Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CBS Sports rates 3rd year head coaches

AppWyo
School: Appalachian State

Re: CBS Sports rates 3rd year head coaches

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:49 pm

I believe that the team was used up in September. However, App may have gotten better in the long run as a result of the recruits that chose App over some other school because of September.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:58 pm

Traditional Appalachian teams get stronger as the season goes, our record in November has always been very strong. Looking forward to see how the S&C move pays off.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:19 pm

FBS has changed us.

7 years ago as FCS we wouldn't have been mentioned in this article and all the posts would be chest thumpers claiming how we are better than ... and we need to move up
Today as FBS we get mentioned with decent accolades and 100% of the posts are "we suck", fire the coach and we should be demoted.

You boys are too much.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:35 pm

mike87 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:19 pm
FBS has changed us.

7 years ago as FCS we wouldn't have been mentioned in this article and all the posts would be chest thumpers claiming how we are better than ... and we need to move up
Today as FBS we get mentioned with decent accolades and 100% of the posts are "we suck", fire the coach and we should be demoted.

You boys are too much.
I think it's both fair and entirely accurate to say that last year was very disappointing and below the standards we are accustomed to. I had asked even before the season started what would be the reaction if (heaven forbid) we went 8-4. So many unrealistic fans have expected 10+ wins a year. Hardly anyone can sustain that kind of success. Obviously we won a game we should have lost (Troy) and lost a few we should have won (pick at least 3). The knee jerk guys who call for firings are not reasonable. We will be fine and next season will be great!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:06 pm

#BeatGWRB

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:54 pm

CBS Sports review of our 3 years is a very different perspective from a fan base from the lense of a perennial powerhouse. Two bowl games and in the conference championship game is what most programs would crave. However, we, App St, fans have a different lense where 6-6 is a major disappointment. I get it the grade of Bish by CBS Sports that their lense is not black and gold. I also get our lense is black and gold and we have much higher expectations. As such, we may not agree with CBS.
My personal opinion is that it may be difficult
to get to 9 wins in 2023 given schedule and potentially a freshman starting QB. I hope we exceed expectations.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:14 pm

I think some of us who long for the good old days of Satt and Drink and even Jerry are overlooking just how competitive the Sun Belt has become. In 10 years or so, we’ve gone from a good-but-not-great FCS conference to a weak FBS conference to now the nation’s top G5 conference. I’m not thrilled with 6-6, but I’m not losing sight of how our competition has evolved.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:30 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:14 pm
I think some of us who long for the good old days of Satt and Drink and even Jerry are overlooking just how competitive the Sun Belt has become. In 10 years or so, we’ve gone from a good-but-not-great FCS conference to a weak FBS conference to now the nation’s top G5 conference. I’m not thrilled with 6-6, but I’m not losing sight of how our competition has evolved.
Even Satt and Moore had their down years. I guess after the loss to UNC-Ch and win over Texas A&M everyone thought that we were going to a New Year's Six Bowl, so those unrealistic fans can say we should be in the ACC. That has yet to work for ECU...

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:03 pm

I think B- is fair, wouldn't argue with B. He did have 2 pretty good years before this season. But this season brings the grade down, no championships...that's the biggie...NO CHAMPIONSHIPS... in his entire 3 years, a downward trajectory for the program, and a clearer and wider separation between us and top tier teams is concerning. This year is gonna tell us what we are. All the warning signs are there of turning into a perineal .500 team. I'm more concerned that we go 7-5 and go to a garbage bowl he stays another 5 years than I am taking us our medicine and going 4-8 and making the needed change.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:31 am

I hope if some of you guys get your way and Clark is fired or ran off, that the prospective coach candidates don't read this board and think this represents the fan base.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:34 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:54 pm
CBS Sports review of our 3 years is a very different perspective from a fan base from the lense of a perennial powerhouse. Two bowl games and in the conference championship game is what most programs would crave. However, we, App St, fans have a different lense where 6-6 is a major disappointment. I get it the grade of Bish by CBS Sports that their lense is not black and gold. I also get our lense is black and gold and we have much higher expectations. As such, we may not agree with CBS.
to get to 9 wins in 2023 given schedule and potentially a freshman starting QB. I hope we exceed expectations.
I can only speak for myself, but what truly makes this year disappointing is how well the season started compared to how anti-climactic the end was. If we had gone 7-7 with a win over Southern and a loss to a decent team in a bowl game, I would have felt better than I did going 6-6, losing to Stink, and missing a bowl entirely.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:49 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Claiming peers have gotten better than us isn't really a redeeming attribute.

JMU meltdown, CCU offensive gameplan, and GS ending were real eyesores and hard for me to stomach. The SBC is better, but shouldn't we be improving as well.

Expectations shouldn't be 10 wins every season, but I hope everyone also recognizes that 4-6 vs. FBS opponents is not acceptable either.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:51 am

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:34 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but what truly makes this year disappointing is how well the season started compared to how anti-climactic the end was. If we had gone 7-7 with a win over Southern and a loss to a decent team in a bowl game, I would have felt better than I did going 6-6, losing to Stink, and missing a bowl entirely.
Great post. When the season started many here said 8-4 would be a good season with what we lost. When we played UNCCH to OT and beat A&M expectations may have unnecessarily elevated, but 8-4 was still the bar for a good season.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:00 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:51 am
MrCraig wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:34 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Great post. When the season started many here said 8-4 would be a good season with what we lost. When we played UNCCH to OT and beat A&M expectations may have unnecessarily elevated, but 8-4 was still the bar for a good season.
The season has been sliced and diced so many times and overall the theme is- disappointing. Take out the 2 glorified scrimmage games and 8-4 is really 6-4. Overall that still would not have been terrible considering the roster and coaching changes we had to overcome. The ball just bounces crazy ways sometimes and it went against us unfortunately in a few games. We were a few plays from that 8-4 year. On the flip side you could probably look back over the last few seasons and find a couple of close wins that easily could have gone the other way.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:12 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:31 am
I hope if some of you guys get your way and Clark is fired or ran off, that the prospective coach candidates don't read this board and think this represents the fan base.
I hope they don't read it and think our fanbase can't use Google.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:12 am

Time to look forward.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:22 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:49 am
AppGrad78 wrote:
Claiming peers have gotten better than us isn't really a redeeming attribute.

JMU meltdown, CCU offensive gameplan, and GS ending were real eyesores and hard for me to stomach. The SBC is better, but shouldn't we be improving as well.

Expectations shouldn't be 10 wins every season, but I hope everyone also recognizes that 4-6 vs. FBS opponents is not acceptable either.
Hey you forgot to add getting the tar kicked out of us by a juggernaut Texas State.

“The conference getting better” has quickly joined the “it’s Drink’s fault” level of bad excuses.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:04 am

TX State was the only "unforgiveable" loss - JMU has been a very good team for a long, long time and they had the advantage of the Portal and additional scholarships - Yes, we let that game get away - CCU and GaSo are rivals where from year to year anything can happen - and add Marshall to that list -
the '23 season will be important for APP to compete for the Division champion but all those teams I named will right there with us -
Some always begged for a better conference and once we got it they bitch because we didn't win ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:17 am

mike87 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:19 pm
FBS has changed us.

You boys are too much.
Gotta call you out on this one. "100% of the posts are "we suck", fire the coach and we should be demoted."

You are definitely throwing a grenade in the room. Yes, some have said those things but the majority have said we were disappointed and tried to evaluate our situation with opinions that hopefully lead to a better program. BIG difference between those two positions. Just because folks don't see everything through rose colored glasses doesn't mean we want to fire everybody and burn the place down. I think it is reasonable to want and expect us to win the conference every year and be in the top 25. Will we, probably not but that should be our goals so we always strive to be the best G5 program in the nation. I will not apologize for setting my bar high. I bet you every coach and players feels the same.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:24 am

I expect to win every time we take the field.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”