Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Renewing Season Football Tickets

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Renewing Season Football Tickets

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:29 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:19 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:29 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:23 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:53 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:44 pm

That's ridiculous. Why the change. I may be able to do another $250 for my second seat, but I could see this hurting a lot of people. Especially families who purchase more than 2 tickets. This will have gotten super expensive.
Because it is the model that many schools have adopted to generate revenue. As it was said earlier, we had too many people that would donate $100 and get 8 tickets. I understand your frustration but we have simply reached a point where we can’t be small time anymore and expect the consistent success that we have become used to.
Curious to see if there will be less season tickets sold because of this. I've got a new born, and was hoping to have 3-4 seats in the coming years, but that'll be about impossible.
What schools is this modeled after? Talked to Wolfpack club member and that's not how they do it. Don't think the Rams club does it this way either.
I understand not trying to be "small time" anymore, but I wonder if we end up hurting current season ticket holders instead of trying to bring in new donors for revenue.
According to the administration, there is a waiting list of about 1k for season tickets. Have we heard that rhetoric before? Sure. Here is the link to the information. https://mountaineersathleticfund.com/

Carolina and State do not work on this model. However, two points that need to be recognized. 1) they don’t need money the way non P5s do. 2) their season ticket prices are $200 and $180 more than ours at $250.

The model isn’t going to be satisfactory to everyone. I’m sure that Gillin and staff understand that there will be breakage and hurt feelings, but it really is necessary for us to grow and be competitive.
Don't know about State, but the Rams Club in fact does use a similar model, and has done so for years. It's not a per-ticket price exactly, but the number of season tickets members can buy, and their seat location, depends on their giving level.

https://ramsclub.com/app/uploads/2022/0 ... scaled.jpg
Correct. I looked at their site and it seemed similar in that the donation, or giving level, determined seat allocation.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:58 pm

Whether we like it or not, it does seem fair that levels of giving would also have limitations on the number of tickets you could buy whether it is "per ticket" or "per level threshold". I totally understand each person has to decide what is viable for themselves based on their situation. But there are a limited number of seats in KBS and as more demand comes the price will increase. Just because I paid $xxx 20 years ago and could get unlimited numbers of tickets doesn't mean I get the same deal now.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:07 pm

I’m old, so bare with me. Is the “donation” part of you Yosef giving level?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:10 pm

pop5app wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:07 pm
I’m old, so bare with me. Is the “donation” part of you Yosef giving level?
As I understand it , yes sIr.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:13 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:58 pm
Whether we like it or not, it does seem fair that levels of giving would also have limitations on the number of tickets you could buy whether it is "per ticket" or "per level threshold". I totally understand each person has to decide what is viable for themselves based on their situation. But there are a limited number of seats in KBS and as more demand comes the price will increase. Just because I paid $xxx 20 years ago and could get unlimited numbers of tickets doesn't mean I get the same deal now.
I'm sure this is designed to encourage more people to join Yosef. Too many members have been purchasing too many tickets in a section on one membership.
WE ARE YOSEF!

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:41 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:29 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:53 pm

Because it is the model that many schools have adopted to generate revenue. As it was said earlier, we had too many people that would donate $100 and get 8 tickets. I understand your frustration but we have simply reached a point where we can’t be small time anymore and expect the consistent success that we have become used to.
Curious to see if there will be less season tickets sold because of this. I've got a new born, and was hoping to have 3-4 seats in the coming years, but that'll be about impossible.
What schools is this modeled after? Talked to Wolfpack club member and that's not how they do it. Don't think the Rams club does it this way either.
I understand not trying to be "small time" anymore, but I wonder if we end up hurting current season ticket holders instead of trying to bring in new donors for revenue.
According to the administration, there is a waiting list of about 1k for season tickets. Have we heard that rhetoric before? Sure. Here is the link to the information. https://mountaineersathleticfund.com/

Carolina and State do not work on this model. However, two points that need to be recognized. 1) they don’t need money the way non P5s do. 2) their season ticket prices are $200 and $180 more than ours at $250.

The model isn’t going to be satisfactory to everyone. I’m sure that Gillin and staff understand that there will be breakage and hurt feelings, but it really is necessary for us to grow and be competitive.
Don't know about State, but the Rams Club in fact does use a similar model, and has done so for years. It's not a per-ticket price exactly, but the number of season tickets members can buy, and their seat location, depends on their giving level.

Correct. I looked at their site and it seemed similar in that the donation, or giving level, determined seat allocation.
But that's what we've always had in the recent past to my understanding. Your section of seats is dictated by your level of donation. Higher donation, better location.

Like I'd be totally ok with a limit # of tickets per the lvl of donation. It would make sense that if you can afford a higher # of seats, you should be able to pay a higher donation lvl. That makes sense.
But a donation per seat is a little too ridiculous in my book. I feel it's going to force a good many to not buy season tickets.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:52 pm

Just for the record...I did not pay "CoachRob" to start this thread. It is exactly who I thought it would hurt...Families. Really hard on a family...not that big of deal to a group of friends or couples.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:03 pm

They also extended the young alumni membership if anyone is interested. You are eligible for a doubled step-up donation if you are within 4 years of undergrad graduation. 3 years for graduate school only.

Step-up donation = If you get 4 seats in the $250/seat section, you only have to donate $500 instead of $1,000. Your account is still "credited" with the total donation amount for parking purposes.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:06 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:52 pm
Just for the record...I did not pay "CoachRob" to start this thread. It is exactly who I thought it would hurt...Families. Really hard on a family...not that big of deal to a group of friends or couples.
I knew you would pipe in.

And Coach Rob is right, we don't need our younger alumni who have tickets being squeezed out. We need to look at current needs, but always be building for the future as well.

Yes, we have demand (for now), but that is not the current trend across college football, as attendance is dropping.

But, they also have been communicating this since last year and have actually reduced the per seat required donation on some seats.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:09 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:06 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

And Coach Rob is right, we don't need our younger alumni who have tickets being squeezed out. We need to look at current needs, but always be building for the future as well.

Yes, we have demand (for now), but that is not the current trend across college football, as attendance is dropping.

But, they also have been communicating this since last year and have actually reduced the per seat required donation on some seats.
I noticed the reduction as well. I was originally in a $400 section or something very high last year so I moved to a $250 section. It is only $175 now but I imagine it will eventually increase to $250 in a year or two.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:14 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:09 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:06 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

I noticed the reduction as well. I was originally in a $400 section or something very high last year so I moved to a $250 section. It is only $175 now but I imagine it will eventually increase to $250 in a year or two.
Yep, we moved from a $400 section, back to a $175 section (our original seats) when they announced the new policy. Now, the seats we moved from are also $175. (This tells me that we really don't have a waiting list, but that's merely an opinion.)

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:59 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:41 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:29 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

But that's what we've always had in the recent past to my understanding. Your section of seats is dictated by your level of donation. Higher donation, better location.

Like I'd be totally ok with a limit # of tickets per the lvl of donation. It would make sense that if you can afford a higher # of seats, you should be able to pay a higher donation lvl. That makes sense.
But a donation per seat is a little too ridiculous in my book. I feel it's going to force a good many to not buy season tickets.
Somewhat correct. The difference is that we didn’t limit the number of seats that you could get. So a group of 10 could set in premium seats for next to nothing other than the cost of the tickets. There are sections that I believe go for $100 per seat. So if you need three and you give at the $500 level, you should be fine.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:01 pm

This is the model for every sports venue across the US that competes at a high level. I do wish they had grandfathered fans with a certain number of Yosef Club points. I’d hate to see a 20+ year donor and season ticket holder have to move.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:23 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:01 pm
This is the model for every sports venue across the US that competes at a high level. I do wish they had grandfathered fans with a certain number of Yosef Club points. I’d hate to see a 20+ year donor and season ticket holder have to move.
I would not have minded moving if they really had that seat sold to someone. No way there is a waiting list for normal seats...maybe closed in (From the weather) box seats but not for normal seats. It was wrong to change the chart but I am not moving again until my old age forces me to move to a couch. I have my basketball seats and I have my football seats. I plan to hold them till I can't physically get to those seats.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:13 am

I don't think our new plan is similar to the one at UNC at all. Their plan allows multiple seats for each level of giving. For instance at the second lowest plan you pay one donation and can get up to 3 seats with that donation. The next level allows up to 5 seats for that donation. There are other levels that allow even more. The plan does allow for differences in seating areas based on the level of donation too but none of them are "per seat". I don't think this is how other schools are doing it either because I checked most of the North Carolina FBS schools and several other university sites last fall. Most include the option to purchase up to a set number of seats for each donation. Most people who make donations at any school will purchase at least 2 seats and others more to have seats for the entire family. The family I sit beside in Boone has purchased 6 season tickets every year to cover their whole family. They attend home games faithfully and have traveled to our National Championship games and at least one bowl game supporting the team. This pricing change is a huge impact for them. I do not think a "per ticket" plan is the the way to go but I do think allowing a set number of tickets "per Yosef Club Membership" would be appropriate. My suggestion is that each donation (above a student membership) come with "up to 4 tickets". That seems more fair and also in line with what others are actually doing.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:24 am

So you can join the Rams Club at the lowest level, $100 and get 3 tickets in the end of the wings for $290 per for a total of $970. You can join Yosef Club for $300 and get three seats on the ends for $250 per for a total of $1050. If $80 is a deal breaker then maybe season tickets aren’t something that needs to be prioritized.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:24 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:24 am
So you can join the Rams Club at the lowest level, $100 and get 3 tickets in the end of the wings for $290 per for a total of $970. You can join Yosef Club for $300 and get three seats on the ends for $250 per for a total of $1050. If $80 is a deal breaker then maybe season tickets aren’t something that needs to be prioritized.
You have to consider this also. They have MUCH more TV money. I am VERY sure they are also the recipient of MUCH more giving. They have a larger stadium also. Here is the plain and simple fact. We wanted to play at this level so we have to pay for it. I agree it sucks that some who have been loyal for a long time may lose their seats but it also should not be a surprise. This is a very expensive undertaking and all the "Hundreds of millions" that football supposedly brings in just does not apply to G5.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:39 am

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:24 am
AppSt94 wrote:
You have to consider this also. They have MUCH more TV money. I am VERY sure they are also the recipient of MUCH more giving. They have a larger stadium also. Here is the plain and simple fact. We wanted to play at this level so we have to pay for it. I agree it sucks that some who have been loyal for a long time may lose their seats but it also should not be a surprise. This is a very expensive undertaking and all the "Hundreds of millions" that football supposedly brings in just does not apply to G5.
100% agree and I said as much earlier in the thread. Comparison between App and a P5 just isn’t fair for the points stated. The chosen pricing model by the administration is the one that they feel is the one in the best interest of the needs of the program. Does it rub some people the wrong way? Sure. Is it fair and equitable to everyone? Not even close. But at the end of the day, they have expenses “X” and they need to do what they have too in order to cover them.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:45 am

Is the seat that you get at UNC-CH for $970 comparable to our seats for $1000.. Prior to NEZ, I did not have season tickets. As such, I have sat all over the stadium...but primarily home side. I have never really had a bad seat at App. I do wonder, given larger stadium at CH, that you could have a bad seat from a viewing perspective. I have sat low rows near field at CH and sight lines are not good. Maybe all those go to single game tickets sales...and all CH season ticket holders have good seats. I have no clue.

I completely understand the increase in cost is a significant factor for many people. It is a personal decision that everyone has to make for themselves and their family.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:52 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:39 am
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:24 am
AppSt94 wrote:
100% agree and I said as much earlier in the thread. Comparison between App and a P5 just isn’t fair for the points stated. The chosen pricing model by the administration is the one that they feel is the one in the best interest of the needs of the program. Does it rub some people the wrong way? Sure. Is it fair and equitable to everyone? Not even close. But at the end of the day, they have expenses “X” and they need to do what they have too in order to cover them.
You guys are spot on.FBS is expensive and getting only moreso.There is another option -drop back down to FCS.I don't see an appetite for that on here ,I could be wrong.When we made the move up I doubled my annual giving as I told them I would , and have more than doubled that amount again including an increase this year . There are things I no longer spend money on to offset the difference.Everyone is free to choose but if we want to compete , we have to invest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”