Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

McBride?

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: McBride?

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:59 pm

So this leaves us with 3 scholarship qbs, and now none that have taken a college snap. McBride was on scholarship correct? Does that mean a scholarship is freed up or are we still giving him one? Anyone know what Burger weighs in at? Feel like Aguilar’s size might give him the nod right now.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:01 pm

So...how many years of eligibility does Aguilar have? Was somewhat hoping Burger would be the undeniable starter to establish some long term continuity like TL and ZT.
But if Aguilar is better so be it. Thinking Burger may move on if he doesn't start this season.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:03 pm

It was never going to be Mac .Reportedly Aquilar is as good , or better than advertised at this point , so it's a two man competition .McHugh and two or three PWOs will round out the room.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:05 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:33 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:17 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:22 pm
The Rock wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:07 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:43 am
Sure was hoping we'd get a transfer.
We did. His name is Joey Aguilar
JC transfer? I must have forgotten. My wish list was to get another 4 star talent. Anyway, I'm guessing Aguilar will be our starter?
Stars mean nothing. 😂
More so than not, sure there are some that won't live up to billing. Brice was 4 star and had the best arm I'd seen in APP uniform since 1982. I'd take my chance with another 4 star with P5 experience.
But not better than Randy Joyce ? Interesting take there.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:26 pm

Funny, let me say EVER then.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:47 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:01 pm
So...how many years of eligibility does Aguilar have? Was somewhat hoping Burger would be the undeniable starter to establish some long term continuity like TL and ZT.
But if Aguilar is better so be it. Thinking Burger may move on if he doesn't start this season.
Aguilar has two years of eligibility. I have no inside knowledge on Burger’s feelings but based on my interactions with his dad, I don’t think that he is a, “I’m transferring because I’m not starting” type of guy.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:01 pm

I really wish college football programs fielded the equivalent of JV teams. They don't need to play a full schedule or even full fledged 60 minute games. If you had some type of competitive action for your entire roster that would be beneficial. Imagine a competitive JV type game where your 2nd and lower QB's could take snaps. Teams could put red jerseys on them if there was a mutual agreement not to hit each other's QB. It's got to be brutal to be QB 1a and never take a meaningful snap.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:52 pm

Imagine being a 4 star recruit at bama and patiently waiting your turn only to break your ankle playing in a meaningless JV game that wasn't part of the regular varsity practice or games.

These players are assets to these programs. They aren't going to take anymore unnecessary risks than they have to.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:53 pm

No reason to have any doubt Clark has this. He's clearly got this program moving forward.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:50 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:01 pm
I really wish college football programs fielded the equivalent of JV teams. They don't need to play a full schedule or even full fledged 60 minute games. If you had some type of competitive action for your entire roster that would be beneficial. Imagine a competitive JV type game where your 2nd and lower QB's could take snaps. Teams could put red jerseys on them if there was a mutual agreement not to hit each other's QB. It's got to be brutal to be QB 1a and never take a meaningful snap.
Cost more money...I can hear people already complaining.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:40 pm

Strong competition at all positions make the program stronger. You want guys to push themselves harder for a starting role, not let the competition level drop so it is handed to them by default.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:47 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:01 pm
Some teams have it. I know the Ivy League has JV games.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:12 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:18 pm
We should be fine.
Ok we lost arguably the best QB in a decade CB and we’re fine . I’ll take it.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:45 pm

appdaze wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:52 pm
Imagine being a 4 star recruit at bama and patiently waiting your turn only to break your ankle playing in a meaningless JV game that wasn't part of the regular varsity practice or games.

These players are assets to these programs. They aren't going to take anymore unnecessary risks than they have to.
Some of the words you chose in the argument against a JV (or whatever you want to call it) are exactly why I suggested it. These days the backup guys, particularly at the skill positions aren't "waiting patiently ". They want to play, immediately or they find another team where they can play! If the 3rd string QB at App breaks his ankle in a glorified scrimmage versus a meaningful practice it simply happened but at least he was competing and probably having fun.

AppSt94

Re: McBride

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:26 am

Outside of the financial needs to start and maintain a JV team, I don’t feel that playing JV ball would be enough to placate someone towards not getting playing time. Sure it could help development. I just don’t see it being the solution. To be honest, while you want guys that want to be on the field, you also want those guys to be competitors. Meaning that they feel a personal responsibility and accountability to get better to earn playing time and not guys that turn tail when they haven’t done enough to get on the field.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:43 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:12 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:18 pm
We should be fine.
Ok we lost arguably the best QB in a decade CB and we’re fine . I’ll take it.
To clarify. While I agree with you in that Brice is the best QB in the past decade, and maybe ever, I don’t think that we will see a large drop off in talent between Aguilar/Burger and Brice. The difference will most likely come in the form of consistency. Watching a 1st year guy and expecting him to play like a 6th year guy is unfair. There will be bumps in the road and moments of frustration for fans and coaches. But that’s where you have to step back and watch the process progress.

In Burger’s case, I feel like he is very similar to Freshman Chase. If you recall when Chase came in against Syracuse with the season on the line for Clemson and engineered a comeback, that was more about being mentally ready for the moment than the physical. In getting to know Jason Burger a little bit this past year, I am very comfortable with the type of cerebral QB we are getting more so than the physical talent.

I don’t have that same vibe about Aguilar but it’s just because I haven’t been around him or his circle to get a read. But from a talent perspective, I think both are going to be good, albeit inconsistent at times.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:49 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:45 pm
appdaze wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:52 pm

Some of the words you chose in the argument against a JV (or whatever you want to call it) are exactly why I suggested it. These days the backup guys, particularly at the skill positions aren't "waiting patiently ". They want to play, immediately or they find another team where they can play! If the 3rd string QB at App breaks his ankle in a glorified scrimmage versus a meaningful practice it simply happened but at least he was competing and probably having fun.
They are waiting for meaningful varsity division 1 play time. Keyword meaningful. If our 3rd string qb breaks their ankle in a meaningless jv game on Wednesday and then both 1 and 2 go down in the game Saturday then we are screwed because we made the choice to have a 3rd string play less meaningful highly risky minutes.

If you are a 3rd stringer and you get demoted to JV you are in the portal before the ink dries. You are right in that they want to play, but they want to play when it matters.

Again though, these players are financial assets to schools. They aren't going to risk these assets in games outside of the varsity schedule/practices. That would be foolish in this day and age.

The only way a JV works is if it is a fully separate team with its own players and coaching staff because this team would need their own practice times and playing fields as they would need to practice at the same times as the varsity team or at least in the same seasons. I would never ever ask our coaches who already out in insane hours to also go coach a JV team. So you would need money for another coaching staff and everything that comes with another team.

Someone mentioned Ivy League. Don't bother with those comparisons. That is a whole nother world of money you are talking about.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:44 am

Does Aguilar have 2 years of eligibility?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:48 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:44 am
Does Aguilar have 2 years of eligibility?
Yes.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:14 am

So McBride is playing JV ball?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”