Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Here we go again...Looks like the OC is out

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Here we go again...Looks like the OC is out

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:40 am

Coach B has had other opportunities .This one is SEC , and SEC money , for him professionally - the prize.Good for him.We have our guy and will move forward.A solid choice , in my opinion.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:42 am

ah59396 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:34 am
MrCraig wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:50 am
At what point do we look in the mirror and realize that we are probably the reason these coaches keep leaving? How many coaches read this board? How many of them see the negativity and absolute hatred during most gameday threads?
This reminds me of those posts during the season when someone is like “we need to be focused on our NEXT opponent, not XYZ team in 3 weeks”.

Like….no. the team does. But not us. We have zero impact on the outcome.

We’re just a bunch of yahoos on a message board arguing about a game.
I know. I thought about noting that this was sarcasm, but thought it would be funnier if I didn't. I have thoroughly enjoyed the responses so far.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:43 am

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:42 am
ah59396 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:34 am
MrCraig wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:50 am
At what point do we look in the mirror and realize that we are probably the reason these coaches keep leaving? How many coaches read this board? How many of them see the negativity and absolute hatred during most gameday threads?
This reminds me of those posts during the season when someone is like “we need to be focused on our NEXT opponent, not XYZ team in 3 weeks”.

Like….no. the team does. But not us. We have zero impact on the outcome.

We’re just a bunch of yahoos on a message board arguing about a game.
I know. I thought about noting that this was sarcasm, but thought it would be funnier if I didn't. I have thoroughly enjoyed the responses so far.
Gotta use that sarcasm font!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:26 am

How much money does PONCE make at the U?
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:38 am

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:40 am
Coach B has had other opportunities .This one is SEC , and SEC money , for him professionally - the prize.Good for him.We have our guy and will move forward.A solid choice , in my opinion.
My understanding is that he had several opportunities that he passed on before Miss State came calling.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:40 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:38 am
Stonewall wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:40 am
My understanding is that he had several opportunities that he passed on before Miss State came calling.
Correct.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:47 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:26 am
I believe that is somewhere around 500k. It’s a private school so hard to verify sources. But he didn’t leave for money last year so I don’t necessarily feel like money will be the determine factor this time around either, should that be the hire.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:32 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:47 am
Appstate88 wrote:
I believe that is somewhere around 500k. It’s a private school so hard to verify sources. But he didn’t leave for money last year so I don’t necessarily feel like money will be the determine factor this time around either, should that be the hire.
I was going off another thread "quoted below". It indicates he did not want to leave but Miami was just offering too much money to turn down. Maybe if we could bump the OC position closer to this we could get him back to make a run with the QB he recruited (Burger) as OC. At least he would be closer to his spouse who is a News Anchor operating out of Winston Salem https://www.wxii12.com/ .
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:39 am
AppState89 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:52 am
Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:17 am
appstate77 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:51 pm
I think Berger will be our McCall. What I saw of him this season impressed me. We'll see.
He was 4/6 this year..
According to Ponce, he will be better. Best QB he has ever recruited and seen in high school.
This. Ponce had the entire Burger family in tears during one of his recruiting pitches. Burger was also a large reason Ponce initially turned down the Miami job before Cristobal came back with a lot more money.

Now, Burger has to obviously put it all together, but he has the talent to bring us to new heights. And everything I've seen from a couple of the practices I've been to, he gets better every day.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:38 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:32 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:47 am
Appstate88 wrote:
I was going off another thread "quoted below". It indicates he did not want to leave but Miami was just offering too much money to turn down. Maybe if we could bump the OC position closer to this we could get him back to make a run with the QB he recruited (Burger) as OC. At least he would be closer to his spouse who is a News Anchor operating out of Winston Salem https://www.wxii12.com/ .
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:39 am
AppState89 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:52 am
Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:17 am
appstate77 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:51 pm
I think Berger will be our McCall. What I saw of him this season impressed me. We'll see.
He was 4/6 this year..
According to Ponce, he will be better. Best QB he has ever recruited and seen in high school.
This. Ponce had the entire Burger family in tears during one of his recruiting pitches. Burger was also a large reason Ponce initially turned down the Miami job before Cristobal came back with a lot more money.

Now, Burger has to obviously put it all together, but he has the talent to bring us to new heights. And everything I've seen from a couple of the practices I've been to, he gets better every day.
Ponce initially turned down Cristobal at least once (I have heard twice though) and each time Cristobal came back with more money, making it hard to say no. But, like 94 said, Miami is private so they don't have to divulge salaries.

When Ponce left Louisville to come here, he took a significant pay cut. They planned on being here for a while -- hence his wife leaving a very strong career down in Miami to move to Winston. When Cristobal kept upping the salary, Ponce did see dollar signs (and rightfully so) and a chance to go back home.

However, it seems (based on information on here) perhaps Ponce realizes the grass isn't always greener and wants to return? We'll see.

This is one I don't have any insight on (right now). I do know conversations have been had with multiple potential candidates over the past couple of months because Barbay has been flirted with more than once.
tAPPedInSports.net

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:46 pm

ponce knows he made a mistake by leaving - but Miami was his home so hard to get mad at him for that,

Sunday will be decision day - it may get announced Sunday or Monday morning - It's either Watts or Ponce for the job.... But at this moment my intel says Ponce comes back because he knows both the QB's really well and has upper hand on Watts in coaching QB's obviously.

And oh by the way - App was 10-2 as Ponce as the OC.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:51 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:46 pm
ponce knows he made a mistake by leaving - but Miami was his home so hard to get mad at him for that,

Sunday will be decision day - it may get announced Sunday or Monday morning - It's either Watts or Ponce for the job.... But at this moment my intel says Ponce comes back because he knows both the QB's really well and has upper hand on Watts in coaching QB's obviously.

Hope you are correct. Seems a stretch but it'd be a good day's work for the administration to pull that off.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:35 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Ponce would be great. If we pull that hire off I would feel much better about the next couple of years.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:46 pm

Perhaps the old band can get back together. (Clark, Sloan, Watts, Ponce) Circa 2016-2017
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:19 pm

I pulled up Christine Cruz's profile on WXII link provided above and interestingly, it says: "Christine loves being a mom to Lucas and Leah, who both attend college in Miami, and cheering on App State football, where her husband is the offensive coordinator. "

I'm sure this is just left over from his last stint and wasn't updated but I got a chuckle out of it.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:20 pm

With the Sloan hire and, if Shawn goes for someone like Ponce, it would certainly bring some folks back who are familiar with the program and the culture. It may not bring fresh perspective but it likely brings a certain level of stability. Some have said there could be an internal promotion. It would seem that might be Watts given his tenure with the program. Of course, that leaves the QB coach spot unfilled. But, like the Ponce hire, a Watts hire would also bring that same sense of familiarity. Is it possible that the Shawn would venture further out given the instability with the OC position over the last several years? I'm sure there are folks who would jump at the opportunity. Gong to be interesting to see if it is someone unknown to most of us.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:28 pm

Honest question- with the horses we had in the stable in '21, I felt Ponce struggled to adapt and grt the most out of our squad. Miami is no different. I get the angle of Burger being his QB and fitting better with his style, but while I was excited when he came back, i was also happy when he was gone. Again, I'd much prefer to get some young up and coming coach. I like Watts, but I don't know if he's the answer either.
The Appalachian State

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:33 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:28 pm
Honest question- with the horses we had in the stable in '21, I felt Ponce struggled to adapt and grt the most out of our squad. Miami is no different. I get the angle of Burger being his QB and fitting better with his style, but while I was excited when he came back, i was also happy when he was gone. Again, I'd much prefer to get some young up and coming coach. I like Watts, but I don't know if he's the answer either.
He didn't call plays at Miami. He was just the QB coach.

And I agree about Ponce to an extent. It wasn't as good of an offense we all assumed it would be, but it was still a championship game offense.

Also, if he comes back all the noise about Clark limiting the OC's is obviously false. No way Ponce would come back if that is what's happening.
tAPPedInSports.net

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:34 pm

I have nothing against fresh perspective, but I also have nothing against bringing back proven winners who have first hand knowledge of how that works at App State. If we were bringing back an insider who really hadn't' proven himself, that would be different.

Sloan has been running a defense as DC since he left, and has experience working with a group of new coaches. He's also worked under different head coaches so he returns with a much stronger resume' than when he left. Same can be said for our S&C hire. So far, I have no problem with who we are getting.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:42 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:19 pm
I pulled up Christine Cruz's profile on WXII link provided above and interestingly, it says: "Christine loves being a mom to Lucas and Leah, who both attend college in Miami, and cheering on App State football, where her husband is the offensive coordinator. "

I'm sure this is just left over from his last stint and wasn't updated but I got a chuckle out of it.
It left over from his last stint. It's been on there for 2 or more years. Maybe WXII won't need to change anything. They might be able to see the future. LOL
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:53 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:51 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Hope you are correct. Seems a stretch but it'd be a good day's work for the administration to pull that off.
aint got nothing to with that administration... geezus. they don't do crap.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”