Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Just another recruiting discussion

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Just another recruiting discussion

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:17 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:32 pm
Not recruiting but this thread took a turn.

My youngest daughter "15" has plans to be a speech pathologist at AppState. (who knows if she will make it) but I have talked and known several speech pathologist from AppState. We have a great program. It is easy to get into our undergraduate program but VERY hard to get in our master's program and you need a master's in Speech Pathology to make money. (My understanding from conversations...no expert on the matter) What I am told is the admission to the master's program relies on the GRE score and our graduates are getting knocked out by other school's graduates. I am sure there will be different points of view of this next statement, but I would like to see App give preference to our own graduates before filling spots with other school graduates. Keep the money in the family.
I would think we want the best regardless of where they come from. Maybe the answer is for our undergrad program to improve if we can't compete.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:26 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:17 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

My youngest daughter "15" has plans to be a speech pathologist at AppState. (who knows if she will make it) but I have talked and known several speech pathologist from AppState. We have a great program. It is easy to get into our undergraduate program but VERY hard to get in our master's program and you need a master's in Speech Pathology to make money. (My understanding from conversations...no expert on the matter) What I am told is the admission to the master's program relies on the GRE score and our graduates are getting knocked out by other school's graduates. I am sure there will be different points of view of this next statement, but I would like to see App give preference to our own graduates before filling spots with other school graduates. Keep the money in the family.
I would think we want the best regardless of where they come from. Maybe the answer is for our undergrad program to improve if we can't compete.
I was expecting a response like this. I know two people in my small town who have Chappel Hill undergraduate degrees amd speech pathology master degrees from App. They both have season tickets for UNC and give to Rams club. Just an observation in my small world. I would keep it in the family. I imagine other master degrees are the same. At App but I don't know for a fact.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:28 pm

My Daughter is at ECU amd as long as she has a 3.0 or better she is automatically admitted to the master's program of her major.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:09 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:26 pm
bcoach wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

I was expecting a response like this. I know two people in my small town who have Chappel Hill undergraduate degrees amd speech pathology master degrees from App. They both have season tickets for UNC and give to Rams club. Just an observation in my small world. I would keep it in the family. I imagine other master degrees are the same. At App but I don't know for a fact.
Given the rapid advancements in that field, you really want to expose yourself to as many different programs as possible. App undergrad and somewhere else for graduate school is really kind of preferred.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:20 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:09 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
bcoach wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Given the rapid advancements in that field, you really want to expose yourself to as many different programs as possible. App undergrad and somewhere else for graduate school is really kind of preferred.
Are any of you Speech Language Pathologists? Just asking as you seem to speak with authority about these things.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:53 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:20 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:09 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
bcoach wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Are any of you Speech Language Pathologists? Just asking as you seem to speak with authority about these things.
Funny you should ask. My ex is. She has a Ph.D. and is a leading professor in the field.

I have my M.Ed., and it’s pretty much the same viewpoint in education these days.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:15 pm

My wife has her bachelors and masters in SLP from App. That's why I was asking.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:18 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:15 pm
My wife has her bachelors and masters in SLP from App. That's why I was asking.
There is definitely nothing wrong with that.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:17 am

All good, let's move on.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:12 am

Everyone I know got their masters at UNCG for speech pathology. 2 from App, 1 from NC State and 1 from Clemson. I’d just assumed App didn’t have a masters degree. All of this is very interesting and enlightening.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:51 am

spacemonkey wrote:
bcoach wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:23 am

It's move in day on the mountain! Welcome all early enrollees, hope ya brought a winter jacket!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:20 am

Snow expected this weekend in the High Country.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:37 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:20 am
Snow expected this weekend in the High Country.
Let's play some SNOW golf Charlie. LOL
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”