Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Renewing Season Football Tickets

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Re: Renewing Season Football Tickets

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:29 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:20 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:21 am
BurkeGrad wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:45 am
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:34 pm
No, I get it, it's just frustrating. Wish I was rich. My own fault as I decided(called) to go into education.

I love App, but family comes 1st. I can make it work now, but at the end of the day if it comes down to a decision in the future, family wins as App tickets are a luxury.
I am a retired educator and this change is disturbing. I realize to compete on the field isn’t cheap but does App need to price out some longtime Yosef donors and season ticket holders. Maybe the athletic administration is courting alums and others that earn six figures annually; however, those aren’t the fans that have been filling the stadium in the last 15 years.
If making a Y.C. donation and therefore qualifying for 8 season tickets was an issue why couldn’t they cap the number of tickets per giving level? What am I missing here?
Aren’t they essentially putting caps on tickets with this model? If they said that giving $500 allows you to buy 4 tickets in these sections, would that not be the same thing?
This is way more expensive than a cap.

So my section last year was at the $250 lvl (sec 113) . Let's say they cap that section at 4 tickets. That would be at most $1250 total with tickets still at $250 a seat.
However, donation per ticket would mean now to keep those same 4 tickets the total cost would be $2000. (Assuming the minimum is still $250, but I'm not sure anymore). That's a $750 dollar difference between the two scenarios.

Let's say I want to purchase 8. Cap of 4 requires 2 donations. That equals $2500. vs per donation which would equal $4000 total. A $1500 difference.

I know $750 difference doesn't seem like much to several, but for some of us, it the difference in staying with 4 tickets and reducing to 2. Not to mention the inflation isn't making things better either.

Are there enough people waiting for season tickets that will take up all the lost season tickets from those like me who are reducing the total number of tickets??? I hope so from a revenue standpoint.
Worst case scenario though is that there isn't more demand than there is supply, bringing a reduction in season tickets sold. Not only are you hurting several season ticket holders but also losing revenue for the program, which is a double wham.
So through the grapevine I hear there is a 1000 person waiting list right now.

Tickets are still $250 just the donation to the YC goes up.

CoachRob
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by CoachRob » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:38 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:48 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:29 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:52 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:39 am
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:24 am

You have to consider this also. They have MUCH more TV money. I am VERY sure they are also the recipient of MUCH more giving. They have a larger stadium also. Here is the plain and simple fact. We wanted to play at this level so we have to pay for it. I agree it sucks that some who have been loyal for a long time may lose their seats but it also should not be a surprise. This is a very expensive undertaking and all the "Hundreds of millions" that football supposedly brings in just does not apply to G5.
100% agree and I said as much earlier in the thread. Comparison between App and a P5 just isn’t fair for the points stated. The chosen pricing model by the administration is the one that they feel is the one in the best interest of the needs of the program. Does it rub some people the wrong way? Sure. Is it fair and equitable to everyone? Not even close. But at the end of the day, they have expenses “X” and they need to do what they have too in order to cover them.
You guys are spot on.FBS is expensive and getting only moreso.There is another option -drop back down to FCS.I don't see an appetite for that on here ,I could be wrong.When we made the move up I doubled my annual giving as I told them I would , and have more than doubled that amount again including an increase this year . There are things I no longer spend money on to offset the difference.Everyone is free to choose but if we want to compete , we have to invest.
Is investing a "only this way" kind of street??? And I ask that in thinking of outside the box to bring in revenue that doesn't count on the rich to give more money.
Selling more season tickets would bring in more revenue I assume, I feel this can be done by: a) promoting App State football to alumni & fans to buy season tickets. (Curious as to what % of Alumni purchase season tickets) & b) making tickets affordable for a larger # of fans to purchase. I'm not an economist here, but I feel there's a point where we're going to set a demand that's too high even for some of the most loyal.

PS: Since you mention cutting back, how do y'all explain to your wife that we aren't going out to eat this weekend, or let's not do Christmas presents, so we can save for App State football tickets? lol
Allow me to ask this question. What is so unreasonable about the current pricing model? It is one of the cheapest season ticket prices currently out there. Even with the $100 per seat donation, it is on par with ECU.

Given that we just had a record year in season ticket sales and we sold out 6 of 7 home games, and there is a waiting list (allegedly) for season tickets, I don’t see where we have reached past demand. Again, we understand your situation and there is empathy for you. But to say that we aren’t making it affordable for a larger # of fans is simply not true.

Again let me say that I understand your position and current circumstances. It really seems that your entire argument centers around your wants. If you can’t afford the price tag, that’s understandable and no one should fault you for putting family first. If you need tickets for a game, I’ve got a couple in 212 that I would be more than happy to sell you whenever you can go.
I don't think it's the best model TBH. A cap makes more sense. How many people buy multiple tickets but will have to cut some tickets bought to continue on the same budget? And is there enough of a demand to compensate the possible loss of season ticket purchases from current holders with this new model? I don't have the answer, but if there are many like me, probably not.

To seriously answer your question, I was taken by surprise by these changes as I already had a plan in place when I went to purchase my tickets again this year, and now I am having to adjust. I'm sure we were informed and I missed it, but didn't like having to make the decision to go from 4 to 2 tickets to stick with the budget I had planned out. As I am frustrated now, I'm sure I will adjust over the course of the year and be ready to cheer on the Apps this fall. I hate having to give up the luxury of the extra tickets, and seeing how this may impact other donors as well as new ones, when I think there may be a better model to use for football tickets.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:00 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:38 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

100% agree and I said as much earlier in the thread. Comparison between App and a P5 just isn’t fair for the points stated. The chosen pricing model by the administration is the one that they feel is the one in the best interest of the needs of the program. Does it rub some people the wrong way? Sure. Is it fair and equitable to everyone? Not even close. But at the end of the day, they have expenses “X” and they need to do what they have too in order to cover them.
You guys are spot on.FBS is expensive and getting only moreso.There is another option -drop back down to FCS.I don't see an appetite for that on here ,I could be wrong.When we made the move up I doubled my annual giving as I told them I would , and have more than doubled that amount again including an increase this year . There are things I no longer spend money on to offset the difference.Everyone is free to choose but if we want to compete , we have to invest.
Is investing a "only this way" kind of street??? And I ask that in thinking of outside the box to bring in revenue that doesn't count on the rich to give more money.
Selling more season tickets would bring in more revenue I assume, I feel this can be done by: a) promoting App State football to alumni & fans to buy season tickets. (Curious as to what % of Alumni purchase season tickets) & b) making tickets affordable for a larger # of fans to purchase. I'm not an economist here, but I feel there's a point where we're going to set a demand that's too high even for some of the most loyal.

PS: Since you mention cutting back, how do y'all explain to your wife that we aren't going out to eat this weekend, or let's not do Christmas presents, so we can save for App State football tickets? lol
Allow me to ask this question. What is so unreasonable about the current pricing model? It is one of the cheapest season ticket prices currently out there. Even with the $100 per seat donation, it is on par with ECU.

Given that we just had a record year in season ticket sales and we sold out 6 of 7 home games, and there is a waiting list (allegedly) for season tickets, I don’t see where we have reached past demand. Again, we understand your situation and there is empathy for you. But to say that we aren’t making it affordable for a larger # of fans is simply not true.

Again let me say that I understand your position and current circumstances. It really seems that your entire argument centers around your wants. If you can’t afford the price tag, that’s understandable and no one should fault you for putting family first. If you need tickets for a game, I’ve got a couple in 212 that I would be more than happy to sell you whenever you can go.
I don't think it's the best model TBH. A cap makes more sense. How many people buy multiple tickets but will have to cut some tickets bought to continue on the same budget? And is there enough of a demand to compensate the possible loss of season ticket purchases from current holders with this new model? I don't have the answer, but if there are many like me, probably not.

To seriously answer your question, I was taken by surprise by these changes as I already had a plan in place when I went to purchase my tickets again this year, and now I am having to adjust. I'm sure we were informed and I missed it, but didn't like having to make the decision to go from 4 to 2 tickets to stick with the budget I had planned out. As I am frustrated now, I'm sure I will adjust over the course of the year and be ready to cheer on the Apps this fall. I hate having to give up the luxury of the extra tickets, and seeing how this may impact other donors as well as new ones, when I think there may be a better model to use for football tickets.
I completely get the issue and the frustrations. But I would ask (with compassion) how long can anyone expect to get the same thing for the same price? $1000 in 2023 isn't what it was in 2013. No one can get the same thing for $1 that the could ten years ago.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:24 pm

CoachRob wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

So what would you say to a plan that was a cap and that cap allowed for someone that gives $500 to purchase 2 seats? That’s still $1000 and you only get two instead of your usual 4. Say that in order to purchase 4 tickets you had to give $1000. Same cost as the current plan that you laid out above. Again, not picking on you are looking to argue and tell you that you are wrong. Much respect for putting your family first. It’s a frustrating situation that isn’t going to have a solution that benefits everyone.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:24 pm
CoachRob wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

So what would you say to a plan that was a cap and that cap allowed for someone that gives $500 to purchase 2 seats? That’s still $1000 and you only get two instead of your usual 4. Say that in order to purchase 4 tickets you had to give $1000. Same cost as the current plan that you laid out above. Again, not picking on you are looking to argue and tell you that you are wrong. Much respect for putting your family first. It’s a frustrating situation that isn’t going to have a solution that benefits everyone.
So the minimum donation for tickets with parking pass was $250. So now you're saying it should be doubled to $500??? Meaning ones cost has now gone up 25% in 1 year? I'd say that's absurd.

I don't think it's as much the raw number as it is the % of increase most will have to pay, especially those who have more than 2 tickets, with a per seat donation. You can change all the numbers around to fit whatever the total cost for this year will be, but whatever number that is will be a huge % increase for everyone with more than two tickets to keep same seats & section. I'm afraid the % of increase is too large for the average fan.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:50 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:00 pm
CoachRob wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

I completely get the issue and the frustrations. But I would ask (with compassion) how long can anyone expect to get the same thing for the same price? $1000 in 2023 isn't what it was in 2013. No one can get the same thing for $1 that the could ten years ago.
I totally agree.
However, the % of increase for most season ticket holders is way too high of a jump in 1 year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:06 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

So the minimum donation for tickets with parking pass was $250. So now you're saying it should be doubled to $500??? Meaning ones cost has now gone up 25% in 1 year? I'd say that's absurd.

I don't think it's as much the raw number as it is the % of increase most will have to pay, especially those who have more than 2 tickets, with a per seat donation. You can change all the numbers around to fit whatever the total cost for this year will be, but whatever number that is will be a huge % increase for everyone with more than two tickets to keep same seats & section. I'm afraid the % of increase is too large for the average fan.
I guess we will find out this season.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:16 pm

I will say again that I don't like this. Now with that said what I have not seen ( I may have missed ) is a plan on how you pay the bills.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:36 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:16 pm
I will say again that I don't like this. Now with that said what I have not seen ( I may have missed ) is a plan on how you pay the bills.
Your bills?

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:41 pm

I wonder if the increase would have been more had we been 10-2 or 11-1 and gone bowling, as opposed to being 6-6?

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:46 pm

Not to downplay App State football or everyone's concerns, it's also important to remember that these are first world problems. Many will have to make tough decisions. This has been a long time coming. For those who can afford to continue with season tickets it is still a great bargain.
WE ARE YOSEF!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:47 pm

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:41 pm
I wonder if the increase would have been more had we been 10-2 or 11-1 and gone bowling, as opposed to being 6-6?
My understanding is that it was announced to be more but was reduced after the season.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:48 pm

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:41 pm
If you go to the MAF it outlines the payments going forward. This hike was planned a year ago.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:00 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:36 pm
bcoach wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:16 pm
Your bills?
No not my bills. The cost of running the program.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:04 pm

CoachRob wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

What about the people who were giving more than the minimum? Were they just chumps? Someone gives $2000 and gets two season tickets, was that a mistake? Personally, I think that season ticket sales will go down, but so what? That frees up single game tickets. This forum is constantly filled with "buid this, fix that". That isn't free, and what's worse than asking season ticket holders to pay up is expecting student fees to cover it.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:56 pm

If you're worried about parking, just park in faculty and staff parking, or even better, just park on the sidewalks and in between buildings, which was very popular last year.

I say this in jest.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:11 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:04 pm
CoachRob wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

What about the people who were giving more than the minimum? Were they just chumps? Someone gives $2000 and gets two season tickets, was that a mistake? Personally, I think that season ticket sales will go down, but so what? That frees up single game tickets. This forum is constantly filled with "buid this, fix that". That isn't free, and what's worse than asking season ticket holders to pay up is expecting student fees to cover it.
Those who have donated more than the minimum have set themselves up to not be affected by this increase. Many have done so for better parking (and that's where they may feel some pain). Some just like to see the program succeed. I'm glad everyone doesn't just give the minimum for what they want.
WE ARE YOSEF!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:39 pm

There's a little philanthropic value too. I don't give to the church just to get into Heaven, and I don't give to App just to get in Kid Brewer (Heaven on earth). But I won't turn down either place.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:44 pm

I may be wrong, however, my personal opinion is that season ticket sales will not decline. App. St. now has a student population over 20,000 each year and that may increase with the Hickory satellite campus. As such, new interest by the kids parents and the kids themselves will keep demand steady. Some of this may be a revolving door that some give up season tickets when child graduates and some will keep them.
However, I think it will be adequate to keep a steady demand. Time will tell.
The primary obstacles to keeping demand are a couple of items 1. Winning product on the field and 2 decent opponents periodically coming to Boone (EasyU, UNC, etc.)

I totally understand that some may have to make a tough decision to move on one day and it may be me at some point.

Although it may be me one day that has to make that tough decision to not renew, I hope the demand is well more than expected this year and every year that I can enjoy watching App St in person or on tv.... primarily due to fact that I think it is for overall betterment on the program long-term. Is money the end all be all to make a team successful. No. However, without it, you do not have much of a chance.
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:11 pm

No way ticket sales decrease at all. The opponents coming up the mountain the next 5 years will generate a ton of sales, and the Sun Belt is much more competitive with recent additions. Waiting list is legit, and will probably continue to increase.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”