Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ESPN 2023 projection

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

ESPN 2023 projection

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:05 pm

The latest has us at 4th in the Sunbelt East ,86th nationally.Troy is #1 in the West and overall.

AppStFan1

Re: ESPN 2023 projection

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:35 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:05 pm
The latest has us at 4th in the Sunbelt East ,86th nationally.Troy is #1 in the West and overall.
I'm glad these projections don't matter but you could argue that our name kept us from being 5th. Their projection is fair. We have gone from a top 25 team on a bowl win streak to a 6-6 team who did not even make a bowl. We enter 2023 with a new QB and a lot of questions on the DL, OL, LB, DB, and a lot of new coaches. I believe we will be better than 6-6 but we have a lot of unknowns so I get why they are low on us.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:46 pm

"For entertainment purposes only."

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:47 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:35 pm
Stonewall wrote:
I'm glad these projections don't matter but you could argue that our name kept us from being 5th. Their projection is fair. We have gone from a top 25 team on a bowl win streak to a 6-6 team who did not even make a bowl. We enter 2023 with a new QB and a lot of questions on the DL, OL, DB, and a lot of new coaches. I believe we will be better than 6-6 but we have a lot of unknowns so I get why they are low on us.
DL and DB aren’t big issues any longer. ILB and OL are things that need to be addressed in this round of the portal and all should be fine.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:02 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:47 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
I'm glad these projections don't matter but you could argue that our name kept us from being 5th. Their projection is fair. We have gone from a top 25 team on a bowl win streak to a 6-6 team who did not even make a bowl. We enter 2023 with a new QB and a lot of questions on the DL, OL, DB, and a lot of new coaches. I believe we will be better than 6-6 but we have a lot of unknowns so I get why they are low on us.
DL and DB aren’t big issues any longer. ILB and OL are things that need to be addressed in this round of the portal and all should be fine.
If we did not have issues with talent and numbers on the DL, DB, LB, and OL then we would not be hitting the portal so hard.

To be accurate in what I said I used the word questions, not issues. We brought in a lot of transfers and will have a lot of new faces in those areas. On the OL we have to replace Everett and two all-sun belt tackles, we lose some key DL and brought in transfers, DB was a weak spot and we lose both starting corners plus added transfers, we need some ILBs, and we lost our QB. These areas might turn out to be strong but they have a lot of question marks right now.

And for the record I have said on here I supported giving Shawn another year but I am also objective and calling out the facts. We all want to win and I hope it is with Shawn. For his sake I hope ESPN is wrong about their prediction, even though the expectation by them is fair for now.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:33 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:02 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
If we did not have issues with talent and numbers on the DL, DB, LB, and OL then we would not be hitting the portal so hard.

To be accurate in what I said I used the word questions, not issues. We brought in a lot of transfers and will have a lot of new faces in those areas. On the OL we have to replace Everett and two all-sun belt tackles, we lose some key DL and brought in transfers, DB was a weak spot and we lose both starting corners plus added transfers, we need some ILBs, and we lost our QB. These areas might turn out to be strong but they have a lot of question marks right now.

And for the record I have said on here I supported giving Shawn another year but I am also objective and calling out the facts. We all want to win and I hope it is with Shawn. For his sake I hope ESPN is wrong about their prediction, even though the expectation by them is fair for now.
Issues/problems, same thing. DBs were brought in for a variety of reasons and the problem is likely fixed. Same for DL. We are very good three deep across the front three now. OL will be addressed shortly. Whether you get plug in starters or depth pieces at tackle remains to be seen. You can feel how you wish about losing Everett but to me, it isn’t anything more than a short term worry. He wasn’t starting anyhow and while he was depth at two positions, if you only want to be here is you are starting then you don’t want to be here.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:58 pm

When Everett’s dad melted down on the 24/7 board last season, you had to figure the lineman’s days at App were short.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:08 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:33 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Issues/problems, same thing. DBs were brought in for a variety of reasons and the problem is likely fixed. Same for DL. We are very good three deep across the front three now. OL will be addressed shortly. Whether you get plug in starters or depth pieces at tackle remains to be seen. You can feel how you wish about losing Everett but to me, it isn’t anything more than a short term worry. He wasn’t starting anyhow and while he was depth at two positions, if you only want to be here is you are starting then you don’t want to be here.
With Fall camp still to come, you can't say that Everett wouldn't start. Just because we have numbers at DB and DL doesn't mean those won't be trouble spots. Given the season we just came off of, I think we all want to believe things will be better this Fall. I'm optimistic that the problem areas have been addressed but until we play a down of football one can't speak with certainty that all is honky dory.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:37 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:08 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

With Fall camp still to come, you can't say that Everett wouldn't start. Just because we have numbers at DB and DL doesn't mean those won't be trouble spots. Given the season we just came off of, I think we all want to believe things will be better this Fall. I'm optimistic that the problem areas have been addressed but until we play a down of football one can't speak with certainty that all is honky dory.
You are right. We don’t know what we have. We had a very un App like season but we aren’t exactly coming off a season that necessitates despair. We finished .500 despite a lot of injuries and being dependent on some young guys contributing. We have a good amount of experience coming back from last year on defense thanks to guys stepping up to fill in for injured players.

We will likely need to win some games with defense this season while the new QB gets comfortable. We will get guys in from the portal to either start at tackle or be quality backups to the starters.

With all things being equal at the moment, and barring injury through the off season, I’m fairly certain that Everett wasn’t going to start given you have three returning starters in the interior.

I’m optimistic that we will be better across the board. What that looks like in terms of record and standings remains to be seen.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

It does not matter what the reasons are. The fact we had to do it means there were issues and we felt we needed players to help fix them. We have a lot of new starters, had to bring in a lot from the portal, new QB, new coaches, etc all are good reasons as to why we are projected low.

I agree we should see improvement in 2023 but I we will see if we do. We have to win on the field and with an easier schedule I am hopeful we can win 8+ games. I just understand why ESPN and others have a lot of questions on us now.

Hopefully all the players we are losing are players who are either locker room issues, don't work hard, or just not good enough to play. I don't expect this to hurt us long term because we can get players in the portal. In today's portal world there is no reason for issues to last more than a year because coaches can go in the portal and get players to help fix them. I am hopeful that these new additions and the others we are about to bring in will indeed help with that.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:10 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:37 pm
hapapp wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:08 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

You are right. We don’t know what we have. We had a very un App like season but we aren’t exactly coming off a season that necessitates despair. We finished .500 despite a lot of injuries and being dependent on some young guys contributing. We have a good amount of experience coming back from last year on defense thanks to guys stepping up to fill in for injured players.

We will likely need to win some games with defense this season while the new QB gets comfortable. We will get guys in from the portal to either start at tackle or be quality backups to the starters.

With all things being equal at the moment, and barring injury through the off season, I’m fairly certain that Everett wasn’t going to start given you have three returning starters in the interior.

I’m optimistic that we will be better across the board. What that looks like in terms of record and standings remains to be seen.
I hope this is all right and believe we can be but we better see increased wins if we are better across the board because the schedule is not quite as hard. I am expecting 8 or 9 wins but need to see it first. I would love to see our coaches put out an official depth chart now and see how different it is in September because I think we will see a lot of changes from spring to the end of fall camp with all the new bodies coming in.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:39 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:58 pm
When Everett’s dad melted down on the 24/7 board last season, you had to figure the lineman’s days at App were short.
By the way, Everett’s dad has apologized for last year’s rant. Gotta admire that in him. Couldn’t have been easy to do.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:57 pm

When was the rant? on which thread?

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:02 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:57 pm
When was the rant? on which thread?
Midway during last season on 24/7’s message board.
Last edited by AppGrad78 on Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:03 pm

When? Which tread?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:38 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:39 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:58 pm
By the way, Everett’s dad has apologized for last year’s rant. Gotta admire that in him. Couldn’t have been easy to do.
He also said he has no issue with Clark and nothing but good things to say about him,

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:02 pm

My youngest played baseball through high school and I tried really hard not to be "that guy " who bitches and moans because my kids are not starting every game or playing every inning. We had our share of coaches who made questionable decisions with positions or players. Coaches spend way more time with our kids beyond the few hours of actual games.

I really hate these way too early projections. If App was picked to win the Belt and even picked in this top 20 it's completely meaningless. Who gives a crap that we are picked 4th?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:08 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:02 pm
My youngest played baseball through high school and I tried really hard not to be "that guy " who bitches and moans because my kids are not starting every game or playing every inning. We had our share of coaches who made questionable decisions with positions or players. Coaches spend way more time with our kids beyond the few hours of actual games.

I really hate these way too early projections. If App was picked to win the Belt and even picked in this top 20 it's completely meaningless. Who gives a crap that we are picked 4th?
Totally agree. I think it is more a reflection of last year. I'd love for people to overlook us preseason.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:12 pm

It is a reflection of last year certainly , falling stock , downward trajectory.It means nothing on the field perhaps , motivation aside.However if it becomes the norm ....

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:06 pm

You are what your record is..until your not....prove the forecast wrong...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”