Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Here we go again...Looks like the OC is out

AppDub
School: Appalachian State

Re: Here we go again...Looks like the OC is out

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:14 am

bcoach wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:57 am
Might not be a bad idea to leave it alone. Comments about them and how they feel really are not helpful on a public board. Leave that kind of thing to " The View".
Could have chosen any sports talk show to reference and you decided on "The View?" So mean.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:30 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:52 am
I think most of us understand why those guys might be disappointed, and I hope Watts gets his shot at some point (here at App). I don't know much about Ware, but everything I've heard is that he's a great guy. This was a critical hire for Clark though and I don't think the situation was right to take a flyer on an inexperienced OC. Hopefully, some of that increased salary pool gets shared with these talented coaches so that we can keep them here at App.
Just curious about your statement about Clark couldn’t afford to take a chance on an inexperienced play caller. What qualifies Frank to be considered experienced? He did it for 13 games in 2021. That’s it at the collegiate level. Based on conversations on this site, Watts allegedly took over play calling from Peterson.

It isn’t like Watts isn’t at all capable. He knows the offense and he has vast experience planning and installing a game plan. The resumes between the two aren’t all that different.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:04 am

The reason Ponce was selected over Watts wasn't from a OC standpoint. It was because of the QB coach aspect. Both are capable play callers.

Watts has never coached QBs. Ponce has -- and extensively. That was the big difference.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:34 am

Every starting QB that Ponce has coached at App has earned All Conference Honors. He has a really good track record with QB's at App State.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:52 am

He had Watts, added Ponce. If he took Watts, you drop to a lower level on who you get to take. Surely Ponce doesn't come as a position coach. He's got two really good guys, either of which could land a bigger offer at any time. Playing the short game and so far has won it.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:20 pm

After a 6-6 season, you have to be careful when you say the old Appalachian favorite, "the best man for the job [for a promotion] was under our nose." That would've gone over like a fart in church with much of the fanbase.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:54 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:30 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:52 am
I think most of us understand why those guys might be disappointed, and I hope Watts gets his shot at some point (here at App). I don't know much about Ware, but everything I've heard is that he's a great guy. This was a critical hire for Clark though and I don't think the situation was right to take a flyer on an inexperienced OC. Hopefully, some of that increased salary pool gets shared with these talented coaches so that we can keep them here at App.
Just curious about your statement about Clark couldn’t afford to take a chance on an inexperienced play caller. What qualifies Frank to be considered experienced? He did it for 13 games in 2021. That’s it at the collegiate level. Based on conversations on this site, Watts allegedly took over play calling from Peterson.

It isn’t like Watts isn’t at all capable. He knows the offense and he has vast experience planning and installing a game plan. The resumes between the two aren’t all that different.
I'm sure you're right about Watts and his abilities. True that Ponce has only been the OC for one season, but he was Co-OC for 5 years prior to that. Just seemed to me, from a lay person's perspective, he was the more vetted candidate but I get your point that they aren't that far apart in terms of experience.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:54 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:04 am
The reason Ponce was selected over Watts wasn't from a OC standpoint. It was because of the QB coach aspect. Both are capable play callers.

Watts has never coached QBs. Ponce has -- and extensively. That was the big difference.
That makes sense

asunate

Unread post by asunate » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:30 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:20 pm
After a 6-6 season, you have to be careful when you say the old Appalachian favorite, "the best man for the job [for a promotion] was under our nose." That would've gone over like a fart in church with much of the fanbase.
100%

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:31 pm

AppDub wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:14 am
bcoach wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:57 am
Might not be a bad idea to leave it alone. Comments about them and how they feel really are not helpful on a public board. Leave that kind of thing to " The View".
Could have chosen any sports talk show to reference and you decided on "The View?" So mean.
Just trying to be accurate.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:53 pm

I wish App would work hard at securing some baseball and basketball contracts that look like this. App vs WakeForest at WakeForest. All App sold tickets go to App Basketball. All Wake sold tickets go to Wake.

Davidson at a neutral court with the same contract.

UNCG with the same contract Greensboro Coliseum. NCA&T, Campbell same concept.
Hopefully it would lead to some good games and App making some money.

App used to sell a lot of tickets for UNCG and UNCG got the money. We have fans in NC that can't drive to games in Boone in midweek games that I think would show up. Better yet a Pepsi NC Invitational Tournament in Greensboro with Campbell, App, UNCC, Davidson, ECU, Wilmington Call it the NC invitational and invite everyone. See who shows up to play.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:40 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:53 pm
I wish App would work hard at securing some baseball and basketball contracts that look like this. App vs WakeForest at WakeForest. All App sold tickets go to App Basketball. All Wake sold tickets go to Wake.

Davidson at a neutral court with the same contract.

UNCG with the same contract Greensboro Coliseum. NCA&T, Campbell same concept.
Hopefully it would lead to some good games and App making some money.

App used to sell a lot of tickets for UNCG and UNCG got the money. We have fans in NC that can't drive to games in Boone in midweek games that I think would show up. Better yet a Pepsi NC Invitational Tournament in Greensboro with Campbell, App, UNCC, Davidson, ECU, Wilmington Call it the NC invitational and invite everyone. See who shows up to play.
I think you are on the wrong thread. This one is about the OC for the football staff.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”