Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sloan hired for DC

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sloan hired for DC

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:56 pm

From 2017. Ethan Joyce talked with Doug Middleton today and asked what he thought about Scot Sloan and his new job. Here was his answer. I’ll have our full convo up later:
Attachments
20230113_175539.jpg
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:25 pm

The hire to me shows stability in the program. Might not be the sexy young hire - however, we need the stability and this hire gives us that AND one heck of a coach. Win Win.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:18 pm

Overlooking the ridiculous name calling on this board, I agree that this is a good hire and makes me feel we have some optimism for next year.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:30 pm

"Stability" seems to be the word for the off season. I hope that word morphs into "growth" "progress" "success"
The Appalachian State

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:31 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:56 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:36 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:32 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:22 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:12 pm

Lol thanks for proving my point. AppStateNews can’t have anyone “questioning” the staff or he has to man his post as MouthPiece and protect Clark at all costs.

By the way, the only thing you’ll see me “complaining” about, is the constant running up the middle on 3rd and 4th and short. Everything else is simply a conversation, which is the intended use of a message board IMO. But it obviously has a very different meaning for you. Hope Clark gives you a nice pat on the back today!
Questioning staff is fine. I've questioned them quite often on here.

The fact you only posted once between November 2021 and October 22 (and that was to find tickets) shows everything we all need to know. You're only one here to be negative.

As far as the up the middle runs (which I agree with), you do realize a large portion of those were supposed to be bounced outside but the d-line got in too quick because of sub-par oline play/pre-snap reads, right? But, I agree, it wasn't working so stop calling it.

And if you're wanting conversation, cool. But if that's what you want, don't discount what people with actual knowledge have to say as "protecting" Clark and staff. If you pose a question (well, for you a statement), expect an answer. If you don't like the answer, sorry, but that's not on anybody but you.
I’ve posted here one time in the time frame you mentioned because people like you make this board a truly miserable place. Thank you for reinforcing that thought today. Enjoy carrying that water.
So people that answer your "questions" make it miserable. Got it!

Thanks for proving you don't want conversation. You simply want to complain and if people don't agree with your theories they must be a PR arm of the program and make it miserable on a message board -- you know, that place that you even said is for discussion. But, I guess that discussion can only happen if they agree with you.

Makes total sense!
There really isn’t any reason to engage this a$$clown. All he does is complain and struggles to comprehend any thought that doesn’t validate his opinion. He isn’t likes on 24/7 on either of App or the ECU board. Hell, his neighbors growing up didn’t like him as a kid.
I love how much you think about me 94 :)

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:41 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:30 pm
"Stability" seems to be the word for the off season. I hope that word morphs into "growth" "progress" "success"
Maybe stability on one of the ball is a good thing. Bring in a known, successful DC who wants to be on the Mountain and keep going after OC’s who might make big $$$ in the future.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:13 am

DJ didn't forget how to coach last season. We didn't have the Jimmys and Joes to execute his Xs & Os. Love the Sloan hire.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 am

JMappfan5 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:13 am
DJ didn't forget how to coach last season. We didn't have the Jimmys and Joes to execute his Xs & Os. Love the Sloan hire.
Definitely didn't have the horses in the stable to do what he wanted to do and he made a lot of adjustments throughout the season. That said, there were some things he could have done better, IMO.

I know everyone on here remembers the 3rd and long against UNC and the RB was wide open on a screen. That was 100% due to play call. Sending a zero blitz with no peel coverage is absurd in that situation. Now, it's possible there was peel responsibilities that just didn't happen (and that is what I initially thought), but re-watching a lot of games over the holidays, that happened a lot. I am beginning to think there wasn't a peel called -- and if there was, the same mistake was happening well in to the season to continue calling it.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 am

So the "Jimmy's and Joes" lined up and ran different concepts than what were called from the sideline? We give too much credit to coaches more often than not. A lot of coaches can look like they know what they are doing when they have great players. Great coaches are able to get the most out of any player and/or put them in positions to succeed. Dale has proven incapable of that in 2 stints as a DC. The players changed, the results didn't.

I'm optimistic for Sloan, I've typically held him in high regard (outside of his decision to go to the Stink). We have spring practices and off season work for a reason, it's not a stretch for fans/alumni to want to see improvement out of the gate. We shouldn't be "figuring it out" during the games
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:30 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 am
JMappfan5 wrote:
Definitely didn't have the horses in the stable to do what he wanted to do and he made a lot of adjustments throughout the season. That said, there were some things he could have done better, IMO.

I know everyone on here remembers the 3rd and long against UNC and the RB was wide open on a screen. That was 100% due to play call. Sending a zero blitz with no peel coverage is absurd in that situation. Now, it's possible there was peel responsibilities that just didn't happen (and that is what I initially thought), but re-watching a lot of games over the holidays, that happened a lot. I am beginning to think there wasn't a peel called -- and if there was, the same mistake was happening well in to the season to continue calling it.
Couldn't have picked a better example. Kudos.
The Appalachian State

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:08 am

yikas1 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:18 pm
Overlooking the ridiculous name calling on this board, I agree that this is a good hire and makes me feel we have some optimism for next year.
The name calling and “how do you even KNOW that!?!” Portion is how you know it’s a good thread getting good engagement. Nobody is name calling or questioning anyone’s integrity on the “RIP Lisa Marie Presley” thread.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:46 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:04 pm
Our inability to cover the flats/flares and middle zone was mind numbing. Opposing teams would just repeat the same plays taking chunks, and when we finally adjusted, they'd hit over the top. Of course having a better pass rush would've helped, but Dale just couldn't ever figure it out. Carolina did it first and every team after just repeated it all season. Texas AM was the only team that didn't really go to that well, which I felt was surprising.
Need to fix some of the talent issue's 1st. Best hire so far has been S&C which will help some. I expect us to have some bumps on D before we're able to get the young talent up to par to what we expect.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:00 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
JMappfan5 wrote:

Traditionally, the blitz peel is an automatic built in call when you are the D gap blitzer in m/m coverage. However, it's something that you need to rep often to do it instinctively.

When I watched that particular play, it looked like our D gap blitzer tripped and got off balance which led the wide open back. I thought the defense had improved some over the course of the season, and injuries really hurt that progression. No doubt some blame can go to the coaches. But I believe lack of talent that we're accustomed to was the biggest issue.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:07 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:00 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
JMappfan5 wrote:

Traditionally, the blitz peel is an automatic built in call when you are the D gap blitzer in m/m coverage. However, it's something that you need to rep often to do it instinctively.

When I watched that particular play, it looked like our D gap blitzer tripped and got off balance which led the wide open back. I thought the defense had improved some over the course of the season, and injuries really hurt that progression. No doubt some blame can go to the coaches. But I believe lack of talent that we're accustomed to was the biggest issue.
I would agree with you until I went back and watched a lot of the games (some in all 22 view). There were too many times the same mistakes happened over and over.

Defense definitely improved due to adjustments Jones made (Steven Jones to boundary, more single high, etc), but it was a lot of the same mistakes over and over.

And on that particular play, sure, we may have had a RB coverage trip... but they had 3 guys wide open that could have walked in to the end zone. It's stuff like that that happened so often throughout the season that makes me think it wasn't just on the players. I think a lot of it had to do with philosophy and not wanting to change said philosophy to your personnel.

I love DJ. Great man. Great football mind. Amazing LB coach. The best run fitter I have ever been around. I still think he was a scape goat for last season, but when going back and re-watching, his stubbornness seemed to play a role.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:20 am

CoachRob wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:00 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
JMappfan5 wrote:

You're not too far off. To AppStateNews' point, this was on going, which then begs the question of gameweek prep and understanding the opponent cues etc. Lesser players will make wrong reads more often, but not in the quantity I saw this season, especially when even a casual fan could see it coming. I've honestly never recalled seeing an App Defense that inept. I just think the game had passed a play caller like DJ by. It's not an indictment on who he was, just where he is at in his career.
The Appalachian State

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:17 am

Might want to check out this page and see who is missing.

https://appstatesports.com/sports/football/coaches

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:40 am

hapapp wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:17 am

Can't see it from work. Who is missing?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:47 am

appst89 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:40 am
hapapp wrote:

DiBastiani and Lockwood

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:03 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:47 am
appst89 wrote:
hapapp wrote:

DiBastiani and Lockwood
Hmmmmm...............

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:11 am

appst89 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:03 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:47 am
appst89 wrote:
hapapp wrote:

DiBastiani and Lockwood
Hmmmmm...............
Sloan coaches Safeties so Lockwood moving on is unfortunate but not an unexpected outcome.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”