Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

So what becomes of transfer portal players that don't get picked up?

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: So what becomes of transfer portal players that don't get picked up?

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:18 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:00 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:48 pm
hapapp wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:28 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:56 pm
appdaze wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:48 pm
Good article

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -explained

"There isn't a scholarship available for everyone in the portal. In the 2021-22 cycle, only 61% of FBS players who entered the portal either found a new team or withdrew their name and stayed with their school. The other 39% did not find a scholarship position at an FBS school (although other variables, such as transferring to an FCS school or dropping out of the sport, factor into that)."
Very good! I think this is the new reality. Many outside of schools and the players wanted this. I'm at the point where I really don't care if the coaches tell them they need to go or they just decide to. Coaches can give them advice but they don't always listen anyway. There are a lot of players being told to leave and I just don't think it is fair for us to expect coaches to live with their offer for 4 years but a kid can just decide to leave within a year and it is not looked down on. Players have always been able to de-commit without his reputation being hurt but the school pulls the offer on a commit and it looks bad. This was being discussed on 247 as well and whether you like it or not it is the new normal.

We have folks who don't want Shawn telling a player he needs to go elsewhere to play but also demand he win the league title next year. You can't expect him to keep dead weight when he could go find quality players that can help the team. I know this sounds like pro football by cutting players but when players started getting paid that is exactly what we have.

By the way, talk to coaches and you will hear some crazy stories. With all the extra crap and stress coaches are dealing with from the portal and NIL, I think cutting players is fair. They can stay as a normal student and get a degree or transfer elsewhere. This is the new normal and you will see it continue to look more like pro football as we go.
So much for the "world class education" we promised them. I'm absolutely opposed to "cutting players" if they have done everything asked of them but become a starter or star or are even "dead weight." Got no problem if the coach lays out for the player his future with the program and then the kid decides he wants to leave. But, it should be the kid's choice. Obviously, for folks who aren't going to class and are not doing what's asked of them, the situation is different.
Do we know who was considered “dead weight” and who left on their own accord after understanding the situation? Keep in mind, some of these that were advised to leave had eligibility left but got their degrees.
That is a good question. I wonder how many total spots we have to give now? How many are returning as walk-ons? I am hoping we sign at least 25 from HS and JUCO, plus portal players. Is it about right that we have 30 spots to give right now?
I read we had like 38 guys graduate but a whole bunch probably still have a Covid year?? Have any of them said they are going to hang around for the extra season?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:26 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:16 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:06 pm
I know of one that is finishing his degree and was asked to stay but wanted to move on. I know of one that was told his scholarship wouldn’t be renewed but he has a degree.
So many different reasons as to why I'm sure as well. I was hoping most would so we could sign more. There are more and more stories of players being overlooked in high school right now due to all of these COVID seniors. Hopefully the staff gets this class correct and we can add some immediate impact players. One great thing about the portal is that we can get plenty of help and see a big turnaround. Sumrall showed us that a one-year turnaround is not too much to expect. We could easily go from 6-6 to 9-3 if the staff hits on these moves due to the fact our schedule is easier.
Given our past history in the portal and our issues with transfers, although that has been temporarily remediated. I’m not real confident that is going to be a savior for us.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Good article

"There isn't a scholarship available for everyone in the portal. In the 2021-22 cycle, only 61% of FBS players who entered the portal either found a new team or withdrew their name and stayed with their school. The other 39% did not find a scholarship position at an FBS school (although other variables, such as transferring to an FCS school or dropping out of the sport, factor into that)."
Very good! I think this is the new reality. Many outside of schools and the players wanted this. I'm at the point where I really don't care if the coaches tell them they need to go or they just decide to. Coaches can give them advice but they don't always listen anyway. There are a lot of players being told to leave and I just don't think it is fair for us to expect coaches to live with their offer for 4 years but a kid can just decide to leave within a year and it is not looked down on. Players have always been able to de-commit without his reputation being hurt but the school pulls the offer on a commit and it looks bad. This was being discussed on 247 as well and whether you like it or not it is the new normal.

We have folks who don't want Shawn telling a player he needs to go elsewhere to play but also demand he win the league title next year. You can't expect him to keep dead weight when he could go find quality players that can help the team. I know this sounds like pro football by cutting players but when players started getting paid that is exactly what we have.

By the way, talk to coaches and you will hear some crazy stories. With all the extra crap and stress coaches are dealing with from the portal and NIL, I think cutting players is fair. They can stay as a normal student and get a degree or transfer elsewhere. This is the new normal and you will see it continue to look more like pro football as we go.
So much for the "world class education" we promised them. I'm absolutely opposed to "cutting players" if they have done everything asked of them but become a starter or star or are even "dead weight." Got no problem if the coach lays out for the player his future with the program and then the kid decides he wants to leave. But, it should be the kid's choice. Obviously, for folks who aren't going to class and are not doing what's asked of them, the situation is different.
Do we know who was considered “dead weight” and who left on their own accord after understanding the situation? Keep in mind, some of these that were advised to leave had eligibility left but got their degrees.
No, but that doesn't matter because around here, speculation reigns.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:58 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Good article

True.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:10 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:26 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:16 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:06 pm
I know of one that is finishing his degree and was asked to stay but wanted to move on. I know of one that was told his scholarship wouldn’t be renewed but he has a degree.
So many different reasons as to why I'm sure as well. I was hoping most would so we could sign more. There are more and more stories of players being overlooked in high school right now due to all of these COVID seniors. Hopefully the staff gets this class correct and we can add some immediate impact players. One great thing about the portal is that we can get plenty of help and see a big turnaround. Sumrall showed us that a one-year turnaround is not too much to expect. We could easily go from 6-6 to 9-3 if the staff hits on these moves due to the fact our schedule is easier.
Given our past history in the portal and our issues with transfers, although that has been temporarily remediated. I’m not real confident that is going to be a savior for us.
Our school needs to clean this up because allowing this to linger just hurts us. It is really stupid to let this linger when you consider how important the portal is to building rosters now.

This won’t be an excuse because results are going to be expected or the boosters with a lot of saying and everyone on our boards will want a change.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:12 am

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Good article

I don’t think it is that important to know who they are anyway. I know many fans want to but that just isn’t going to be made public.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:12 am

How dare anyone speculate on a message board! The unmitigated gall that it takes to come to a fan site and speculate about one's team is just unforgivable. We should all be criticizing other people for having an opinion, and making sure everyone knows that "I am a better fan than you," not speculating about our team. Y'all need to get it together.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:44 am

appst89 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:12 am
How dare anyone speculate on a message board! The unmitigated gall that it takes to come to a fan site and speculate about one's team is just unforgivable. We should all be criticizing other people for having an opinion, and making sure everyone knows that "I am a better fan than you," not speculating about our team. Y'all need to get it together.
Don’t do that, or risk ruining a foul of Baghdad Boone.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:10 am

The portal completely destroys the student athlete concept that scholarships are designed for. We invest in an athlete and give them an opportunity to develop. Coaches also make a commitment to develop them. The portal makes that commitment on both sides a farce.

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:37 am

Rent a player time.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:52 am

yikas1 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:10 am
The portal completely destroys the student athlete concept that scholarships are designed for. We invest in an athlete and give them an opportunity to develop. Coaches also make a commitment to develop them. The portal makes that commitment on both sides a farce.
Exactly. The players and media wanted this though. Be careful what you ask for. It is no longer about scholarships for school and providing an educating. It is a business and these players are being treated like pros. I didn’t want things to be this way but it is how they are now. It’s why I have no issue with cutting players that you miss on. It’s not fair to hold a coach to his decision for 4 years but not hold players to that decision. Both sides should be able to freely back out now that we have a portal. It is all about winning and players getting theirs now. Sad to see it but it is and we all have to accept it because it is not going back.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:58 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:52 am
yikas1 wrote:
Exactly. The players and media wanted this thought. Be careful what you ask for. It is no longer about scholarships for school and providing an educating. It is a business and these players are being treated like pros. I didn’t want things to be this way but it is how they are now. It’s why I have no issue with cutting players that you miss on. It’s not fair to hold a coach to his decision for 4 years but not hold players to that decision. Both sides should be able to freely back out now that we have a portal. It is all about winning and players getting theirs now. Sad to see it but it is and we all have to accept it because it is not going back.
Truthfully, how many players at App do you think are treated like Pros? I know we have some limited NIL but lets not exaggerate too much on our guys being treated like pros. I would agree with you that if a kid is getting paid good money that it changes the dynamic of the relationship with the school (even thought the school isn't paying him) and I would not be that upset with cutting a kid like that who isn't performing. However, for the vast majority of kids on our roster all they get is the scholarship (and the incidentals associated with it like tutors, early registration, team meals, etc) and a promise of a world class education. If our coaches are going to preach the world class education and promise a chance for a degree, we need to honor that promise of a scholarship. Getting paid big money changes that.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:55 am

Just gonna leave this here and let y'all figure it out. "Student Athlete".....

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:05 am

Many players entering the portal, when are schools allowed to approach those in the portal? I would assume they rush the admission process to get players to arrive in the spring.

It's not the easiest to find information about the portal
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:35 am

appst89 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:12 am
I suppose that was directed at my post. Now you know good and well opinions are not what I was talking about. Speculation and opinion are totally different things. The speculation I am talking about refers to making assumptions without any facts to back them up, such as who is the dead weight. This is the kind of thing that starts rumors and can ruin reputations. We are all welcomed to have an opinion, but speculation as to why players are leaving, etc. should be tempered. I, sir, have it together. Following threads on this board sometimes makes difficult to keep it together, but that's what fun about it.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:33 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:58 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:52 am
yikas1 wrote:
Exactly. The players and media wanted this thought. Be careful what you ask for. It is no longer about scholarships for school and providing an educating. It is a business and these players are being treated like pros. I didn’t want things to be this way but it is how they are now. It’s why I have no issue with cutting players that you miss on. It’s not fair to hold a coach to his decision for 4 years but not hold players to that decision. Both sides should be able to freely back out now that we have a portal. It is all about winning and players getting theirs now. Sad to see it but it is and we all have to accept it because it is not going back.
Truthfully, how many players at App do you think are treated like Pros? I know we have some limited NIL but lets not exaggerate too much on our guys being treated like pros. I would agree with you that if a kid is getting paid good money that it changes the dynamic of the relationship with the school (even thought the school isn't paying him) and I would not be that upset with cutting a kid like that who isn't performing. However, for the vast majority of kids on our roster all they get is the scholarship (and the incidentals associated with it like tutors, early registration, team meals, etc) and a promise of a world class education. If our coaches are going to preach the world class education and promise a chance for a degree, we need to honor that promise of a scholarship. Getting paid big money changes that.
I read what you said on 247 and I get where you are coming from. FYI, I am 100% with you under previous rules. I also don't think we should push a guy out who is playing special teams and 3rd string who sees a few minutes here and there but with all the new rules it is okay to move on from a player who truly belongs at the FCS level or below.

I also think you have to consider that scholarships are year by year anyway. They are not fully guaranteed and a player can walk at any time now. It is not a fair expectation to tell a coach he has to keep a mistake for four years but a player does not have to stick with a school.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:23 pm

I know they are year by year. I also know that every coach on the recruiting trial promises the kid and family that as long as he does what is required he will have the opportunity to graduate. No coach tells the recruit that if they don't live up to the athletic bar that is set for them that they will be let go, it doesn't happen. No kids would commit to that. Funny think is that it happens with academic scholarships, if your gpa falls, the scholarship goes away. That is known from the start. It the coaches told the kids that they would lose their scholarship if they can't crack the two deep by year 3, I would have no issue in pulling it. Since they aren't that transparent, they need to live with their promises of an education.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:04 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:23 pm
I know they are year by year. I also know that every coach on the recruiting trial promises the kid and family that as long as he does what is required he will have the opportunity to graduate. No coach tells the recruit that if they don't live up to the athletic bar that is set for them that they will be let go, it doesn't happen. No kids would commit to that. Funny think is that it happens with academic scholarships, if your gpa falls, the scholarship goes away. That is known from the start. It the coaches told the kids that they would lose their scholarship if they can't crack the two deep by year 3, I would have no issue in pulling it. Since they aren't that transparent, they need to live with their promises of an education.
I get what you are saying and in a perfect world I agree but let me ask the same question that use to be asked players could not make a dime or transfer. Do you find it fair that a coach should be forced to uphold a scholarship offer for four years when a player does not have to take that scholarship for four years? If players can transfer freely should coaches not be allowed to correct a mistake that they make? If players can de-commit just before signing day, get paid, transfer freely, and quit on their team late in the year just to play in the Senior Bowl and prep for the draft should a coach not be allowed to withdrew an offer to a commit or decide after two years to move on from that player?

We can't expect to hold Shawn to a high standard of 10+ wins every year if we keep a lot of dead weight around. Players are given a lot to go to practice, play games, and contribute to the team. I won't get mad if there are 2-3 players that just aren't contributing and you need those slots to upgrade the roster because of the way the landscape has changed. Now, I think the fair thing to do is help place them at FCS schools where they can play and not just forget them but players have to contribute. They are getting too much and expectations are too high to allow 25 players to just sit and waste a scholarship that could go to a good player in the portal or highly regarded high school prospect.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:34 pm

I have zero issue with having hard talks with players and letting them know where they stand on the team, but if they want to stay they should be allowed to do so. And I have no issue with players having some freedom to leave as they wish. Coaches have been using that freedom for years (prior to the portal) and kids have always transferred out in search of greener pastures. It is much more of a thing now that nobody has to sit and can play immediately but it did happen on albeit a much smaller level in the past. Sure, kids have some power now for the first time. I don't think that changes the schools responsibility at all. And I don't see kids that aren't able to produce as projected despite their best efforts as dead weight.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:18 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:04 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:23 pm
I get what you are saying and in a perfect world I agree but let me ask the same question that use to be asked players could not make a dime or transfer. Do you find it fair that a coach should be forced to uphold a scholarship offer for four years when a player does not have to take that scholarship for four years? If players can transfer freely should coaches not be allowed to correct a mistake that they make? If players can de-commit just before signing day, get paid, transfer freely, and quit on their team late in the year just to play in the Senior Bowl and prep for the draft should a coach not be allowed to withdrew an offer to a commit or decide after two years to move on from that player?

We can't expect to hold Shawn to a high standard of 10+ wins every year if we keep a lot of dead weight around. Players are given a lot to go to practice, play games, and contribute to the team. I won't get mad if there are 2-3 players that just aren't contributing and you need those slots to upgrade the roster because of the way the landscape has changed. Now, I think the fair thing to do is help place them at FCS schools where they can play and not just forget them but players have to contribute. They are getting too much and expectations are too high to allow 25 players to just sit and waste a scholarship that could go to a good player in the portal or highly regarded high school prospect.
Would you stop referring to players who may be doing all that is asked of them but become starters as dead weight. Some folks act like these young folks are chess pieces.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”