Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App 23 roster/depth chart

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: App 23 roster/depth chart

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:08 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:03 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:30 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:41 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:31 am

I haven’t been particularly impressed with our O line play over the last 3 years. I could point out things in a number of games but I’ll just go to this one. We couldn’t impose our will on Robert Morris. They forced us to throw the ball.
So the lynchpin to your opinion is based on our performance against a team that we had out third highest ypc? The only games that were higher were Southern and Carolina. We ran the ball 43 times and passed 29. OK.

I guess my question would be what type of performance would have made you feel better in that game?
A few pieces of context, you can make stats paint a picture but that doesn’t always reflect reality. Robert Morris was one of, if not the worst FCS team in the country. Not the worst P5, or G5 team but the worst FCS team. Context matters. I understand you chose to run or pass based on how the defense aligns. I understand stand that sometimes you run to free up the pass and sometimes you pass to free up the run game. Against reasonable good competition you will have to run or pass based on the numbers in the box. But against the worst team in the FCS a good G5 team should be able to run against a packed box. We couldn’t do that, we had to throw the ball to run the ball. We came out clearly wanting to run the ball and they shut us down. It wasn’t until we started throwing the ball that we had any success running the ball. Go watch the game. They flat out stuffed our run game.
I really think that you are letting a few plays cloud your opinion. Almost half of our rushes were by Castle and Roberts. Cam had a bad game but everyone else seemed to thrive, but again, OK.
Go watch the first half and tell me you’re impressed.
Just so we are clear, I have no problem with your opinion of the OL play. What I find fascinating with your argument is that you don’t raise concern with poor performances against teams like Troy, JMU, Texas St and Coastal which were really bad. But your position is based on the fact that we didn’t beat Robert Morris bad enough to your liking and that disappointment over shadows some impressive performances against the Georgia schools, Carolina and ODU. You should refill your eggnog glass. It appears to be half full.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:09 pm

Brendon Harrington played in 1 game and Trey Cobb played in only 6 out of 12. One of many reasons we did not get off the field on 3rd down.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:18 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:42 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:36 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:09 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:55 pm

There is another aspect to the equation that needs to be acknowledged and that is the quality of the talent pool. Sometimes there isn’t enough quality in the quantity.
True , and often varies among positions year to year.We did make offers and host visitors that we wanted though and failed to close the deals.We have to find a way to make up for the misses.
You also have to look at who you are losing out to. 12 of the 19 offers out to hs tackles went to P5s. 11 of the 18 offers to IOL went to P5s or schools moving up to P5 next year.
Our blocking scheme requires a certain skill set to function. Clark knows what he is looking for. But to the point that you need to get 3-4 guys a year, if you just get 3-4 guys to fill the quota and not viable options, you are setting yourself up for failure.
I know I give SC a hard time but it’s been 3 years, if he “knows what he is looking for” then why don’t we have the guys? I’m a broken record on this subject but if you don’t have a O line you don’t have on offense.
The statement that I understood him to make today that we didn't lose recruits to G5s is contradicted by the fact that we did.I find this bothersome as well.
From my recliner… IMO, we no longer have the luxury of waiting on 8-10 OL developmental players as they can now transfer or leave at anytime. They will move on if they are not completely bought in to App State program. Whoever we get from HS must be willing to out work everyone else in the weight and nutrition rooms.

Understand we lost significant momentum when a OL coach leaves especially at the wrong time. As you know, this will be the 3rd OL coach in the same number of seasons. It can't be good for the OL players and I'm sure the position group has suffered some long term effects.

If we can't run the ball we can't win.

Moving forward the most important player after QB is the Center. #1 OL priority is to find (1) smart, mentally strong HS player each year that we sign at the center/guard position to make the blocking calls and #2- (1) big nasty player at tackle (Mountain man). Let the head coach be the one that personally recruits these two key players. Go for a slightly bigger Noah Hannon type player at center and a Kendall Lamn player at tackle.

Add more analysts to the recruiting team to focus on all things JUCO and Transfer Portal for OL and DL in particular. Get them looking at film, on the road all year to see JUCO programs and evaluate talent. Because of the Transfer Portal for all players some really good JUCOs will be available at our G5 level. We must get bigger and stronger up front. Go for 1-2 Transfer players, and 1-2 JUCOs that have 2 or more years of eligibility. With hard work we can get get one inside and one outside OL player through the TP and JUCO route each year.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:23 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:08 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:03 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:30 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:41 am

So the lynchpin to your opinion is based on our performance against a team that we had out third highest ypc? The only games that were higher were Southern and Carolina. We ran the ball 43 times and passed 29. OK.

I guess my question would be what type of performance would have made you feel better in that game?
A few pieces of context, you can make stats paint a picture but that doesn’t always reflect reality. Robert Morris was one of, if not the worst FCS team in the country. Not the worst P5, or G5 team but the worst FCS team. Context matters. I understand you chose to run or pass based on how the defense aligns. I understand stand that sometimes you run to free up the pass and sometimes you pass to free up the run game. Against reasonable good competition you will have to run or pass based on the numbers in the box. But against the worst team in the FCS a good G5 team should be able to run against a packed box. We couldn’t do that, we had to throw the ball to run the ball. We came out clearly wanting to run the ball and they shut us down. It wasn’t until we started throwing the ball that we had any success running the ball. Go watch the game. They flat out stuffed our run game.
I really think that you are letting a few plays cloud your opinion. Almost half of our rushes were by Castle and Roberts. Cam had a bad game but everyone else seemed to thrive, but again, OK.
Go watch the first half and tell me you’re impressed.
Just so we are clear, I have no problem with your opinion of the OL play. What I find fascinating with your argument is that you don’t raise concern with poor performances against teams like Troy, JMU, Texas St and Coastal which were really bad. But your position is based on the fact that we didn’t beat Robert Morris bad enough to your liking and that disappointment over shadows some impressive performances against the Georgia schools, Carolina and ODU. You should refill your eggnog glass. It appears to be half full.
I just found the RM game to be a telling moment

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:06 pm

We will have to agree to disagree on your assessment based on that game. But the line as a whole underperformed in spots.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:28 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:02 am
I think a key to our defense is getting and playing linebackers who are closer to 6'3" and at least 230lbs. I realize that's easier said than done but the 6'0" 210lb dudes ain't getting it done.
Did you notice how our linebackers couldn't cover for shit this year? Remember Jackson at 6'0 220 lbs running with slot receivers and tight ends while also blowing up double teams to get at the quarterback?

You need guys who can cover. If you're not Alabama, you're not getting 6'3 230 lbs out of high school. You're getting 6'0 to 6'2, 200 lb guys who put on 20 to 25 lbs and can run.

Some of Apps best defenses had those smaller guys including but not limited to Caleb Spurlin and Caleb Fuller. Devin Stringer? Many guys have been smaller but when you run a 4.4, you can't be blocked more than half the time.

What you need is a defensive line that can eat blockers and keep the second level clean while also being able to destroy double teams to get after the quarterback on passing downs.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:18 pm

I'm not going to speak as an authority and say what we need to do as I do not consider myself as such. Although I will say when I look at our current young LBs I do get excited about our speed at that position. With proper development, I could see them absolutely carrying on the lineage of great LBs at App very well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”