Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Here we go again...Looks like the OC is out

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: Here we go again...Looks like the OC is out

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:02 pm

no flights from miami area to hickory the past couple of days. would we even fly ponce in for an interview or would a phone call suffice? if we were to fly someone in for an interview…would they go to CLT? or Hickory? Yes, this is next level coaching search intel! hahaha

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:04 pm

Sloan and Ponce left App for better opportunities because they were successful for what they did here. Might not be as glamorous as some hope for but both are leaving good opportunities to come back here (if Ponce does return) and they want to be here. It’s not like they’re coming back with their tail tucked between their legs looking for a handout. They love this place and their desire to be here will only make them better coaches and recruiters.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:05 pm

311neers wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:02 pm
no flights from miami area to hickory the past couple of days. would we even fly ponce in for an interview or would a phone call suffice? if we were to fly someone in for an interview…would they go to CLT? or Hickory? Yes, this is next level coaching search intel! hahaha
For someone like Ponce, I would expect a phone call would suffice. But, if an in person is required, there's a good chance he's in Winston right now with his family...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:05 pm

311neers wrote:
Ponce would probably fly into Greensboro, drive up, then head back down to Winston for some you know what.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:08 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:05 pm
311neers wrote:
Ponce would probably fly into Greensboro, drive up, then head back down to Winston for some you know what.
Home cooked meals?
tAPPedInSports.net

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:11 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:28 pm
Honest question- with the horses we had in the stable in '21, I felt Ponce struggled to adapt and grt the most out of our squad. Miami is no different. I get the angle of Burger being his QB and fitting better with his style, but while I was excited when he came back, i was also happy when he was gone. Again, I'd much prefer to get some young up and coming coach. I like Watts, but I don't know if he's the answer either.
We won 10 games with Ponce as OC. Obviously, that's better than Mississippi State's new OC did with a some of the same horses and the same DC. I think any first year OC is likely to have some struggles in their first year, and we won 10 games in Ponce's. Barbay struggled and got a nice payday out of it.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:25 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:11 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Honest question- with the horses we had in the stable in '21, I felt Ponce struggled to adapt and grt the most out of our squad. Miami is no different. I get the angle of Burger being his QB and fitting better with his style, but while I was excited when he came back, i was also happy when he was gone. Again, I'd much prefer to get some young up and coming coach. I like Watts, but I don't know if he's the answer either.
We won 10 games with Ponce as OC. Obviously, that's better than Mississippi State's new OC did with a some of the same horses and the same DC. I think any first year OC is likely to have some struggles in their first year, and we won 10 games in Ponce's. Barbay struggled and got a nice payday out of it.
He had a great September, then mentioned on here that a previous OL started his hand at play calling...and success tailed off....I know nothing but am inclined to believe it based on what I saw.
BLACK SATURDAY

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:41 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:08 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:05 pm
311neers wrote:
Home cooked meals?
Damn it, you beat me to it
Give 'em hell!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:45 pm

goapps93 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
RB room looked familiar, but I can't even begin to compare our WR group this past season to the one we had in '21. I also couldn't ever figure out why Ponce rarely, and I do mean rarely, utilized those 3 (or 4 if you want to throw Pearson in) receivers in a way that capitalized on their strengths. Probably one of the biggest reasons I didn't mind seeing Ponce move on. We had a QB that could absolutely air out the ball, and 3 uniquely talented receivers to benefit from it. The rotations and everything were so wacky and never seemed to help Chase get in rhythm. It was bizarre.
The Appalachian State

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:47 pm

311neers wrote:

My guess is through PTI since his wife is in Winston

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:54 pm

boonetown1 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:47 pm
311neers wrote:

My guess is through PTI since his wife is in Winston
Edit everyone is on the same page

I will say this, if it is Ponce and we are successful next year. We have two coordinators who could potentially stick around for some time.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:06 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:45 pm
goapps93 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
RB room looked familiar, but I can't even begin to compare our WR group this past season to the one we had in '21. I also couldn't ever figure out why Ponce rarely, and I do mean rarely, utilized those 3 (or 4 if you want to throw Pearson in) receivers in a way that capitalized on their strengths. Probably one of the biggest reasons I didn't mind seeing Ponce move on. We had a QB that could absolutely air out the ball, and 3 uniquely talented receivers to benefit from it. The rotations and everything were so wacky and never seemed to help Chase get in rhythm. It was bizarre.
I guess my main point is that one season is nowhere near enough to properly evaluate any coach. Well, at least not until the last several years when so many need instant gratification and have unrealistically lofty expectations.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:56 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:06 pm
appstatealum wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
I guess my main point is that one season is nowhere near enough to properly evaluate any coach. Well, at least not until the last several years when so many need instant gratification and have unrealistically lofty expectations.
I admittedly had lofty expectations that year
The Appalachian State

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:44 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:53 pm
mike87 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:51 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:46 pm
ponce knows he made a mistake by leaving - but Miami was his home so hard to get mad at him for that,

Sunday will be decision day - it may get announced Sunday or Monday morning - It's either Watts or Ponce for the job.... But at this moment my intel says Ponce comes back because he knows both the QB's really well and has upper hand on Watts in coaching QB's obviously.

And oh by the way - App was 10-2 as Ponce as the OC.
Hope you are correct. Seems a stretch but it'd be a good day's work for the administration to pull that off.
aint got nothing to with that administration... geezus. they don't do crap.
More specifically then. Good day for Clark and Gillin.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:49 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:56 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:06 pm
appstatealum wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
I admittedly had lofty expectations that year
The last 2 years were the same. Start off with offense looking great, then we either abandon or can’t evolve when teams adjust, to what had been successful. I think Ponce didn’t know how to tailor the offense to Chase’s skill set. Maybe burger will be more in his wheelhouse, but I hope Clark stresses the need/desire to involve the TEs way more in the offense

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:04 pm

To me its obvious clark basically handicapped the oc's...hopefully he will let them call ball games like they should

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:56 pm

ncman071 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:04 pm
To me its obvious clark basically handicapped the oc's...hopefully he will let them call ball games like they should
So we are 99% confident it's Watts or Ponce. If this was happening, do you really think Ponce would want to come back? Or Watts would want the job that he knows doesn't get to do their job?
tAPPedInSports.net

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:00 pm

ncman071 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:04 pm
All this is based off of Steve Browns comment on a podcast. He said he didn’t know that for sure, that’s just what it looked like. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not. Either way we have to give Clark some credit for bringing in people who are successful enough to be desired by P5s. If he was the one thinking he had to call the plays, wouldn’t he just name himself OC like drink and satterfield did?

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:19 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:20 pm
With the Sloan hire and, if Shawn goes for someone like Ponce, it would certainly bring some folks back who are familiar with the program and the culture. It may not bring fresh perspective but it likely brings a certain level of stability. Some have said there could be an internal promotion. It would seem that might be Watts given his tenure with the program. Of course, that leaves the QB coach spot unfilled. But, like the Ponce hire, a Watts hire would also bring that same sense of familiarity. Is it possible that the Shawn would venture further out given the instability with the OC position over the last several years? I'm sure there are folks who would jump at the opportunity. Gong to be interesting to see if it is someone unknown to most of us.
It may not be fresh perspective, but they both gained more perspective (if it is Ponce). We should all remember that Satt left and gained experience working in other programs and with other coaching staffs before coming back to Boone

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:00 am

Brandon Streeter is now available. We may offer him an opportunity to prove that he was not the problem at Clemson last season. We could be a springboard for him getting a HC job.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”