Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App 23 roster/depth chart

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: App 23 roster/depth chart

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:10 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:53 am
Wow I think I put out a similar thread last year looking for the 2022 depth and a few people were able to make reasonable stabs at it. Is this the most uncertain offseason in a long time? We had runs of several seasons where we knew the QB situation as well as most key positions. We also had the crazy extra Covid year with super seniors. Now the Portal and what seems to be a larger than normal graduation class has really put a dent in our roster. When was the last time we had to fill nearly half of the roster?
Not just filling half the roster with players, but filling starters and guys that actually play.

RB we know- Noel, Marshall, Robert, Castle, will sign 1 more for depth. (Bishop or Calhoun is my guess)
WR we know- Robinson, Davis, Stroman, Horn, Pinckney, the 2 transfers, Coen Sutton.
QB room is done, just dont know who wins the race. Burger, McBride, Tabscott, Aguilar and some clipboard guys.
DB- would think the JuCo Transfer kids get inserted immediately and rotate young guys.
DL- Earle, KaRon, Clark for run stuffers. Ends- Spellman, Hopper, the 3 DE transfers. Nate Johnson, Aj Mebane. We seem to be loaded on the DL now.Probably forgetting some pieces.
LBs- Not sure who is returning really since this was our most experienced group. McLeod, Arnholdt, Harrington? Cobb? Parker? Bird gone, doublin gone, hampton gone. We signed 4 LB's so feel like we lose alot at LB position.
OL- We have had solid classes with O line. Lindsay will play, Daley, Seth Williams, Bucky if he stays. Would assume we take 2 to 3 more JuCo/Transfers to get PT immediately or rotate heavily.
Kicker- Hughes (i think)
Punter - Aussie Aussie

Just spitballing! Neery Christmas!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:02 am

OL and DB seems to be the holes remaining.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:15 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:02 am
OL and DB seems to be the holes remaining.
My thoughts as well. There are still a plenty of players entering the portal after their bowl games. Not having an OL coach has certainly hurt us thus far it seems. Hopefully we can still get an OL or two or three before the spring semester begins.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:29 pm

How has it helped or hurt us with OL commits? Did we have sone that were committed that are now "not committed"? Wade announcement was not that long ago.
The JUCO prospect decommit "his words" was not due to us not having OL coach or Wade leaving was my understanding. The other kid from Alabama chose to stay close to home I believe was another one..we had low odds anyway.
I do not follow our recruiting in detail as others...I am genuinely curious on who we had on the recruiting line as a commitment when Wade was here that we lost due to his departure.
Unless we got some famous OL position coach that just made a decision that Boone was the only place that they wanted to live, how many OL prospects were we going to flip from other schools at this position.
Overall, it may just not have been a great year recruiting at that position...and maybe the OL coach that was here for most of the recruiting cycle was not as successful as we thought he was at recruiting.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:31 pm

311neers wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:10 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:53 am
Wow I think I put out a similar thread last year looking for the 2022 depth and a few people were able to make reasonable stabs at it. Is this the most uncertain offseason in a long time? We had runs of several seasons where we knew the QB situation as well as most key positions. We also had the crazy extra Covid year with super seniors. Now the Portal and what seems to be a larger than normal graduation class has really put a dent in our roster. When was the last time we had to fill nearly half of the roster?
Not just filling half the roster with players, but filling starters and guys that actually play.

RB we know- Noel, Marshall, Robert, Castle, will sign 1 more for depth. (Bishop or Calhoun is my guess)
WR we know- Robinson, Davis, Stroman, Horn, Pinckney, the 2 transfers, Coen Sutton.
QB room is done, just dont know who wins the race. Burger, McBride, Tabscott, Aguilar and some clipboard guys.
DB- would think the JuCo Transfer kids get inserted immediately and rotate young guys.
DL- Earle, KaRon, Clark for run stuffers. Ends- Spellman, Hopper, the 3 DE transfers. Nate Johnson, Aj Mebane. We seem to be loaded on the DL now.Probably forgetting some pieces.
LBs- Not sure who is returning really since this was our most experienced group. McLeod, Arnholdt, Harrington? Cobb? Parker? Bird gone, doublin gone, hampton gone. We signed 4 LB's so feel like we lose alot at LB position.
OL- We have had solid classes with O line. Lindsay will play, Daley, Seth Williams, Bucky if he stays. Would assume we take 2 to 3 more JuCo/Transfers to get PT immediately or rotate heavily.
Kicker- Hughes (i think)
Punter - Aussie Aussie

Just spitballing! Neery Christmas!
Unless they're going to move him next year, Spellman was playing OLB this season
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:36 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:29 pm
How has it helped or hurt us with OL commits? Did we have sone that were committed that are now "not committed"? Wade announcement was not that long ago.
The JUCO prospect decommit "his words" was not due to us not having OL coach or Wade leaving was my understanding. The other kid from Alabama chose to stay close to home I believe was another one..we had low odds anyway.
I do not follow our recruiting in detail as others...I am genuinely curious on who we had on the recruiting line as a commitment when Wade was here that we lost due to his departure.
Unless we got some famous OL position coach that just made a decision that Boone was the only place that they wanted to live, how many OL prospects were we going to flip from other schools at this position.
Overall, it may just not have been a great year recruiting at that position...and maybe the OL coach that was here for most of the recruiting cycle was not as successful as we thought he was at recruiting.
Idk all the answer to your questions and I probably should have phrased my original statement better. I don't believe it has helped us not having an OL coach. Not sure if it had a negative effect because these players could have been leaning another direction to begin with as you mentioned. He was an effective recruiter who could have helped close the deal if any deals were close imo. You would think having an OL HC would alleviate some of that but it is an easy target for other schools to attack us on when battling for an OL commit/transfer.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:42 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:36 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:29 pm
Idk all the answer to your questions and I probably should have phrased my original statement better. I don't believe it has helped us not having an OL coach. Not sure if it had a negative effect because these players could have been leaning another direction to begin with as you mentioned. He was an effective recruiter who could have helped close the deal if any deals were close imo. You would think having an OL HC would alleviate some of that but it is an easy target for other schools to attack us on when battling for an OL commit/transfer.
There were a couple, three guys that the absence of Wade affected. I’m not going to say that he was the reason that they spurned us, but they were being recruited by Wade and had developed a relationship with him. His being gone removed that bridge. It is unfortunate, but it happens.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:08 pm

cheers
To building NEW bridges..... stronger, better, faster, and with better technique

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:48 pm

Picking up one O lineman in a class has bitten us before . Coaches tell me 3-4 under normal circumstances , given wash outs , injuries and need for development.Wade leaving cost us 2 or 3 , perhaps 1 more according to a trusted source.No one stepped up in the interim so here we are .Perhaps we can pick up a couple Spring or Summer.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:55 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:48 pm
Picking up one O lineman in a class has bitten us before . Coaches tell me 3-4 under normal circumstances , given wash outs , injuries and need for development.Wade leaving cost us 2 or 3 , perhaps 1 more according to a trusted source.No one stepped up in the interim so here we are .Perhaps we can pick up a couple Spring or Summer.
There is another aspect to the equation that needs to be acknowledged and that is the quality of the talent pool. Sometimes there isn’t enough quality in the quantity.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:55 pm
Stonewall wrote:
There is another aspect to the equation that needs to be acknowledged and that is the quality of the talent pool. Sometimes there isn’t enough quality in the quantity.
True , and often varies among positions year to year.We did make offers and host visitors that we wanted though and failed to close the deals.We have to find a way to make up for the misses.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:26 pm

Copied the list from above because it’s a pretty good start.

RB we know- Noel, Marshall, Robert, Castle, will sign 1 more for depth. (Bishop or Calhoun is my guess). Accurate
WR we know- Robinson, Davis, Stroman, Horn, Pinckney, the 2 transfers, Coen Sutton.(I would add Hetzel to the list and drop Pinckney and Sutton) Pinckney has done nothing in three years so no reason to expect anything going forward. Same for Sutton to this point but no reason to close the book yet. Young kid with a lot of promise.
QB room is done, just dont know who wins the race. Burger, McBride, Tabscott, Aguilar and some clipboard guys. It’s Burger, McBride, McHugh and Aguilar. I expect nothing from Tabscott.
DB- would think the JuCo Transfer kids get inserted immediately and rotate young guys. Strictly CBs: Ethan Johnson will be good as will Philyaw. Tucker is a good depth piece and Edwards was a true freshman this year that didn’t get any press. I expect that these four are in the mix and we will see what the transfers and JuCos bring to the table along with DJ VanHook
Safeties: Nick Ross is back at SS with Jordan Favors and I expect Burks to take over FS with Clarke backing him up. Plus a couple of the JuCo kids.
DL- Earle, KaRon, Clark for run stuffers. Accurate

Ends- Pailant, DDP, McKnight, Passagiata, Hopper, Haigler and Abrams Verwayne return. the 3 DE transfers. Nate Johnson, Aj Mebane. We seem to be loaded on the DL now.Probably forgetting some pieces. The top 6 and the transfers give you a solid depth and you still have the TF mentioned above and Josiah Wyatt.
LBs- inside you have Parker, Farrah, Arnholt who can play inside or outside, and Moffit and Gooch. Outside you have MCLeod, Gooch (can play both) Spellma and Sullivan. Harrington could come back but doubtful. signed 4 LB's so feel like we lose alot at LB position.
OL- Core of Helms, Bucky Williams and Everett. Daley might be back, I’m not sure. Ramsey and Samuel can play tackle along with Bucky and it’s time for Lindsay and Seth Williams to step up. You need 8-10 that are capable of consistency and this group is a solid start.
TE- Gibbs, Larkins and Wilson are a solid trio.
Kicker- Hughes (i think)
Punter - Aussie Aussie

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:33 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
True , and often varies among positions year to year.We did make offers and host visitors that we wanted though and failed to close the deals.We have to find a way to make up for the misses.
I think it is a good reason to run more misdirection and have a running quarterback. We don't have the linemen to impose our will on people. Roll him out...run screen plays....Run run/pass/options. More than one way to get yards if a guy (Or two) miss a block. Also on the spread offense we don't try to move them backwards we try to move them sideways which I would think needs less size and more quickness/technique.

https://www.football-tutorials.com/spread-offense-101/

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:53 pm

Seems like Tabscott may not be in the plans moving forward... SC did not mention him as a Scholarship QB during his presser today. mentioned Mcbride, Burger and the 2 signees from today.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:55 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:53 pm
Seems like Tabscott may not be in the plans moving forward... SC did not mention him as a Scholarship QB during his presser today. mentioned Mcbride, Burger and the 2 signees from today.
It would be safe to say that he never was.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:03 pm

Is the plans for Grant Tucker to play WR or DB? Or both?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:09 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
You also have to look at who you are losing out to. 12 of the 19 offers out to hs tackles went to P5s. 11 of the 18 offers to IOL went to P5s or schools moving up to P5 next year.
Our blocking scheme requires a certain skill set to function. Clark knows what he is looking for. But to the point that you need to get 3-4 guys a year, if you just get 3-4 guys to fill the quota and not viable options, you are setting yourself up for failure.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:10 pm

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:03 pm
I believe WR.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:38 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:44 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:42 am
My guess is that QB, DE, and safety will be wide open competitions. Maybe a couple other spots too.
For QB and Safety I would agree. The DEs rotate so much, there isn’t much difference in who starts and who comes in second. It’s all situational. The hope is that we have the pieces to have a very good group that is three deep.
Will the new Dline coach (whoever it may be) have the same affinity for rotating players in and out as often? seems like that was more Nunn's philosophy than others in the past

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:53 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:10 pm
GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:03 pm
I believe WR.
Talk about an excess of riches

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”