Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another Portal Loss and Portal Discussion

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Another Portal Loss

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 03, 2023 10:06 am

ASUTed wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:31 am
appdaze wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:41 am
I'm amazed at the anger at these athletes having a freer job market like the vast majority of citizen get to have. Y'all bought in hook line and sinker to the bs farce that was amateurism originally created by rich people to not have to pay college athletes so schools could freely profit on their work. There is nothing wrong with NIL. Everyone else has rights to their name, image, and likeness, so should these adults. I can understand your anger at being left behind on resource access but that is how the free market works. Some have greater access than others. We just happen to go to a regional school versus one with a larger footprint. It seems like y'all are more worried about having a good team that brings you personal entertainment and the school money than you are about what's right and just for these adult students. Bolting for 10k more? And your scoffing at that idea? Gtfo. There are tens of millions of adults that would bolt their current job if another was offered for 10k more a year. Ridiculous elitist views. I want all of y'all complaining to go into a meeting with these adults and say the same things to them that you say on here. Tell them they are dumb for leaving if it's only 10k more. Tell them they are making dumb choices. Tell them they don't know how to handle their lives. Tell them they are there to entertain you and bring the school money and they should be happy to do so. Man, some of y'all are unreal. I also doubt many of you will ever be convinced otherwise and that's a shame. Oh well. Carry on with your crying. The world will adjust and move on like always.
This absolutely nails it, free market for the players. They no longer have to sit by while the schools take in millions on their backs. I hate losing Jalen but good for him. IF you really care about the players this is a good thing for them. Period.
I think some people are upset at the way it is happening. NCAA said players can make NIL based only on that and the money can't be paid to entice players to come to schools or paid based on games played and performance. The reality is that none of this is NIL anymore. It is just pay for play, which the NCAA claimed it can't be. I think people don't like the tampering and loopholes being used to give our staff problems that our staff did not ask for. With there being so few rules now I think we should use the same loopholes with other G5 players and FCS players. If someone is going to take Jalen from us then we should go get a LB like him from another school. For those who complain though either shut up and deal with it or pony up the money to keep them. It is the new system and we have to adapt or die.

Basically if we had the portal without pay for play or pay for play without the portal we would not see the wild wild west we are seeing now. It is definitely the combo of the two that has created all this.

The big question for me is how will the courts rule in these cases and if so will athletes become employees? If so, we do see Title IX go away? I wonder how that would impact how many sports we have and would it effect football at all?

I just hope the NCAA and/or congress comes up with something good that is fair for players, coaches, and schools. I won't hold my breath but I hope they do.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed May 03, 2023 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 03, 2023 10:08 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:24 am
appdaze wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:58 am
appst89 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:51 am
appdaze wrote:
I'm amazed at the anger at these athletes having a freer job market like the vast majority of citizen get to have. Y'all bought in hook line and sinker to the bs farce that was amateurism originally created by rich people to not have to pay college athletes so schools could freely profit on their work. There is nothing wrong with NIL. Everyone else has rights to their name, image, and likeness, so should these adults. I can understand your anger at being left behind on resource access but that is how the free market works. Some have greater access than others. We just happen to go to a regional school versus one with a larger footprint. It seems like y'all are more worried about having a good team that brings you personal entertainment and the school money than you are about what's right and just for these adult students. Bolting for 10k more? And your scoffing at that idea? Gtfo. There are tens of millions of adults that would bolt their current job if another was offered for 10k more a year. Ridiculous elitist views. I want all of y'all complaining to go into a meeting with these adults and say the same things to them that you say on here. Tell them they are dumb for leaving if it's only 10k more. Tell them they are making dumb choices. Tell them they don't know how to handle their lives. Tell them they are there to entertain you and bring the school money and they should be happy to do so. Man, some of y'all are unreal. I also doubt many of you will ever be convinced otherwise and that's a shame. Oh well. Carry on with your crying. The world will adjust and move on like always.
You seem really angry.
Not really. Just tired of seeing people cry about these athletes getting opportunities like everyone else and watching those same people try to think about ways to limit these athletes abilities to make money just so they have better personal entertainment. So in other words I'm an advocate for these athletes against those that would try to take away what they should rightfully have. I'm more disappointed in my fellow Apps who seem to care more about having a good product that entertains them instead of what is best and right for our student athletes.
It’s not about denying the kid(s). It’s the lawlessness to which the mechanism is allowed to operate. Social media has created an enormous opportunity for people to make money. Everyone has a valuation number based off following. Chase Brice’s sister makes a good living off of her social media. But let’s be honest, if the Auburn collective sat up a table at the local mall for a Jaylen McLeod autograph session, how much would you pay for Jaylen McLeod’s autograph? How much would you have paid Armanti for his autograph? My point is that I don’t have a problem with these kids making money off their NIL, but there seems to be an over valuation for these kids.
I'm not saying I am against it but the reason for the valuation is because this is not NIL. This is simply pay for play to get the best players to give them what they think is their best shot to win games.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed May 03, 2023 10:13 am

Hopefully, a new poll starts and we are at the top like we always have been....doing the most with the least. Top 25 ranking with NIL total payments under 1,000,000. AppState number 1...and our players get a world class education. App! State! App! State! App! State!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 03, 2023 10:24 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:09 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:48 am
What I hate about NIL (among other things) is that it puts some young people in difficult situations. Some of these young people who don't have much money will make a dumb decision and switch schools for probably a small amount of money relatively speaking. How much is he actually getting? If he genuinely has a chance to play and that can springboard him to the NFL then good luck. If he's bolting for $10k or so and will remain a backup and doesn't do well academically then good luck as well. I really hate that now coaches have to coddle the stars for fear that they will leave.
Not only does he have a great shot at the NFL (and is going to be able to showcase it more at Auburn) he is also making 6 figures to play his final season against the best of the best in college. And from what I heard, that 6 figures doesn't start with a 1 or 2....
Some of these players who transfer are not getting on the field so they are just backups but I believe Jalen will play at Auburn like you do. I think he is a NFL talent and will play though.

These type moves are interesting because sometimes they pay off for players like Jalen and these FCS players but then other times it really does not do what they thought. I remember when the portal started and Jabril Cox left NDSU for LSU. He was projected to go in the 4th round by scouts in the spring while at NDSU and he went to LSU expecting to become a 1st or 2nd round pick. He ended up going in the 4th round. Scout see players for what they are regardless of level so he goes to LSU and has a good year but he still goes in the 4th round because that is how they viewed him. For some the move pays off and others it exposes them and hurts their chances.

It is really a gamble for Jalen and it is his life so if it does not workout for him then that is on him. I wish him well and hope it works out though.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed May 03, 2023 10:27 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:24 am
AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
What I hate about NIL (among other things) is that it puts some young people in difficult situations. Some of these young people who don't have much money will make a dumb decision and switch schools for probably a small amount of money relatively speaking. How much is he actually getting? If he genuinely has a chance to play and that can springboard him to the NFL then good luck. If he's bolting for $10k or so and will remain a backup and doesn't do well academically then good luck as well. I really hate that now coaches have to coddle the stars for fear that they will leave.
Not only does he have a great shot at the NFL (and is going to be able to showcase it more at Auburn) he is also making 6 figures to play his final season against the best of the best in college. And from what I heard, that 6 figures doesn't start with a 1 or 2....
Some of these players who transfer are not getting on the field so they are just backups but I believe Jalen will play at Auburn like you do. I think he is a NFL talent and will play though.

These type moves are interesting because sometimes they pay off for players like Jalen and these FCS players but then other times it really does not do what they thought. I remember when the portal started and Jabril Cox left NDSU for LSU. He was projected to go in the 4th round by scouts in the spring while at NDSU and he went to LSU expecting to become a 1st or 2nd round pick. He ended up going in the 4th round. Scout see players for what they are regardless of level so he goes to LSU and has a good year but he still goes in the 4th round because that is how they viewed him. For some the move pays off and others it exposes them and hurts their chances.

It is really a gamble for Jalen and it is his life so if it does not workout for him then that is on him. I wish him well and hope it works out though.
Even if NFL doesn't work out for Jalen, he's making life altering money the next 12 months.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Wally

Unread post by Wally » Wed May 03, 2023 10:52 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:54 am
Wally wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:45 am
appdaze wrote:
I still look at college athletics as amateurism, these kids are there to develop their body and skills and learn to become a professional athlete. No real difference from the rest of the university and all of the majors offered. If you are ready to skip college and go straight to the pros (or whatever your professional career will be), then so be it.
They aren't kids. They are adults. Football isn't a major. The other students aren't getting used to make millions of dollars off the farce of amateurism. But I'm just gonna stop there because if after all that has happened you still see things that way then there is nothing that will change your mind.
I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but don't colleges receive millions in research grants and endowments? I'm not sure the students working in the research labs and publishing research papers are paid more than maybe a stipend. Also, where does amateurism end and professionalism begin in athletics? Is it when you turn 18? If so, there are plenty of 18-y/o young adults playing high school athletics right now for free while the school is making hundreds off of the farce of amateurism. Isn't the age of majority (ie legal adulthood) 19 in Alabama and Nebraska, and isn't it 21 in Mississippi? So are students in those states still amateur until they reach adulthood? As I said, I still see college athletics as amateurism, and I've long thought that colleges should have a 2-year major for professional athletics to prepare them for that life.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 03, 2023 10:56 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:27 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:24 am
AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Even if NFL doesn't work out for Jalen, he's making life altering money the next 12 months.
I'm just talking about NFL stock since that has been debated by many on 247 and here. I think Jalen is talented enough that he will be a good player for Auburn. I was expecting a monster season by him.

I don't know the exact figure but based on what you said it sounds like it. I hate to lose him but I don't blame him. That money should help him well beyond his playing days, if he is good at managing money.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 03, 2023 11:26 am

Wally wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:52 am
appdaze wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:54 am
Wally wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:45 am
appdaze wrote:
I still look at college athletics as amateurism, these kids are there to develop their body and skills and learn to become a professional athlete. No real difference from the rest of the university and all of the majors offered. If you are ready to skip college and go straight to the pros (or whatever your professional career will be), then so be it.
They aren't kids. They are adults. Football isn't a major. The other students aren't getting used to make millions of dollars off the farce of amateurism. But I'm just gonna stop there because if after all that has happened you still see things that way then there is nothing that will change your mind.
I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but don't colleges receive millions in research grants and endowments? I'm not sure the students working in the research labs and publishing research papers are paid more than maybe a stipend. Also, where does amateurism end and professionalism begin in athletics? Is it when you turn 18? If so, there are plenty of 18-y/o young adults playing high school athletics right now for free while the school is making hundreds off of the farce of amateurism. Isn't the age of majority (ie legal adulthood) 19 in Alabama and Nebraska, and isn't it 21 in Mississippi? So are students in those states still amateur until they reach adulthood? As I said, I still see college athletics as amateurism, and I've long thought that colleges should have a 2-year major for professional athletics to prepare them for that life.
There in lies the problem. Amateurism has only truly existed in the minds of the people that bought into the lie of amateurism that the creators sold to the masses. Players have been getting favors and under the table money since it's inception. Amateurism sounds great on paper but it's never truly existed. It was and is a farce. You are a professional when an organization of an industry is paying to do the work professionally. The research assistants know that they are working with government grants but they are paid a set amount of money for their part in that. That is a totally different realm then telling young adults to work a tireless number of hours for no hourly wage while making millions of their labor. The scholarship is a different matter because the lab tech could be on an academic scholly and still get to work professionally for the school. An athlete gets a scholly and was getting pooped on if they tried to make money off themselves.

As far as the adult thing, I don't really care what I dividual states say. Our government says you can be handed a gun to go fight and die at 18. Then 18 has to be the minimum for our societies view of adulthood. If it isn't then we need to raise the military age to whatever we want to be an adult.

On the high school side this is where we get into the debacle that the USA put itself in when we decided to tie sports to schools unlike most of the world.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed May 03, 2023 12:40 pm

I don't get how this is about NIL. To me it is about the NCAA, which used to regulate transfers, giving up. I'm guessing a lot of this would slow down if athletes had to sit out a year after they transfer. You know like it was when the NCAA pretended to care about the student half of student athletes.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed May 03, 2023 12:46 pm

There is NO guidance in the NCAA
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed May 03, 2023 1:00 pm

The Supreme Court decision ripped the guts out of the NCAA. They are afraid to try any sort of regulation now.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed May 03, 2023 1:06 pm

The SEC and Big Ten are the tails that wag the NCAA dog.
BLACK SATURDAY

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed May 03, 2023 1:13 pm

I'm no expert but I believe that the NCAA is an organization that only derives its power and authority from their member institutions. So, they can't really do things that their strongest members don't agree with otherwise they could potentially lose those members. The P5s could just leave the NCAA and agree to govern themselves and make their own rules. Then all of those NCAA employees, some of whom I'm sure are well paid, would lose their jobs and their status in the sports world....so as humans, they don't want to lose that.
It would take congressional action to preserve an amateur level of sports at the collegiate level at this point.
HIgh school athletes are next BTW.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Wed May 03, 2023 1:17 pm

Starting July 1 high school athletes in North Carolina can profit off of NIL with some limitations. Passed earlier today.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 03, 2023 1:28 pm

Interesting. I googled what you posted and apparently 27 other states already allow HS NIL and 10 more are writing up legislation to allow it as well. Now that really will get interesting. We will see how it affects private vs public in sports. Clt Catholic, Cardinal Gibbons, etc.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 03, 2023 1:41 pm

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 1:28 pm
Interesting. I googled what you posted and apparently 27 other states already allow HS NIL and 10 more are writing up legislation to allow it as well. Now that really will get interesting. We will see how it affects private vs public in sports. Clt Catholic, Cardinal Gibbons, etc.
Texas didn’t allow high school kids to profit from NIL, which is what led Quinn Ewers to reclassify and go to Ohio St for one year.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed May 03, 2023 8:58 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 1:41 pm
appdaze wrote:
Texas didn’t allow high school kids to profit from NIL, which is what led Quinn Ewers to reclassify and go to Ohio St for one year.
I can tell you with all certainty that Charlotte Catholic can’t afford NIL money. The Athletic Department and coaches will not allow well heeled Alumni or business people to start down that road.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 03, 2023 9:18 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
I can tell you with all certainty that Charlotte Catholic can’t afford NIL money. The Athletic Department and coaches will not allow well heeled Alumni or business people to start down that road.
Maybe, but other private schools will. They openly recruit players and wealthy people like to win.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed May 03, 2023 11:43 pm

Brent Musberger once said that people will continue to do whatever they can to try to find a player that can help their team put more points on the scoreboard than the other team as long as score is kept at these games.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu May 04, 2023 9:42 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:18 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Maybe, but other private schools will. They openly recruit players and wealthy people like to win.
All eyes on Chad Grier 👀👀

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”