Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Here we go again...Looks like the OC is out

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: Here we go again...Looks like the OC is out

Unread post by 311neers » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:46 am

TractorApp wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:00 am
Brandon Streeter is now available. We may offer him an opportunity to prove that he was not the problem at Clemson last season. We could be a springboard for him getting a HC job.
As a Clemson grad school grad, I watched most games. He was the problem in my opinion along with just lack of depth/talent. Or at least he was one of the problems, there were a few problems on that team/staff last year.
You think he would go from $950k to $300k? That’s my only hesitancy there, not enough money for even the guys that get fired.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:03 am

311neers wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:46 am
TractorApp wrote:
Brandon Streeter is now available. We may offer him an opportunity to prove that he was not the problem at Clemson last season. We could be a springboard for him getting a HC job.
As a Clemson grad school grad, I watched most games. He was the problem in my opinion along with just lack of depth/talent. Or at least he was one of the problems, there were a few problems on that team/staff last year.
You think he would go from $950k to $300k? That’s my only hesitancy there, not enough money for even the guys that get fired.
Did he get fired with years left on his contract or did he just get let go? Might play in his decision and finding a job. If they have to pay them the rest of his contract, he can be a little more pickier probably. I don’t know much about him or his philosophy.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:14 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:03 am
311neers wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:46 am
TractorApp wrote:
Did he get fired with years left on his contract or did he just get let go? Might play in his decision and finding a job. If they have to pay them the rest of his contract, he can be a little more pickier probably. I don’t know much about him or his philosophy.
But would he be a one year guy or stay multiple years? It would be nice to keep some continuity in the OC position.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:55 am

goapps93 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:06 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:45 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:11 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:28 pm
Honest question- with the horses we had in the stable in '21, I felt Ponce struggled to adapt and grt the most out of our squad. Miami is no different. I get the angle of Burger being his QB and fitting better with his style, but while I was excited when he came back, i was also happy when he was gone. Again, I'd much prefer to get some young up and coming coach. I like Watts, but I don't know if he's the answer either.
We won 10 games with Ponce as OC. Obviously, that's better than Mississippi State's new OC did with a some of the same horses and the same DC. I think any first year OC is likely to have some struggles in their first year, and we won 10 games in Ponce's. Barbay struggled and got a nice payday out of it.
RB room looked familiar, but I can't even begin to compare our WR group this past season to the one we had in '21. I also couldn't ever figure out why Ponce rarely, and I do mean rarely, utilized those 3 (or 4 if you want to throw Pearson in) receivers in a way that capitalized on their strengths. Probably one of the biggest reasons I didn't mind seeing Ponce move on. We had a QB that could absolutely air out the ball, and 3 uniquely talented receivers to benefit from it. The rotations and everything were so wacky and never seemed to help Chase get in rhythm. It was bizarre.
I guess my main point is that one season is nowhere near enough to properly evaluate any coach. Well, at least not until the last several years when so many need instant gratification and have unrealistically lofty expectations.
Some on this Board evaluates after 2 games and yells FIRE COACH_____ :lol: :roll:

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:01 am

I guess it comes with the territory and the big bucks but it's gotta be tough as a coordinator to practice all week, prepare and put in a game plan (that should work) only to call a play, line up and the opponent changes the look. We see those running plays that get stuffed but don't often think about the defense making a quick adjustment that wasn't expected.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:27 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:01 am
I guess it comes with the territory and the big bucks but it's gotta be tough as a coordinator to practice all week, prepare and put in a game plan (that should work) only to call a play, line up and the opponent changes the look. We see those running plays that get stuffed but don't often think about the defense making a quick adjustment that wasn't expected.
I think an even bigger frustration would be to call a series of pants to set up “the play” and have it fail due to lack of execution

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:03 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
It’s a chess match for sure. In my brief basketball coaching career I saw the really good coaches were the ones who could think 3-4 “moves” ahead. Like, we do this and they will do this so we do this and then when they do this we do this.

The opposite is, you do one thing, the other team adjusts, and you adjust back and it works. You feel like the smartest guy in the world.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:06 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:27 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
I think an even bigger frustration would be to call a series of pants to set up “the play” and have it fail due to lack of execution
Yep I meant to add that originally. You see those random shots of the coaches in the booth. When a play works and goes for a big gain or a score those guys are geniuses. If the opposite happens they are idiots. You know that some teams with marginal to bad players simply don't execute the plays and it falls back on the coaches. You won't hear a good coach say that "we called a great play and the team screwed up ".

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:06 pm

Announcement "soon" .

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:36 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:03 am
He was one year into a three year deal as Clemson OC.

According to The State.
Clemson will owe Streeter the $1.85 million remaining on his three-year contract, according to the deal’s buyout clause. He was making $925,000 annually. That $1.85 million would be reduced if Streeter takes another college football job for either of the next two seasons.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/sports/college ... rylink=cpy
So let's say he takes the OC job at App for $250k. Clemson would pay the other $675k each of the next two years.

Sometimes fired coaches negotiate lump sump buyouts or donors will step up and offer it.

So basically, taking a lesser salary wouldn't be a deterrent for him right now. Especially if he feels he can spent a year or two somewhere else (such as the Nick Saban School for Fired Coaches who want to Coach Good Again), rehab his image and get another fat P5 contract.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:52 pm

Are we up for a one year rental? May as well set a record for 7 OCs in 7 years.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:53 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:06 pm
Announcement "soon" .
Apparently Sloan was locked up 6 weeks ago and just announced so “soon” could be March

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:58 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:00 pm
ncman071 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:04 pm
To me its obvious clark basically handicapped the oc's...hopefully he will let them call ball games like they should
All this is based off of Steve Browns comment on a podcast. He said he didn’t know that for sure, that’s just what it looked like. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not. Either way we have to give Clark some credit for bringing in people who are successful enough to be desired by P5s. If he was the one thinking he had to call the plays, wouldn’t he just name himself OC like drink and satterfield did?
Actually, no, i never listened to that particular podcast...i have felt like Clark was absolutely intervening with the offense post september. its' happened 2 years in a row...we look dynamic at the beginning, then decide...what the hell...lets run the ball even if it costs up a game or three...i've been an App fan for many years and really like SC and hope he looks in the mirror this off season and realizes its not just the coordinators and assistants that need to do better. It seemed especially after the Ga State game when we dominated on the ground that he decided for sure to pound it and when its fourth and short...ran the same 2 plays everytime and seemed to get stopped most of the time...but ...i'll say this...he's an excellent recruiter and if Ponce does come back and he lets him truly run the offense, i think we can be very good. He's a great man and i wish nothing but the best for him and this program!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:37 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:53 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:06 pm
Announcement "soon" .
Apparently Sloan was locked up 6 weeks ago and just announced so “soon” could be March
Not so.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:44 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:52 pm
Are we up for a one year rental? May as well set a record for 7 OCs in 7 years.
While we are talking 7s,....without seeing our schedule, 7 wins might be goal for next season :roll:
BLACK SATURDAY

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:47 pm

September will be very interesting.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:50 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:00 pm
ncman071 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:04 pm
To me its obvious clark basically handicapped the oc's...hopefully he will let them call ball games like they should
All this is based off of Steve Browns comment on a podcast. He said he didn’t know that for sure, that’s just what it looked like. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not. Either way we have to give Clark some credit for bringing in people who are successful enough to be desired by P5s. If he was the one thinking he had to call the plays, wouldn’t he just name himself OC like drink and satterfield did?
Sheesh, I hope not
BLACK SATURDAY

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:39 pm

I could realistically see anywhere from 5 - 11 wins. There are no gimme games next season. I choose to believe it will be around 9 but it will be determined by how our DLine and Secondary perform. I am cautiously optimistic b/c of how many 1 possession losses we had and how many of those came down to missed opportunities more than being outplayed. I am not very worried about offense no matter who the QB or OC is.

ASU02

Unread post by ASU02 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:54 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:47 pm
We play GWU 9/2 with Tre Lamb as the head coach ;)

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:00 pm

ASU02 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:54 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:47 pm
We play GWU 9/2 with Tre Lamb as the head coach ;)
Maybe, maybe not.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”