Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2023 Pro Day

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

2023 Pro Day

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:13 am

We have the pro day coming up on March 30th.

I have not seen the list of who all is planning to attend but Cam Peoples, Nick Hampton, Cooper Hodges, Steven Jones, Chase Brice, Dexter Lawson, Henry Pearson, and Daetrich Harrington would be among those I would expect.

At the combine, Peoples measured 6013, 217 pounds with a 1.56 10, 2.65 20, and 4.61 40 plus a 37 VJ and 10'1 BJ. He did not bench, shuttle, or do 3-cone by choice. He did not even claim an injury. That would tell me he plans to do them at pro day. It will be interesting to see if he runs again. His best hand times in the 40 were 4.58 and 4.59 though so that is why I am curious whether he decides to run. I think he should to try and get his times down to 4.55 or better.

Hampton was at the combine also and measured 6022, 236 pounds with a 1.55 10, 2.61 20, and 4.58 40-yard time. He also had a 35 1/2 VJ and 10'0 BJ. Hampton said he hurt his right big toe during drills so he did not do bench, shuttle, or 3-cone. I would imagine he plans to do them at the pro day.

Hodges and Jones both had good weeks at the NFLPA. Both could get drafted. Jones was the best corner at the NFLPA Bowl. Brice had a good Hula Bowl and looked okay at Shrine practices but did not do much in the actual game. All of them need a strong pro day to get drafted.

The interesting landing will be for Peoples because he had mid round talent but he is likely not going anywhere near the expected 3rd or 4th round his camp expects as of now. He had high grades coming into the season but saw his stock drop during the fall and could go undrafted. There are medical and other off the field concerns with him.

AppSt94

Re: 2023 Pro Day

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:49 pm

Would Brice need to participate given his draft status with the USFL?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:25 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:49 pm
Would Brice need to participate given his draft status with the USFL?
Yes, if he hopes to get a shot in the NFL. USFL Draft does not effect the NFL at all. In fact, there were several drafted by USFL that will be drafted or signed by NFL teams next month. The team who drafted him only owns his rights within the USFL. He could go to NFL or even sign with the XFL if he does not want to play in the USFL.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:31 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:13 am
The interesting landing will be for Peoples because he had mid round talent but he is likely not going anywhere near the expected 3rd or 4th round his camp expects as of now. He had high grades coming into the season but saw his stock drop during the fall and could go undrafted. There are medical and other off the field concerns with him.
His "hip injury" that kept him out of the last part of the season was highly suspicious... Even his teammates didn't believe it.

I love Cam, but he has some things going on. Hope he has them figured out and gets back on track.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:20 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:31 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:13 am
His "hip injury" that kept him out of the last part of the season was highly suspicious... Even his teammates didn't believe it.

I love Cam, but he has some things going on. Hope he has them figured out and gets back on track.
Agreed. We will see but I hope he does as well.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:01 am

I've never played a down and can only imagine how much it can hurt getting hit. If any player dogged it by faking injury that's a bit sad. I hope he gets a shot somewhere. When he signed and people talked about how big, strong and fast he was we envisioned a back never really seen at App. The bowl game stats were crazy and he had flashes of ridiculous talent.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:12 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:01 am
I've never played a down and can only imagine how much it can hurt getting hit. If any player dogged it by faking injury that's a bit sad. I hope he gets a shot somewhere. When he signed and people talked about how big, strong and fast he was we envisioned a back never really seen at App. The bowl game stats were crazy and he had flashes of ridiculous talent.
I never understood the love that folks had for him. He is a great kid with a wonderful personality. But he never seems to get better at his craft. He was essentially the same runner as a Senior that he was as a Freshman. I get the allure given his size, but he never lived up the potential that people saw in him but yet somehow, no one was disappointed with that.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:30 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:12 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
I never understood the love that folks had for him. He is a great kid with a wonderful personality. But he never seems to get better at his craft. He was essentially the same runner as a Senior that he was as a Freshman. I get the allure given his size, but he never lived up the potential that people saw in him but yet somehow, no one was disappointed with that.
Disagree. I think he lived up to his potential when he was on the field. A big, physical runner who was hard to bring down with deceptive speed for his size. could grind out 2-3 yards up the middle or bounce it outside and take it the distance. Just seemed like for whatever reason he never was able to stay on the field enough games in a row to really make his presence felt.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:40 am

The Rock wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:30 am
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Disagree. I think he lived up to his potential when he was on the field. A big, physical runner who was hard to bring down with deceptive speed for his size. could grind out 2-3 yards up the middle or bounce it outside and take it the distance. Just seemed like for whatever reason he never was able to stay on the field enough games in a row to really make his presence felt.
What you’re saying would be a definition of not living up to potential though. Sure injuries played a part in that, but that can also be used to show that he lacked durability to get better. He showed potential to be an every down back but that never materialized. My comment wasn’t meant to bash Cam or speak to his inabilities. Cam flashed and when he flashed, he was unforgettable. But he also struggled in parts of the game that he just never got better at.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:05 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
He showed flashes of what he can do but overall he definitely did not improve as much as you want. I was hopeful we would have a SBC OFF POY, 3-time first-team All-SBC, and top 3 all-time rusher at App when I first saw him and he sure fell way short of that type of career. He has the talent to do it but never became an all-around running back and was not on the field enough. I was very disappointed with what he did compared to expectations of him. He also should have finished his career as a top 50 NFL Draft pick and I don't see that happening either.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:10 pm

The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
The fact a player with his size was not on the field regularly and did not improve as a receiver or blocker is why he was a disappointment for many. That is the disappointment. He showed flashes but did not live up to the potential because of a few moments but the reality is he did not consistently produce that greatness.

When you say deceptive speed for his size I also have to say he did not run what I hoped for. I was thinking he might run mid to low 4.5s but he ran in the low 4.6s. He could benefit by running again at pro day and shaving some time of his combine numbers.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:11 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:40 am
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
What you’re saying would be a definition of not living up to potential though. Sure injuries played a part in that, but that can also be used to show that he lacked durability to get better. He showed potential to be an every down back but that never materialized. My comment wasn’t meant to bash Cam or speak to his inabilities. Cam flashed and when he flashed, he was unforgettable. But he also struggled in parts of the game that he just never got better at.
Exactly. I was hopeful that he would become a good blocker with his size but he never showed a lot of improvement there. Cam has a good personality but he definitely fell short of what everyone hoped for in terms of improvement on the field and staying healthy.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:49 pm

The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
I'm not going to say what I think caused him not fully living up to The Cabin's expectations, but if I was a captian and had to pick a team school yard style with alternating picks over the last ten years of APP players I'd want him on my team as my first RB chosen. Heck, I might even do the same all the way back to Settle? He produced quite well against the toughest competition APP has ever faced. If he's drafted or makes an NFL team that says a lot about the guys that know talent, who was the last APP RB to get drafted or stick?
BLACK SATURDAY

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:55 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:49 pm
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
I'm not going to say what I think caused him not fully living up to The Cabin's expectations, but if I was a captian and had to pick a team school yard style with alternating picks over the last ten years of APP players I'd want him on my team as my first RB chosen. Heck, I might even do the same all the way back to Settle? He produced quite well against the toughest competition APP has ever faced. If he's drafted or makes an NFL team that says a lot about the guys that know talent, who was the last APP RB to get drafted or stick?
Darrynton Evans

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:05 pm

Yes recently DE and he was really good too, but my point is how many APP RBs drafted or made squad in 40 years? I thought Cam had potential to be the best.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:09 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Darrynton Evans went in the 3rd round in the 2020 NFL Draft. He has struggled in the NFL and we had Moore go to the Senior Bowl in 2019 but he had to retire early due to injuries. Injuries have been a big problem for Cam and that is why he has fallen short of our expectations.

Nobody on here has said he does not have talent. I have said since his freshman year that I expected him to be a future NFL player. He had 4th round grades from the scouts who came during the junior pro day last year and he got a Senior Bowl and Combine invite, both of which I predicted would happen before the season. The issue is that he was hurt a lot, which you expect from smaller backs and not someone his size, he skipped games he was healthy enough to play in, and he did not improve as a blocker or receiver.

Peoples has talent and will be signed to a NFL contract. The fact that he is being considered a late round or PFA now instead of a 2nd or 3rd round pick is only because of issues mentioned above. If Cam was durable, tough, a good blocker, and solid receiver then he would be rated in the top 50-75 by every legit media outlet out there. He is a better prospect than Evans was but I expect him to go lower than Evans did.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:18 pm

I will say this. IF Cam makes an NFL roster and IF he parlays a career out of it. It would mark a monumental shift in his mental toughness. There is no question that he has the physical tools. It’s the eight inch gap between his ears that will hold him back.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:22 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:05 pm
Yes recently DE and he was really good too, but my point is how many APP RBs drafted or made squad in 40 years? I thought Cam had potential to be the best.
John Settle did and he was a Pro Bowler. Evans and Jalin Moore recently. Moore retired early due to injury. We have not had a player with Cam's talent but Harrington was a more dependable runner in college despite not having half of Cam's talent. I hope Cam can stay healthy and make it but he will have to check that track mentality at the door when he gets to that league. They won't just keep him around like Clark did. They will cut him pretty quick if he pulls what he did at the end of the 2022 season.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:26 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:09 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Darrynton Evans went in the 3rd round in the 2020 NFL Draft. He has struggled in the NFL and we had Moore go to the Senior Bowl in 2019 but he had to retire early due to injuries. Injuries have been a big problem for Cam and that is why he has fallen short of our expectations.

Nobody on here has said he does not have talent. I have said since his freshman year that I expected him to be a future NFL player. He had 4th round grades from the scouts who came during the junior pro day last year and he got a Senior Bowl and Combine invite, both of which I predicted would happen before the season. The issue is that he was hurt a lot, which you expect from smaller backs and not someone his size, he skipped games he was healthy enough to play in, and he did not improve as a blocker or receiver.

Peoples has talent and will be signed to a NFL contract. The fact that he is being considered a late round or PFA now instead of a 2nd or 3rd round pick is only because of issues mentioned above. If Cam was durable, tough, a good blocker, and solid receiver then he would be rated in the top 50-75 by every legit media outlet out there. He is a better prospect than Evans was but I expect him to go lower than Evans did.
Half of his difficiencies deficiencies can be taught, which I think aren't his fault. The other half can be upgraded too.
BLACK SATURDAY

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:16 pm

Wish him all the best going forward.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”