Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

KeSean Brown Not Happy with APP FB

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: KeSean Brown Not Happy with APP FB

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:41 pm

I think that extra Covid year (across the board) was ridiculous. It should have been based on games played. Didn't we play 10 plus a bowl? I can understand if a school cancelled their season or played less than, say 8 games (whatever a reasonable number is). When it was announced I asked how could the average school afford the extra scholarship money. Now we have seen guys hang around for 6 years. This particular story shouldn't even be on this board but considering the fact that this young man put it out there I get it. I'm sure that our coaching staff made a very good decision and they owe nobody outside of the school, team or his family an explanation.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:47 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:41 pm
There is a high road and we should walk it.
The instant a person clicks on the internet, they have left the high road. The instant a person clicks on social media, they have left reality.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:53 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:47 pm
goapps93 wrote:
The instant a person clicks on the internet, they have left the high road. The instant a person clicks on social media, they have left reality.
I don’t believe that at all.
WE ARE YOSEF!

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:59 pm

Unfortunately, he is not unlike many people who become emotional about something and then post it on social media. I hate it for the guy, but he got four years of scholarship here. I am sure the program was not kicking him out. i'm glad he found a place to play where he'll get a scholarship and be able to finish. But let me say that Marshall is notorious for attracting disgruntled players who leave other places in a bad way I.e. Randy Moss.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:08 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:22 pm
Perhaps, he indicated he wanted to finish his degree so he could enter the transfer portal as a grad transfer. I'm guessing, if this is true, when he expressed an intent to go elsewhere, his scholarship was pulled. If he had wanted to stay, I assume he would have remained on scholarship. I'm also guessing, once in the portal, you are no longer a part of this program and there's no coming back.
I stand corrected. If what I heard is true we did the right thing.

I am not shocked he ended up at Marshall. They love the PR of this and they have really low standards so they would accept him for sure. I do think Brown will be a starter and impact player for them. I wish him luck for sure. He is a good one and I think he just made an assumption instead of getting answers before the entered the portal. He also likely got some bad advice from his mentors, family, and others in his ear who don't have to handle the consequences of a bad decision.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:15 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:49 pm
asugoapps wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:41 pm
What happened to make him leave and transfer to Marshall. Looks like it’s going to be an interesting homecoming for him.

KeSean Brown
@Kaptin_k_2
Stripped me of my scholarship so I couldn't finish my degree and enter the portal as a grad transfer, its ok though I found an amazing program to call home' #thunderingherd .So make sure you're ready to see me again under different circumstances'
#WeAreMarshall

KESEAN BROWN
COMMITTED
LINEBACKER
Exactly what he said. He was told his scholarship would not be renewed. There are various reasons that would happen.
True!
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:25 pm

Luke talked to the coaches and he was asked to stay. He indicated that he wanted to go into the portal and find a spot that would give him a good chance to play more and possibly start. He went from playing almost 500 snaps in 2021 to less than 100 in 2022. The coaches were disappointed but understood Luke’s position and respected his decision. He is in Boone for the Spring Semester to compete is degree.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:30 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:16 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:54 pm
It sounds bad, but the reality is that he wasn’t denied an educational opportunity. He chose to leave rather than paying for his education.

I have no knowledge of Brown’s socio-economic ability to pay for school and I can understand wanting a scholarship
These two sentences are incompatible.

Without knowledge of his family's ability to pay, it's impossible to say whether he was or was not denied an educational opportunity.

And I don't like the academic shaming going on here. Student athletes go at different speeds for their education. Maybe he changed his major or was undecided for a while? Plus a year-ish of his four years was during COVID and virtual learning.

Worst thing is that besides message board sources, we're not going to get any answers because Clark won't (and probably should) talk about it. And I doubt he's asked about it in a press conference setting.
I get your point about academic shaming. It took me a good bit more than 4 years to get my degree. I’m not meaning to judge that. However, athletes get a LOT of academic supports that other students don’t get. An athlete not having finished their degree in 4 years (including summer school) sends me the “we ain’t here to play school” message. But that’s a lot of assumption on my part, and we all know what happens when we assume.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:40 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:25 pm
Luke talked to the coaches and he was asked to stay. He indicated that he wanted to go into the portal and find a spot that would give him a good chance to play more and possibly start. He went from playing almost 500 snaps in 2021 to less than 100 in 2022. The coaches were disappointed but understood Luke’s position and respected his decision. He is in Boone for the Spring Semester to compete is degree.
So since you know first hand on this one that is understandable. Is he on athletic or academic scholarship or paying his own way this spring?

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:59 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:22 pm
...I'm also guessing, once in the portal, you are no longer a part of this program and there's no coming back.
My thought is that you go to college for the experience and/or to improve your lot in life. If 2 years in Boone helps someone improve their life by being recruited to a higher profile program and they get more NIL or a shot at the league because of it, then we did our job. Always a Mountaineer. I also believe that it is only right that anyone should always be allowed to come home.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:20 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
So since you know first hand on this one that is understandable. Is he on athletic or academic scholarship or paying his own way this spring?
I don’t know the answer with absolute certainty. I imagine that he is and I may ask when I see him. My feeling is that he may very well be. Based on how App fairs in the next round of portal activity, or if there are injuries in Spring ball, they could very well come back to Luke and discuss a potential return so it would behoove App to not close that door. While he has committed to ETSU, transfers aren’t bound to anything until they show up on campus. His grades are good enough that he could probably get some academic aid, but I don’t know.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:34 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:20 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I don’t know the answer with absolute certainty. I imagine that he is and I may ask when I see him. My feeling is that he may very well be. Based on how App fairs in the next round of portal activity, or if there are injuries in Spring ball, they could very well come back to Luke and discuss a potential return so it would behoove App to not close that door. While he has committed to ETSU, transfers aren’t bound to anything until they show up on campus. His grades are good enough that he could probably get some academic aid, but I don’t know.
Yes nothing is bound until they show up so a lot could change. I totally understand him wanting more playing time and I think ETSU is actually an ideal spot. He will be an All-SoCon pick like others we had who went there and Chattanooga.

Did you hear where Sankey wants to get rid of early signing period? I have a feeling there are two causes to that and one is to separate it from the portal. Coaches don't like having signing day and the portal at the same time. I think the other reason is they want to be able to string along players through January. I think if any changes to early signing it should move to August so players can get it out of the way before their senior year if they want to. That would fix it and prevent P5 schools from just stringing players along all season and through January.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:42 pm

I have 100% confidence he was told his scholarship would not be renewed for reasons that were not off field, transfer desire, or grades related. Take that how you want.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:10 pm

Seems like this conversation is better suited for the Lodge.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:19 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:42 pm
I have 100% confidence he was told his scholarship would not be renewed for reasons that were not off field, transfer desire, or grades related. Take that how you want.
Interesting. If what I heard is true then we did not do wrong here but I do wish him well. Maybe Marshall is a good spot for him.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:08 pm

I hope they go 0-12.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:16 pm

He wasn't at App four years. He played four football seasons. He was here 3.5 years. He's saying App pulled his scholarship for that final semester because he announced his plans to go elsewhere for grad school and his covid bonus season.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:30 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:53 pm
appdaze wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:47 pm
goapps93 wrote:
I don’t believe that at all.
You have to it was on the internet.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:04 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:16 pm
He wasn't at App four years. He played four football seasons. He was here 3.5 years. He's saying App pulled his scholarship for that final semester because he announced his plans to go elsewhere for grad school and his covid bonus season.
Not possible. A scholarship is for an entire year. He had the option to finish it out. He chose not to.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:11 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:41 pm
I think that extra Covid year (across the board) was ridiculous. It should have been based on games played. Didn't we play 10 plus a bowl? I can understand if a school cancelled their season or played less than, say 8 games (whatever a reasonable number is). When it was announced I asked how could the average school afford the extra scholarship money. Now we have seen guys hang around for 6 years. This particular story shouldn't even be on this board but considering the fact that this young man put it out there I get it. I'm sure that our coaching staff made a very good decision and they owe nobody outside of the school, team or his family an explanation.
I know nothing about K.Brown's situation other than what I read in this thread but the Family Education Rights and Privacy Rights Act of 1974 (aka The Buckly Amendment) is in force and protects the privacy of college students under the age of 24 who are enrolled in a public institution that accepts and subsequently obligates/spends funds allocated by the U.S. Departmen of Education.

It is generally* accepted that FERPA also offers privacy protection to college students under the age of 24 who are enrolled in a private institution that accepts/obligates/spends funds in whole or in part by a program of the U.S. Department of Education. *This is a gray area in the law that necessitates the involvement of the private institution's legal counsel.

Since K.Brown's case seems likely to involve his academic and/or athletic progress and very possibly his record of compliance with rules/regs applicable to all university students and compliance with rules/regs applicable to all university athletes--regardless of status as a walk-on student, a partial scholarship student or a full scholarship student.

FERPA does nor permit any member of the Chancellor's staff, the Athletic Department staff or the Coaching staff to discuss Brown's academic status, athletic status or his status as a cooperative citizen with the news media or with his/her/their parents/guardians without his/her/their written permission. Discussion of these topics with a federal, state, county, city, town or community law enforcement agency requires a court order.
Last edited by asu66 on Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”