Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another Portal Loss and Portal Discussion

PhillyApp1

Re: Another Portal Loss

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:33 pm

Could G5 schools create a contract like contracts for coaches where if a student leaves for NIL, App would be compensated?
Is this a employee contract issue?

probably not.... but just a thought

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:24 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:10 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:00 pm
hapapp wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:57 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:50 pm
Does anyone have any context on the reason for McLeod's decision? I understand that a new Defensive Coaching staff this year so some of it may be a byproduct of gaining alignment from the entire defensive players that this is how we are going to run the defense this year. Maybe that is part of issue, maybe something totally different.
I would imagine NIL played a role.
We have to stop using that term. This is not NIL. NIL is getting paid for your name, image, likeness and you don't have a guaranteed amount because revenue for it can vary. He is being offered guaranteed money simply for his services on the field and nothing to do with his names or for marketing. These teams just want to upgrade the starting lineup or depth and they are willing to give out guaranteed money for it.
because they can. App cannot. That is what sucks. they can shell out that kind of money for "depth" and if that person never sees the field, it doesn't really matter to them, but it is taking a starter and budding star away from App.
They aren't taking anything. They made an offer and Jalen is the one taking the payday. They aren't forcing him to leave App.

I bet you would be surprised how many App alumni football players would have done the same thing if we had this in their era. I completely understand why Jalen is doing this.

The good news is that there are a lot of quality FCS and G5 players out there who would probably come play for us that can play at a high level and I hope we get one of them to replace Jalen.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:43 pm

Did we just wrap up spring practice?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:18 pm

I don't know that his production can be replaced , it's a loooong shot.Big loss.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:18 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:28 pm
NIL is what it is, but the NCAA could fix the transfer nonsense.
Oil and water. NIL by itself (when properly enforced) could be fine. The transfer portal by itself (when properly enforced) could be fine. But put them together and it is a terrible match. The NCAA just decided to allow both and enforce none.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:42 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:24 pm
The Rock wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Does anyone have any context on the reason for McLeod's decision? I understand that a new Defensive Coaching staff this year so some of it may be a byproduct of gaining alignment from the entire defensive players that this is how we are going to run the defense this year. Maybe that is part of issue, maybe something totally different.
We have to stop using that term. This is not NIL. NIL is getting paid for your name, image, likeness and you don't have a guaranteed amount because revenue for it can vary. He is being offered guaranteed money simply for his services on the field and nothing to do with his names or for marketing. These teams just want to upgrade the starting lineup or depth and they are willing to give out guaranteed money for it.
because they can. App cannot. That is what sucks. they can shell out that kind of money for "depth" and if that person never sees the field, it doesn't really matter to them, but it is taking a starter and budding star away from App.
They aren't taking anything. They made an offer and Jalen is the one taking the payday. They aren't forcing him to leave App.

I bet you would be surprised how many App alumni football players would have done the same thing if we had this in their era. I completely understand why Jalen is doing this.

The good news is that there are a lot of quality FCS and G5 players out there who would probably come play for us that can play at a high level and I hope we get one of them to replace Jalen.
It's tampering plain and simple, and that is illegal per NCAA rules. They just aren't going to enforce anything since the big boys make them so much money.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:07 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
I think this is the first of our players to leave for a paycheck. Been hearing rumblings of some schools making some overtures. “Tampering” would be the word we might have used in another time but with the crazy $#it show the NCAA has become, its just another day.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:17 pm

And so the NIL killing the development of G5 players begins.

Some of you wanted this, congrats.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:22 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:18 pm
I don't know that his production can be replaced , it's a loooong shot.Big loss.
We just don’t know for sure. I was expecting him to have 10+ TFL for sure this year. Hopefully we have a couple people step up. The staff is really high on the last 2 classes and we brought in a lot of transfers so there are a lot of unknowns.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:24 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:42 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
hapapp wrote:

It's tampering plain and simple, and that is illegal per NCAA rules. They just aren't going to enforce anything since the big boys make them so much money.
I know what you mean but technically it is not. There is nothing stated to be illegal about going through a high school coach. It is a loophole that needs to be closed though.

We might not like it but crap runs downhill and it’s time we start doing this to G5, FCS and D2 schools.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:38 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:24 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I know what you mean but technically it is not. There is nothing stated to be illegal about going through a high school coach. It is a loophole.

We might not like it but crap runs downhill and it’s time we start doing this to FCS and D2 schools.
Or other G5s.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:00 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I know what you mean but technically it is not. There is nothing stated to be illegal about going through a high school coach. It is a loophole.

We might not like it but crap runs downhill and it’s time we start doing this to FCS and D2 schools.
Actually coaches aren’t allowed to discuss players unless they are in the portal. So whether a Coach initiate a call with a high school coach or vice versa, the college coaching staff aren’t supposed to entertain the conversation. Now is it something you can prove or something you want to report? Doubtful. There is honor among thieves.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:15 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:17 pm

I think all of this will pretty much even out - do we feel bad that we grabbed a Fr. AA WR or that 2 of our starting OL are from FCS? No --- do we want to reject the DEs from Michigan St and Rutgers? No
At worst, we have time to fill McLeod's spot unlike losing Harrington in the first half of the first game.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:23 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:15 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

I think all of this will pretty much even out - do we feel bad that we grabbed a Fr. AA WR or that 2 of our starting OL are from FCS? No --- do we want to reject the DEs from Michigan St and Rutgers? No
At worst, we have time to fill McLeod's spot unlike losing Harrington in the first half of the first game.
The big difference is we aren't going out and contacting players through back channels to talk them into leaving and offering money if they do.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:33 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:23 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

The big difference is we aren't going out and contacting players through back channels to talk them into leaving and offering money if they do.
I would hope not - however that has been happening (of course not to this degree) long before NIL
I would seriously doubt that someone hasn't made us aware of what might happen with certain guys
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:50 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Everyone knew what was coming with it, and there is a reason why I was opposed to it. College Football should be an unpaid internship. Their payment is their education. Only way it would work ethically. That ship has sailed
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:29 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:38 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Or other G5s.
True! I should have said that to begin with as well. I was thinking FCS and D2 because they are much easier to poach.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:30 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Everyone knew what was coming with it, and there is a reason why I was opposed to it. College Football should be an unpaid internship. Their payment is their education. Only way it would work ethically. That ship has sailed
100%. I was against it as well but the rules have changed and Shawn better adapt or he will die. The only way to survive is do to other G5, FCS, and D2 what is going to be done to us by P5s.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:33 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:23 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

That might be true but maybe we need to get aggressive and do that with these FCS stars and studs at these bad G5 teams. I don't like people doing it but it is a loophole that the P5s are doing so we better do it unless we can compete with P2P offers, which we can't.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:20 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:30 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
100%. I was against it as well but the rules have changed and Shawn better adapt or he will die. The only way to survive is do to other G5, FCS, and D2 what is going to be done to us by P5s.
How can he adapt? He fully understands what is going on but the only thing he can do is offer as much money, but where is that coming from? Its not that Clark isn't adapting, its trying to squeeze more blood from the stone that was pretty dry already

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”