Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2023 Yosef Club Town Hall Meeting, March 22

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2023 Yosef Club Town Hall Meeting, March 22

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:36 pm

appst89 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:50 am
ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:41 am
We really have people working for us in 2023 full time making 30k? I know most of them have a college degree at that.....

I think state employees get pretty good benefits, but that's $14 bucks an hour if they're working only 40 hours which I doubt they are. They could make more going down the mountain and working as a cashier at Target.....we really do have no money. I take back every complaint I've ever had about the department if that's all we pay them.
I regularly look at the job postings at the university. The pay scales are ridiculously low. There are some jobs asking for Master's degrees and starting at less than $40k. I considered a job there once, but it would have required me to take a 50% pay cut from what I was making in industry. If the state of NC doesn't get more competitive with wages, App won't be able to hire any decent employees.
That is pretty much the plan I thought. Not just at App but across state govt.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:53 pm

There needs to be some kind of Yosef gathering spot pre-game.The Quinn was not a recruiting tool but a place to get out of the weather and see people.Old Owens was great , the balcony , Gerald and Julia holding court,but yes it was a tight fit.NEZ is taken , I don't sit there but I understand the point of those that do.When the westside complex was done was the opportunity perhaps , and that opportunity is gone.A redo of the Eastside could include a "Club Room" but I doubt the ROI.In any event plenty of questions to ask of DG ON THE 22ND.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:08 pm

appdaze wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:52 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:33 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:25 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:50 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:00 pm

Bingo. It lost tens of thousands every year.

I get the adage of having to spend money to make money, but right now, there are more pressing needs to spend money on that will also make money (i.e. east side renovations).
The original room was a complete give away, so sure it lost money. My suggestion is that the sell food and beverage. You could do the set up, clean up and even some of the staffing with players and coaches from non football sports. You could even pitch it as a way for those coaches and athletes to get exposure to the members. The food could be done by vendors. You may have to pay for bar tenders. I don’t know the NEZ layout but surely the ballroom could be separated or another room could be used. This is just a matter of a lack of vision or no desire to accommodate the non NEZ Club members.
I get it. Trust me. But our Yosef Club staff is already working 75+ hours a week on game weeks and making in the $30,000s (at least the ones that would run this kind of event). It's not fair to add another task in to their plate when they're already spread so thin.

Also, there is only one bar in the NEZ. So, splitting the room means someone gets left out of that benefit they paid for. Unless the department spends more money to get another bar. Then paying staff, etc. It's not cheap to do.

It's not a lack of vision (for this idea). It's a lack of people resources to pull it off and having other items to spend money on that will make more money.
There are a bunch of Club members who expected the NEZ to be the new Club room. Some of them are tired of hearing why we can’t, and want to hear a solution. There are solutions people just have to want to make it happen. The NEZ can and should be used to enhance the Clubs profile. You don’t need a permanent bar and you really don’t need to divide the room. Club members aren’t bunch of yahoos. They have enough sense to leave the area at a prescribed time. And you could always use arm bands. Black stays in the room and Gold leaves 30 minutes before game time. The other sports could do a lot of the heavy lifting and potentially get a greater share of the profits. For instance, tell the baseball coach his team is responsible for the room this week and for that his program gets a certain percent of the profits. Him and his team also get to host, giving them a chance to meet and impress members. It’s about thinking outside the box. Have a 50/50 raffle or a silent action for donated stuff. It’s could be a chance for some of these other coaches and athletes to get people excited about their programs.
When alcohol is involved anyone can become a problem, especially when told to leave a location. That would be asking for trouble. Not enough money would be made off of that after costs are taken out for it to be worth it for a coach to bring in their teams. Also, this isn't high school. Many of these players spend a tremendous amount of time at various practices, studying for classes, and working jobs. They already have a huge amount on their plates without asking them to strut around like the red light district when they could be making money, bettering their studies, testing, or enjoying the game and getting to be a student.

If you want the perks then give more money. That is how these things work. I am not a NEZ donator level so I am speaking as an "outsider." People pay that kind of money to have a more private venue to enjoy the game, not have to deal with 500+ people swarming all around almost to game time. I'm pretty sure the people that do this stuff for a living have consider the pros and cons of all available options.
We have six home games per year. How many other than football teams do we have? It would be one day out of a year for these athletes and coaches. I would think they would want to meet some of the folks who help pay for their scholarships. Not that I want them to feel indebted to me but some good relationships might form. Folks might actually become interested in some of the other sports at App. I can tell you that if I was a coach I would love the opportunity and if I was on scholarship, even at 20 something, I would have been thankful enough to have been glad to spend a day with the folks helping pay for my education.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:51 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:08 pm
appdaze wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

The original room was a complete give away, so sure it lost money. My suggestion is that the sell food and beverage. You could do the set up, clean up and even some of the staffing with players and coaches from non football sports. You could even pitch it as a way for those coaches and athletes to get exposure to the members. The food could be done by vendors. You may have to pay for bar tenders. I don’t know the NEZ layout but surely the ballroom could be separated or another room could be used. This is just a matter of a lack of vision or no desire to accommodate the non NEZ Club members.
I get it. Trust me. But our Yosef Club staff is already working 75+ hours a week on game weeks and making in the $30,000s (at least the ones that would run this kind of event). It's not fair to add another task in to their plate when they're already spread so thin.

Also, there is only one bar in the NEZ. So, splitting the room means someone gets left out of that benefit they paid for. Unless the department spends more money to get another bar. Then paying staff, etc. It's not cheap to do.

It's not a lack of vision (for this idea). It's a lack of people resources to pull it off and having other items to spend money on that will make more money.
There are a bunch of Club members who expected the NEZ to be the new Club room. Some of them are tired of hearing why we can’t, and want to hear a solution. There are solutions people just have to want to make it happen. The NEZ can and should be used to enhance the Clubs profile. You don’t need a permanent bar and you really don’t need to divide the room. Club members aren’t bunch of yahoos. They have enough sense to leave the area at a prescribed time. And you could always use arm bands. Black stays in the room and Gold leaves 30 minutes before game time. The other sports could do a lot of the heavy lifting and potentially get a greater share of the profits. For instance, tell the baseball coach his team is responsible for the room this week and for that his program gets a certain percent of the profits. Him and his team also get to host, giving them a chance to meet and impress members. It’s about thinking outside the box. Have a 50/50 raffle or a silent action for donated stuff. It’s could be a chance for some of these other coaches and athletes to get people excited about their programs.
When alcohol is involved anyone can become a problem, especially when told to leave a location. That would be asking for trouble. Not enough money would be made off of that after costs are taken out for it to be worth it for a coach to bring in their teams. Also, this isn't high school. Many of these players spend a tremendous amount of time at various practices, studying for classes, and working jobs. They already have a huge amount on their plates without asking them to strut around like the red light district when they could be making money, bettering their studies, testing, or enjoying the game and getting to be a student.

If you want the perks then give more money. That is how these things work. I am not a NEZ donator level so I am speaking as an "outsider." People pay that kind of money to have a more private venue to enjoy the game, not have to deal with 500+ people swarming all around almost to game time. I'm pretty sure the people that do this stuff for a living have consider the pros and cons of all available options.
We have six home games per year. How many other than football teams do we have? It would be one day out of a year for these athletes and coaches. I would think they would want to meet some of the folks who help pay for their scholarships. Not that I want them to feel indebted to me but some good relationships might form. Folks might actually become interested in some of the other sports at App. I can tell you that if I was a coach I would love the opportunity and if I was on scholarship, even at 20 something, I would have been thankful enough to have been glad to spend a day with the folks helping pay for my education.
All of that sounds great and makes sense. It just can’t be done in the NEZ on Football game days.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:01 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

I highly doubt the vast majority of these players care about meeting you. That's awfully self righteous to think you are that important to them. If given the choice I'm sure the vast majority would rather go enjoy the game or other activities than meet some old dude and have awkward small talk with a person who thinks they should gravel at their feet. C'mon man. You say they shouldn't feel indebted to you yet you then go on to say they should thank you for their scholly. Why don't you just selflessly give instead of expecting your boot to be kicked in return. If you already pay into the Yosef club and some athlete shaming your hand and having meaningless small talk with you is what it takes to get interested in another sport then you never gave a legit crap to begin with and won't afterward.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:03 pm

I'm not in the loop on all the construction. What all is going to be out behind the press box where the tennis courts etc once we're? Could something be built there for non NEZ members to get her? Or do something in the new quad area between the dorms?

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:20 pm

appdaze wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:03 pm
I'm not in the loop on all the construction. What all is going to be out behind the press box where the tennis courts etc once we're? Could something be built there for non NEZ members to get her? Or do something in the new quad area between the dorms?
Eventually, a parking deck at the old tennis courts. Whenever they redo Sofield, I imagine a lot of pre-gaming will be had there.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:51 pm

appdaze wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:01 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

I highly doubt the vast majority of these players care about meeting you. That's awfully self righteous to think you are that important to them. If given the choice I'm sure the vast majority would rather go enjoy the game or other activities than meet some old dude and have awkward small talk with a person who thinks they should gravel at their feet. C'mon man. You say they shouldn't feel indebted to you yet you then go on to say they should thank you for their scholly. Why don't you just selflessly give instead of expecting your boot to be kicked in return. If you already pay into the Yosef club and some athlete shaming your hand and having meaningless small talk with you is what it takes to get interested in another sport then you never gave a legit crap to begin with and won't afterward.

I’m not looking for anybody to grovel at my feet. I do think a thanks would be nice. You have a really odd way of looking at things. Truth is these young people should be grateful for the opportunity they get from the Yosef Club dues. I really see something like this as a chance to grow the relationship between the Club members and the student athletes. I will say this, if the students benefiting from the Club donation are too busy or too ungrateful to spend a few hours out of a year meetings the people who donated then they probably don’t deserve the scholarship. That not me making myself important or me wanting to have them grovel at my feet. That’s just a matter of common decency.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:58 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:51 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

All of that sounds great and makes sense. It just can’t be done in the NEZ on Football game days.
So where can it be done? Not being a smart ass. You just seem to know a lot. The folks I tailgate with aren’t small donors, mid level, and I can tell you that to this day half of them complain about not having a club room on game day. I’m sincerely just trying to offer up an idea for what’s bothering them. I really don’t care much about it myself but if half of my crowd is bothered by it then there a a bunch more like them.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:05 pm

Will they really use it or are they just complaining about not having a meeting room??? My group would end up staying at the tailgate and "talking" about we should go to YC meeting room.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:31 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

So where can it be done? Not being a smart ass. You just seem to know a lot. The folks I tailgate with aren’t small donors, mid level, and I can tell you that to this day half of them complain about not having a club room on game day. I’m sincerely just trying to offer up an idea for what’s bothering them. I really don’t care much about it myself but if half of my crowd is bothered by it then there a a bunch more like them.
I don’t have an answer to YOUR problem. You and your buddies may want a hospitality room, but as history as shown, it isn’t a popular extra to the majority. Least of all, as a money pit, the administration isn’t going to do it. Feel free to float suggestions to the AD and see what they tell you. Me and a couple of guys lobbied the coaches and administrators to start up a Spring game event around football last year. We even put together a proposal with proforma and presented it. They did nothing. I get that you and your buddies feel that the NEZ should be used for your purpose, but unless they have $750k to rent it out and offset the revenue lost from NEZ ticket holders, it isn’t an option. My advice to you and your buddies is to find something else to grouse about.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:32 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:51 pm
appdaze wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

I’m not looking for anybody to grovel at my feet. I do think a thanks would be nice. You have a really odd way of looking at things. Truth is these young people should be grateful for the opportunity they get from the Yosef Club dues. I really see something like this as a chance to grow the relationship between the Club members and the student athletes. I will say this, if the students benefiting from the Club donation are too busy or too ungrateful to spend a few hours out of a year meetings the people who donated then they probably don’t deserve the scholarship. That not me making myself important or me wanting to have them grovel at my feet. That’s just a matter of common decency.
There we go again...."these young people" blah blah blah. When you were in school did you walk up to the custodians and demand to know why they hadn't thanked for your tuition and tax money that provided them a job? Do you expect fire, police, and teachers to hang out with you and thank you for paying your taxes that create their jobs? How about getting off your high horse and understand that no one owes you anything and move on. Better yet, why don't you go to a baseball game and cheer like hell. Then afterward high-five the players in support and expect nothing in return. Man....that mentality of yours where you mask self-centered arrogance behind an imaginary view of "decency" and who deserves what is unfortunate. I know you will never understand any of this and that is even more unfortunate.

Never expect or demand thanks for your free choice of donating to any cause. If that is what you expect then you are donating for your ego not to help our athletes.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:47 pm

Football players have full time jobs playing football...and make quite a bit of money for the school...maybe we should be grateful they chose App. St...contribute as much as we are capable....and thank them for the opportunity for choosing App. St.....instead of thinking they have an obligation or should be thanking us for their Scholly ...
If you see them around campus or in town .be cordial and say thank you.... instead of expecting a thank you from them...
I would think they are thankful and humbled by the opportunity to play a game and attend a university to better themselves,... whether in classroom, on the field and/or in the community....
No need to require them to hang out with fans..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:51 pm

Sounds like quite a few Type A personalities need to calm down and be a little nicer to each other. I think it would be great to meet some of the athletes. Not to thank me. If some of the athletes would open up about their routines and what they go through, possibly more would be interested in attending some of these other sports events.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:01 pm

If you look at the Instagrams of many winter and spring sport student athletes, they go to the football games. If you give them free food and passes with a suggestion that they schmooze NEZers for an hour pregame, it probably would be fine.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:03 pm

appdaze wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:32 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:51 pm
appdaze wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appdaze wrote:

There we go again...."these young people" blah blah blah. When you were in school did you walk up to the custodians and demand to know why they hadn't thanked for your tuition and tax money that provided them a job? Do you expect fire, police, and teachers to hang out with you and thank you for paying your taxes that create their jobs? How about getting off your high horse and understand that no one owes you anything and move on. Better yet, why don't you go to a baseball game and cheer like hell. Then afterward high-five the players in support and expect nothing in return. Man....that mentality of yours where you mask self-centered arrogance behind an imaginary view of "decency" and who deserves what is unfortunate. I know you will never understand any of this and that is even more unfortunate.

Never expect or demand thanks for your free choice of donating to any cause. If that is what you expect then you are donating for your ego not to help our athletes.
One last time, my suggestion isn’t really about a thanks from the athletes. It was and is about a chance to build relationships. If a thanks is made from either side, well that works too.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:43 pm
hapapp wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:23 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

My suggestion is that you buy a ticket, if you haven’t already, and sit up there for a game and pay attention to the logistics involved in getting in and monitoring access.

Food and beverage is already available for purchase in the NEZ for ticket holders and my guess is that any one wanting to come in and rub elbows would not be willing to pay $12 for nachos and $8 for a soda.

As stated above, folks pay a premium to have an experience that involves a handful of people and not the masses. Would you be willing to pay $750 per person to have access, on top of your donation? Because that’s what it costs, at a minimum to get in.
My guess is no as that price tag is just for access and doesn’t include food and drink
The "masses"? It must be nice to be among the privileged. :P
You are free to integrate the phrase any way you want. I’m not calling anyone a “peasant” or feeling superior. I don’t have to fight through thousands of people to get concessions, go to the restroom, or just generally move around. If you see that as privileged, then we have different definitions of the word. Privileged insinuates that it is given to me. I had the same opportunity as you and anyone else on here to purchase the seats. I didn’t get them through any methods not afforded to everyone.
I thought my emoji would make it clear that my post was just a light-hearted jab. I don't think folks who choose to/or have the ability to purchase seats in the NEZ are privileged per se. I just thought the use of the word "masses" seemed odd in that moment.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:19 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:31 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appdaze wrote:

I don’t have an answer to YOUR problem. You and your buddies may want a hospitality room, but as history as shown, it isn’t a popular extra to the majority. Least of all, as a money pit, the administration isn’t going to do it. Feel free to float suggestions to the AD and see what they tell you. Me and a couple of guys lobbied the coaches and administrators to start up a Spring game event around football last year. We even put together a proposal with proforma and presented it. They did nothing. I get that you and your buddies feel that the NEZ should be used for your purpose, but unless they have $750k to rent it out and offset the revenue lost from NEZ ticket holders, it isn’t an option. My advice to you and your buddies is to find something else to grouse about.
Well this board has pretty much deteriorated into another place where if you question anything you’re to be attacked. It’s was a suggestion. Maybe it’s not feasible, I’m open to that being the case but I’m certainly not the only person who has asked about having a Club room. And again, if you actually read my post you would know that it’s not all that important to me. I like sitting with the “masses” in the west side stands and drinking my Budweiser and bourbon in the parking lot. I bought a seat in the covered seats on the west side one time. Worst game experience I’ve ever had at KBS. That said I do have great seats in 204 but the folks I sit around aren’t annoyed by me actually watching and being enthusiastic about the game. But I’m also ok with you buying the privilege to be in the NEZ away from the “masses”. To each his own.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:28 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:19 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:31 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Well this board has pretty much deteriorated into another place where if you question anything you’re to be attacked. It’s was a suggestion. Maybe it’s not feasible, I’m open to that being the case but I’m certainly not the only person who has asked about having a Club room. And again, if you actually read my post you would know that it’s not all that important to me. I like sitting with the “masses” in the west side stands and drinking my Budweiser and bourbon in the parking lot. I bought a seat in the covered seats on the west side one time. Worst game experience I’ve ever had at KBS. That said I do have great seats in 204 but the folks I sit around aren’t annoyed by me actually watching and being enthusiastic about the game. But I’m also ok with you buying the privilege to be in the NEZ away from the “masses”. To each his own.
Nobody attacked you. It was a suggestion and when people said it wasn't possible you doubled down and said "yes it is! You just have to think outside of the box!" while admittedly not knowing anything about the setup of the NEZ. This board is about discussion. That's what we're doing. If the discussion not going your way means attacking, then sure, that's what happened. But, that's not what happened....
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:16 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:43 pm
hapapp wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:23 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

My suggestion is that you buy a ticket, if you haven’t already, and sit up there for a game and pay attention to the logistics involved in getting in and monitoring access.

Food and beverage is already available for purchase in the NEZ for ticket holders and my guess is that any one wanting to come in and rub elbows would not be willing to pay $12 for nachos and $8 for a soda.

As stated above, folks pay a premium to have an experience that involves a handful of people and not the masses. Would you be willing to pay $750 per person to have access, on top of your donation? Because that’s what it costs, at a minimum to get in.
My guess is no as that price tag is just for access and doesn’t include food and drink
The "masses"? It must be nice to be among the privileged. :P
You are free to integrate the phrase any way you want. I’m not calling anyone a “peasant” or feeling superior. I don’t have to fight through thousands of people to get concessions, go to the restroom, or just generally move around. If you see that as privileged, then we have different definitions of the word. Privileged insinuates that it is given to me. I had the same opportunity as you and anyone else on here to purchase the seats. I didn’t get them through any methods not afforded to everyone.
I thought my emoji would make it clear that my post was just a light-hearted jab. I don't think folks who choose to/or have the ability to purchase seats in the NEZ are privileged per se. I just thought the use of the word "masses" seemed odd in that moment.
My apologies. Have a good day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”