Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

DC Tabscott into Transfer Portal

WASU 93
School: Appalachian State

Re: DC Tabscott into Transfer Portal

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:11 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:24 pm
I think it's fair to point out when a recruit turns out to be a miss, especially when we've had a series of them at the most important position on the field.

Beyond that, getting into implying that people are dumb - regardless of whether it's true - isn't really the best look IMO.
Are they a series of misses (we have had a couple)? QB is a tough position to identify hits or misses, because in most seasons only 1 or 2 players (if your are fortunate with injuries) actually see playing time. It's not like WR or RB where 5-10 players see the field per game, plus players have Special Team opportunities. Add in the fact that we have had Brice and McBride transfer in with playing experience and the QB room can get awful crowded. Add in when starters play 2 or 3 year stints and there's a reason that players transfer out.

As for former players, I appreciate all of them that come up the mountain and put in the work in practice, film study and the weight room. They are all a part of our program, whether they are in Boone for 1 year or 6 years.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:15 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:11 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
I think it's fair to point out when a recruit turns out to be a miss, especially when we've had a series of them at the most important position on the field.

Beyond that, getting into implying that people are dumb - regardless of whether it's true - isn't really the best look IMO.
Are they a series of misses (we have had a couple)? QB is a tough position to identify hits or misses, because in most seasons only 1 or 2 players (if your are fortunate with injuries) actually see playing time. It's not like WR or RB where 5-10 players see the field per game, plus players have Special Team opportunities. Add in the fact that we have had Brice and McBride transfer in with playing experience and the QB room can get awful crowded. Add in when starters play 2 or 3 year stints and there's a reason that players transfer out.

As for former players, I appreciate all of them that come up the mountain and put in the work in practice, film study and the weight room. They are all a part of our program, whether they are in Boone for 1 year or 6 years.
The last guy we recruited who went on to start a game at App was in the class of 2016.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, Tabscott is the first QB who has transferred from App and received another FBS scholarship. And the guys who have gone FCS haven't exactly dominated there either. From what I've read, let's just say the coaches weren't exactly begging any of them to reconsider.

We brought in Brice because we didn't have a capable starter in the room. We brought in McBride because we didn't want to risk burning Burger's redshirt, and the only other option was Tabscott, who was behind both of them.

Appreciate your generosity, but yes, we've missed on a lot of QB recruits.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:28 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:15 am
WASU 93 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

The last guy we recruited who went on to start a game at App was in the class of 2016.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, Tabscott is the first QB who has transferred from App and received another FBS scholarship. And the guys who have gone FCS haven't exactly dominated there either. From what I've read, let's just say the coaches weren't exactly begging any of them to reconsider.

We brought in Brice because we didn't have a capable starter in the room. We brought in McBride because we didn't want to risk burning Burger's redshirt, and the only other option was Tabscott, who was behind both of them.

DC Tabscott - 2021
Navy Shuler - 2020
David Baldwin-Griffin - 2019
Stephon Brown - 2018
Peyton Derrick - 2017

All the QBs we've recruiting since 2016 when we signed Zac Thomas and Jacob Huesman. All misses. We are 100% on missing in the QB room since the 2016 recruiting class.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:35 am

biggie wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:29 pm
Tabscott has committed to New Mexico
Wish him the best.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:45 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:28 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:15 am
WASU 93 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

DC Tabscott - 2021
Navy Shuler - 2020
David Baldwin-Griffin - 2019
Stephon Brown - 2018
Peyton Derrick - 2017

All the QBs we've recruiting since 2016 when we signed Zac Thomas and Jacob Huesman. All misses. We are 100% on missing in the QB room since the 2016 recruiting class.
Ah, I was trying to remember all the names mentally (don't forget QB/ATH Andre Goodman in '21, who also already left), and for the life of me I couldn't remember 2018. I was so optimistic about Brown, too. I guess he did technically get another FBS opportunity, though not directly from App. Flamed out there too, though. What a whiff.

Hopefully Burger (and/or McHugh) is the end of that streak.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:53 am

I’m kind of excited about Aguilar as well.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:59 am

None of those were better than Zac - so it didn't matter - Huesman stayed around as the back-up and I'm guessing none were better than him either ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:29 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:53 am
I read somewhere that Ponce was also pretty high on Aguilar, and may have brought him to our attention. Can that be confirmed?

I am very high on Burger and know that Ponce is as well. Very excited to see what the young man can do!

GO APPS!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:31 am

appstate24 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:29 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:53 am
I read somewhere that Ponce was also pretty high on Aguilar, and may have brought him to our attention. Can that be confirmed?

I am very high on Burger and know that Ponce is as well. Very excited to see what the young man can do!

GO APPS!!
Yes, confirmed. Ponce is who put us on to Aguilar
tAPPedInSports.net

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:40 am

Since Zac was so good and we won big with him those "whiffs" are really irrelevant, not them personally but strictly from a playing perspective. I'm sure most schools have the exact same thing happen every year. Once a guy starts the season at 4th (or lower) on a depth chart he's probably not gonna play unless there is an insane number of injuries. How many snaps has our number 2 QB gotten over the last 5 or so years? Did Chase miss a start? I only recall minimal garbage time over his 2 seasons. Before that Zac missed one game maybe and got hurt that Southern game. Obviously backups are needed but in reality few play much in a season unless there is injury.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:43 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:40 am
Since Zac was so good and we won big with him those "whiffs" are really irrelevant, not them personally but strictly from a playing perspective. I'm sure most schools have the exact same thing happen every year. Once a guy starts the season at 4th (or lower) on a depth chart he's probably not gonna play unless there is an insane number of injuries. How many snaps has our number 2 QB gotten over the last 5 or so years? Did Chase miss a start? I only recall minimal garbage time over his 2 seasons. Before that Zac missed one game maybe and got hurt that Southern game. Obviously backups are needed but in reality few play much in a season unless there is injury.
All of those guys could have played last season had any of them panned out. Instead, we were forced to go to the portal two years in a row to balance the room.

We missed on QBs. No other way to put it.
tAPPedInSports.net

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:02 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:43 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
All of those guys could have played last season had any of them panned out. Instead, we were forced to go to the portal two years in a row to balance the room.

Looking back at our 2019, 2020, and even 2021 classes, we haven't been able to retain those guys. 75% of the 2019 and 2020 classes are no longer on the roster and a decent bit of the 2021 class is even gone. What do you attribute our lack of being able to retain players to the most? Obviously the coaching stability (coaches leaving) is a major reason, maybe players just not being ready for our culture? Recruiting the wrong kids? To me, the lack of being able to keep the 2019-2021 class bit us HARD this year.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:20 pm

311neers wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:02 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Looking back at our 2019, 2020, and even 2021 classes, we haven't been able to retain those guys. 75% of the 2019 and 2020 classes are no longer on the roster and a decent bit of the 2021 class is even gone. What do you attribute our lack of being able to retain players to the most? Obviously the coaching stability (coaches leaving) is a major reason, maybe players just not being ready for our culture? Recruiting the wrong kids? To me, the lack of being able to keep the 2019-2021 class bit us HARD this year.
Agreed and I can only imagine how hard it is to keep a QB room in tact in the age of the transfer portal even if the coach remains the same for consecutive years. Everyone wants playing time and realizes they have a fixed window of time to get it. Too easy nowadays to just cut bait and leave for a lesser starting gig. I empathize with the coaches of today.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:34 pm

311neers wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

2019 kids were primarily recruited by Satt and he left. That usually gets a lot of transfers.
2020 kids were primarily recruited by Drink and he left. That usually gets a lot of transfers.
2021 kids were primarily recruited by Clark in the middle of a pandemic. No in home visits, no workouts, etc. Higher likelihood of misses and/or culture mis-matches. And all programs are experiencing larger than normal transfers this season -- this is likely playing a large part.
tAPPedInSports.net

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:57 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

This is objectively true, and I don't understand why some people apparently are so determined to argue with it. It's kind of crazy that "missing on every QB recruit for five straight years is bad" is somehow a controversial take.

If the answer is that it didn't matter (which is debatable), we also missed on a lot of recruits at other positions during that time and weren't able to cover those up through the portal.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:31 pm

At our level these "misses" have more of an impact I would think .We need primary recruits to be contributors at a high percentage, and fairly early on.Perhaps we need a better assessment process of intangibles?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:13 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:34 pm
311neers wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

2019 kids were primarily recruited by Satt and he left. That usually gets a lot of transfers.
2020 kids were primarily recruited by Drink and he left. That usually gets a lot of transfers.
2021 kids were primarily recruited by Clark in the middle of a pandemic. No in home visits, no workouts, etc. Higher likelihood of misses and/or culture mis-matches. And all programs are experiencing larger than normal transfers this season -- this is likely playing a large part.
Exactly, and factor in the transfer portal on top of those points. I would thin turnover is up for most programs since the portal was adopted and transfer rules relaxed.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:44 pm

Hope DC lights it up with new team. Seems like a great kid
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:37 pm

Any kid that wants to play I do not begrudge hitting the portal. I wish him the best

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”