Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wyoming Game

Bootsy
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wyoming Game

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:06 am

Really want to make it to this game, if possible. My company's HQ is located in Boulder and I've spent quite a bit of time out there.
Just happens to occur during the time of year when I do a lot of work-related travel. So we'll see.

But I have a problem: whenever I visit that part of the country, it is VERY difficult to leave. I love living in NC but if my employer ever gave me a chance to relocate to Boulder, I'd have to give it some serious consideration.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:05 am

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:06 am
Really want to make it to this game, if possible. My company's HQ is located in Boulder and I've spent quite a bit of time out there.
Just happens to occur during the time of year when I do a lot of work-related travel. So we'll see.

But I have a problem: whenever I visit that part of the country, it is VERY difficult to leave. I love living in NC but if my employer ever gave me a chance to relocate to Boulder, I'd have to give it some serious consideration.
Agree. I love it out there.

Lowcountry App

Unread post by Lowcountry App » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:36 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:05 am
Bootsy wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:06 am

Agree. I love it out there.
My wife’s family is all out west. Mainly in Utah and Idaho. She has some family in Boise and I keep hoping we’ll get a game scheduled at Boise State. We would definitely make that trip.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:21 am

Been in the Denver metro now for the last 8 years. Happy to answer any travel related question to the area as well. Pearl St in Boulder is great people watching
Red Rocks Ampitheater west of Denver is a must. Went to Laramie for the first time last year. Doesn't hold a candle to Boone IMO. Drinking alcohol at altitude is scientifically proven to be a myth as it does not change your BAC. Dehydration out here is real due to the lack of humidity though. Drink lots of water the couple days before you come and throughout your stay.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:06 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:21 am
Been in the Denver metro now for the last 8 years. Happy to answer any travel related question to the area as well. Pearl St in Boulder is great people watching
Red Rocks Ampitheater west of Denver is a must. Went to Laramie for the first time last year. Doesn't hold a candle to Boone IMO. Drinking alcohol at altitude is scientifically proven to be a myth as it does not change your BAC. Dehydration out here is real due to the lack of humidity though. Drink lots of water the couple days before you come and throughout your stay.
Thanks. Did not even think about Red Rocks. Will need to track if any concerts going on during the trip
Just curious as we do not want to stay in city...where are the best hiking spots between Denver and surrounding area? We may be interested in staying near good hiking areas.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:59 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:06 pm
ASUPATCH wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:21 am
Thanks. Did not even think about Red Rocks. Will need to track if any concerts going on during the trip
Just curious as we do not want to stay in city...where are the best hiking spots between Denver and surrounding area? We may be interested in staying near good hiking areas.
According to this article it is a combination of the alcohol and altitude sickness that are the culprit for feeling the way you do when you drink at altitude. https://www.winetraveler.com/travel-res ... %20higher.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:39 pm

Well, i doubt anyone needs to worry about altitude sickness. I have experienced both Wyoming v. App at Laramie in 2004 i think, and altitude sickness at 14,000 ft when skiing once in Colorado. Although in Some ways a hangover and alt sickness are similar; except that alt sickness is much worse. By alot.

Its best described like seasickness, where they say there are two great fears; 1) youre gonna die; and 2) youre NOT gonna die. Kinda like that. But at 7000 ft this shouldnt be a problem for a Mountaineer. Just drink 4 or 5 times the amount of water you normally do and youll be fine.

And yes we r going to Laramie this year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:49 pm

I was out in Denver and my fat a$$ didn’t have much of an issue.

app_gorilla

Unread post by app_gorilla » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:31 am

A2534 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:18 pm
app_gorilla wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:17 pm
I live in Laramie and would be happy to answer any local questions as we get closer. @AppWyo, where do you live out here?

I love the War and can't wait to attend for once as a 'visitor'.
@App_gorilla do you recommend any camp grounds in or near town and stadium? A buddy from Denver is planning to pull his camper up for us! Hoping for a big App crowd for the weekend!

Looks like the hotels are sold out.

Are ubers generally available in the area or should we plan on other transportation?
Sorry for the late response! I'm not used to logging in and checking in the offseason haha. Good news is there is tons of free camping around, I camp in Vedauwoo all the time. It's free and most areas are < 15 mins back to Laramie. There's also Curt Gowdy which has a small fee. There's probably other campgrounds around as well that I'm not aware of, but I'd check out Vedauwoo first. The scenery is really 'odd' and it's a really cool place to spend a few nights. The best spots off Vedauwoo road definitely fill up in the fall but I've never driven even the main road and not seen a couple openings.

app_gorilla

Unread post by app_gorilla » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:37 am

AppWyo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:34 pm
app_gorilla wrote:
I live in Laramie and would be happy to answer any local questions as we get closer. @AppWyo, where do you live out here?

I live in Climax, North Carolina. I went to the University of Wyoming after I graduated from App. After being in Boone for four years I wanted to see the West without being a tourist. I was in Laramie in September to celebrate the 100+2 Epsilon Delta chapter of the social fraternity I joined while attending the University of Wyoming. So, I am both a Mountaineer and a Cowboy. It was the same weekend that App beat Texas A&M, Marshall beat Notre Dame, and Georgia Southern beat Nebraska. I sat behind someone that grew up in Charlotte and attended UNC-Ch.
Climax, NC: proud home of App State legend #69 Josh Cockman (2004).

I love Laramie! It's great you went to school here. I've been enjoying having a second team to root for whose losses I can handle a whole lot easier than App's.

Cool tradition for those of y'all coming here early: Friday night on home games the band comes through the main bars on 2nd and 3rd street (Library, Bonds, etc) and plays the fight song at volume 113. The fight song is long and I've only learned about half of it so far, but you'll hear it very loud in the bars.

This is going to be a heck of a game.
Last edited by app_gorilla on Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

app_gorilla

Unread post by app_gorilla » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:51 am

The best beer in Laramie is definitely Bonds. It's actually one of my favorite breweries of all time. Check out the Scottish Ale. The stout is good too, but IMO Altitude across the street has a better one. Their Rhuberry is amazing.

The food in Laramie is hit or miss. IMO the best steak house is Cavalryman's. It's also extremely "Wyoming." Altitude is #2, fancier and newer but the steaks are too thin for my taste. I would not go to Chophouse, they've really gotten bad. The best thing there is the sliders they do with pretzel buns, the steak (and service) sucks. It's right by the stadium though and the bartenders will give you shit if you're wearing App gear, so have fun with that if you'd like. The last time I was there they served my girlfriend raw chicken, so you've been warned.

Born in a Barn is probably the don't miss restaurant, it got a lot of airtime when Guy Fieri came through town in 2021. Get the nachos.

J's is great for breakfast but gets nightmare crowded on the weekends, especially gamedays. If you want a good breakfast Sunday morning, A Good Egg is your best choice. You can sit on the Accomplice (bar) side. Their breakfast is very good.

For some reason, we have three (and counting) sushi restaurants. Niko is my personal favorite, they combine traditional Japanese stuff with Wyoming (brisket rolls? delicious).

Oh and strangely we have an excellent Indian restaurant right off 80/3rd. Extremely good.

app_gorilla

Unread post by app_gorilla » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:11 am

Laramie is home to great hiking, most of the best of which is in the Snowy Range, or around the Vedauwoo area. Definitely check out the Medicine Bow Peak hike, it's what the Grandfather profile hike is around Boone: clearly the best hike, but a bit tough. Turtle Rock and some of the Gowdy hikes are much easier and still pretty solid.

If folks have multiple extra days, Saratoga nearby is amazing. Tons and tons of hiking around, and there's a bunch of hot spring resorts. My favorite is home to Snowy Range brewery, and they've got this central hot springs area with teepees that you can drink in until all hours of the night. Definitely a fun weekend. It'll be a bit cold by September, but floating the North Platte is also a ton of fun.

ASUGrad2014

Unread post by ASUGrad2014 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:00 pm

Can’t wait for this game! I think my wife and I are going to try to make all 12 games this year.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:00 pm

app_gorilla wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:37 am
AppWyo wrote:
app_gorilla wrote:

I live in Climax, North Carolina. I went to the University of Wyoming after I graduated from App. After being in Boone for four years I wanted to see the West without being a tourist. I was in Laramie in September to celebrate the 100+2 Epsilon Delta chapter of the social fraternity I joined while attending the University of Wyoming. So, I am both a Mountaineer and a Cowboy. It was the same weekend that App beat Texas A&M, Marshall beat Notre Dame, and Georgia Southern beat Nebraska. I sat behind someone that grew up in Charlotte and attended UNC-Ch.

I love Laramie! It's great you went to school here. I've been enjoying having a second team to root for whose losses I can handle a whole lot easier than App's.

Cool tradition for those of y'all coming here early: Friday night on home games the band comes through the main bars on 2nd and 3rd street (Library, Bonds, etc) and plays the fight song at volume 113. The fight song is long and I've only learned about half of it so far, but you'll hear it very loud in the bars.

The University of Wyoming has two fight songs. Ragtime Cowboy Joe and Fight, Wyoming, Fight https://www.uwyo.edu/alumni/about-the-uwaa/songs.html

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:14 am

AppWyo wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:00 pm
app_gorilla wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:37 am
AppWyo wrote:
app_gorilla wrote:

The University of Wyoming has two fight songs. Ragtime Cowboy Joe and Fight, Wyoming, Fight https://www.uwyo.edu/alumni/about-the-uwaa/songs.html
If you have two songs, they say you have none.. let the Wyoming smack talk begin...🤣🤣🤣🤣
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:47 am

What is the best airline to use and where is the best place to fly to? I keep seeing Denver. Thanks.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:28 am

AppState89 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:47 am
What is the best airline to use and where is the best place to fly to? I keep seeing Denver. Thanks.
When we booked 2 months ago, to Denver from Charlotte, the majority of American Airlines flights were practically empty. In fact, our chosen flight out (on 9/21) we were the first people booked. There were only 2 or 3 seats booked for the flight back on Sunday morning. Roughly $500/per for main cabin (I have enough status to get a complementary upgrade to main cabin extra).

The drive from Denver is ~2 hours to Laramie.
Give 'em hell!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:58 am

AppState89 wrote:
Denver is a hub for United so you should be able to find at least one direct flight from your origination point. From Charlotte you have American that has direct flights. It an easy and quite nice drive up to Laramie from there. Bring your walking shoes and some patience because it is a hike from the gates to the terminal to the rental car place at the airport.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:35 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:58 am
AppState89 wrote:
Denver is a hub for United so you should be able to find at least one direct flight from your origination point. From Charlotte you have American that has direct flights. It an easy and quite nice drive up to Laramie from there. Bring your walking shoes and some patience because it is a hike from the gates to the terminal to the rental car place at the airport.
I think Frontier's hub is Denver as well but can't book flights until 6 months out

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:13 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:35 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:58 am
AppState89 wrote:
I think Frontier's hub is Denver as well but can't book flights until 6 months out
I used to like Frontier.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”