!! Go Apps
Heard that!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue May 02, 2023 5:03 am

InFor6More wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:36 pm
311neers wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 4:53 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Heard that!
We are living it too.
BLACK SATURDAY

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue May 02, 2023 2:23 pm

McLeod has committed to Auburn.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue May 02, 2023 2:29 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 2:23 pm
McLeod has committed to Auburn.

Roll Tide.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”