Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Way too early Top 25

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Way too early Top 25

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:47 am

mike87 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:43 am
isn't the current recruiting class the highest rated in the league? I guess that had nothing to do with Clark though. And who says we don't have a DC hire. Not announced DC hire maybe.
I believe that we do have our DC.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:55 am

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:08 am
pop5app wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:10 am
AppSt12 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:02 pm
Not being sarcastic...what are some things that should make us feel good about next year? I dont know alot about our recruiting class coming in.

I am a noted HUGE shawn clark hater since he was hired...and so far Ive been right...i feel like we are losing all of our players and we havnt recruited anyone who gets any playing time in years. Weve been living off extended time from covid rules. Am I wrong to expect a 2-5 win season...or are we shapeing up to be stronger.

Do we have any good reason to think we could return to prominence next year...or will it likely be a slow rebuild?
Great post. I am not a Clark hater but I do think the jury is still out on his coaching ability . That in itself is concerning in that we are 4 years in and we’re asking those questions. I do wonder what we see that causes us to be optimistic about next year. I’m hoping there is real information and not rah-rah stuff.
I find myself feeling the same. Honestly, had it not been for the then annual coaching turnover, I probably would not have been thrilled with the coach Clark hire. I really like Clark but what made the hire okay for me was the value of added consistency in College football and the players really seemed to like him. Now, without the TA&M win and with a smaller buy-out, he would already be gone. I don't know enough to say what the problem is but there is definitely a problem with our team. Since his hire, whatever you can say, you cannot deny a general downward trend in the only statistic that really matters in sports; wins and losses. Hopefully the coaching changes made will correct or begin to correct the problem but the lack of a DC hire makes me wonder further about our near term prospects. I am pulling for Clark as I know most of us are but in the end what I'm really pulling for is the TEAM and putting them in the best position to be successful. I'll leave it at that.
Both the two above post are spot on. I feel the same way along with some ex-players that have voiced their opinions on the forsaken bird app throughout the past 2 years. I think Gillin sensed the lack of coaching ability so restructured the contract and gave assistant pool more money. So now, we can keep and surround Clark with the best we can get to help him make decisions. Clark is still new and learning as well and hopefully this is the year we can see some coaching improvement. His relationships with the players, his recruiting, his Love for App and the Culture is through the roof, so let's see if these coordinators and assistants can help get him where he needs to go. Let's go APP! It's a long 8 months from here....
We turn the page to basketball/baseball season.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:09 am

If his relationship with players, recruiting and culture is through the roof then he's already a good head coach. I don't get the dissatisfaction other than we had a bad win loss record last year when we knew going in that it was a tough slate and we were thin in a couple positions.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:30 am

Brice, Peoples and Wells are gone. We should be fine with RBs and WRs. Think we lose one or none OL. Defense, we lose Steven Jones and Nick Hampton? Who else makes up everybody we are losing? What impact players transferred out? Better yet, what contributors besides Wells transferred out?

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:47 am

mike87 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:09 am
If his relationship with players, recruiting and culture is through the roof then he's already a good head coach. I don't get the dissatisfaction other than we had a bad win loss record last year when we knew going in that it was a tough slate and we were thin in a couple positions.
Meh, he does some things great. He recruit his tail off, retains talent, and puts on an excellent face for the program, but his in-game management after 3 years is still that of a first year coach. The dissatisfaction is that we’re well under .500 vs teams with a winning record and missed out on going to a bowl game. If this was Drink doing that the discontent would be coming from a much larger portion of the fan base.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:06 am

AppState89 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:02 pm
North Carolina Tar Heels L 63-61 ---- 2pts-----2pt conversion catch, WE WIN
Texas A&M Football W 17-14
Troy W 32-28 ----- WE WON, luck, yes, but I'll take the luck
James Madison Dukes L 32-28 ---- 4pts----- ANY stop in the 2nd half, WE WIN. Plus bad call.
The Citadel Bulldogs W 49-0
Texas State Bobcats L 36-24 -----8pts -----We just got beat this game
Georgia State Panthers W 42-17
Robert Morris Colonials W 42-3
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers L 35-28 ----7pts ----- A stop here or there, WE WIN
Marshall Thundering Herd L 28-21 ----7pts ----- A stop here or there, WE WIN
Old Dominion Monarchs W 27-14
Georgia Southern Eagles L 51-48(2OT)--- 3pts --- No miss FG, WE WIN. More important if we had just 1 STOP on
defense WE WIN.

This past season to US APP FANS sucked, but we lost 6 games by a total of 31 points. I didn't realize it until now. Just a few plays here and there or stops on defense and we only get beat by Texas State. A Texas State team we should have beat the crap out of. We missed a FG against The Stink, but for the defense to give up 51 points, can't put the blame all on the kicker. We were sooooooo close to having a GREAT season, but we didn't.

Let those give us no credit, but I feel this next season will be a good one. We didn't know what to expect out of Zac and it worked out good for us. We don't know to expect out of our QB next season, but we will all be surprised I believe. I also see an upgrade with out DBs too.

Go App!!!
When I left College Station on that Sunday, I thought we had a legit shot to win the Sun Belt. However, going into Coastal I had resolved in my mind that we would finish anywhere from 5-7 to 7-5.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:16 am

Clark took over a marginal top 25 team. Not counting Drink's 2019 team, he beat at team that but for COVID would not have been in a bowl game (N. Texas), got beat (badly) by Western Kentucky, and failed to qualify for a bowl game. We won conference titles in '16, '17, '18, and '19, then Clark: we lost the title game in '21 and finished 4th in the division in '22. To, what I think, the original poster point was: we're not even a team to watch in '23. Clark can be "the guy", but those of us who see a progam in decline can't just be jerks full of... poop.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:25 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:16 am
Clark took over a marginal top 25 team. Not counting Drink's 2019 team, he beat at team that but for COVID would not have been in a bowl game (N. Texas), got beat (badly) by Western Kentucky, and failed to qualify for a bowl game. We won conference titles in '16, '17, '18, and '19, then Clark: we lost the title game in '21 and finished 4th in the division in '22. To, what I think, the original poster point was: we're not even a team to watch in '23. Clark can be "the guy", but those of us who see a progam in decline can't just be jerks full of... poop.
Those are fair points to support your position. That we are failing on all levels, that the players hate Clark and every player is exiting the program are not valid points as suggested by another poster.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:34 am

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:47 am
mike87 wrote:
Meh, he does some things great. He recruit his tail off, retains talent, and puts on an excellent face for the program, but his in-game management after 3 years is still that of a first year coach. The dissatisfaction is that we’re well under .500 vs teams with a winning record and missed out on going to a bowl game. If this was Drink doing that the discontent would be coming from a much larger portion of the fan base.
So he goes for it on 4th down. That's the problem. Defense lost some games so he fired one of the more popular coaches we have ever had and a personal friend who was DC. Sounds like a good move. He isn't Drink. Firing the coach is what all the cool kids do so maybe that's the answer is what I'm hearing. Sounds like a lot of people who have never managed people or had to fire someone talking.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:32 pm

mike87 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:34 am
mike87 wrote:
So he goes for it on 4th down. That's the problem. Defense lost some games so he fired one of the more popular coaches we have ever had and a personal friend who was DC. Sounds like a good move. He isn't Drink. Firing the coach is what all the cool kids do so maybe that's the answer is what I'm hearing. Sounds like a lot of people who have never managed people or had to fire someone talking.
Going for it on 4th down isn’t necessarily the issue. Hell I love the aggression and the “we’re gonna man up and do this” mentality. But the 4th down catastrophes (emphasis on the plurality) is that they’re one of many examples of poor game management that you’ll often see new coaches make, yet we’ve just gone thru year #3. Are we any more confident in what the team can do with a minute or two left before the half than we were 2 seasons ago? How often have we decided to randomly go under center in the redzone and put the ball on the turf?

I don’t want to go through instance by instance at the risk of sounding nitpicky, but when it keeps happening with no evidence of improvement then one tends to end up seeing the writing on the wall.

Discussing moving on from any coach will always feel uncouth to some, but being a college ball coach is an insane way to make a living. You have the opportunity to have a statue built in your honor for thousands to see, and you have the risk of moving your family every single year. You accept those possibilities when you sign that contract. It’s a crazy profession to be in, but to quote a fictional salesman, “that’s what the money is for.”

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:01 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:16 am
You are correct in your assumption about my point.

Not only are we no longer a team to watch nationally, we aren’t even on the conference radar. I count FOUR Sun Belt teams on that list, not including JMU who frankly should be there too. Heck ESPN has JMU in their “way too early” Top 25.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... all-top-25

That used to be us and instead we finished 4th in our division of the Sun Belt. Life comes at you fast. Hopefully we aren’t on the path to full irrelevance a la Arky State.
YNWA

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:31 pm

Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:32 pm
mike87 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:34 am
mike87 wrote:
Going for it on 4th down isn’t necessarily the issue. Hell I love the aggression and the “we’re gonna man up and do this” mentality. But the 4th down catastrophes (emphasis on the plurality) is that they’re one of many examples of poor game management that you’ll often see new coaches make, yet we’ve just gone thru year #3. Are we any more confident in what the team can do with a minute or two left before the half than we were 2 seasons ago? How often have we decided to randomly go under center in the redzone and put the ball on the turf?

I don’t want to go through instance by instance at the risk of sounding nitpicky, but when it keeps happening with no evidence of improvement then one tends to end up seeing the writing on the wall.

Discussing moving on from any coach will always feel uncouth to some, but being a college ball coach is an insane way to make a living. You have the opportunity to have a statue built in your honor for thousands to see, and you have the risk of moving your family every single year. You accept those possibilities when you sign that contract. It’s a crazy profession to be in, but to quote a fictional salesman, “that’s what the money is for.”
2 minute drill is a function of your receiver room and 2 years ago ours was pretty dang good. Last year, all of a sudden it wasn't. Our QB could sling it but he ran like I do. I'm an old man. So 1 dimensional. Personnel was an issue, really last 2 years but some of the covid hid it and we were exposed last year. I disagree with the Fire Clark crowd. I think it's shortsighted. But no point in really arguing about it either. Peace.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:37 pm

Is SC looking for a QB or having his and our fortunes hinging on a RS freshman - serious question. After seeing Kanye Roberts run I believe he has a great career ahead of him but I don't think he's my starter next year, same for Burger, who I've seen play even less than Roberts. We are in a tough league, we are going to have to have someone ready to go or it could be not what we want in total season wins again.
Last edited by Black Saturday on Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLACK SATURDAY

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:41 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:37 pm
Is SC looking for a QB or having his and our fortunes hinging on a RS freshman - serious question.
RS Freshman, JuCo out of Oakland or McBride. Going to be an exciting season any way you slice it! But with DC gone now, we might go grab another.

Troy, Southern, , Tx State and Southern Miss went out and got a Transfer qb for what it's worth.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:57 pm

311neers wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:41 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Is SC looking for a QB or having his and our fortunes hinging on a RS freshman - serious question.
RS Freshman, JuCo out of Oakland or McBride. Going to be an exciting season any way you slice it! But with DC gone now, we might go grab another.

Troy, Southern, , Tx State and Southern Miss went out and got a Transfer qb for what it's worth.
JMU got one last year that made a lot of difference for them, they lost when he was out and played big when he was healthy.
BLACK SATURDAY

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:59 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:57 pm
311neers wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:41 pm
Black Saturday wrote:

JMU got one last year that made a lot of difference for them, they lost when he was out and played big when he was healthy.
Not many left in portal, I think we've got our guy. Unless a UGA or TCU qb enters, we're probably set.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:09 pm

mike87 wrote:
In Satt's last three years, we were a combined 10-7 against FBS teams with winning records and in the last two seasons 9 of 23 FBS teams had winning records. Shawn in his three years is 7-10 against those types of teams and in the last two season 12 of the 22 FBS opponents had winning records. Satt coached teams lost to two teams with losing records, Shawn one. Shawn also owns a P5 win, Satt none. Satt is 3-0 in bowl games, Shawn 2-1. Satt made a bowl game every year we were eligible, we know about this year. Satt has won conference titles, Shawn has none. No doubt, Satt's tenure was more successful than Shawn's to date. Some act as if Shawn's tenure has been a disaster and I just don't think that is the case. Yes, this year was the first is a while that we weren't clearly better than most of our opposition and it is a trend that needs not to continue. It is also fair to say that the Sun Belt that Shawn confronts is significantly better than the one Satt had to contend with game in and game out.

That's not an attempt to make excuses but sometimes its not always apples to apples comparison. And, it fair to say that this year is criticla for Shawn regain the confidence that many fans have lost, but I don't necessarily think it is make or break. Though, the one caveat would be if we fell below this year's performance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”