Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Renewing Season Football Tickets

Saint3333

Re: Renewing Season Football Tickets

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:01 pm

Thanks for supporting Yosef.

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:26 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:28 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:06 pm
Short-term thinking leads to long-term problems.
94 is a johnny come lately. He may get his wish and get to hob nob even more with the powers that be as more and more leave. More power to him. It makes him feel good about himself to be able to park somewhere special. He claims it is good for the program based on his 4 years of experience.
I do not know you or '94, however based on your quotes below....App St would have coaches making peanuts, not keep winning coaches and relegate back to FCS. Hopefully you are not put it in charge of fundraising, the ticket allotment and how parking passes are determined.

"I love some AppState but I loved it just as much at the FCS level..I was all for moving up but I think we can compete without spending a fortune. There are people willing to coach football for less money and going 6 - 6 with true "college athletes" is just fine with me. Growth is not always good."

" It shouldn't be our goal to hold on to a winning coach."
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:43 pm

Great points and I agree...I should not be in charge. some of the examples above are just reality, people are leaving. I am a realist. If a p5 comes calling for our coach we can't compete financially. I would like to hold on to our winning coaches, but we can only offer so much. I stand by my statements. A winner at the FCS should be able to win at App. We have what we need to win. More money for bigger name coaches is not always the answer. Plenty of examples to back it up.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:59 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 pm
It's not my personal needs, it's those that came before me that are being impacted. I likely replaced someone with higher points than me with last season's parking assignments honestly.

The solution is simple, use priority points for parking location and seat location blocks. If you fall in a points range you get Champions, Stadium Deck, Justice, etc. then within those lots your current year levels matter.

If a new donor doesn't like their place they have the opportunity to up their donation to rank higher versus their peers. The point system is weighted heavily towards current year giving, look up the formula.

The solution is readily available.
Actually, that is a great solution. Set parking in April. Base it on the previous year’s priority points. YC/Season Ticket Holders have until the end of March to renew and meet their YC commitments.

Then, any late renewals/newcomers can fill the remaining spaces. If you don’t like the hand you are dealt, give more to ensure your place next year. If there are not enough spaces, those at the bottom are on a standby list

It rewards those who have built the program (not just through giving, but through year’s of buying season tickets (revenue), bought concessions (revenue), bought licensed apparel (revenue), recruited new season ticket holders, etc.

It also allows the next wave of donors to start climbing the ladder of priority points.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:52 am

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I understand the sentiment, I really do, but that model only works in theory. If I remember correctly, the Stadium Lot when it was around was numbered and your spot was predicated on your donation. The more you gave, the closer you got and ties were broken by priority points. Was that correct? That’s the model we use now.

We aren’t in a position to turn away someone willing to pay $3,000 today to placate a donor that gives a fraction of that.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:08 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:52 am
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I understand the sentiment, I really do, but that model only works in theory. If I remember correctly, the Stadium Lot when it was around was numbered and your spot was predicated on your donation. The more you gave, the closer you got and ties were broken by priority points. Was that correct? That’s the model we use now.

We aren’t in a position to turn away someone willing to pay $3,000 today to placate a donor that gives a fraction of that.
But are we in the position to kick a $2,000 donor with a pledge to increase 10% every year for a $500 donor? Because that happened last year. To more than one person.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:17 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:08 am
AppSt94 wrote:

But are we in the position to kick a $2,000 donor with a pledge to increase 10% every year for a $500 donor? Because that happened last year. To more than one person.
That was for parking right? That shouldn’t have happened. It seems that our record keeping was quite archaic. Hopefully they got it fixed this year. I do think that there will be a reset of the system in 2026 so Saint and Monkey can ascend to their rightful spots in Champions Lot.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:20 am

The deflection to my personal situation is a poor attempt to avoid a real solution versus your default position of every subject that the athletic department is perfect.

$3,000 donors will have access to parking.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:23 am

My solution:

Make more land.

But really, I've really tried to think about this to where we could satisfy people who like to tailgate in adjacent spots with their friends/family.

I do like the idea of it opening up based on your priority points. Go around and number the spots. I wouldn't number them based on "best to worst" in the event that we get a new lot one day that is better and then you'd have to renumber everything which would be a giant pain, just number them and then virtually rank them. Donor priority #1-#100 have a day, #101-#200 have the next day, so on and so forth. If you don't log in and pick on your day you'll still have access to following days but you obviously won't have as many places to pick, tough luck and learn to take some accountability on figuring things out IF the department gives appropriate info with appropriate notice (big IF).

This will require a LOT of communication, but it can be done. Not this year, it's too close already, but maybe next year.

If a donor absolutely wants to have spots together, they have the option to "buy" a spot in the priority point zone if they want to pony up the money, or they can wait until it reaches the day that the lower donor is able to pick a spot and they can log in at the same time and pick adjacent spots. This is the part I'm struggling with. I get that some people have been parking in the same spots every year for years and I'll admit that I'm not as empathetic as some, but we can't promise those spots forever based on good will. However, see below for exceptions to remedy this.

Exceptions:
1) If there has been a 15+ consecutive year donor, they should absolutely be guaranteed a spot. (Maybe 20+, maybe 10+, I'd have to have actual donor numbers to make that decision). Whatever that number is, make sure we hold that number of spots until all those people are accounted for. Guarantee the WORST spots, but still guarantee it.
2) If you're a brand new donor and you make X donation that is above a certain threshold, you get a guaranteed spot. Based on historical numbers, I would guess that number would be around 3k for a new donor, and I would guess we currently get less than 20 of those newbies a year.

If you're on the cusp of not getting a spot, you have two choices: 1) Donate more 2) Hope for the best

gsoappfan

Unread post by gsoappfan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:46 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:08 am
AppSt94 wrote:

I think there have been seriouse issues with how parking spots have been dealt out over the past couple years, especially last year. I don't have any inside information, but it's my assumption that a lot of the issues weren't tied to the rules in place to assign the spots. I think if the rules that are in place are followed, there are a lot less unhappy people. When they are scrambling in August to get parking assignments out, mistakes are going to be made, without a lot of time to fix them. Hopefully the process will be much improved this year.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:55 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:23 am
My solution:

Make more land.

But really, I've really tried to think about this to where we could satisfy people who like to tailgate in adjacent spots with their friends/family.

I do like the idea of it opening up based on your priority points. Go around and number the spots. I wouldn't number them based on "best to worst" in the event that we get a new lot one day that is better and then you'd have to renumber everything which would be a giant pain, just number them and then virtually rank them. Donor priority #1-#100 have a day, #101-#200 have the next day, so on and so forth. If you don't log in and pick on your day you'll still have access to following days but you obviously won't have as many places to pick, tough luck and learn to take some accountability on figuring things out IF the department gives appropriate info with appropriate notice (big IF).

This will require a LOT of communication, but it can be done. Not this year, it's too close already, but maybe next year.

If a donor absolutely wants to have spots together, they have the option to "buy" a spot in the priority point zone if they want to pony up the money, or they can wait until it reaches the day that the lower donor is able to pick a spot and they can log in at the same time and pick adjacent spots. This is the part I'm struggling with. I get that some people have been parking in the same spots every year for years and I'll admit that I'm not as empathetic as some, but we can't promise those spots forever based on good will. However, see below for exceptions to remedy this.

Exceptions:
1) If there has been a 15+ consecutive year donor, they should absolutely be guaranteed a spot. (Maybe 20+, maybe 10+, I'd have to have actual donor numbers to make that decision). Whatever that number is, make sure we hold that number of spots until all those people are accounted for. Guarantee the WORST spots, but still guarantee it.
2) If you're a brand new donor and you make X donation that is above a certain threshold, you get a guaranteed spot. Based on historical numbers, I would guess that number would be around 3k for a new donor, and I would guess we currently get less than 20 of those newbies a year.

If you're on the cusp of not getting a spot, you have two choices: 1) Donate more 2) Hope for the best
Funny 94 now agrees. Classic. Great post AWS.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:00 am

My solution:

Make more land.

Exceptions:

I like the concept in theory, but what about the people that have had festival parking for years even though they donate at a higher level than festival parking? Do they get screwed because they wanted to be with friends who could not donate more?
tAPPedInSports.net

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:02 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:00 am
I like the concept in theory, but what about the people that have had festival parking for years even though they donate at a higher level than festival parking? Do they get screwed because they wanted to be with friends who could not donate more?
I don't think so, at least in my mind the point about they can choose to wait until the lower donors window opens up to choose would solve that, or they could just choose festival parking when their window opens up regardless.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:04 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:00 am
My solution:

Make more land.

Exceptions:

Fair question and I think the answer is it comes down to choice. Carolina just implemented a reset of their parking and seat allocation last year and one of the rules of staying within groups that you want is that everyone call on the day assigned to the lowest donor based on priority.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:07 am

I guess my point is there is not going to be a system that appeases everyone. It's crappy but it's a good problem for App to have.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:13 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:07 am
I guess my point is there is not going to be a system that appeases everyone. It's crappy but it's a good problem for App to have.
Agree.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:29 am

It has been my experience that a lot of the ticketing/parking/Yosef problems are self-inflicted wounds. There appears to be inadequate staffing, inadequate training and no real sense of urgency to deal with people's problems.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:15 am

I like the idea. I do think, on exception 1, there should be minimum parameters in dollars given..just using for example purposes..a $50 a year donor for 15 years is not same as a $1000 a year donor. Although App should try to accommodate all donors that have a history of contributions, the cold hard truth is that may not be feasible. Maybe this is built in your priority points overview before the exception.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:18 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:15 am
I like the idea. I do think, on exception 1, there should be minimum parameters in dollars given..just using for example purposes..a $50 a year donor for 15 years is not same as a $1000 a year donor. Although App should try to accommodate all donors that have a history of contributions, the cold hard truth is that may not be feasible. Maybe this is built in your priority points overview before the exception.
Agree. Priority points should come into play at a peer level. Priority points should be the tie breaker between two $1,000 donors, not a $3,500 and a $500.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:57 pm

How about priority points are the tie breaker as long as you’re within two current year giving levels?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”