Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2023 Yosef Club Town Hall Meeting, March 22

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2023 Yosef Club Town Hall Meeting, March 22

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:33 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:50 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:00 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:26 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:04 pm
I want to know when or if Club members will get to use the NEZ. I have suggested they open up a room and sell food, drinks and exclusive Yosef Club apparel. I understand they stop the old Club room to save money. This could actually generate income.
I doubt this happens. The ballroom is open two hours before the game for NEZ ticket holders. It would be difficult to police who is there for what. I realize that this could generate income, but the original idea of a YC hospitality room did not earn money which is likely the reason why it was stopped.
Bingo. It lost tens of thousands every year.

I get the adage of having to spend money to make money, but right now, there are more pressing needs to spend money on that will also make money (i.e. east side renovations).
The original room was a complete give away, so sure it lost money. My suggestion is that the sell food and beverage. You could do the set up, clean up and even some of the staffing with players and coaches from non football sports. You could even pitch it as a way for those coaches and athletes to get exposure to the members. The food could be done by vendors. You may have to pay for bar tenders. I don’t know the NEZ layout but surely the ballroom could be separated or another room could be used. This is just a matter of a lack of vision or no desire to accommodate the non NEZ Club members.
The space isn’t set up to accommodate what you are suggesting. It’s nice in theory but it can’t work. In addition to the reasons that were cited above.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:59 am

You have to respect the young people working in our Athletics Department.
Living in the High Country isn't cheap, and they do a ton of great work while making very little money.

These folks are SUPER passionate about App State Athletics. It's pretty much TIGMA personified.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:41 am

We really have people working for us in 2023 full time making 30k? I know most of them have a college degree at that.....

I think state employees get pretty good benefits, but that's $14 bucks an hour if they're working only 40 hours which I doubt they are. They could make more going down the mountain and working as a cashier at Target.....we really do have no money. I take back every complaint I've ever had about the department if that's all we pay them.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:46 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:41 am
We really have people working for us in 2023 full time making 30k? I know most of them have a college degree at that.....

I think state employees get pretty good benefits, but that's $14 bucks an hour if they're working only 40 hours which I doubt they are. They could make more going down the mountain and working as a cashier at Target.....we really do have no money. I take back every complaint I've ever had about the department if that's all we pay them.
Yes. Some in the high 20's. Which is why there is tremendous turnover in the department every year.

One of the people that just left on another venture in a completely different industry doubled their salary and is still only making low 50s -- with a masters degree.. and 40 hour work weeks guaranteed.

What we get done with the amount of money we really have is unreal. This is why its so important to continue growing Yosef Club. People don't understand what an extra $50k (1,000 new donors at $50 a year) a year looks like for the bottom line.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:50 am

I regularly look at the job postings at the university. The pay scales are ridiculously low. There are some jobs asking for Master's degrees and starting at less than $40k. I considered a job there once, but it would have required me to take a 50% pay cut from what I was making in industry. If the state of NC doesn't get more competitive with wages, App won't be able to hire any decent employees.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:44 am

appst89 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:50 am

I regularly look at the job postings at the university. The pay scales are ridiculously low. There are some jobs asking for Master's degrees and starting at less than $40k. I considered a job there once, but it would have required me to take a 50% pay cut from what I was making in industry. If the state of NC doesn't get more competitive with wages, App won't be able to hire any decent employees.
I've got an MS in sports management and I'm not currently using it for this very reason. Then COVID financial budget cuts have made it all worse. I was hoping to work my way into and up the collegiate athletic world but I'm not sure that's going to happen at this point. I can't justify pay cuts with a family to feed.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:51 am

Without knowing anything at the pay or benefits, I had assumed most YC jobs are considered entry-level positions based on the turnover and the fact that usually when I see them announce a new hire, it appears to be a recent grad or close to it.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:07 am

The comment section is interesting as well. Quite a bit of unrest it would appear to outside eyes.

https://theappalachianonline.com/salary ... rofessors/

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:11 am

The compensation at the University for many jobs were below market prior to pandemic. Just my opinion.
Once you add the pandemic and post-pandemic cost of housing increase for the area, it makes it even worse in my opinion. With that said, many areas are feeling the effects of post pandemic increase cost of housing. Some industries have made some efforts to address compensation, however, not sure I have seen many that have increased compensation at the rate of housing cost and inflation, etc.
Hopefully things work itself out. I would hate to see the university lose some great professors and other professionals that work at App given the cost of living concerns.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:31 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:11 am
The compensation at the University for many jobs were below market prior to pandemic. Just my opinion.
Once you add the pandemic and post-pandemic cost of housing increase for the area, it makes it even worse in my opinion. With that said, many areas are feeling the effects of post pandemic increase cost of housing. Some industries have made some efforts to address compensation, however, not sure I have seen many that have increased compensation at the rate of housing cost and inflation, etc.
Hopefully things work itself out. I would hate to see the university lose some great professors and other professionals that work at App given the cost of living concerns.
True, and that's everywhere. The phrase "starter home" should be thrown out the window. Anyone who can afford a home in todays market is relatively wealthy, and I mean truly afford, not buy and become house poor immediately.

I truly don't see how the numbers make sense to live in the high country on less than 70k a year, and that's pushing it. It's just an expensive place to live.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:33 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:25 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:04 pm
I want to know when or if Club members will get to use the NEZ. I have suggested they open up a room and sell food, drinks and exclusive Yosef Club apparel. I understand they stop the old Club room to save money. This could actually generate income.
I doubt this happens. The ballroom is open two hours before the game for NEZ ticket holders. It would be difficult to police who is there for what. I realize that this could generate income, but the original idea of a YC hospitality room did not earn money which is likely the reason why it was stopped.

I get the adage of having to spend money to make money, but right now, there are more pressing needs to spend money on that will also make money (i.e. east side renovations).
The original room was a complete give away, so sure it lost money. My suggestion is that the sell food and beverage. You could do the set up, clean up and even some of the staffing with players and coaches from non football sports. You could even pitch it as a way for those coaches and athletes to get exposure to the members. The food could be done by vendors. You may have to pay for bar tenders. I don’t know the NEZ layout but surely the ballroom could be separated or another room could be used. This is just a matter of a lack of vision or no desire to accommodate the non NEZ Club members.
I get it. Trust me. But our Yosef Club staff is already working 75+ hours a week on game weeks and making in the $30,000s (at least the ones that would run this kind of event). It's not fair to add another task in to their plate when they're already spread so thin.

Also, there is only one bar in the NEZ. So, splitting the room means someone gets left out of that benefit they paid for. Unless the department spends more money to get another bar. Then paying staff, etc. It's not cheap to do.

It's not a lack of vision (for this idea). It's a lack of people resources to pull it off and having other items to spend money on that will make more money.
There are a bunch of Club members who expected the NEZ to be the new Club room. Some of them are tired of hearing why we can’t, and want to hear a solution. There are solutions people just have to want to make it happen. The NEZ can and should be used to enhance the Clubs profile. You don’t need a permanent bar and you really don’t need to divide the room. Club members aren’t bunch of yahoos. They have enough sense to leave the area at a prescribed time. And you could always use arm bands. Black stays in the room and Gold leaves 30 minutes before game time. The other sports could do a lot of the heavy lifting and potentially get a greater share of the profits. For instance, tell the baseball coach his team is responsible for the room this week and for that his program gets a certain percent of the profits. Him and his team also get to host, giving them a chance to meet and impress members. It’s about thinking outside the box. Have a 50/50 raffle or a silent action for donated stuff. It’s could be a chance for some of these other coaches and athletes to get people excited about their programs.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:52 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:33 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I get it. Trust me. But our Yosef Club staff is already working 75+ hours a week on game weeks and making in the $30,000s (at least the ones that would run this kind of event). It's not fair to add another task in to their plate when they're already spread so thin.

Also, there is only one bar in the NEZ. So, splitting the room means someone gets left out of that benefit they paid for. Unless the department spends more money to get another bar. Then paying staff, etc. It's not cheap to do.

It's not a lack of vision (for this idea). It's a lack of people resources to pull it off and having other items to spend money on that will make more money.
There are a bunch of Club members who expected the NEZ to be the new Club room. Some of them are tired of hearing why we can’t, and want to hear a solution. There are solutions people just have to want to make it happen. The NEZ can and should be used to enhance the Clubs profile. You don’t need a permanent bar and you really don’t need to divide the room. Club members aren’t bunch of yahoos. They have enough sense to leave the area at a prescribed time. And you could always use arm bands. Black stays in the room and Gold leaves 30 minutes before game time. The other sports could do a lot of the heavy lifting and potentially get a greater share of the profits. For instance, tell the baseball coach his team is responsible for the room this week and for that his program gets a certain percent of the profits. Him and his team also get to host, giving them a chance to meet and impress members. It’s about thinking outside the box. Have a 50/50 raffle or a silent action for donated stuff. It’s could be a chance for some of these other coaches and athletes to get people excited about their programs.
When alcohol is involved anyone can become a problem, especially when told to leave a location. That would be asking for trouble. Not enough money would be made off of that after costs are taken out for it to be worth it for a coach to bring in their teams. Also, this isn't high school. Many of these players spend a tremendous amount of time at various practices, studying for classes, and working jobs. They already have a huge amount on their plates without asking them to strut around like the red light district when they could be making money, bettering their studies, testing, or enjoying the game and getting to be a student.

If you want the perks then give more money. That is how these things work. I am not a NEZ donator level so I am speaking as an "outsider." People pay that kind of money to have a more private venue to enjoy the game, not have to deal with 500+ people swarming all around almost to game time. I'm pretty sure the people that do this stuff for a living have consider the pros and cons of all available options.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:23 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

My suggestion is that you buy a ticket, if you haven’t already, and sit up there for a game and pay attention to the logistics involved in getting in and monitoring access.

Food and beverage is already available for purchase in the NEZ for ticket holders and my guess is that any one wanting to come in and rub elbows would not be willing to pay $12 for nachos and $8 for a soda.

As stated above, folks pay a premium to have an experience that involves a handful of people and not the masses. Would you be willing to pay $750 per person to have access, on top of your donation? Because that’s what it costs, at a minimum to get in.
My guess is no as that price tag is just for access and doesn’t include food and drink

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:40 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:23 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

My suggestion is that you buy a ticket, if you haven’t already, and sit up there for a game and pay attention to the logistics involved in getting in and monitoring access.

Food and beverage is already available for purchase in the NEZ for ticket holders and my guess is that any one wanting to come in and rub elbows would not be willing to pay $12 for nachos and $8 for a soda.

As stated above, folks pay a premium to have an experience that involves a handful of people and not the masses. Would you be willing to pay $750 per person to have access, on top of your donation? Because that’s what it costs, at a minimum to get in.
My guess is no as that price tag is just for access and doesn’t include food and drink
The "masses"? It must be nice to be among the privileged. :P

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:49 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Reminds of the guy who posted here a few months ago that he was shifting all of his athletic giving to a D2 school close to his home because they made him feel like his contribution was appreciated. He was probably one of the undesirable masses too.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:53 pm

If someone is making 14/hr, that's an issue, since the minimum wage for state employees is 15/hr, and cafeteria is starting workers at 17/hr. Several areas on campus have been very taken care of post-pandemic (mostly departments that threatened to walk out) while other have received retention bonus bumps. I can not speak for the faculty side. The issue is inflation is still rising. As far as housing, 150 1 and 2 bed units are going up on Bodenheimer, for mostly faculty. It is stated as being below market value. A company will build it, and oversee it, if I'm correct. This thread is kinda all over the place, but hope this helps answer some things.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:23 pm

Judging by the 2023 seating chart versus 2022, there's more masses than before.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:43 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

You are free to integrate the phrase any way you want. I’m not calling anyone a “peasant” or feeling superior. I don’t have to fight through thousands of people to get concessions, go to the restroom, or just generally move around. If you see that as privileged, then we have different definitions of the word. Privileged insinuates that it is given to me. I had the same opportunity as you and anyone else on here to purchase the seats. I didn’t get them through any methods not afforded to everyone.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:56 pm

Not sure about particular titles, etc. However, I am a NEZ holder. On game days prior to the games, there are tables set out for folks to sit down and eat, etc. However, not enough tables at peak times. The room is not as large as one would think after setting up for food, etc. Adding more people to the equation would make it worse from a congestion perspective.
Having less of a crowd for food lines and having more access to tables inside a building to sit down .. especially for the wife when inclement weather....is why I paid the premium to have access to the NEZ. Giving more people access would reduce my perceived benefit of what I signed up for....I do not think makes someone privileged or whatever term one wants to use...I just see it as the benefit I paid for and part of the inquiries I made before joining. May sound harsh, however, I do not believe I should have to share with someone that is not paying full NEZ price....
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:07 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:23 pm
Judging by the 2023 seating chart versus 2022, there's more masses than before.

Yikes!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”