Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Renewing Season Football Tickets

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

Re: Renewing Season Football Tickets

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:33 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:00 pm
Form above "I love some AppState but I loved it just as much at the FCS level..I was all for moving up but I think we can compete without spending a fortune. There are people willing to coach football for less money and going 6 - 6 with true "college athletes" is just fine with me. Growth is not always good."

Ahh, no we do not..going 6-6 for an extended period of time will decimate the program to where there is zero support. If you want to not pay coaches and love football...maybe supporting the the local high school team is the way to go... Ship.has sailed. We are D-1 and that is not changing. If we want to keep coaches for an extended period of time, got to show them the money. .it is the reality of the world of college football. Will we lose some really good coaches to P5, sure, however, be nice to keep them 3 to 5 years if we can pay halfway decent. App. St. just happens to be in a very coveted geographic location...living costs have grown exponentially since pandemic where workers can reside anywhere...that impacts our coaches decision making process to stay or go...

There was an article in Triangle Business Journal earlier this week titled Mountain Towns..it was focused on changes in cost of living in mountain towns out West due to changes in cost of living from the migration from large cities as many do not have to reside to work in the city. As I was reading, I started thinking...this is Boone, Blowing Rock, The Jeffersons, Banner Elk, etc. If cost of living goes up exponentially, you got to pay to entice someone to come to the mountains to coach. It is what it is.
I hear you...but we went 6-6 this year with two FCS team wins (So kind of 4-6) and we paid the coaches pretty well. We got Scott Satterfield from FIU and didn't pay him or his staff a whole lot as they were rolling through the competition. I think looking for someone that is trying to prove themselves will make for better hires at our level.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:14 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:24 pm
mike87 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:11 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:12 pm
Parking is a commodity, not a perk. A $500 donor, regardless of length of time donating should not be in competition for a parking spot of a first time $3500 donor. Seniority, via priority points, should be an apples to apples determination.
For only $3500? I don't agree with that. A one-time $5000 maybe, or $10,000 sure but a history of $500 a year that totals $5000 is more valuable than a 1x $3500.
$3500 isn't swinging big enough.

And this is preferred parking, that's a perk. There's plenty of commodity parking all over town, comes with $20 and a hike. ;)
That $20 parking works both ways. Someone who gives $500 a year shouldn’t get parking closer to the stadium than someone giving $3500. Sorry, we are going to disagree.
This is the NASCARization of App football. I just hope it turns out better for us than it did for NASCAR. That long-time donor is a more valuable asset than the new guy with the fancy clothes; at least until the new guy proves himself. A 15 or 20 year $500 donor should absolutely get priority over a $3500 first-time donor, at least until the new guy proves himself.

I understand this is the way of the world. It's all about chasing the money. Some people are going to get left in the wake. That's just the way it is. I hope it works.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:31 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:33 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Form above "I love some AppState but I loved it just as much at the FCS level..I was all for moving up but I think we can compete without spending a fortune. There are people willing to coach football for less money and going 6 - 6 with true "college athletes" is just fine with me. Growth is not always good."

Ahh, no we do not..going 6-6 for an extended period of time will decimate the program to where there is zero support. If you want to not pay coaches and love football...maybe supporting the the local high school team is the way to go... Ship.has sailed. We are D-1 and that is not changing. If we want to keep coaches for an extended period of time, got to show them the money. .it is the reality of the world of college football. Will we lose some really good coaches to P5, sure, however, be nice to keep them 3 to 5 years if we can pay halfway decent. App. St. just happens to be in a very coveted geographic location...living costs have grown exponentially since pandemic where workers can reside anywhere...that impacts our coaches decision making process to stay or go...

There was an article in Triangle Business Journal earlier this week titled Mountain Towns..it was focused on changes in cost of living in mountain towns out West due to changes in cost of living from the migration from large cities as many do not have to reside to work in the city. As I was reading, I started thinking...this is Boone, Blowing Rock, The Jeffersons, Banner Elk, etc. If cost of living goes up exponentially, you got to pay to entice someone to come to the mountains to coach. It is what it is.
I hear you...but we went 6-6 this year with two FCS team wins (So kind of 4-6) and we paid the coaches pretty well. We got Scott Satterfield from FIU and didn't pay him or his staff a whole lot as they were rolling through the competition. I think looking for someone that is trying to prove themselves will make for better hires at our level.
And then he left because we couldn’t pay his assistants more.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:33 am

wb247 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:32 pm
Late to the conversation... only read a few pages.... I'll catch up on it later. Seems to me that a sliding scale would have been the way to go. Using the West side as an example, "x" amount gets you 1 seat in 204, 2 seats in 203/205, etc... "1.5x" amount gwts you 1 seat in 204, 3 seats in 203/105, etc... "2x" amount gets you 2 in 204, 4 in 203/205, etc... Alright. I'll keep reading the thread but I wanted to toss that out there if it isn't already.
Isn’t that what is being presented? If you give $500, you can buy 1 ticket in the Premium area and 1 in the end of the bleachers, or you can buy 2 together in the $250 section. That sounds like a sliding scale to me.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:37 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:50 pm
The priority points system is already weighted towards current year giving and future year pledges.

Once the donors equate to the same points it works out, which are the examples thus far.

However today parking lots are first determined by current giving level and then sorted by points.

You could have a 30 year donor that gave $1,000 for 10 years, $1,500 for 10 years, and $2,500 the last ten years get jumped by a $3,500 donor. That is where the system breaks down.
Long term donors should get a larger points multiplier than currently offered. Every 10 years should equate to a large bump in points as a thanks for someone's dedication. One thing people don't take into consideration is the rate of inflation over 10, 20, or 30 years. A $500 donation 30 years ago would be worth over $1,000 today.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:00 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:37 am
Saint3333 wrote:
The priority points system is already weighted towards current year giving and future year pledges.

Once the donors equate to the same points it works out, which are the examples thus far.

However today parking lots are first determined by current giving level and then sorted by points.

You could have a 30 year donor that gave $1,000 for 10 years, $1,500 for 10 years, and $2,500 the last ten years get jumped by a $3,500 donor. That is where the system breaks down.
Long term donors should get a larger points multiplier than currently offered. Every 10 years should equate to a large bump in points as a thanks for someone's dedication. One thing people don't take into consideration is the rate of inflation over 10, 20, or 30 years. A $500 donation 30 years ago would be worth over $1,000 today.
I like this idea even as I am not a long-term donor. Too many student loans had to be paid before I could get back in the donation game
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:06 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Isn’t there something like that already in place? I agree with you. I just don’t think parking assignments should be allocated by this method.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:21 am

I've decided that I will not be renewing my Yosef Club donation or buying my season tickets and I have started financially supporting Anderson University's new football program. Division II sports still feel like what college athletics should be. They appreciate donors at my level and make me feel like a real part of the effort.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:22 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Agreed on this.

Looking at the points list, we get a whopping 5 priority points for donating for 5 consecutive years.

Countered against the fact we get 6 priority points for a $100 dollar increase in donation from the previous year, you'd get more points going from an annual donation of $100 to $200 in one year than you would for donating $100 for 5 years straight.

That should probably be reworked. Maybe 10 points for every 5-year donation over $100, 50 points for every 5-year donation over $500, 100 points for every 5-year donation over $1000, and so on. Seems like this would encourage continuous annual giving more than it does currently.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:31 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:06 am
JTApps1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Isn’t there something like that already in place? I agree with you. I just don’t think parking assignments should be allocated by this method.
Yes, but it is a small bump. They should increase it by a greater amount.

What if they said lot minimums were a certain $$$ amount per year or number of points. The point threshold would need to be high for lots like Mountaineer, Justice, or Stadium Deck to make sure its as equal as possible, but this would at least offer some reward to very long term donors who might not be able to give as much currently.

I would still keep Champions, Top of the Rock, and Softball exclusive to the high rollers since many in those lots sit in the Club and Suite levels.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:43 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

This is a very solid point and I agree with you, except. The MAF can't be in the business of rewarding folks for doing the same thing they've been doing. How about some kind of longevity multiplier on annual increases. Something that rewards long-time donors AND increases.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:52 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:43 am
JTApps1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

This is a very solid point and I agree with you, except. The MAF can't be in the business of rewarding folks for doing the same thing they've been doing. How about some kind of longevity multiplier on annual increases. Something that rewards long-time donors AND increases.
They did this when we first went to FBS. That’s one way that I catapulted up the rankings.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:04 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:31 am
spacemonkey wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Nor could we pay Clark if he starts winning. It shouldn't be our goal to hold on to a winning coach. It should be our goal to find the next winning coach at the level below us.

P5 tv money is the difference not donation or attendance levels. It will make a difference if we are competing for g5 coaches but not against p5 schools.....the tv money difference is too large to overcome with local "seat buyers" to make up the difference. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Adding to the "Seat buyers/donors" is a great idea. Alienating the long term "seat buyer" is a bad idea. The long term "seat buyer" is the one creating the atmosphere that draws the new seat buyer. The long term "seat buyer" is the one that makes a recruit go "this atmosphere is electric". Wine and Cheese will get you the Tarheel atmosphere. Money matters but if you don't have it you better think outside the box.

By the way, Boston College, Miami, PennState, UNC, USC, Tennessee all have TV money and we beat or scared them with less money than we have now. Money is not the only variable in success.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:05 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:31 am
AppSt94 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

What if they said lot minimums were a certain $$$ amount per year or number of points. The point threshold would need to be high for lots like Mountaineer, Justice, or Stadium Deck to make sure its as equal as possible, but this would at least offer some reward to very long term donors who might not be able to give as much currently.

I would still keep Champions, Top of the Rock, and Softball exclusive to the high rollers since many in those lots sit in the Club and Suite levels.
That seems like a solid idea. Has anyone approached athletics about this? I was thinking along those same lines in that number your spaces for tracking purposes from high to low. For example, say there are 500 spots int the Stadium Deck. Label 1-100 for the roof and 101-500 for the deck. If Justice is you next lot and there are 150 spaces, label them 501-650 and so forth. Then you start down the list and say the person holding rank #234 picks before #235 and it goes down the list. If you get down to #235 and spot #187 is available, they can claim it to keep things flowing. Or they can choose to park with friends in spot #400 and it frees one up for someone to move up.

Of course, any idea will be a bad one for some people. The real issue with this method is that ranking becomes fluid and you can’t guarantee that you maintain tailgating groups year in and out. I know that the guys on top of the Library Deck punch above parking requirements to be there but they don’t want to move.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:35 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:05 am
JTApps1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

That seems like a solid idea. Has anyone approached athletics about this? I was thinking along those same lines in that number your spaces for tracking purposes from high to low. For example, say there are 500 spots int the Stadium Deck. Label 1-100 for the roof and 101-500 for the deck. If Justice is you next lot and there are 150 spaces, label them 501-650 and so forth. Then you start down the list and say the person holding rank #234 picks before #235 and it goes down the list. If you get down to #235 and spot #187 is available, they can claim it to keep things flowing. Or they can choose to park with friends in spot #400 and it frees one up for someone to move up.

Of course, any idea will be a bad one for some people. The real issue with this method is that ranking becomes fluid and you can’t guarantee that you maintain tailgating groups year in and out. I know that the guys on top of the Library Deck punch above parking requirements to be there but they don’t want to move.
I don't know if anyone has shared that as I just thought of it this morning. Perhaps someone else has discussed this with them before? There isn't a perfect system, but I do think we can improve on what we have. I know we have long term plans to expand the stadium so parking demand isn't going away.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:51 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:35 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:05 am
JTApps1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:

I don't know if anyone has shared that as I just thought of it this morning. Perhaps someone else has discussed this with them before? There isn't a perfect system, but I do think we can improve on what we have. I know we have long term plans to expand the stadium so parking demand isn't going away.
I’ve discussed it a little bit with them. I believe that there is a strong acknowledgement that a complete reset will be necessary in 2026.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:14 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:04 am
AppSt94 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Nor could we pay Clark if he starts winning. It shouldn't be our goal to hold on to a winning coach. It should be our goal to find the next winning coach at the level below us.

P5 tv money is the difference not donation or attendance levels. It will make a difference if we are competing for g5 coaches but not against p5 schools.....the tv money difference is too large to overcome with local "seat buyers" to make up the difference. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Adding to the "Seat buyers/donors" is a great idea. Alienating the long term "seat buyer" is a bad idea. The long term "seat buyer" is the one creating the atmosphere that draws the new seat buyer. The long term "seat buyer" is the one that makes a recruit go "this atmosphere is electric". Wine and Cheese will get you the Tarheel atmosphere. Money matters but if you don't have it you better think outside the box.

By the way, Boston College, Miami, PennState, UNC, USC, Tennessee all have TV money and we beat or scared them with less money than we have now. Money is not the only variable in success.
While I do agree with much that you have said, I take issue with the notion that our long term "seat buyer" creates the atmosphere, etc. Our student section is without question what creates the atmosphere at the Rock. It is the largest, loudest and most unified cheering section we have in the stadium. Those kids are always standing (probably because it is packed too tight to sit) and making noise. Say what you will but the rest of our fans pale significantly when compared to the student section. I am sure you and all of us have seen many examples of fans not standing, getting upset when fans in front of them stand, not making noise on third downs, etc. Our student section makes the Rock what it is and that is what the recruits notice. Again, I agree with most but strongly disagree that any "seat buyer" new or old makes the Rock what it is, it is the students.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:30 am

spacemonkey wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

You are right in that we can’t compete with P5 money. But Scott didn’t leave because of that. He asked for an increase in the salary pool for his assistants to make them the highest paid staff in the Sun Belt. That was probably an increase of less than < 500k to divide amongst his staff. In exchange, he said he would stay on until his kids were done with school, which would have been this year I believe. We couldn’t, so he didn’t.

I disagree with your “alienating the long term seat/buyer” comment. No one is alienating anyone. The bar has been raised and it is up to the individual to make the choice to either go under or over that bar. If it isn’t fiscally practical to keep up, that’s OK. You can’t hold up traffic because you feel an entitlement to putz around in the inside lane.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:58 am

"It shouldn't be our goal to hold on to a winning coach. It should be our goal to find the next winning coach at the level below us."

I disagree. Our goal should be to hold onto a winning coach as long as he fits the culture of program and university. Will we lose to P5 in some or many cases. Sure, maybe...but our goal should be to keep them if we can.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:59 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:30 am
spacemonkey wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

You are right in that we can’t compete with P5 money. But Scott didn’t leave because of that. He asked for an increase in the salary pool for his assistants to make them the highest paid staff in the Sun Belt. That was probably an increase of less than < 500k to divide amongst his staff. In exchange, he said he would stay on until his kids were done with school, which would have been this year I believe. We couldn’t, so he didn’t.

I disagree with your “alienating the long term seat/buyer” comment. No one is alienating anyone. The bar has been raised and it is up to the individual to make the choice to either go under or over that bar. If it isn’t fiscally practical to keep up, that’s OK. You can’t hold up traffic because you feel an entitlement to putz around in the inside lane.
I'll repeat myself: You could have a 30 year donor that gave $1,000 for 10 years, $1,500 for 10 years, and $2,500 the last ten years get jumped for a parking space by a 2023 first time $3,500 donor. That is an individual that has given $50k to support Appalachian Athletics (on top of tickets) for 30 years. That would meet the definition of alienating the long term fan.

I agree there is a price of admission, but there are circumstances that aren't inline with what Appalachian is about. The points system needs to be weighted first for parking, tickets, etc. not current year giving levels. If the new donors want to "raise their bar" they have the option of doing so by upping their current year giving to surpass others in the point system ranking.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”