Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Spring Ball

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Spring Ball

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:29 pm

Tru2ASU wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:51 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:34 pm
Tru2ASU wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:30 pm
To me, it seems, App refuses to get involved in much of the NIL. Which is fine, but will be a hindrance if it takes years for the NCAA to reign in.
Technically speaking, App can’t get involved in NIL outside of speaking in generalities and working with donors to promote the need. The reality is that outside of pocket money for the athletes, there isn’t much opportunity for a huge payday on the mountain.
So, they couldn't work with a third party like most Universities and do things, such as signings, and video messages? When I asked, I was told they did not have the infrastructure, currently.
There was a Zoom call a couple of months ago with the YC members. At the end of the call, Doug Middleton got on and talked about the NIL collective and asked for any business owners to consider joining or using the athletes. That would constitute a third party involvement that you suggest. So it seems as though they have engaged and gotten involved. So a lack of traction doesn’t necessarily mean a refusal. I get the assumption that we aren’t pushing it based on results, but if the reason given is a lack of infrastructure, given our other issues with getting things organized, it doesn’t surprise me.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:54 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:29 pm
Tru2ASU wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Tru2ASU wrote:
To me, it seems, App refuses to get involved in much of the NIL. Which is fine, but will be a hindrance if it takes years for the NCAA to reign in.
Technically speaking, App can’t get involved in NIL outside of speaking in generalities and working with donors to promote the need. The reality is that outside of pocket money for the athletes, there isn’t much opportunity for a huge payday on the mountain.
So, they couldn't work with a third party like most Universities and do things, such as signings, and video messages? When I asked, I was told they did not have the infrastructure, currently.
There was a Zoom call a couple of months ago with the YC members. At the end of the call, Doug Middleton got on and talked about the NIL collective and asked for any business owners to consider joining or using the athletes. That would constitute a third party involvement that you suggest. So it seems as though they have engaged and gotten involved. So a lack of traction doesn’t necessarily mean a refusal. I get the assumption that we aren’t pushing it based on results, but if the reason given is a lack of infrastructure, given our other issues with getting things organized, it doesn’t surprise me.
Updates on NIL talks are on the agenda for the Mountaineer tour, so fingers crossed.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:14 pm

It seems like a great opportunity for the business school to offer internships. Let students be like acting agents for the players. Give them a desk and a phone. (This is how I started my career...a desk and a phone). Give the students/interns an Agent fee/commission for finding the deals for the players. The players could interview interns and decide on their agent.

If the players make it to the NFL....it will be very similar.
If a player at app is big time enough he could hire a professional agent with approval for commercials to run through APP. This is where App has to be easy to work with or hard to work with. I don't know what is best for the school. A trademark like AppState can be ruined with the wrong NIL commercial/spokesperson.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:36 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:14 pm
It seems like a great opportunity for the business school to offer internships. Let students be like acting agents for the players. Give them a desk and a phone. (This is how I started my career...a desk and a phone). Give the students/interns an Agent fee/commission for finding the deals for the players. The players could interview interns and decide on their agent.

If a player at app is big time enough he could hire a professional agent with approval for commercials to run through APP. This is where App has to be easy to work with or hard to work with. I don't know what is best for the school. A trademark like AppState can be ruined with the wrong NIL commercial/spokesperson.
Great idea as long as the rules allow it. Win win.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:48 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:29 pm
Tru2ASU wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Tru2ASU wrote:
Link to the NIL exchange/collective info.

https://dash.inflcr.com/exchange/appala ... university

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:55 am

Saw NCAA prez Emmett left - Charlie Baker is in. Seems to have a good reputation. Interested to see what comes of this and all of the issues at the present time.

Parks&RecAPP

Unread post by Parks&RecAPP » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:31 am

Can we get back to talking about spring practice? Any updates?

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:53 am

Parks&RecAPP wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:31 am
Defense seems to be improving a lot already - especially up front - according to Clark's comments this week.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:57 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:53 am
Parks&RecAPP wrote:
Defense seems to be improving a lot already - especially up front - according to Clark's comments this week.
We'll see. He said the same thing last year. At this point in spring ball, defense should be dominating and it doesn't seem to be the case... Could mean our offense is going to be really good. Could also mean our defense just has a ways to go.

We do have significantly more length and size on the ends which definitely helps, but what Clark is saying right now is the same thing every coach says in spring ball.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:00 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:57 am
ASUFan4863 wrote:
Parks&RecAPP wrote:
We'll see. He said the same thing last year. At this point in spring ball, defense should be dominating and it doesn't seem to be the case... Could mean our offense is going to be really good. Could also mean our defense just has a ways to go.

We do have significantly more length and size on the ends which definitely helps, but what Clark is saying right now is the same thing every coach says in spring ball.
Where do you think the discrepancies on defense are at the moment to not be dominating?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:13 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:00 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
ASUFan4863 wrote:
Parks&RecAPP wrote:

Where do you think the discrepancies on defense are at the moment to not be dominating?
I'm not sure. I have not been to a practice yet this spring. Hoping to get to one next week. It's very possible they are dominating and Clark is just giving kudos to the offense for a confidence boost. All reports have shown it's pretty balanced so far though -- which, is concerning for me but I'm hopefully over thinking it.

Every single coach is going to say "we look amazing. Have to fix some things, but we are really looking good" in spring ball.

Honestly, spring ball is more about weeding out the weak than anything. These sessions will show the coaches who the dawgs are. These sessions will show who is willing to do more than expected. These sessions will show the players and coaches who they can lean on throughout the season.
tAPPedInSports.net

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:38 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:14 pm

While I like your thoughts to a degree, having undergrad students serve as agents is a bad idea to put it mildly. The level of legal knowledge that one should have to properly advise and counsel clients before signing contracts would be completely lacking in these interns. Not to mention the other aspects like taxation, labilities, etcs. The players that are wading into NIL need real professionals who can give real advise.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:02 pm

Parks&RecAPP wrote:
It happened.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:14 am

AppStateNews wrote:
ASUFan4863 wrote:
Parks&RecAPP wrote:

What exactly is a defense doing/allowed to do at this point in Spring practice that would indicate that they are ahead or behind? How much tackling is involved? I can see if receivers are burning defensive backs in drills- that would not be good. If defensive linemen are getting stuffed at the line in drills- also not good. How wide open does it get?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:42 am

I would assume the metrics in Spring Practice is at individual level. Did the guy do what he is supposed to technique-wise? Is his foot work and hand/arm work good. Stuff that coaches are watching as fundamentals. I am not a coach but thinking out loud along with some other’s points above. Who is working their butts off when not in spot light? That stuff.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:01 am

How do the safeties look?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:19 am

Sounds like every pass thrown in practice 8 was intercepted.....that concerns me.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:30 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:19 am
Sounds like every pass thrown in practice 8 was intercepted.....that concerns me.
Don't be concerned.. yet. I was there. While the defense did pick off 3 or 4 passes, they were on plays designed to make the offense fail to see how the offense does on broken plays.

Overall, QBs looked solid. They made a couple bad decisions, but again, literally every offensive play was called to fail. So, 3-4 of the 50+ plays isn't bad considering you won't see that in a game.

Additionally, it's good film for the QBs to work through. Once the scripted fail plays were done, offense looked really good.

Our d line should not be as big of a concern this year. We have a few monsters out there. Depth in the middle could be a concern, but as of now, it looks good.
tAPPedInSports.net

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:19 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Most likely test plays to see if they would work against certain defensive schemes. Different route combos, blocking schemes, etc...If the plays don't work against those schemes, we throw them out. Spring ball is a good time to test these so we know what works/doesnt work against certain defenses.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:12 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:30 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Don't be concerned.. yet. I was there. While the defense did pick off 3 or 4 passes, they were on plays designed to make the offense fail to see how the offense does on broken plays.

Overall, QBs looked solid. They made a couple bad decisions, but again, literally every offensive play was called to fail. So, 3-4 of the 50+ plays isn't bad considering you won't see that in a game.

Additionally, it's good film for the QBs to work through. Once the scripted fail plays were done, offense looked really good.

Our d line should not be as big of a concern this year. We have a few monsters out there. Depth in the middle could be a concern, but as of now, it looks good.
Excellent feedback. thank you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”