Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another Portal Loss and Portal Discussion

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Another Portal Loss

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu May 04, 2023 9:49 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 1:41 pm
appdaze wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 1:28 pm
Interesting. I googled what you posted and apparently 27 other states already allow HS NIL and 10 more are writing up legislation to allow it as well. Now that really will get interesting. We will see how it affects private vs public in sports. Clt Catholic, Cardinal Gibbons, etc.
Texas didn’t allow high school kids to profit from NIL, which is what led Quinn Ewers to reclassify and go to Ohio St for one year.
I can tell you with all certainty that Charlotte Catholic can’t afford NIL money. The Athletic Department and coaches will not allow well heeled Alumni or business people to start down that road.
I’m not sure how NIL for high school works. At the University level, schools aren’t supposed to be involved outside of helping the athlete connect with opportunities. The money comes from donors and businesses.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu May 04, 2023 3:21 pm

Guy, top level (re: D1 bound) high school athletes have been getting products for decades. Like thousands of dollars worth, per year. Hell I got golf balls for free in high school that were bought by boosters and I could barely play (I was recruited D2 with a few low D1s mixed in), with a club/bag thrown in here and there. I know tennis players who were getting racquets and all the gear from “friends”. Big time athlete’s high schools somehow all of a sudden get Nike gear for a couple years. Booster clubs provide dinners and jobs. This is nothing new, it’s just out in the open now and allowing kids to get money that they can’t get from jobs because they’re practicing.
Give 'em hell!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu May 04, 2023 3:28 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:21 pm
Guy, top level (re: D1 bound) high school athletes have been getting products for decades. Like thousands of dollars worth, per year. Hell I got golf balls for free in high school that were bought by boosters and I could barely play (I was recruited D2 with a few low D1s mixed in), with a club/bag thrown in here and there. I know tennis players who were getting racquets and all the gear from “friends”. Big time athlete’s high schools somehow all of a sudden get Nike gear for a couple years. Booster clubs provide dinners and jobs. This is nothing new, it’s just out in the open now and allowing kids to get money that they can’t get from jobs because they’re practicing.
Tell you grew up in a wealthy area without telling me you grew up wealthy area...

My high school had 5 guys I played with go to the NFL. We didn't get any of that. In fact, one of the guys that went to the NFL (so definitely a high level athlete), had to host a car wash every year to get himself new cleats and gloves.

On road trips, if we didn't bring our own food, we didn't eat before or after the game.

This does not happen every where currently.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu May 04, 2023 3:46 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:28 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:21 pm
Tell you grew up in a wealthy area without telling me you grew up wealthy area...

My high school had 5 guys I played with go to the NFL. We didn't get any of that. In fact, one of the guys that went to the NFL (so definitely a high level athlete), had to host a car wash every year to get himself new cleats and gloves.

On road trips, if we didn't bring our own food, we didn't eat before or after the game.

This does not happen every where currently.
I guess I kinda did, but it doesn’t compare to wealthy areas of Charlotte/Raleigh/the Triangle.

There’s plenty of this going on in Texas, Florida, Ohio for football and basketball. I’m sure California too. And most of the guys I played golf with in junior tournaments (not high school-outside of NCHSAA) had way more provided to them. The biggest guys had under the table deals for their whole bag and many never paid for instruction, or not what I’d pay today if I went to the same teachers.

Junior athletics is a wild place.
Give 'em hell!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 04, 2023 7:01 pm

"Life altering money" .How much is he getting ?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu May 04, 2023 7:46 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:01 pm
"Life altering money" .How much is he getting ?
https://wid.world/income-comparator/

If an individual has a wealth of 100k, this means the value of all major assets combined, then you are in the top 36% in the USA and the top 12% wealthiest in the world. If your yearly individual income is 100k you are in the top 9% in the USA. It doesn't take millions to be life-changing.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri May 05, 2023 10:18 am

Just read this on espn - looks like Auburn is heavy into the transfer portal
https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... op-players

Isaac Ukwu, EDGE
Transferring from: James Madison

HT: 6-3 | WT: 260 | Class: Senior

Background: Ukwu has become a very highly sought-after transfer and is at a premium position. He has proven he can provide a team with production and bring a pass rush element, as he has tallied 27 tackles for loss and 16.5 sacks over the past two seasons.

Best fit: Auburn. Ukwu recently visited the Tigers at the end of April and is planning other visits, including one at Ole Miss. He holds offers from Colorado, Missouri and California, among others, but Auburn is a team looking for help up front.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Fri May 05, 2023 1:41 pm

Everett to Oklahoma

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Fri May 05, 2023 1:56 pm

Is an NIL deal tied to a contract between the parties? If so, how can someone under 18 legally sign a binding contract?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri May 05, 2023 2:15 pm

AppNC wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:41 pm
Everett to Oklahoma
Yep. Good enough for Oklahoma but we couldn’t put up with a loud dad. Thought someone said earlier he was VT bound

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri May 05, 2023 2:22 pm

311neers wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:15 pm
AppNC wrote:
Everett to Oklahoma
Yep. Good enough for Oklahoma but we couldn’t put up with a loud dad. Thought someone said earlier he was VT bound
Yeah I know the SEC staff might be misreading the tape or not have the information our staff has, but its pretty puzzling that he could land at Oklahoma and not be good enough to be a starter here when we've lost a bunch on oline over the past 2 years.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri May 05, 2023 2:51 pm

1. Do you know if this is NIL related or not? If NIL comes into play, nothing pur coaching staff can do about that?
2. Is he penciled in as a starter at Oklahoma?
3. If "Daddy" is in kids ear, nothing coaching staff can do about that.

I am sure this kid is a nice kid...but there was a reason he was pulled from starting line up. If none of the above...kid should have stayed and competed for a spot.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri May 05, 2023 2:55 pm

AppNC wrote:
Everett to Oklahoma
https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/ ... 90141/Amp/

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Fri May 05, 2023 2:59 pm

I do know he was offered an NIL but do not know the details.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri May 05, 2023 3:36 pm

On NIL money I saw an article on The Athletic regarding Colorado and their extreme house cleaning approach. They spoke to several Director of Player Personnel (DPP) folks for Pac-12, B1G, SEC and ACC for inputs. One P5 director of football operations said, "People can say what they want, but with NIL for him to get legit dudes, he's got to have real money". So as some have said on this thread, there is serious money being thrown at the best players in the portal. The article was all about the new world of the portal and NIL and how to manage it to get the best results.

Another point made in the article is that most of the DPPs said you have to have 50-60 with about 20 more who will eventually be good to field a competitive team in P5. How does App stack up to those numbers?

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Fri May 05, 2023 3:51 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:18 am
Just read this on espn - looks like Auburn is heavy into the transfer portal
https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... op-players

Isaac Ukwu, EDGE
Transferring from: James Madison

HT: 6-3 | WT: 260 | Class: Senior

Background: Ukwu has become a very highly sought-after transfer and is at a premium position. He has proven he can provide a team with production and bring a pass rush element, as he has tallied 27 tackles for loss and 16.5 sacks over the past two seasons.

Best fit: Auburn. Ukwu recently visited the Tigers at the end of April and is planning other visits, including one at Ole Miss. He holds offers from Colorado, Missouri and California, among others, but Auburn is a team looking for help up front.
This kid was a beast for them. Looked like a man amongst boys. They’ve lost quite a lot of talent this off-season to graduation and the portal.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 05, 2023 4:50 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:22 pm
311neers wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:15 pm
AppNC wrote:
Everett to Oklahoma
Yeah I know the SEC staff might be misreading the tape or not have the information our staff has, but its pretty puzzling that he could land at Oklahoma and not be good enough to be a starter here when we've lost a bunch on oline over the past 2 years.
Let’s keep in mind that he started, was benched, and played sparingly over the last half of the season. He didn’t win a starting spot in Spring practice. All that means is that he wasn’t seen as one of the 5 best guys. Could he be the 6th best? Could that not be enough to satisfy him? Best of luck to him but a lot of teams are/were in the market for OL guys in the Portal and the depth was lacking. A guy that played and started has value. Time will tell whether he was over valued. I hope not.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri May 05, 2023 7:20 pm

Yes, Everett got a NIL deal to be at Oklahoma. I don't know the numbers, but do know Va Tech offered him north of $200k. I would assume for him to choose Oklahoma over Va Tech, it would have to be more considering Va Tech was his dream program.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 05, 2023 7:48 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:20 pm
Yes, Everett got a NIL deal to be at Oklahoma. I don't know the numbers, but do know Va Tech offered him north of $200k. I would assume for him to choose Oklahoma over Va Tech, it would have to be more considering Va Tech was his dream program.
The folks on the VT message boards turned quick on him when he picked OU.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri May 05, 2023 9:50 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:48 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:20 pm
The folks on the VT message boards turned quick on him when he picked OU.
Yes, they did

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”